Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
On The Edge

Default Island hike this winter

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone was brave enough to hike out to any of the Islands this winter? I have a place on sleepers and was a bit worried about the latest wind storm and the damage that it may have caused.

Thanx
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Quilt Lady

Default As far as I can see . . .

It looks like it will be a bonus year for the dock repair guys this year. From our vantage point between Minge and Smith's Coves, we can see Treasure, Cub and Sleepers (up to just beyond "The Castle"). With my spotting scope, I can see numerous docks that are damaged by the ice. If you are on the Rattlesnake side of Sleepers, maybe Island Girl can give you an opinion since she visited her island over the weekend. The ice is very smooth so walking can be tricky. There are many ridges and holes out there so if you do venture out, be VERY careful. The noise coming from the ice is constant and loud so I imagine it is rather unstable. I won't be going out there until I see the workmen driving their trucks out there and so far there have been no activity. The Babes On Sleds are cooling their jets and waiting for playtime.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
barndoor

Default barndoor hike

I walked out to Big Barndoor on Presidents' Day. I didn't find a lot of damage to the westerly side of the island save for a blown off roof shingle and a dead tree that had been knocked down. I must add that a fresh bear track across a patch of snow hastened my departure a bit.
barndoor is offline   Reply With Quote