Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
VeryGeneric

Arrow Introducing Winni.wiki

Hi everyone! I'll admit, I'm new to these forums, but I figured a home of knowledgeable boaters and long-time lake goers was probably the best place to post this.

I noticed yesterday that there wasn't a wiki for information specific to Lake Winnipesaukee, so I decided to create one. As a bonus, the domain winni.wiki hadn't already been registered.

And so, I'd like to introduce you all to https://winni.wiki

Please feel free to suggest/create pages and topics, and share your experience! I'm hopeful we can build an awesome resource for lakers new and old.
VeryGeneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I would find that website unnecessary and a duplication of the information available on this site.

This site is informative and well managed and has a long history of being loaded with information about the lake and surrounding areas.

It is all I need!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryGeneric View Post
Hi everyone! I'll admit, I'm new to these forums, but I figured a home of knowledgeable boaters and long-time lake goers was probably the best place to post this.

I noticed yesterday that there wasn't a wiki for information specific to Lake Winnipesaukee, so I decided to create one. As a bonus, the domain winni.wiki hadn't already been registered.

And so, I'd like to introduce you all to https://winni.wiki

Please feel free to suggest/create pages and topics, and share your experience! I'm hopeful we can build an awesome resource for lakers new and old.
I don't understand—what would this be for/add?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Hi VG,

I'm sure your heart's in the right place on this, but I also hope you'll integrate with the Forum instead of a separate thing that may be dilutive
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Susie Cougar

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. We already have this wonderful site called the Winnepesaukee forum. There is no need to start another one.
Susie Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
stingray (07-08-2022), TiltonBB (07-08-2022), tummyman (07-08-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I don't understand—what would this be for/add?
The Forum works on discussion, opinion and some speculation. We trust known posters and links for facts. I would expect a "wiki" site to deal only in factual information with references and footnotes. Probably a lot of issues already covered by Wikipedia. BUT. As an example, I Googled Lake Shore Park NH for Wikipedia and the closest reference was to the Winnipesaukee Forum for LSP History.
I'd have a better understanding of Winni.wiki's place if the creator could give some examples or post a few items to set the tone.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
stingray (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
Mr. V

Wiki is like an online encyclopedia, not a forum / message board.

Use it for objective info, not to express personal opinion.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
VeryGeneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hi VG,

I'm sure your heart's in the right place on this, but I also hope you'll integrate with the Forum instead of a separate thing that may be dilutive

I'm not quite sure what that would entail, but I absolutely don't want to split out where information can be found. That's why I decided to make this thread.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
VeryGeneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The Forum works on discussion, opinion and some speculation. We trust known posters and links for facts. I would expect a "wiki" site to deal only in factual information with references and footnotes. Probably a lot of issues already covered by Wikipedia. BUT. As an example, I Googled Lake Shore Park NH for Wikipedia and the closest reference was to the Winnipesaukee Forum for LSP History.
I'd have a better understanding of Winni.wiki's place if the creator could give some examples or post a few items to set the tone.
Exactly. There are little things here and there, for example, facts about my own beloved Big Barndoor, which I can only find on websites like that of real estate agencies or by asking old-timers who have a knack for remembering old things.

Also, as another commenter is concerned about contributing to the forum, I'm not trying to discredit any information posted here. In fact, as I've seen, many long-time forum users seem to know their stuff more than enough to be used as references on pages.

One main use-case I can think of other than people who want to find out really obscure things like I do with Barndoor, I think, would be people looking for tidbits about Lake Winni as an outsider moving to/touring the general Winni area.

Again, I'm very open as to how we might use the knowledge of people on this forum and beyond to create a useful resource. (Especially for people like my mother who're hopeless in regards to forum etiquette and searching thru old threads. )
Old 07-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
The Real BigGuy

VeryGeneric - kudos to you for coming up with a novel way to look at Winni. It’s unfortunate that you got initial responses that reflect New Englanders reluctance to give new ideas a chance.

I think Descant made Avery good point. If you would post a couple of things in Winni.wiki (a history of Big Barndoor??) people would have a better idea what your vision is.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:11 PM   #11
VeryGeneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
VeryGeneric - kudos to you for coming up with a novel way to look at Winni. It’s unfortunate that you got initial responses that reflect New Englanders reluctance to give new ideas a chance.

I think Descant made Avery good point. If you would post a couple of things in Winni.wiki (a history of Big Barndoor??) people would have a better idea what your vision is.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yeah, I suppose I should've taken that into account. I do plan on expanding the stub I wrote about Barndoor, I just ran out of steam trying to figure out how to best lay-out the main page.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:47 AM   #12
Bear Guy

For consideration, are existing Wikipedia entries around Lake Winni. For example, these Islands of Winni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Winnipesaukee
Though not encyclopedic, the content is factual with footnotes.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #13
VeryGeneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy View Post
For consideration, are existing Wikipedia entries around Lake Winni. For example, these Islands of Winni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Winnipesaukee
Though not encyclopedic, the content is factual with footnotes.
This does seem like a pretty good format with factual content. I'd love to try to make a source with similar quality, and expand beyond what the main wikipedia feels is worth indexing.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #14
Susie Cougar

I wish you would give an example or ask a question to get things started.

If you’re trying to make it simpler for people like your mother, and I’m sure I’m your mother’s age, it seems like you’re making it harder to me. I just need to understand what it is that you’re trying to do.

You have mentioned Barndoor Island, but have not told us any information about it or what other information you may be looking for. I had to Google it to find out where it was. I never would’ve guessed it was around Wolfeboro.

I’m trying to have an open mind because we all have areas that we are more knowledgeable about and other areas that we know nothing about. Could you post some information and ask a question about Barndoor Island?
Susie Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #15
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I wish you would give an example or ask a question to get things started.

If you’re trying to make it simpler for people like your mother, and I’m sure I’m your mother’s age, it seems like you’re making it harder to me. I just need to understand what it is that you’re trying to do.

You have mentioned Barndoor Island, but have not told us any information about it or what other information you may be looking for. I had to Google it to find out where it was. I never would’ve guessed it was around Wolfeboro.

I’m trying to have an open mind because we all have areas that we are more knowledgeable about and other areas that we know nothing about. Could you post some information and ask a question about Barndoor Island?
Barndoor Island is actually in the town of Alton near Wolfeboro
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:02 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Barndoor Island is actually in the town of Alton near Wolfeboro
Agree, but is any part of it in Wolfeboro? I know it is served by the Wolfeboro Electric Dept. At least part of it is. Little Barn Door is in Wolfeboro I think.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:49 AM   #17
Stilljester

Barndoor lsland & Little Barndoor Island are not part of Wolfeboro.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
Barndoor lsland & Little Barndoor Island are not part of Wolfeboro.
You are right. I don't know why I was thinking Little was in Wolfeboro. It's tough to get old. Sometimes it makes you wonder how they decided which islands or which part of each island would be in which town.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You are right. I don't know why I was thinking Little was in Wolfeboro. It's tough to get old. Sometimes it makes you wonder how they decided which islands or which part of each island would be in which town.
And I "think" all the Varney Islands are in Alton, but I bet the first fireboat to arrive in an emergency would be from Wolfeboro. So, as is often the case, we have some varying opinions. A fact based entry on winni.wiki might resolve such issues, but there should be no place there for what people "think".
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #20
Stilljester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
No worries, you're in good company. I actually checked the Wolfeboro tax maps just to be 100% sure. Figured the infamous tax man would know best :-)
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilljester For This Useful Post:
tis (07-11-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #21
VeryGeneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
No worries, you're in good company. I actually checked the Wolfeboro tax maps just to be 100% sure. Figured the infamous tax man would know best :-)
Yeah, on Big Barndoor we've got an Alton address and pay Alton tax. We are also served by wolfeboro electric, as someone else mentioned
The Following User Says Thank You to VeryGeneric For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-18-2022)