Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Marathon Water Heaters

I have an electric water heater in my cottage that is original to the home. It was built in 1956 give or take a year. Yes, that is correct...1956. It is a small 19 gallon and runs on 120 volts. It has worked well since we bought the place in 2001.
I'm starting to get pretty nervous about this thing giving out, it is installed under the kitchen sink cabinet and if it burst it would make quite a mess.
Does anybody have any experience with the Marathon water heaters? They have a 20 gallon model that will run on 120 and I believe it would fit in my crawl space.
Any other alternatives that won't cost an arm and a leg? We only have 60 Amp service to the house so I'm thinking a demand water heater would be out of the question.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I have an electric water heater in my cottage that is original to the home. It was built in 1956 give or take a year. Yes, that is correct...1956. It is a small 19 gallon and runs on 120 volts. It has worked well since we bought the place in 2001.
I'm starting to get pretty nervous about this thing giving out, it is installed under the kitchen sink cabinet and if it burst it would make quite a mess.
Does anybody have any experience with the Marathon water heaters? They have a 20 gallon model that will run on 120 and I believe it would fit in my crawl space.
Any other alternatives that won't cost an arm and a leg? We only have 60 Amp service to the house so I'm thinking a demand water heater would be out of the question.
Thay are good units if you go the electric route.
The electric company should be able to get you a discount or rebate
Good luck
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
songkrai

Marathon through the NH Electric Coop is an excellent choice.
Do check dimensions of all.
The tank has live time warranty. The internals have a 6 year warranty.
Do a price comparison to the big box stores.

My electric heaters (not Marathon) last about 8 years. A lot depends on minerals in water and how often it is drained.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

There are being marketed separately now.... but they are made by Rheem... and well they have been around for years....

I looked at getting a Marthon unit back when I replaced my water heater a few years ago, and I remember think to my self that it was an excelent investment, if I was going to keep the place for a while....
Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
songkrai

23 1/2" x 34 1/2" for a 20 gallon.

Looks like they make two 20 gallons same size. Possibly a 110 and a 220.

Note though that the NH Electric Coop only offers one 20 gallon.

Last edited by songkrai; 07-25-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling (again)
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links