Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Phantom

Default Rinnai Direct Vent Gas Heaters

The Forum has always been a good source of recommendations, painters, plumbers, GC's -

If you follow my posts, you will know that last Fall we purchased a condo < Gilford >.

With that said, we need recommendations for a reliable Company to service two existing Rinnai direct vent gas heaters. There is no documented history (or even manuals) on when they were last looked at and although we made it through this past winter with no issues, I really don't want to push my luck any further.

Thanks all

Old 06-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Amerigas in Laconia is a Rinnai dealer/installer.

By the way, I've had a Rinnai 22k-btu propane direct vent heater that I installed myself in about 1997, and it has never needed any type of servicing, and continues to work super-duper ..... so's what is the issue you are having with your Rinnai?
Misha888 (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
codeman671

We had one for a few years, other than taking the covers off and vacuuming out pet hair it worked without needing any type of service.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

We currently have one in our camp and the only servicing required is to blow off the top of the burners (yearly), check the inlet water filter screen (yearly) and ensure the vent does not get blocked by spiders or other insects (yearly). This is all extremely simple to do.

Unless its not functioning properly, I think you would be wasting your money to pay for a servicing...

Owners / instruction manuals for these units can be found online here... http://www.rinnai.us/customer-care

Dan
Phantom (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Phantom

Thank you all ......

Never had gas heaters in the past and as it is a relatively new place for us, not knowing what has been or not been serviced, we were looking to error on the safe side.

Same as we did when we got the fireplace chimney swept last Fall (-only to find it was in fine shape).

Regarding the Service Manual -- That is part of the problem as well. The Rinnai site does not have the manual for the specific model number of our unit. There are units looking similar, but not our specific version. Web searches have produced similar results.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
TheProfessor

These two specialize in gas/propane appliances and/or furnace.
Both come highly recommended.

1. S.V. APPLIANCE REPAIR
70 Durgin rd
Tuftonboro, NH 03816
(603) 724-0545

2. Christian Repair
Tilton, NH
603-455-5438
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-10-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
The Forum has always been a good source of recommendations, painters, plumbers, GC's -

If you follow my posts, you will know that last Fall we purchased a condo < Gilford >.

With that said, we need recommendations for a reliable Company to service two existing Rinnai direct vent gas heaters. There is no documented history (or even manuals) on when they were last looked at and although we made it through this past winter with no issues, I really don't want to push my luck any further.

Thanks all

You've gotten some good advice on keeping filters clean and vacuuming out the housing of hair, dust, etc. These units are bullet proof and need basically no maintenance other than what you can do, but a while back they did have a recall on some of the units for potential danger.

https://www.rinnai.us/customer-care/recall-info

If you don't feel comfortable doing these simple things yourself, then by all means contact your gas supplier to do the service.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Phantom (06-21-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Phantom

Well, just wanted to close out this thread by thanking SWNOEL.

Your post threw us into certainty that we were not going to simply dust & clean the units.

As mentioned, we bought the Condo a year ago with no records of service to the units nor manuals. As it turns out, we had a "Proffessional" come in to service our two units only to find that one indeed had a serious recall on it and our unit was on the verge of dangerously failing !!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #9
swnoel

Quote:
Well, just wanted to close out this thread by thanking SWNOEL.

Your post threw us into certainty that we were not going to simply dust & clean the units.

As mentioned, we bought the Condo a year ago with no records of service to the units nor manuals. As it turns out, we had a "Proffessional" come in to service our two units only to find that one indeed had a serious recall on it and our unit was on the verge of dangerously failing !!

Glad I could help.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Phantom

Resurrecting this thread again --

Need a recommendation for a PROFESSIONAL to simply service & clean our two Rinnai direct vent gas heaters ................ Gilford area

We used Foley Oil last time, but they no longer service the Rinnai's.

S.V Appliance (above post#6) does not work on heaters -- only appliances .....
Spartan Mechanical was OUTRAGEOUS

Any others ?

please do not tell me how simple it is to do myself ........... I want it looked at by a Professional -- last time the serviceman found a recall part that wasn't replaced.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

Need a recommendation for a PROFESSIONAL to simply service & clean our two Rinnai direct vent gas heaters ................ Gilford area

Any others ?

please do not tell me how simple it is to do myself ........... I want it looked at by a Professional -- last time the serviceman found a recall part that wasn't replaced.

Cooling Unlimited installed mine in Laconia. Although they are in Reading, MA Dennis does a lot of installs in the area. 781-944-1030
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:

Any others ?

Phantom,

Just an FYI... I have had my on demand for almost 10 years now. About 6 years ago, I like you thought I should have it serviced. When I called the installer he asked if it was not running right. I said no it’s running fine just thought it was time for servicing. He then said there is really nothing to service but he jokingly said he would be glad to come out charge me a service call to “look it over”.... Still problem free after 10 years!

FWIW,

Dan
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Phantom,

Just an FYI... I have had my on demand for almost 10 years now. About 6 years ago, I like you thought I should have it serviced. When I called the installer he asked if it was not running right. I said no it’s running fine just thought it was time for servicing. He then said there is really nothing to service but he jokingly said he would be glad to come out charge me a service call to “look it over”.... Still problem free after 10 years!

FWIW,

Dan
It's worth running an acid flush through the pipes every few years to get rid of any scale/minerals/etc and keep the efficiency up. Ideally your unit was installed with shutoffs on the water inlet and outlet and service valves to make this a simple process.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
8gv

Recently I was in the market for a Rinnai heater.

I found one through their website.

The work is in Newmarket and is scheduled for completion on 11/21.

After that I may be able to offer up a reference.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Cooling unlimited installed 2 in my house and I love them. You do need to run the water for a few minutes to reach temperature especially if you have not used the hot water in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Additionally, the water in the pipe from the heater to the faucet will cool down quickly. When there is a new demand for hot water, it can take a few moments for hot water to make it from the heater to the faucet, just as it does with a conventional heater.
Some people do get upset at that delay because they think it is "instant" hot water.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Talking about the space heater, not the water heater, I installed a small Rinai direct vent model, about 20,000 btu, about twenty years ago, and it has worked perfectly ever since with no nothing needed. Just turn it on, and it works using 110v, propane, and air to make hot air heat ...... warm, dry, and totally clean to breath... installed in the living room, on the north side, tucked away from the wind.

Have great faith in the Rinai direct vent space heaters, but would not use a non-vented or ventless Rinai space heater, no matter what anybody claims.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #18
Phantom

Thank you iShoot ............ and others

Not having had propane heaters in the past, I tend to treat them like a chimney (needs cleaning every other year or so based on use)

Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Two Rinnai Installers

Jeffery Seymour is a reliable gas installer. Honest to a fault as he use to be a minister. (603) 527-0066

Don Morin installed my Rinnai condensing boiler. Prompt, in time and very clean install. He check on me from time to time to make sure everything is kosher. 603-524-6014
Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
Phantom

where's that "Thank You" button when ya need it !

Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
nhcatrider

My last house had several of them, the only thing I ever had to do maintenance wise was vacuum the dust out of the fan. We have 2 long hair cats so it was necessary to do this. Very easy to do, all we had to do was remove the bottom cover and it was right there.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote