Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Lakes Region Chimney Pro

My old chimney sweep retired and EnergySaves in Meredith recommended a company called Lakes Region Chimney Pro. These guys were just great to deal with!

Two younger guys came out to my house. I was impressed with how knowledgable and polite they both were. The owner of this company should be very proud of his staff.

So good to see the younger generation working hard and taking pride in their work!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
My old chimney sweep retired and EnergySaves in Meredith recommended a company called Lakes Region Chimney Pro. These guys were just great to deal with!

Two younger guys came out to my house. I was impressed with how knowledgable and polite they both were. The owner of this company should be very proud of his staff.

So good to see the younger generation working hard and taking pride in their work!
I've used them a few times and they did a great job but every time they come out they try to upsell me something for my chimney. Just be aware because there's really no money in just cleanings.
It's like going to the dentist for just a cleaning, they always seem to find something else wrong to get you back again.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
SteveO123

I had a great experience with them. Recommended!
SteveO123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've used them a few times and they did a great job but every time they come out they try to upsell me something for my chimney. Just be aware because there's really no money in just cleanings.
It's like going to the dentist for just a cleaning, they always seem to find something else wrong to get you back again.
I would disagree there is no money for the sweep in cleaning chimneys. In most cases, there are little to no supplies to be expended. For a nice round figure, let's say the sweep is charging $100 for the cleaning. My sweep uses an 8 in brush for the insulated pipe, and then a 6 in brush for the stove pipe from the stove to the reducer. Once that's done, it's inside to loosen the slip pipe and stove connecting pipe, slide it up, and open the stove pipe to vacuum out the chimney soot off the combustion blanket in the top portion of the stove. Chimney is inspected, and all is reconnected and done.
Whatever time is spent at the premises is mostly all profit, if you will. Our sweep schedules, to the extent possible, multiple appointments in the same community or area. Very little travel time.
Just my opinion. I could do the work myself, but I am not happy going up on the roof, working with the stove pipe in the house, and I like having our sweep checking out the chimney annually. Oh, and only once has he recommended something be done (chimney cap be replaced, told me I could do it if I wanted to, and did. ). I have been dealing with him for over 20 yrs.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I would disagree there is no money for the sweep in cleaning chimneys. In most cases, there are little to no supplies to be expended. For a nice round figure, let's say the sweep is charging $100 for the cleaning. My sweep uses an 8 in brush for the insulated pipe, and then a 6 in brush for the stove pipe from the stove to the reducer. Once that's done, it's inside to loosen the slip pipe and stove connecting pipe, slide it up, and open the stove pipe to vacuum out the chimney soot off the combustion blanket in the top portion of the stove. Chimney is inspected, and all is reconnected and done.
Whatever time is spent at the premises is mostly all profit, if you will. Our sweep schedules, to the extent possible, multiple appointments in the same community or area. Very little travel time.
Just my opinion. I could do the work myself, but I am not happy going up on the roof, working with the stove pipe in the house, and I like having our sweep checking out the chimney annually. Oh, and only once has he recommended something be done (chimney cap be replaced, told me I could do it if I wanted to, and did. ). I have been dealing with him for over 20 yrs.

Dave

You obviously have never owned a small business and don't realize all the other expenses that go along with running one. Workers Comp Insurance rates for employees going on roofs have some of the highest rates. And if they don't have insurance you don't want them on your roof. There's a lot more expenses than a few brushes and a vacuum.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Actually I have. My wife had a retail shop and in setting up Quickbooks, in brief, we inputted expenses, the cost of the inventory, and various margins needed to bring a profit. This gave us the pricing for the items in the store, with some items having a greater margin than others. Some items were loss leaders, with low margins, acting as enticement to buy, and other items had higher margins and were the source of the profit.
Without going back 20 years, if memory serves me right, the cost of my cleaning over the years has increased by around $40 - $50 , which I'm sure was necessitated by a rise in expenses, and to ensure a continuing profit.
My chimney sweep wouldn't still be in the business for over 30 yrs if he wasn't making a living (profit).
Again, just my opinion, obviously yours may be different.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Biggd

My Workers Comp is $50 per week per employee and I'm not at the highest rate. It doesn't sound like a lot but when you add it up with all the other expenses, vehicle, repairs, tools, gas, taxes, there's not much profit in just cleanings. Running any small business is challenging today.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
StevenGilford

My friend Kris works at Lakes Region Chimney Pros. I had him install a chimney liner. Echo the positive reviews above!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote