Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
thebix

Default Heat Pump preventative maintenance - is it really worth it?

I have a 3 1/2 year old Lennox dual fuel heating / air conditioning system, forced air, in my 2600 sq ft ranch house. Three zones, HVR, MERV 16 filter, humidifier, sophisticated controls, multi speed blower and 95% propane furnace. The heat pump provides the heat when the temp is over 30 degrees, propane runs when the air temp is colder.

The system works very well, very comfortable and electricity and propane costs seem reasonable for a ranch house that has lots of outside walls and roof but also has max insulation and double and triple pane low-e windows. No drafts!

The HVAC company wants me to have a semi-annual preventative maintenance contract at $300 a visit ($600 per year). I did have then do PM the second year, at $240 a visit. Costs go up and now I question the value.

I lived in Virginia for 17 years with a 2 zone heat pump, all electric. It ran well and I was never asked for a PM contract. One time the electric utility offered a $50 checkup and that showed the system still running well within specs.

I seems like this PM checkup is like the extended warranty on electronic / appliance purchases that Consumer Reports says is almost never cost beneficial and is really a huge profit center for the vendor. I seem to recall the last PM visit took about an hour, and the filter replacement cost was extra!

I Googled Heat Pump PM to look for other consumer views. I found almost all the hits were from HVAC dealers touting the necessity for it, else the system could drop as much as 25% in efficiency. I checked my electric bill and usage in heavy heat pump months (March - October) does not spike at all compared to propane months so can't see a potential cost anywhere near $600 annually in efficiency loss. I didn't find any consumer hits suggesting that PM was vital.

Does anyone see a $600 annual value in doing this PM?

Of course the filter must be replaced (and I can get a MERV 16 online for half the cost as from the HVAC dealer), and the humidifier has detailed instructions on how to clean it each spring. I can do that OK. (The HVAC dealer would do the humidifier PM in the fall, which is not when the vendor calls for it!)
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
ITD

I would have a hard time paying that for PM. I have my oil boiler cleaned once a year and it costs me about $130 all inclusive and the guy is here for around 3 hours. I know it is a different animal, but in actuality there is much more work with the oil PM, and you do have to do it yearly.

If you can change the filter, clean out the humidifier and keep the outside heat pump coils clean I think you are good to go. The only issue you could run into is if the unit leaks refrigerant, but if the installation is well done, this should not be an issue and I would ask if they are checking for that. Realistically I think you would be more than safe with once a year every other year for them to check it out, if they check the refrigerant with your own maintenance for the off times.

If something breaks, I doubt the PM at 300 a shot would have prevented it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Maintenance contract

In today's economy, dealers and suppliers are pushing users to have maintenance contracts as a way of establishing a revenue stream for them during these tough times. Interestingly enough, if your systems holds together and performs they way it is supposed to, you will feel that you paid for somekthing your didn't need, BUT, if the reverse is the case, and your systems has problems, you may be very happy to have the contract. ALSO, be careful about mixing your homeowners do-it-yourself- skills with work you want, or need to have done, by the outsider provider. All too often, the favorite "out" for a contractor is to tell you that the parts you may have provided, or the service you performed as a homeowner, didn't meet the factory specs. After several years of going back and forth with a heating company, I finally buckled and took the contract, but I tried to make it very, very clear to them that as far as I was concerned, ANY problems from that day forward were theirs to correct. So far, so good, with annual check-ups and service.

I am sure others will have opinions, but I sleep well at night knowing the company is just a phone call away - anytime.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
HomeWood

I just paid $250 this week for an annual hvac contract (spring/fall check ups & cleanings). My heat/ac units (2) and air handlers (2) are only a year old, so I do feel like this was silly. However, I'll be glad to have it if something does go wrong. They're under warranty BUT labor is NOT included, just parts.

I don't know if I would have done $600 since they're so new, but $250 was reasonable enough for a little piece of mind. It does buy a little extra service like emergency call outs, and some other things.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Owner Manual

I always check the manuals and see what is needed to maintain the unit. If it simple and requires no special tools, then do it yourself. If it requires special tools and or a technician, that is where I hire the pros.

Like motor vehicles, HVAC technicians will do more than the specified maintenance to make money.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
thebix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I
Like motor vehicles, HVAC technicians will do more than the specified maintenance to make money.
One of my Google hits was a check list for the HVAC technician to 'find' repairs to do to add to the bill.
Contractors have certain things that they routinely check, and individual contractors perform more or fewer repairs during a cooling PM. Good preventive maintenance can result in an abundance of chargeable work.

If while performing a PM the technician is in the frame of mind to locate as many problems as possible (as apposed to how much his paycheck is going to be this week), it can be a win-win situation for your company and the customer. Here’s a “pie-in-the-sky” list of preventive maintenance issues that can be considered.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/a-c...ve-maintenance

My PM contract is for 'inspection' only. Any repairs above and beyond the inspection will be billed. So if if the refrigerant is low, that is billable.

It is not a service contract that covers problem calls.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
One of my Google hits was a check list for the HVAC technician to 'find' repairs to do to add to the bill.
Contractors have certain things that they routinely check, and individual contractors perform more or fewer repairs during a cooling PM. Good preventive maintenance can result in an abundance of chargeable work.

If while performing a PM the technician is in the frame of mind to locate as many problems as possible (as apposed to how much his paycheck is going to be this week), it can be a win-win situation for your company and the customer. Here’s a “pie-in-the-sky” list of preventive maintenance issues that can be considered.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/a-c...ve-maintenance

My PM contract is for 'inspection' only. Any repairs above and beyond the inspection will be billed. So if if the refrigerant is low, that is billable.

It is not a service contract that covers problem calls.
Billable for refrigerant only not labor, right? otherwise you are getting hosed.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

You sound pretty handy.If it were me I would not agree to one of these unless it covers fixing any problems.I have a similar pm for my elevators in the business but they will cover pretty much everything except a major motor failure and the like.