Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Zee

Default Fishing from Bridges

Does anyone know what the rules are with regards to fishing from bridges. We had an altercation with a fisherman on the Long Island Bridge who had two poles baited and in the water, one on each side of the bridge in the center of the channel. We saw him on one side and avoided his line. But upon exiting under the bridge on the other side, we didn't see his line and it snagged our rear cleat. Someone on board our boat injured themselves in the rush to disconnect the caught line. Is fishing from the middle of a bridge allowed? Shouldn't both poles be attended? The fisherman was quite nasty!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:25 AM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default He caught a big one

Salmon are in season, boats are not. There are no rules that I've ever heard about regarding fishing from the bridges, but its just plain stupid of those fishing to put their lines in the channel. It comes down to the problem we see so often in this forum. The lack of respect of each other. You, the boater, should try to avoid the lines. Those that are fishing should not make it hard for boaters. Sounds like you both were at fault. Its time to exchange "sorry's", not strong words. LI bridge can really be a problem. I've often wondered what they do when they actually catch a fish from 20 feet above the water. Salmon don't put up with hanging in the air from a hook.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Zee

Default Maybe I'll get lucky

Maybe I'll get lucky the next time I go under the bridge and one of those caught salmon will fall into my boat
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Jeff Furber

Default Fishing from Bridges

The guy who put his lines in the way of boat traffic is an idiot. I have traveled under that bridge many times and 99% of people move there rods and bait to the side, plus everyone I ever saw did there best to go very slowly and to avoid any lines, that were in the water.
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
Throbbin Rods

I think it is illegal for them to use two rods for one thing. It used to be that the only time you could use two rods legally was in a boat. It is tough on the bridge fishermen during the Derby. Used to always stay at the Long Island Bridge Campground and would motor under the bridge and out towards Harilla's. The bridge fishermen alwasy made room for me to get through. Those folks are just fishing, same as the rest of us. I haven't ever had a problem with any of them - I try to be courteous and they generally return the favor. Remember, most folks will do just about what you expect of them.

IMHO
Throbbin Rods
Sponsored Links