Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
aquabones

Default how safe to navigate the lake this week

I was told that there is alot of debris floating in the lake. I was hoping to get my boat from Irwins to Center Harbor this week but was told that the channel markers and buoys are not out yet. Do you think I should wait. If so, until when. This will be my first spring on the lake, so I'm not sure how cautious I need to be.
I do have a GPS chart plodder with the Bizer map of the lake.
Thanks for any suggestions.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow The Lake

We've only seen one thing - last weekend. We picked it up. Seen nothing since. (Broads, Rattlesnake Island into the mouth of Alton Bay.) Everything looks good to me!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
dave603 (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
I was told that there is alot of debris floating in the lake. I was hoping to get my boat from Irwins to Center Harbor this week but was told that the channel markers and buoys are not out yet. Do you think I should wait. If so, until when. This will be my first spring on the lake, so I'm not sure how cautious I need to be.
I do have a GPS chart plodder with the Bizer map of the lake.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Except for spar buoys that have been broken off, most of them should still be usable. The flashing buoys may not be out, but most of them have a spar nearby.

Bizer's map has a "safe route" for most of the lake's navigation, so you should be able to navigate observing the spar buoys out there, checking them with a Bizer map (I use the folded laminated that has four sections of the full map to it. Easy to use at the helm as opposed to the full map), and check yourself with the safe route dashed line on your GPS.

Enjoy the ride, and take it a little slow, keeping an eye out for debris. You will do fine.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
pjard

We have been out several times. There are lots of things floating around but its fine. Go a bit slower and don't take your eyes off water but you can make it.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
PC31

On Saturday we picked up several 2X4's that came from the destroyed docks in Paugus bay. On Sunday we noticed a lot of spars are not in their correct position. That said you can still safely navigate the lake. We went from Paugus to Wolfeboro on Sunday with no mishaps.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

There are a lot of markers missing so if you are unfamiliar with where there should be one you may find hazards the hard way!

May help the MP to post where they are missing so they have a heads up to replace them as soon as they are able to do so. Also don't assume that they are in the correct orientation to what they are marking.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
gslpro

Default jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC31 View Post
On Saturday we picked up several 2X4's that came from the destroyed docks in Paugus bay. On Sunday we noticed a lot of spars are not in their correct position. That said you can still safely navigate the lake. We went from Paugus to Wolfeboro on Sunday with no mishaps.
Glad to see you guys got out. Going up on Wednesday and staying over one night to get things straightened out at the dock. Not sure when we will be seeing you guys for the first time, but looking forward to it.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote