Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #101
codeman671

Default Noise??

If there is such a concern with noise emanating from the GFBL's why is it illegal in NH to have switchable exhaust systems on lakes? Makes no sense to me. It is not illegal to have thru-hull exhaust and it is not illegal to have exhaust divert through the prop under water so why should it be illegal to switch between the two? Heck, let it rip in the broads but muffle it in the congested areas.

I have been passed by pontoon boats that can now do over 45mph, shall we outlaw pontoon boats too? By the way, why have some of the people for speed limits on this site from past posts using gfbl's as their avatar?

This speed limit battle will never be over. Even if it ever passed which I do not think it will the enforceability will be non-existent. The budget is tight enough as it is that they will never be able to afford enough MP and equipment to enforce it. The revenue generated from tickets will not offset it. My vote has and always will be "NO SPEED LIMIT"!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #102
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfoul
Oh, if Betty Cook knew someone like you was using her race boat as an avatar, I'm sure she'd be dissapointed. You should be ashamed of yourself... hippocrite.
(Hipocrite, you meant...and disappointed).

I just wanted an out-of-control GFBL image; but...oka-a-a-y, the avatar has been changed.

Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard of Uhs
Join the mafia sight and start a thread on how many have taken boaters courses, Coast Gaurd training courses. I'll bet you the numbers will stagger you. Ask how many have had accidents on the water. I'll bet the numbers (or lack there of) will surprise you. I've been a GFBL boater for nearly 15 years and a boater for 35 years. Every one of those years has been incident free, no matter which boat I'm piloting.
I count on the Marine Mafia ITSELF to keep me up-to-date on GFBL fatalities and GFBL hit-and-runs.

You've taken the Coast Guard course?...and can't spell Coast Guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn
"...I also find it interesting that you said in a early post responding to Formula outlaw that you first of all avoided the question at hand and said that we are all "parked" at the bar...You are letting your true colors show. I am willing to bet that more booze is consumed by any other form of boating on that lake then GFBL boats..."
Your own GFBL Marine Mafia site concluded that Tanqueray was the most favored beverage afloat (aside from beer, that is). Here's another from your fellow GFBLs:

Quote:
"Capt. Absolut checkng in! ...we don't boat without the bottle. Absolut and Sprite or Orange soda for the women. I know this isn't PC on this board but I think some of the people on this board don't tell the truth about this subject. Right or wrong I answered the question HONESTLY!"
Or...

Quote:
I drink Coors Light because I can drink it (and **** it) all day and still drive home.
Or...

Quote:
Before noon - Beer
After noon and evening - Vodka and 7 up or sprite or squirt.
Or...

Quote:
Tanqueray Tonic & Lime..................MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM Crazy Tasty. Or Captain Morgan's and Ice...I never put enough coke in to make it worth while anyway.
I usually don't drink and drive the boat but I have on a few occasions done so.
Or...

Quote:
Favorite cocktail: Vodka with a splash of cranberry(a splash!) and a lime. It is a health drink: Vodka has not fat, cranberry is great for your kidney's and the lime keeps you from getting scurvy on those afternoon boating trips! Favorite Vodka: Cheapest stuff ya got and and lots of it!
Or...

Quote:
Vodka is also difficult for the officers to smell on your breath.
Or...

Quote:
What I referred to is 1/3 of this poll is not drinking alcohol and 2/3 are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propeller
"I do not think they are a safety hazard traveling 50, 60, 70 mph. That does not mean they are constantly operating at that speed. If they enter a small bay, one of the harbors or they want to site see then they can go slower obviously."
It's been my experience that the GFBLs accelerate when they get into protected bays and harbors. They "sight-see" at 60+ MPH. (But it's not about sight-seeing, is it?)

It's about being seen.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #103
overlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
That's not what has happened on other lakes, is it? When the bill passes there will be lots of long slips available on Winni.

I don't need to prove speed is dangerous. And why I want you off the lake doesn't matter.

I don't know if a speed limit will pass this year. It may be next year or five years from now, but it will pass. And in your heart, I think you it. That is the way things are going these days. You may slow down the process but you will not stop it.

Before long the only place you will be able to go fast is "Offshore".
I do not believe a speed limit bill will pass on Winnipesaukee, There are too many well informed boaters.
FYI the broads are considered "OFFSHORE"

Live free or die baby
Old 04-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #104
Audiofn

Acres you are just jelous that people actually like to look at our boats as we go through the harbors and are rafted up to the docks and they don't care about yours As for pulling off our site that there are a few idiots that drink and boat well good for you. Out of the THOUSANDS of memebers you found a few..... If I had the time to go to sailing web sites to look at what they are talking about then I am sure I woudl find MANY more posts then that. You want to know why? Because the mentality is heck I am only going 5 knots how much damage can I do.... LOTS!!!!

At any rate I am glad that You all are finally at leaste admitting to why you truely want to speed limit. You think it will make it so we do not want to come to the lake. You think that it will make your lake quite and peacefull. Why don't you all go after the wood boats? They are often times running strait pipes? I know of a bunch on that lake that do not pass the noise laws but since they are what they are you do not make a stink about them. I think it is just sad that you guys do not have a clue about how these boats run or any of the people that own them and you judge us all. What is next..... no people on the lake unless you are white????
Old 04-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #105
Evenstar

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Was that for MY benefit , being an out of stater??
Yes, I thought that was pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Yes , as a matter of fact a friend has an Ocean kayak. And strangely enough I've never seen one more than maybe 100 yards off the surf. I know I certainly wouldn't want to get caught in the Broads with a fast moving thunderstorm rolling in . Lets face it sea kayak , ocean kayak , canoe , row boat , surf board can go anywhere the skipper wants , but sometimes disgression should over rule your ego .
And ego has nothing to do with owning a boat that goes 75 or 80 mph?

The fact is that the first 100 yards off shore is the most dangerous place to kayak in the ocean. Many experienced sea kayakers go several miles off shore, and going even 12 to 15 miles out isn't that uncommon.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #106
Audiofn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
Yes, I thought that was pretty obvious.

And ego has nothing to do with owning a boat that goes 75 or 80 mph?

The fact is that the first 100 yards off shore is the most dangerous place to kayak in the ocean. Many experienced sea kayakers go several miles off shore, and going even 12 to 15 miles out isn't that uncommon.
And being a tree hugging hippy has nothing to do with owning a kayak? Come on man of course there are a few that buy them because they think they will get them some hot date or what ever but most of us own them because it is FUN and we ENJOY it. May not be your cup of tea but how do you know if you have not tried it. I have at leaste tried to kayak...... Any time you want I am perfectly willing to give you a ride just let me know. Then maybe you can understand things from our perspective a little better and see that we are not ego maniacs
Old 04-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #107
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default Thread Closed

I am closing this thread. Very little about the pros and cons of a speed limit are being discussed and many of the messages now contain little more than insults and attacks on other posters. The worst of those messages were not approved and don't appear.

Since I'd rather not have to reject more messages and everyone seems to have had their say on speed limits it's time for this topic to close for now.