Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you ever climbed Mt. Major?
Yes 305 58.65%
No 215 41.35%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Jan

Default All About Mt. Major

I'd like to take the kids for a hike up Mt. Major this year but first I'd like to get some some idea what I may be in for. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has been there and done that.
  1. Is it too hard a hike for kids from 8-10?
  2. How long will it take for the whole round trip and a little time at the top?
  3. Are there any restrooms at the bottom, top or along the way?
  4. Are there views along the way in case we don't make it to the top?
  5. What is the climb like? Rocky, sandy, steep?

Thanks, J
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
BBS

Default Mt. Major

We hope to do the Mt. Major trail this spring although I did notice that this web site rated it a "Difficult" trail. I'm not sure why.

http://www.lakesregion-nh.com/year_r...ng/hiking.html

Locke's Hill in Gilford might be more in line with what you're looking for if you want a "kid friendly" hike.

http://www.lakesregion-nh.com/year_r...ckes_hill.html

Last edited by BBS; 04-09-2004 at 01:08 PM.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Mt. Major

Do you need one of those state forest hiking stickers for your vehicle or does that apply only in the state forests?
I hope to make it up there this season.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
dcr
Deceased Member

Default Parking at Mt Major

You are probably thinking of the National Forest when you refer to fees for parking, or a parking sticker. The state does not (yet) make any such requirement, unless that is a brand new policy instituted just recently - I just went through the website of the Division of Forests and Lands (which is responsible for state forests) and did not find any mention of such a fee.
dcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Parking at Mt Major

That must be what I was thinking of. The National Forest. Thanks DCR.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #6
Long Bay Guy

Default Mt. Major

I climb Mt. Major with my 7-year-old daughter each fall. I have been doing this with her since she was four and she has never had any problems although she is very athletic. Keep in mind we are avid hikers and hike about a dozen peaks a year (most considerably harder then Major).

It usually takes us 2-3 hours round trip, with about a 30 minute lunch stop at the top for lunch and a couple of 15 minute breaks.

There are plenty of restrooms, one behind each tree , there are no conventional ones however.

There are a few views on the way up but most are 2/3 or more up.

There are two trails to the top, the one most everyone uses, stay to the left when you come to the fork, is shorter but steeper. It is fairly rocky but reasonable as long as it's not too wet or snowy (there was snow on the ground when we hiked up in '02). We usually go up that way and come down the back. Most people don't seem to know about the other way down so it is usually much quieter.

Don't go on a weekend or holiday or you'll enjoy the views with a few hundred other hikers.

It is one of the nicest views for the effort that you can make so enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I'd like to take the kids for a hike up Mt. Major this year but first I'd like to get some some idea what I may be in for. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has been there and done that.

Thanks, J
Long Bay Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
george b

Default Mt. Major

It's a great climb with or without kids. We did it it when the kids were 5, 7 and 9 , and they did it with no problem. Red Hill was also a good hike, eventually they did Mt Washington. Now the're teenagers and I can't get them to take out the trash.
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan

Thanks, J
I've been up Mt. Major about 10-15 times over the years. As for your questions:

+ For kids 8-10 -- No problem at all. I've taken 3 year olds up Major, and bigger mountains.
+ Round trip -- Figure an hour up and an hour down (at a leisurely pace with kids).
+ Restrooms? This is a joke, right?
+ There are view along the way -- but none as good as the top. Top has great views of the Lake, and particularly of Alton Bay and the Ossipees.
+ Climb is about as mellow as they come in the region. Never too steep, generally woodland trails, well-marked, with some rocky outcroppings to scale toward the end. It's a nice, easy climb.

Have fun.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #9
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by george b
It's a great climb with or without kids. We did it it when the kids were 5, 7 and 9 , and they did it with no problem. Red Hill was also a good hike, eventually they did Mt Washington. Now the're teenagers and I can't get them to take out the trash.
Hmmm...I have this same problem with teenagers and the trash.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #10
chocophile

Default Mt. Major Hike

Two additional thoughts (beyond those mentioned):
1. I think some of the times quoted are a little ambitious if you're not an avid hiker. Our son (age 10) was fine, but an adult in our party needed some rest along the way. Bring water!

2. There really are a lot of people on that trail, and parking at the trail head is difficult. Do try to go at "off" times.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
nj2nh

Default Mt. Major for kids

My husband has been taking my boys, now 8 and 10, up Mt. Major for several years. I think my youngest was probably 3 when he first went up. I have done it and use that time to go shopping now. Anyway, it is really an easy hike - probably easier for kids than some adults. However, there is a rocky area with a steep climb near the top. Just wanted to warn you.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:52 AM   #12
lakegirl

Smile

I agree with Jersey Girl. It is a pretty easy hike. My husband and I took my daughter up last summer when she was 1 ( in a baby hiking carrier ). In the past we have taken our dog up and our looking forward to bringing our new puppy as well. The views are awesome on a clear day.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
abay

As was mentioned already, there are two trails available from the Rte. 11 trailhead. The left at the fork (about 2/3 of the way up) is the more difficult, yet more scenic and popular. The difficulty is primarily due to a somewhat steep rock scramble near the summit. Taking a right at the fork results in a much more gradual climb.

My kids would hike with me from about age 4 and up. We went so often that they knew the route better than most. Would always beat me to the top.

I like to make it into a circular hike, returning on the easier route, even though it is slightly longer. (Downhill is always the more difficult on the knees).

Regardless, make sure you have appropriate footwear. Ankle support is needed, and the rocks at the top can be very slippery.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Got Kids?

There is a cool website that has a list of trails for kids. www.geocaching.com It will turn a trail into a treasure hunt. If you have a GPS you can download the quadrients. The site teaches the kids how to use a GPS as well as get them interested in hiking.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote