Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Soapmistress

Default Fishercats

Hey Y'all,

I'm new, and moving up the 1st of December. I'm bringing my two dogs and my tail-less cat with me. She has for the most part been an outside cat all of her life, but my fiance' told me she'll have to stay in, cuz the fisher cats will get her.....and EAT her

Is it OK for her to go out during the day ? or is that to big of a chance ? Has anyone else had a fishercat run off with their pet ?

If I have dogs, wont that keep the fishercats away ?
Attached Images

Soapmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Here is a recent thread:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ight=fishercat

and a link to an article about the animals:

http://www.nhfishandwildlife.com/fisher.php
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Here is a recent thread:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ight=fishercat

and a link to an article about the animals:

http://www.nhfishandwildlife.com/fisher.php

Slickcraft, thank you for both of those links, very informative! She's kind of a small cat...5 pounds at most, me thinks I'll keep her in

This might not be the right place to ask ( I am an animal lover ) but uhhmmm, do folks hunt fishercats ?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Yankee

Default Welcome to NH!!

Fishers are hunted, although they are very elusive. I wouldn't worry about your animals regarding them as they tend to stay away from civilization.

If you're going to live in a rural area, you'll encounter black bears and coydogs long before, if ever you see a Fisher.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
KBoater

Default Fisher Visit

I had a Fisher walk through my yard about 10 feet from my house several times this fall. I now have less squirrels. I did have 2 neighborhood cats that visited me and how have 1. I would not discount the Fisher. I live in a wooded area near to downtown Wolfeboro.

I am a black & white cat lover.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
NickNH

Keep your cat in...it's not just Fishers you have to be concerned with......Coyotes, Hawks, etc... especially where your adorable kitty is only 5 pounds!

When we moved to a very rural area we decided to keep our always indoor/outdoor cats in....they adjusted just fine after awhile. And, you can cut down on the vaccinations they need once they're indoor only so it's a win-win...safe cats and less vet bills! I do not miss the sleepless nights of not being able to get one of my cats in or the trips to the Emergency Vet when one of them had an abcess after getting bitten by something (why does that ALWAYS happen when the regular vet is closed????).
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
I had a Fisher walk through my yard about 10 feet from my house several times this fall. I now have less squirrels.

I never even heard of fishercats until visiting New Hampshire, so ...........I don't know....... they're a mix of scary fascination for me. Especially listening to them on youtube.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Merrymeeting

Hi Soap,

Welcome to New England and the Lakes Region. You have moved to an area many on this site wish they could also move to full time, including me!
Based on "y'all" and "moving up", coming from somewhere down South?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Hi Soap,

Welcome to New England and the Lakes Region. You have moved to an area many on this site wish they could also move to full time, including me!
Based on "y'all" and "moving up", coming from somewhere down South?
Yesssss....I'm from West Virginia....lol.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well first off Fishers are not afraid of anything, let alone a Dog. I had Fisher walk right past us as we sat on our deck one night. Couldn't even have cared we were there. And you will definitely know when one is around as the scream will curdle your blood. You also must remember that not every area has one around. If you have a rock wall on your property, chances are better that one might make a home in it. We have the one that lives in the wall across the street. So I can hear it every once in a while but have only seen it a few times.

Yeah...Just wait till you here it scream. You will want to move back south...

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
KBoater (11-06-2010), RailroadJoe (11-06-2010), Soapmistress (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Soapmistress

Good Morning Everyone

Lakesrider, thank you for the youtube links!

A fishercat does have such an erie sound to it ( shivers ) i tell ya true, If I were camping there.....and heard such a sound, not knowing what it was, I'd be high tailin it outta there
Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Soapmistress

OK.....curious question here, How did the Fishercat get it's name ?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Soapmistress

OK, had a few minutes this evenin so I thought I'd research my own question Pretty cool stuff !

Etymology -

The name implies a diet of fish yet it seldom dines on aquatic organisms. Early Dutch settlers noted its similarity to the European polecat (Mustela putorius). Fitchet is a name derived from the Dutch word visse which means 'nasty' In the French language, the pelt of a polecat is called fiche or fichet.[8]

In some regions the fisher is known as a pekan, derived from its name in the Abenaki language. Wejack was derived from otchoek (Cree) and otochilik (Ojibwa) by fur traders. Other American Indian names for the fisher are tha cho (Chippewayan), meaning "big marten", and uskool (Wabanaki).[8]

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #14
dpg

Problem is if your cat is anything like mine you'll have a hard time keeping him/her in once they have had a "taste" of outdoors. Does she come back on demand (when called?) Would probably spend time outdoors with her and have her come in when you do. As she gets more familiar with the area and starts to venture out that will be an issue. Way to many things in the area that can catch a cat.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

NickNH is right...I've lost a cat to a fisher.They are nasty animals that kill for the fun of it. Even a large owl could do in your little kitty, so be careful.
The good news is, there are no dangerous animals, bugs or reptiles in NH that are a concern for humans. I know we have islands, mountains and streams named after rattlesnakes, but they don't survive in the cold.
Some would argue that black bears are dangerous but they run from people unless fed and attacks are almost unheard of.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Fishers

Fishers are actually not a cat, but from the weasel family.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
Conflicts

In some areas fishers can become pests to farmers because they will get into a pen and kill large numbers of chickens. Unprovoked attacks on humans are extremely rare,[7] but they will attack if they feel threatened or cornered. There have been a few instances of fishers preying on cats and small dogs. A study done in 1979 examined the stomach contents of all fishers trapped in the state of New Hampshire; cat hairs were found in only one of over 1,000 stomachs. While there is popular belief for more frequent attacks on pets, zoologists suggest bobcats or coyotes are more likely to prey upon domestic cats and chickens.
This summer our son saw a very large on on our patio. He said is was much bigger than our dog of 17 pounds. Mac is no longer let out alone at night, pre-dusk, (That's when Ben saw our local beast.) or pre-dawn hours. I'm sure you would laugh if you saw me patrolling Mac's yard with a baseball bat! I sure hope that we don't get to see it again.

I've been told, they employ their blood curdling scream to flush out prey.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (11-09-2010), Pepper (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
baygo

How big do these cats get? I often hear one nearby and think I saw a kitten once.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
donnamatrix

Default Keep your cats inside!

Our cats never go out. They go onto the screened porch when we are around. In 1992 out on Moultonboro Neck, there were (I think) 35 cats that were "lost" that summer. We think the fishers got them. I read somewhere that a Fisher has more pounds per square inch "crushing" power in it's jaw than a Great White - pound for pound. You cannot hunt them, I believe they are still on the Endangered Species list in NH. Too bad, they would make great coats
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Fishercats

From the New Hampshire Fish and Game web site...

"Contrary to popular belief, house cats are not a regular food item for fishers. Scientific studies show that fisher prefer to eat small prey species. Mouse-sized mammals make up about a third of their diets, and a smaller proportion is snowshoe hare. Most of a fisher's diet consists of mice, small birds, fruit and berries, as well as deer in the form of carrion. Cat hairs were found in only one of over 1,000 stomachs examined in 1979 and 1980."

http://www.wildnh.com/Wildlife/Wildl...ort_112003.htm

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
KBoater

Default Start training

Start training her to be inside. It worked for me. A screened in porch is a good thing to have. Cats like the fresh air.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #21
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
Start training her to be inside. It worked for me. A screened in porch is a good thing to have. Cats like the fresh air.
I think it tough to say what will happen to cats if they go outside. I feel bad making a cat stay in when we have so much land ( and zero chance of getting hit by a car) for them to roam. I have always let them go outside, but have always kept an eye on them. I would never let them out at night or when I am not at home. My last cat lived to age 21 and my current cat is age 15. When she goes outside now she just walks around from one door to the other and then back in the house. Other family members let their cats out and they have never had a problem. If you keep them in then you will know that they are totally safe. I believe many things that happen in life are merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
You cannot hunt them, I believe they are still on the Endangered Species list in NH. Too bad, they would make great coats

......my thoughts exactly
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
You cannot hunt them, I believe they are still on the Endangered Species list in NH. Too bad, they would make great coats
There is a trapping season for Fishers (the month of December)... I have no idea how many sportsmen participate, though.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt...t_trapping.htm
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
SIKSUKR

Default No such thing as a fishercat

The name of the animal is a Fisher. There is no cat in the name and they are not cats. As RG pointed out they are in the weasel family.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
donnamatrix

Default Fishers are not cats= right

SIKSUR is correct- they are not cats. Don't know how they got "cat" added to their name. I had one race across the street in front of me a couple years ago on Route 109 near the intersection of Route 171 (fisher came racing out of the little cemetary on Route 109). At first I didn't know what creature it was... I didn't know that fishers were that long-this guy was probably 4 feet from head to tail-maybe more. Big tail, and fast as the wind. I didn't know there was a trapping season-I'm not a hunter, but think trapping is cruel way to go.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #26
sa meredith

Default see one up close

For anyone that might be interested to see one live, and up close, and read a bit about them...there is a live display at The Squam Lakes Science Center. Possibly the only chance you may have (or want to have) too see one of these creatures from less then 2 inches away. They often lay right against the glass. One look at their claws, and you realize what they can do to any house pet.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
Pineedles

Shoot 'em all. Little bit of glass won't protect them!

Last edited by Pineedles; 11-10-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
Resident 2B

Perhaps this is where the Fisher Cat became famous?

From their web site:

The New Hampshire Fisher Cats are the Eastern League (AA level professional baseball) affiliate for the Toronto Blue Jays. The Fisher Cats have played their home games at MerchantsAuto.com Stadium in Manchester, NH since 2005. The MerchantsAuto.com Stadium holds 7,200 Fisher Cats fans

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Perhaps this is where the Fisher Cat became famous?
From their web site:
The New Hampshire Fisher Cats are the Eastern League (AA level professional baseball) affiliate for the Toronto Blue Jays. The Fisher Cats have played their home games at MerchantsAuto.com Stadium in Manchester, NH since 2005. The MerchantsAuto.com Stadium holds 7,200 Fisher Cats fans
R2B
As I write this I look right at the stadium located next door to me. I laughed when they came up with that name since there is no such thing. I will admit though that its better than the original name which was loudly denounced, the New Hampshire Primaries and the logo was an elephant and a donkey holding baseball bats. Ya, thats a good one.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
For anyone that might be interested to see one live, and up close, and read a bit about them...there is a live display at The Squam Lakes Science Center. Possibly the only chance you may have (or want to have) too see one of these creatures from less then 2 inches away. They often lay right against the glass. One look at their claws, and you realize what they can do to any house pet.
Ohhhhh, now this is right up my alley! I'm a big nature/science buff ( oh yea, history too ) Sounds like a really fun day trip with my stepson.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #31
NickNH

You'll LOVE the Science Center! The Mountain Lions alone are well worth the trip!!!!
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #32
Lakesrider

Another thumbs up for the science center. That place is a must for kids. We need to teach about the wildlife in NH. If they don't learn early they won't care later.

(Well, Squirrels are another issue.... )
Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #33
sa meredith

Default great place

Great place...great walking trails. If you take the side trail to the top of the mountain, at the top, simply the most breath taking views of Squam Lake (s)... Big Squam, Little Squam.
Family season passes are very cheap, and you can go when ever you want...some memberships allow unlimited trips and you can bring guests. Cheap..around $100.
River Otter display is fantastic. On Friday mornings, they give them fish, frozen in a ball of ice, and the otters push it up a ramp, and let it smash to the ground, over and over and over again...until they can get at the fish. Neat to watch.
The place really is fantastic...and VERY kid/family friendly.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #34
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Also Recommend the Science Center!!!

It's a great place. Haven't been in years. Every summer I try to get a nephew or niece to go with me to no avail.

Maybe next year I'll just go by myself!!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #35
Lakesrider

Give me a call I'll go with ya! Or vica versa.
Been a million times. Have the annual pass for 4 people. $60.00 last year...I always donate there as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #36
jkjoshuatree

Default Nice...Thank You!!!

I just may take you up on that offer!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #37
Lakesrider

Great. I usually go up after they open. Around June they get in some of the abandoned young. (And it isn't to hot and buggy out..) Normally get to see the little cute ones....
I'll post here when my wife and I go...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #38
jkjoshuatree

Default Very Cool...

...thanks so much Lakesrider.