Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default today Laconia Citizen headline....

"Speed limit plan seen affecting tourism" is today's headline in The Citizen and it has two front page photos of two people who support the proposed 45day/25night speed limit. How about that? The Citizen ran it as the lead story at the top of the front page.

Here's the first paragraph. "LACONIA - While safety might be the driving force behind the proposed boating speed limits in House Bill 162, the major players supporting it say its' passage is as important to preserving the state's tourism industry as it is to preventing injury."

Here's another paragraph. "The proposed speed limit law has been recommended for passage by the House Resources Recreation and Developement Committee and is scheduled to go before the full house this January."

The article makes no mention of linking a boat speeding violation with one's automobile driving record and insurance rating. Is there any chance of that happening?

A direct link from today's www.citizen.com here would be nice.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Woodsy

FLL...

I am pretty sure they did link violations to your drivers license... although I haven't been able to see the revised bill yet online.

I think the NHRBA folks will be meeting with the Citezen to discuss thier side as well.

Woodsy
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Could not find the story on-line FLL.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
ApS

Default The article, excerpted...

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...056/-1/CITIZEN

If this doesn't open to the article for you satisfactorily, here are most of the points and phrases as excerpts. Most haven't seen before in print before. The article is mostly in favor of HB 162.

Three dots indicate that words were edited-out...but still retain the expressed thought.

1) ...stop the free-for-all

2) ...safe and family-friendly

3) ...not to kill the...goose that lays the golden eggs

4) ...responsible for the Inn at Church Point and Mill Falls ...is concerned he has ..."a responsibility to tell them about the dangers ... then I have a problem,"

5) ...We are looking for the flagrant violators...

6) ...a "no wake" zone in Meredith Bay..."enhanced" the area...diversity of activities in it. "...changed Meredith Bay dramatically,"

7) ...rented...a peaceful ride...return with horror stories...

8) ...owners of nine marinas...have publicly signed on to support a bill that...would hurt the sale of faster boats...

9) ...reversing of a trend...has the lake becoming less and less safe...

10) ...radar...guns are $1400...

11) ...tourism industry...the state can provide a safe experience in the great outdoors.

12) ...passage...critical to preserving the marketability...that is conducive to family-friendly recreation.

13) ...fundamental "disconnect"...a speed limit...not necessary...boating volume...risen exponentially over the years and...will not ever be limited...

This should be a fair excerpt of the article.

Hope this is helpful to understand the "gist" of the article, without copying it all out here and making copyright troubles.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default Dec 12 Laconia Citizen lead story-print edition

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...CITIZEN0101/11...

With the recent subscription info requirements this link to the Dec 12 Laconia Citizen front page, headline story, might not work too well.

It has 36 paragraphs. It starts at the top of the front page and continues onto the back of the first section and has three color photos of three speed limit supporters.

Previously, I thought that the Citizen was taking a wait & see attitude concerning this speed limit law in their articles and editorials. Probably, they have to think of their marina advertisers who sell the go-fast performance boats before committing. Now HB162, having received a 12-11 House of Reps committee yes vote plus being supported by some local business heavy-hitters, the Citizen has seen the writing on the waters, or something.

Hey, you supporters of a 'no speed limit on Winnipesaukee', I think it's time for you to head to your bunker and come up with a last ditch counter offensive plan here.

And, let me remind you-all, and now don't forget, going 45mph in a boat is HARDLY a slow speed! It is, for the great majority of boats, a very fast speed.

ps, The temperature earlier this morning was eight below zero here in WV, 45 minutes north of Winnipesaukee, which sure is cold for Dec 13.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
While I am against the speed limit, I can't help but think it would be far easier and cheaper to measure the speed of boats with the radar sets that Marine patrol boats are already equipped with. You can see the antenna above the starboard blue light in this (very nice) photo:

That radar set will track a whole bunch of "targets" easily. All one would need to do is park somewhere in the open, watch for fast moving boats and use the radar display to measure their speed. Tables for each scale would need to be made if the display does not show velocity, but this ain't exactly difficult math. Unlike handheld speed radar, the existing radar sets can measure speed with the target moving at any bearing relative to the radar set. Of course, the odds of catching up to a distant blatent offender in the pictured boat are pretty slim. One would have to "head them off" to be effective.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default Nothing to fear, except fear itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...056/-1/CITIZEN

If this doesn't open to the article for you satisfactorily, here are most of the points and phrases as excerpts. Most haven't seen before in print before. The article is mostly in favor of HB 162. .
What's this? Another paid editorial by the GSCO crowd? (GSCO = go-slow-control-others) My comments underlined in between the ( )

1) ...stop the free-for-all (live free or die is the state motto - back it up with action. In addition, the law does not address 99%+ of the problem)

2) ...safe and family-friendly (again - does not address 99% of the problem, but disrupts the safe freedom of many, especially bass-boats)

5) ...We are looking for the flagrant violators... (then pass a law against fragrantism, not a rational speed. A bass-boat going 60 on an uncrowded part of the lake is not fragrant, but would be very illegal and at risk of being called fragrant under the new rule.)

6) ...a "no wake" zone in Meredith Bay..."enhanced" the area...diversity of activities in it. "...changed Meredith Bay dramatically," (Good. Extend it from the Weirs to Govner's area during weekends and you will address at least 50% of the problem)

7) ...rented...a peaceful ride...return with horror stories... (What? The weather came up? They didn't have experience? We're talking about the largest lake in the state - enjoyed by a wide variety of folks, and probably way too many - but renters have to match their expectations with the reality of certain areas of the lake that are overcrowded)

9) ...reversing of a trend...has the lake becoming less and less safe... (The law does not address 99%+ of the problem - it does not reverse the trend. Education of 150' rule would go a lot farther. Also, how much less safe is the lake? Safety equates to the chances of getting hurt. Are accidents up over 10 years ago? I think it is more the perception of safety, which is a slippery slope, dictated by the most fearful among us who would reduce us to their level of comfort, rather than strive to overcome their fears.)

10) ...radar...guns are $1400... (No need for them without the speed restriction)

11) ...tourism industry...the state can provide a safe experience in the great outdoors. (The speed limit does not impact safety - it only impacts fear. There is a huge difference. The less fearful experiences are to be had in the less crowded parts of the lake. The state can point that out.)

12) ...passage...critical to preserving the marketability...that is conducive to family-friendly recreation. (marketing scam - not reality - but then, marketing is the approach that is being used to achieve a useless law. There are already too many boaters on the lake. That is the problem! If fear can help keep the growth rate down, it will improve the marketability. Keep those close-call stories coming!!)
Old 12-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Well Put.

Sorry APS. I have to agree with lakeGeezer. The Citizen article has no HARD evidence. Just feel good rhetoric.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
Lakewinniboater

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...CITIZEN0101/11...
Hey, you supporters of a 'no speed limit on Winnipesaukee', I think it's time for you to head to your bunker and come up with a last ditch counter offensive plan here.

And, let me remind you-all, and now don't forget, going 45mph in a boat is HARDLY a slow speed! It is, for the great majority of boats, a very fast speed.

ps, The temperature earlier this morning was eight below zero here in WV, 45 minutes north of Winnipesaukee, which sure is cold for Dec 13.

Maybe it is me.... but the above seems a bit nasty. Most of the people... myself included... that do not want to see a speed limit don't even have boats that will go faster than 45mph. However, it is the PRINCIPAL of this proposed law. The idea of passing any rules or laws without a basis... especially when it is targeted in a discriminating way, is absurd and ridiculous.

The data supports that there have been ZERO deaths and less than 4 injuries in the past 10 years that resulting from speed.

Most issue's are from ignorance..... and MANY of them from the small FAMILY boats.

Being a property and boat owner on the lake, I find the fact that a group of people have imposed FEAR on others and squewd the facts and issue's for their own agenda. However, as much distaste that I have for these types tactics, I don't throw mud, name call or impose my opinion personally on people. TRUST me, I have many things I would like to say..... and don't.

This issue WILL drive people from the lake and effect it's economy! It has split the lake and caused very hard feelings among many.... some I don't think are repairable.

The WinnFabs and some supporters simply WANT people off of THEIR lake. Which is disgusting. It isn't ANYONE's lake, it is a natural resource for all to enjoy. It is also a free country and if you are AFRAID, then stay out of the crowded area's during peek times like I do.

I don't even know why we all continue to post on this subject. It is futile! No one is going to be happy here and I think that it will be highly detrimental to the Lake. None of this is anymore enforceable then the rules we have now!

I, for one, am done reading the posts. It will be what it will be. I am sure there will be many homes for sale and slips available within the next few years.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #10
Cal

Quote:

Yep , heard it a few times already. 45 mph on the water is borderline insanity in an 18' aluminum Starcraft . Now take a 30' and 8000 lbs, it feels like you can jump out and swim along side of it. Which I better clarify myself , by stating don't try this. It's all relative.
How about 45 on a two lane highway. Your passing and opposing vehicle at 90 mph and only 6 to 8 feet away nowhere near 150'
True story: September I took my Dentist out for a lunch run in my boat. He has a 22' GradyWhite.
Well , we left the ramp , got out of the NWZ and I eased up on the sticks. We had gone about 6 or 7 miles , passed a few other boats going the other way that felt no worse that crossing RR tracks in your car and he looks over at the speedometer and was shocked to see we were doing 55 . He couldn't believe it was so smooth and quiet and how effortlessly it did it.
My point? Lets not forget , "It's all relative"
Old 12-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
True story: September I took my Dentist out for a lunch run in my boat. He has a 22' GradyWhite.
Well , we left the ramp , got out of the NWZ and I eased up on the sticks. We had gone about 6 or 7 miles , passed a few other boats going the other way that felt no worse that crossing RR tracks in your car and he looks over at the speedometer and was shocked to see we were doing 55 . He couldn't believe it was so smooth and quiet and how effortlessly it did it.
My point? Lets not forget , "It's all relative"
You are both lucky to be alive!

When I first read this I thought you were going 55 in a 22' Grady White and I was thinking: "that's not likely".

Merry Christmas
Old 12-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Amazing!What great unbiased journalism.A one-sided interview with the only participants being the supporters of hb162.I love the quote from McLear,"McLear is among those who are arguing that businesses are being impacted by the trend for more boats going at faster speeds. He recalled one recent encounter in which a family staying at one of his hotels rented a 19-foot boat only to return with horror stories about what they thought would be a peaceful ride on the Big Lake.

McLear said one angry customer threw a pair of keys on the desk of the hotel and blasted McLear, claiming McLear had placed the customer in a dangerous situation." Now where does the customer say that the horror story had anything to do with boats going faster than 45 mph?I don't doubt that his customer had this experience but I'd be willing to bet it was because of the crazy conjestion that he/she encountered when they aproached the Weirs to Eagle Island areas of the lake.It makes me nervous too but never because of boat speeds above 45 mph!! He goes on to say"That got me thinking that ... if my guests are telling me I have a responsibility to tell them about the dangers ... then I have a problem," said McLear.If he thinks a speed limit will now clear him from telling his guest about the"dangers",he is fooling himself.There are way more dangers on Winni than speeds over 45 mph.
Also of interest is Mr Griffin who is a partner in a public relations firm.Mmm.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
You are both lucky to be alive!

When I first read this I thought you were going 55 in a 22' Grady White and I was thinking: "that's not likely".

Merry Christmas
"Not likely" is right. He did say his won't even do 45. He was amazed at how easy 55 was , at 3300 rpms. Made a believer out of him. Now my Dr. "the sailboater" is next

And a Merry Christmas to you too
Old 12-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Default rpm's

'At 3300rpm, it would go an easy 55mph.' Well an 18 wheel semi tractor-trailer truck can go 65mph at 1800 rpm w/ a 350hp straight six cylinder diesel engine and pull a gross vehicle weight, total truck and contents, of 40 tons. RPM's are all relative to the size of the vehicle. Almost always, a larger vehicle will have an engine that runs at lower revs. The big trucks share the roads with little cars, big cars, small trucks, other large trucks, pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles and you and me. Every road in New Hampshire has a speed limit to help keep the road safe and the time has come for a speed limit on the waters, too.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
B R

Default RPM's

All I think Cal was referring to was the optimal rpm for most Mercruser engines. 3300 seems to be just about the perfect rpm for best fuel efficiency (this is only a generalization, some boats may have a different optimal rpm).
Old 12-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #16
Cal

Quote:
'At 3300rpm, it would go an easy 55mph.' Well an 18 wheel semi tractor-trailer truck can go 65mph at 1800 rpm w/ a 350hp straight six cylinder diesel engine and pull a gross vehicle weight, total truck and contents, of 40 tons. RPM's are all relative to the size of the vehicle. Almost always, a larger vehicle will have an engine that runs at lower revs. The big trucks share the roads with little cars, big cars, small trucks, other large trucks, pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles and you and me. Every road in New Hampshire has a speed limit to help keep the road safe and the time has come for a speed limit on the waters, too.
Highways to waterways like comparing apples to oranges . If you want to do that then lets be able to pass 8 to 10 feet apart like on the highway. Yeah I know it's redicules , but so is comparing waterways to highways.
My point , which seems to be missed , you say "45 mph on water is hardly slow". I'm saying it relative to what your riding in.
I go fishing in a friends 20' Aquasport center console and 40 mph is flying , 25 is a nice comfortable speed conditions permitting. You climb in into 7 or 8000 lbs 40 mph is like 25 mph in a little boat. I would love the opportunity to take you for a ride with the GPS off and the tachs and speedo. covered. Even if you wouldn't admit it , I think you would be really amazed

Merry Christmas all
Old 12-16-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Default ...and don't forget!

Out on the NH roads, there's plenty cars & big trucks capable of going faster than 65mph but are held to the speed limit by the police. The speed limit helps to keep the roads safe.

Out on the waters, a 45day/25night speed limit would help to keep the waters safe. And for the great majority of boats, going 45mph is hardly a slow speed!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #18
Cal

Quote:
Out on the NH roads, there's plenty cars & big trucks capable of going faster than 65mph but are held to the speed limit by the police. The speed limit helps to keep the roads safe.
Yeah . Been on 93 lately???

[/QUOTE] going 45mph is hardly a slow speed![/QUOTE]

You're right, it's hardly any speed...it's all relative.

This ones for you Brian
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Default hey, let's make a trade....

How's this sound...... let's swap boats? You take my 30 year old aluminum 18' Starcraft outboard boat that has at least one leaky rivet and, ...here's the good part, I get your 32' - 8000lb - 1000hp Formula or Baja or Fountain or something. I admit my opinion about the proposed 45-25 speed limit law could be changed after the trade. I could even become a supporter of your honest & true, real boating safety proposals and really truly educating the boating public about the 150' safe passage rule. Hey, as a gfbl boater my new message is "we don't need no no-good, stinky speed limit law, what we need is a greater understanding of the 150' safe passage rule, yeah!"

By the way, my boat has all of two six gallon portable gas tanks, so just think of your new gasoline economy. Ho-Ho-Ho!