Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Island Lover

Default "Speed Limits are there to protect you" - USCGA

"Why do communities have Speed Limits on the Water" from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/pr...eedlimits.html

I guess there WAS more than one article in the series!

(More spin please)
Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover
"Why do communities have Speed Limits on the Water" from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

http://www.auxguidanceskills.info/pr...eedlimits.html

I guess there WAS more than one article in the series!

(More spin please)
Good Call... i missed that one...

Woodsy
Old 01-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
ITD

Island Lover,

When are you going to find one that is pertinent to open water. Talk about spin. This one talks about a waterway/viaduct that are essentially no wake zones. Nobody is arguing no wake zones. Keep them coming I know you have more. Maybe you'll find at least one that supports your case for an open water speed limit.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
islandAl

Default Do you bother to read your articles before posting

Or is it just the title that you like.
From the article I was unable to cut and paste so I will write a couple of lines

5mph speed limit ... navigable passageway was at best twenty feet across

The slower the boat (i.e. when a boat is not on plane): depending on hull configuration and design, the larger the wake. As a general rule. the larger the wake, the more dangerous the wake.

all of a sudden a series of jetski's and small runabouts come zooming along

end of quotes
Gee we already have laws about headway speed with in 150 feet of another boat, shore etc. does where ever they were? The jetski's and small runabouts (note, no GFBL) were already breaking the posted limit of 5mph, why would a 45 mph limit help?
My boat barely makes it over 50, but when at that speed, it also barely leaves a wake.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Island Lover

Here is a quote from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

"Speed Limits are there to protect you" - USCGA

Spin, Spin, Spin - Spin all you want, it's the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary saying that "Speed Kills" and "Speed Limits Protect You"!

Why don't you contact the USCGA and tell them how wrong they are.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
islandAl

Default who is spinning what

You grab a title that is meant to attact readers, just like the newspapers do, but the article is about jetski's and small runabout exceeding a 5 mph limit is a 20 foot wide channel and want to SPIN that into supporting a 45 limit on a large lake. We have NWZ and 150 limits already.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Fat Jack

Default Titles mean nothing?

Quote:
it's the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary saying that "Speed Kills" and "Speed Limits Protect You"!
IL,
Don't waste your time arguing. These articles are just very painful to some and they will look for any word or phrase in them that is unrelated to try to claim that the whole article is therefore unrelated. Their titles say it all. You could find an article written by the Admiral of the Coast Guard entitled "NH's Lakes Should Have Speed Limits" and these guys would argue with you that its title is irrelevant. I guess these authors just did not know how to entitle their own stories.

So let's see, you so far have the USCGA's National Public Affairs Division Chief saying "Speed Kills on the Water" and "Speed limits are there to protect you, other boaters, and water users, as well as the environment”. But this is irrelevant? It's too bad our Director of Marine Safety would not get on the same page with the USCGA.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Here is a quote from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

"Speed Limits are there to protect you" - USCGA

Spin, Spin, Spin - Spin all you want, it's the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary saying that "Speed Kills" and "Speed Limits Protect You"!

Why don't you contact the USCGA and tell them how wrong they are.

Spin, Spin, Spin, Island Lover, that is what YOU are doing. There is a term for this, its called projection, you take actions that you yourself use and accuse everyone else of doing the same thing.

You still haven't provided anything to substantiate your position keep trying though you just might find something.

A Speed Limit is not necessary on Lake Winnipesaukee.

This is only the first step in an attempt by exclusionists who want to remove all but their own boats from the lake using what ever SCARE tactics they can think of.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
This is only the first step in an attempt by exclusionists who want to remove all but their own boats from the lake using what ever SCARE tactics they can think of.
Give them a break. The facts are on the table and I'm sure the proper decision will be made. They're just attempting a last ditch effort to conclude their adjenda

Last edited by Cal; 01-06-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Bear Lover

You guys should really drop this part of the argument and move on. Face it, you lost this round!

99% of the people that read these articles understand what they are saying. Only the 1% that read them looking for a reason to discredit them will come to the conclusions you are.

Are we supposed to read these articles and believe the auxilliary are saying "Speed Doesn't Kill" or "Speed Limits are not there to protect you"?

The message from the coast guard is that speed kills and speed limits protect you. You just can't spin that.

Isn't this whole thing pretty much over now anyway? Even the oppose 162 site has not been updated in months. They don't even have the revised version of HB162 posted. They still have the original, Winnipesaukee only, version that is no where near as good for their argument.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
Woodsy

Bear Lover...

I really don't see any of this debate as a loss. You guys claim its a "Safety Issue". Yet I have been able to post facts and statistics from the U.S. COAST GUARD that refute that. If you are so sure of your victory, POST SOME FACTS AND STATISTICS!

If the USCG and USCGA are so pro-speed limit, how come to date you have been able to find and post only two articles? Neither of which are offical U.S. Government Publications. Why do they not publicy advocate for a nationwide speed limit? How conme the National Transportation Safety Bulletin makes no mention of excessive speed as a cause of boat accidents? Certainly is excessive speed were an issue the NTSB would be on top of it!

I have posted accident numbers and statistics from NH. Where are your numbers from NH? Where are your factsfrom NH? All this talk about spin yet your side cannot refute any of the numbers I posted.

I am still waiting for numbers... good thing I am not holding my breath!

The fight to protect my personal freedoms is never done!

Woodsy
Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
winnilaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
They don't even have the revised version of HB162 posted. They still have the original, Winnipesaukee only, version that is no where near as good for their argument.
Thanks, got that updated.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Bear Lover

Woodsy

All the numbers and statistics that a reasonable person needs have been posted. There will never be enough numbers and statistics for the few who are doggedly fighting a losing battle.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Why do they not publicy advocate for a nationwide speed limit?
This author, Wayne Spivak, has a pretty impressive resume;

from http://www.writers.net/writers/16814
"Mr. Spivak joined the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary (Freeport Flotilla 13-06, 1st Southern District) after spending seven years in the United States Power Squadrons. As a member of the USCG Auxiliary, Mr. Spivak, on the Flotilla (local) level is an Instructor, the Webmaster, and soon to be a Vessel Safety Examiner and Marine Dealer Vistor. He is also finishing the Boat Crew program, before undertaking the Coxswain program.
He is still a member of USPS (where he was the Chief Information Officer) and is also a member of the Canadian Power Squadrons. In addition, he is a consultant with, and the Chief Information Officer for the United Safe Boating Institute and as well as a member of the National Safe Boating Council. An accomplished freelance writer, Mr. Spivak has over 125 published articles under his belt."

Seems he should know of what he writes, and know how to entitle his articles to say what he means; "Speed kills on water".
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
Lakewinniboater

Default Think again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
Isn't this whole thing pretty much over now anyway? Even the oppose 162 site has not been updated in months. They don't even have the revised version of HB162 posted. They still have the original, Winnipesaukee only, version that is no where near as good for their argument.
Far from it. It isn't updated because people from your organization were going on with ASSUMED names. Trying to be sneaky and infiltrate the opposition. If you really looked at this whole situation, you would see that some people aren't being reasonable. It isn't the american way to exclude people because they may not agree with you!

I hope that our politician will see their way threw to a healthy compromise.

Last edited by Lakewinniboater; 01-06-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
Bear Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinniboater
Far from it. It isn't updated because people from your organization were going on with ASSUMED names. Trying to be sneaky and infiltrate the opposition. If you really looked at this whole situation, you would see that some people aren't being reasonable. It isn't the american way to exclude people because they may not agree with you!

I hope that our politician will see their way threw to a healthy compromise.
I honestly don't understand what you are saying. I assume by "your organization" you mean WinnFABS.

I don't know anything about people infiltrating the "Oppose HB162" website. But even if they are, how does that prevent winnilaker from updating the original version of the legislation to the revised version? Perhaps you misunderstood what was being discussed.

If you want to make an accusation please be more plain.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Seaplane Pilot

Cool Loose lips sink ships...

The anti-speed limit crusade is far from over. Better to keep quiet in these public forums and focus our attention and time on the decision makers in order to make them understand that a speed limit is a bogus attempt to "cleanse" the lake of undesireables...
Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
rickstr66

Default Bear Lover

"Are we supposed to read these articles and believe the auxilliary are saying "Speed Doesn't Kill" or "Speed Limits are not there to protect you"?"

If the fire cheif writes an article titled "Town is at the highest risk ever for sever fire outbreaks" Then it goes on to say how the local fire department hasnt gotten a cost of living increase in years and guys are starting to choose a different line of work because of it. Is the town really at its highest risk ever for fires? Just because the title of an article says one thing doesn't mean thats the crux of the article and in the case of the aux. coast guard article posted it, certianly seems to fall under this catagory.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
Island Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstr66
"Are we supposed to read these articles and believe the auxilliary are saying "Speed Doesn't Kill" or "Speed Limits are not there to protect you"?"

If the fire cheif writes an article titled "Town is at the highest risk ever for sever fire outbreaks" Then it goes on to say how the local fire department hasnt gotten a cost of living increase in years and guys are starting to choose a different line of work because of it. Is the town really at its highest risk ever for fires? Just because the title of an article says one thing doesn't mean thats the crux of the article and in the case of the aux. coast guard article posted it, certianly seems to fall under this catagory.
So these articles are saying the exact opposite of what their titles are.

Do you people realize how absolutely ridiculous your arguments are becoming? I'm not sure I can continue along this line, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Any reasonable person reading your arguments is laughing.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
ITD

Quote:
So these articles are saying the exact opposite of what their titles are.

Do you people realize how absolutely ridiculous your arguments are becoming? I'm not sure I can continue along this line, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Any reasonable person reading your arguments is laughing.
Quitter, you've proven nothing.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #21
Lakegeezer

Default Seatbelts and Cycle Helmets

If safety is the point of argument - why isn't there more focus on seatbelt and cycle helmet laws first. Lack of wearing belts and helmets killed more people last year in New Hampshire than have been killed by speed on our lake in the last 100 years. If you must, focus on something that will make a difference.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #22
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down Speed Limit & The Death Penalty

Thursday's paper reported that the esteemed State Rep, Jim Pilliod (R-Belmont) "co-sponsored a statute that spares teens under age 18 from getting the death penalty for capital murder. The age had been 17." Of course, this is the same State Rep that sponsored HB 162, which proposes the speed limits. Talk about rational thinking? So all you Winnfabs, next time some 17 year old punk bashes in the skull of one of your friends or family, you'll be relieved to know that he won't get the death penalty once convicted of capital murder. Rep Pilliod thinks that the 17 year old should not be responsible for his actions and therefore not receive the death penalty. This speaks volumes about his sponsorship of HB 162's baseless, lame attempt to mandate a speed limit in the name of safety. He should be more concerned with the public's safety against 17 year old murderers that will now know they won't get the death penalty thanks to Rep Pilliod.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #23
Island Lover

When you have lost the argument....

Change the subject!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #24
KonaChick

How about those Patriots?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
Fat Jack

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
Rep, Jim Pilliod (R-Belmont) co-sponsored a statute that spares teens under age 18 from getting the death penalty for capital murder. The age had been 17.
SP,
I'm confused (as I usually get after trying to figure out what some of these posts are trying to say). Does this mean that boats going 125MPH across a crowded lake are safe? If a rep sponsors a bill that you do not agree with, are all the other bills that he has ever sponsored then invalid? What does a "capital punishment for minors" bill have to do with Lake Winnipesaukee? What does this bill have to do with HB162 except that maybe constituents from the same district asked the same rep to sponsor both? Are they considering adding a capital punishment provision to HB162? Good idea (said in jest).
Besides all that, if "the age had been 17", wouldn't that 17 year old have been immune from the death penalty before anyway?