Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #201
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Please look up the source , this new network is a far right group of wack jobs, watch a few of their reports on subjects other then the virus and you will see they are a no fact shock new people
People believe what they want to believe regardless of who puts it out there.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #202
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Please look up the source , this new network is a far right group of wack jobs, watch a few of their reports on subjects other then the virus and you will see they are a no fact shock new people
Oh that's right...If it doesn't come out of CNN or the rest of the left-wing mouthpieces, then it can't be true. Perhaps we should call Stanford University to verify whether it's true or not. Seems like a simple solution. I will send them a message today, and will report back on their response.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #203
Newbiesaukee

There is a Michael Levitt at Stanford who did make suggestions that the modeling may be wrong and the report cited before is generally accurate in Levitts thoughts. As usual, always helps to try to find the truth. The source of this particular story is a right wing, not generally reliable source.

As my smartest professor used to say “ Even the blind squirrel sometimes finds the acorn.”

DON’T trust, but sometimes verify anyway.

AND, this was reported by the New York Times.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #204
fatlazyless

Miss New Hampshire-1993, Trish Regan from Hampton, NH, who graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy '91 in Exeter, NH recently lost her job at Fox Business news on March 27, 2020 because she called the coronavirus an "impeachment scam."

About ten years ago, she was a business reporter at CNBC news and she was a different type of a reporter back then with straight ahead, business news without the political spin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/bu...ronavirus.html

I have no glue, oopsie-make that clue .....ha-ha-ha ..... and who knows, but just maybe she will show up at One America News as Miss New Hampshire-1993, Trish Regan ...... here!!! ...... with all your One America News ....... baby! ...... here's what's happen'n!

If she dresses a wee bit more provocatively she could be a big hit for O.A.N. ..... One America News ..... attracting viewers and advertisers which is what it's all about.

So, where does she go ...... fired from Fox ..... a new rising star at OAN in NYC? ...... seems possible and is total conjecture coming from me?

Maybe she will forgo the bright lights of cable news, and return to Phillips Exeter Academy and teach eighth and ninth graders how to compose compound, complex sentences in English?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-30-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #205
Seaplane Pilot

Default LA Times Story

Same story published by the left-leaning LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (03-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #206
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyourjets View Post
Since you are an expert on H1N1, COVID and seemingly pretty much everything, maybe you should have guided your son into a career that’s more rescission or catastrophe-proof. Many industries are hiring at a blazing clip, I’m sure it’s not too late to change careers.

I assume that with your view of this being unnecessary or an overreaction, you or any member of your family will hold the line and be deferring care if you should catch this virus? Or, will that be your line in the sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Or maybe, since Major claims to be so successful, he could just subsidize his son to tide him over — for starters, with the money he's so upset not to be able to blow on a vacation to Pompano Beach.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #207
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Oh dear. Oh well. I tried but with people like you there is no reasoning. Enjoy your Fox News / OANN bubble, and your "I got mines, screw everyone else" attitude.
Right, no point at all.

Author Rex Stout's detective Nero Wolfe replying to a client in awe of his genius who asked if there's *anything* he can't do:

“Yes, madame, there is. I couldn't put sense into a fool's brain if I tried.”
Old 03-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #208
StevenGilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Same story published by the left-leaning LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate
If you're interested, I would really like to understand what your takeaway is from this article is.

Here's my understanding:

- Michael Levitt believes that looking at the rate of increase of confirmed positives or deaths is a good indicator that an outbreak is approaching the apex, and when this happens you can better predict the final numbers. He gives some examples of countries where he thinks this is the case: South Korea and Iran. He gives one example of countries where this is not the case: Italy.

- He says that the outbreak won't be as bad as some people fear, but doesn't give context to this - he could mean won't be as bad as the upper end models (i.e. Fauci's 2.2million estimate).

- He gives some opinion and editorial about reporting.

- He agrees that implementing social distancing and other mitigation measures are required

When you take his approach, and look at the day-by-day rate of increase of cases and deaths in the US, we look more like Italy right now than Iran and South Korea and so we are still in the 'acceleration' phase of the curve.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #209
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
Or maybe, since Major claims to be so successful, he could just subsidize his son to tide him over — for starters, with the money he's so upset not to be able to blow on a vacation to Pompano Beach.
There will be a lot of subsidizing going on by a lot of parents. I know I will be helping mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #210
Major

Quote:
When did I claim to be so successful? Unfortunately, you're right about my vacation, looks like it's being postponed to the fall.

I find it sort of humorous, everyone on this Forum is handwringing about people they don't know who have or could catch the Chinese coronavirus. Yet people with REAL life difficulties, whether my son losing his job, or good restaurant owners (Baygo and Sam) having to deal with closing or reducing schedules of their restaurants, they are mocked and dismissed. To date, I know far more, e.g., two dozen or so, people who will be irreparably affected by this overreaction. I don't know one person or a friend of one person who actually has the Chinese coronavirus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
jbolty (05-11-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #211
StevenGilford

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) has published their models in an accessible way, and includes state by state breakdowns.

The model seems to be in line with the current federal models, estimating 39,000 to 142,000 total deaths assuming the continuation of strong social distancing measures and other protective measures.

Across the US they expect peak hospital resource usage to occur on April 15th. You can drill down to New Hampshire which they think is 2 weeks behind, and will hit peak hospital resource usage on April 30th.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #212
StevenGilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
To date, I know far more, e.g., two dozen or so, people who will be irreparably affected by this overreaction. I don't know one person or a friend of one person who actually has the Chinese coronavirus.
How many people that you know would need to catch the virus, or die from the virus, to make it worth impacting the two dozen people you know that are suffering economically?

Last edited by StevenGilford; 03-30-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Biggd (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #213
Mr. V

Quote:
Of course he should, as should we all help our family members out in times of trouble.

It used to be that the family was the primary support group for individuals; what happened?

You bring 'em into the world, they're your primary responsibility, not society's.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #214
Major

Quote:
How many people that you know would need to catch the virus, or die from the virus, to make it worth impacting the two dozen people you know that are suffering economically?
I don't know, but doesn't it seem silly to close down an entire county for 8 confirmed cases?

Like the President said, none. However, that's not realistic. In the U.S., roughly 2,500,000 people die every year, for a variety of reasons. The flu was particularly bad a couple of years ago in which 60,000 to 80,000 died. Updated estimates of the Chinese coronavirus may reach this amount, yet you never heard about the bad flu year and we didn't collapse our economy. You can't deny that FAR, FAR more people are adversely affected by shutting down the economy. 30% of our workforce is out of work. That's higher than the Great Depression.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #215
StevenGilford

Quote:
I don't know, but doesn't it seem silly to close down an entire county for 8 confirmed cases?
Not to me. On February 26th, President Trump told us there were only 15 cases in the US, and "within a couple days [it is] going to be down to close to zero". We're now at more than 150,000.

Open up Belknap County because "there are only 8 confirmed cases" uses the same faulty logic. You also made the point earlier in this thread that we "don't know the denominator" and that's true, both across the US and in NH. With 8 confirmed cases, how many do you actually think are in the county?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #216
Biggd

It's unfortunate that some people have to personally feel the effects of the virus to actually believe it's real.
Major refuses to believe that sickness and even death from the virus is more important than loss of income from the virus because no one that he knows has it.
I don't personally know anyone that has the virus but I know many that are financially effected by it including my children. If it's a choice of friends and family being safe or making money I will choose safety every time.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #217
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I just want my new jetski.Name:  FB_IMG_1585598480968.jpeg
Views: 3099
Size:  53.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-30-2020), kawishiwi (03-31-2020), Not to Worry (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #218
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If it's a choice of friends and family being safe or making money I will choose safety every time.

Neither you or your family will ever be 100% "safe". Living life precludes that. Are we going to drive to the lake at 10 MPH? Get rid of our dangerous "oversized" boats? Should we shut the country down next flu season so no one can catch it? No, we are going to take precautions and enjoy our lives.

Reading these threads, anyone suggesting anything short of a full shutdown of the US, has been attacked as a greedy capitalist ogre. I have read pretty much every post on this forum regarding this topic and have noted that people are concerned with the health of the economy, not their personal checkbook.

Hind-sight is truly 20/20. We will know in a year or so if we under- or over- reacted. I know that not everyone will agree on that analysis. I regularly write and audit emergency response plans (ERPs). We can prepare and draft plans all we want, but we can't have the supplies and equipment on hand to mitigate every risk- there are too many possible eventualities.

Be careful and safe!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-30-2020), Grandpa Redneck (03-30-2020), ishoot308 (03-30-2020), jbolty (05-11-2020), LIforrelaxin (03-30-2020), Longtimelurker (03-30-2020), Major (03-30-2020), MAXUM (03-30-2020), Shreddy (03-30-2020), TiltonBB (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #219
StevenGilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Neither you or your family will ever be 100% "safe". Living life precludes that. Are we going to drive to the lake at 10 MPH? Get rid of our dangerous "oversized" boats? Should we shut the country down next flu season so no one can catch it? No, we are going to take precautions and enjoy our lives.
I will do my utmost to avoid any activity or illness that possibly has a 1 in 7 chance of killing my grandparents. Next year when there is a vaccine and treatment, and the mortality rate drops, I'll treat COVID-19 like those other activities.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #220
Biggd

Quote:

Reading these threads, anyone suggesting anything short of a full shutdown of the US, has been attacked as a greedy capitalist ogre. I have read pretty much every post on this forum regarding this topic and have noted that people are concerned with the health of the economy, not their personal checkbook.

Hind-sight is truly 20/20. We will know in a year or so if we under- or over- reacted. I know that not everyone will agree on that analysis. I regularly write and audit emergency response plans (ERPs). We can prepare and draft plans all we want, but we can't have the supplies and equipment on hand to mitigate every risk- there are too many possible eventualities.

Be careful and safe!
There is no way to avoid a financial hit from this pandemic either. The best case is to take these precations so we can get back to business as soon as possible with as few casualties as possible. But a few on here refuse to believe the numbers, or they choose to ignore them.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #221
VitaBene

Quote:
I will do my utmost to avoid any activity or illness that possibly has a 1 in 7 chance of killing my grandparents. Next year when there is a vaccine and treatment, and the mortality rate drops, I'll treat COVID-19 like those other activities.
Understood, but those vaccines and treatments are not going to invent, package, market, deliver and sell themselves.

I am not implying that we need to rush, but we certainly need to get this country moving again.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #222
StevenGilford

Quote:
Understood, but those vaccines and treatments are not going to invent, package, market, deliver and sell themselves.

I am not implying that we need to rush, but we certainly need to get this country moving again.
Agreed, and that's where neither I nor anybody else I've seen, are advocating shutting down the economy for 1 or 2 years (like Trump claimed "the doctors" want). With the measures that have been put into place already, if they continue, the US overall peak is expected on April 15th according to IHME and the whole economy can be opened up sometime in May or June. Being careful to monitor and deal with resurgences of the virus.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #223
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
It's unfortunate that some people have to personally feel the effects of the virus to actually believe it's real.
Major refuses to believe that sickness and even death from the virus is more important than loss of income from the virus because no one that he knows has it.
I don't personally know anyone that has the virus but I know many that are financially effected by it including my children. If it's a choice of friends and family being safe or making money I will choose safety every time.
It's a matter of looking at the big picture

This is really no different than say the battle of Normandy. Going into it the casualty count would be high and the outcome unknown but it had to be done. Do you really think all the guys who were there ready to storm the beach would have preferred to choose their personal safety? Of course but they were fighting for a greater cause, for the very survival of this country.

In the same way, if this country fails economically it's screwed. This not about a paycheck or making money but ensuring the very economic engine that makes this country possible survives.

Loss of life is never acceptable if it can be avoided. However at some point with reasonable precautions taken this country needs to get back on it's feet economically. Failure to do so will be far more devastating than anything this virus will dish out. If you refuse to recognize that then you are equally as guilty of the same thing you accuse Major of.

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." If sitting at home waiting for your government handout check to arrive is your answer that's fine, but for many of us that is unacceptable.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #224
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post

This is really no different than say the battle of Normandy. Going into it the casualty count would be high and the outcome unknown but it had to be done. Do you really think all the guys who were there ready to storm the beach would have preferred to choose their personal safety? Of course but they were fighting for a greater cause, for the very survival of this country.

In the same way, if this country fails economically it's screwed. This not about a paycheck or making money but ensuring the very economic engine that makes this country possible survives.

Loss of life is never acceptable if it can be avoided. However at some point with reasonable precautions taken this country needs to get back on it's feet economically. Failure to do so will be far more devastating than anything this virus will dish out. If you refuse to recognize that then you are equally as guilty of the same thing you accuse Major of.

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." If sitting at home waiting for your government handout check to arrive is your answer that's fine, but for many of us that is unacceptable.
You seem to be fine with sacrificing lives to save the economy. Would you be fine with sacrificing your family members to save the economy?

Old 03-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #225
StevenGilford

Quote:

This McKinsey Economic Impact Report states that the quickest way to economic recovery is a strong and successful public health response - controlling the spread of the virus within two-to-three months.
Biggd (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #226
MAXUM

Quote:
You seem to be fine with sacrificing lives to save the economy. Would you be fine with sacrificing your family members to save the economy?

Saving the economy is the same as saving the country - clearly you fail to make that connection.

Don't you dare smugly ask me about sacrifice I did two tours overseas in war zones while in the military to protect you and now I risk exposure every day going to work to keep the systems alive that are running clinical trials for COVID-19 so back off. You're damn right I would because I am an American and I love this country. I'll be damned if I am going to let some fruit loop like yourself tell me otherwise.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-15-2020), Hillcountry (03-30-2020), ishoot308 (03-31-2020), lakeporter65 (03-31-2020), Pricestavern (03-31-2020), rick35 (03-30-2020), VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #227
Biggd

I didn't ask if you would sacrifice yourself, I asked if you would sacrifice your family members for the economy. We been through economic downturns before and we come out the other end even stronger. We will get through this one and many more to come.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #228
Sue Doe-Nym

Very impressive press conference going on right now, including the CEOs of a number of companies contributing to the Coronavirus effort: Proctor and Gamble, United Technology, Jockey, to name a few. Many corporations are involved in this crisis, and it’s heartwarming, no matter which side of the political spectrum you support......thousands of people, working together to solve the problem.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-30-2020), MAXUM (03-30-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (03-31-2020), VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #229
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Very impressive press conference going on right now, including the CEOs of a number of companies contributing to the Coronavirus effort: Proctor and Gamble, United Technology, Jockey, to name a few. Many corporations are involved in this crisis, and it’s heartwarming, no matter which side of the political party you support......thousands of people, working together to solve the problem.
I used to get sick of seeing the “My Pillow” guy, Mike Lindell. I no longer turn off his commercials but now look upon him as a hero, stepping up to serve his country along with all the other business giants. Thank you all!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #230
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I used to get sick of seeing the “My Pillow” guy, Mike Lindell. I no longer turn off his commercials but now look upon him as a hero, stepping up to serve his country along with all the other business giants. Thank you all!
I hear he is working on the "Giza dream mask"

Mike Lindell is actually a really cool success story if you ever get a chance to read about his company and how he got started. Great guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-30-2020), VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #231
Hillcountry

Quote:

Mike Lindell is actually a really cool success story if you ever get a chance to read about his company and how he got started. Great guy.
I’ll support him and his products! Now if he’d only invent “geezer sheets” as I may need them in the coming years!!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #232
VitaBene

Quote:
Saving the economy is the same as saving the country - clearly you fail to make that connection.
Yes- thank you!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #233
Barney Bear

Default Important Requirement

Geezer sheets should be waterproof!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #234
StevenGilford

Quote:
Yes- thank you!
Quote:
This McKinsey Economic Impact Report states that the quickest way to economic recovery is a strong and successful public health response - controlling the spread of the virus within two-to-three months.
Do you have other information that suggests that saving lives, mitigating the impact of COVID-19, and getting the US economy back on track don't all have the same solution?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #235
StevenGilford

56 more people diagnosed with COVID-19 in New Hampshire

56 more people have been diagnosed with coronavirus in New Hampshire, bringing the state's total cases to 314. State epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan announced the largest one-day increase in cases since the pandemic began at a press conference Monday (March 30).

"But I want to stress again that even if you live in a town where a map may not show that COVID-19 has been found to be circulating, that we would encourage people to operate under the assumption that COVID-19 is circulating in your community," Chan said.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #236
WinnisquamZ

https://twitter.com/wmur9/status/124...837005826?s=21

Old 03-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #237
gillygirl

Quote:
Yet people with REAL life difficulties, whether my son losing his job, or good restaurant owners (Baygo and Sam) having to deal with closing or reducing schedules of their restaurants, they are mocked and dismissed.
Baygo and Sam, have you felt mocked and dismissed?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
JEEPONLY (03-30-2020), joey2665 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #238
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Same here!
I bought a pillow- didn't like it- but the guy does seem genuine.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #239
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
I’ll support him and his products! Now if he’d only invent “geezer sheets” as I may need them in the coming years!!
Only if they're "Egyptian" geezer sheets!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #240
coolyourjets

Quote:

Yes, a great guy. Fined $1 Million a few years ago for deceptive advertising practices by claiming that the pillow cures diseases without an ounce of data to back it up. You can like the product but I would guess that most people on here would choose to not support someone who was trying to take advantage of them.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:36 AM   #241
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyourjets View Post
Yes, a great guy. Fined $1 Million a few years ago for deceptive advertising practices by claiming that the pillow cures diseases without an ounce of data to back it up. You can like the product but I would guess that most people on here would choose to not support someone who was trying to take advantage of them.
That surprised me so I did a little research. The article I read said the company grosses over $100 million per year and this article says $1.4 million a week on advertising. That doesn't leave much to run the company or hire a lot of lawyers!

MyPillow mired in legal challenges

MyPillow has been facing legal action on several fronts since TINA.org first put the company on notice in February regarding unsubstantiated health claims for its heavily marketed pillow. (The company spends $1.4 million a week on advertising, according to the Boston Herald.) Since then, three class-action lawsuits have been filed against MyPillow, all of which, in one form or another, mirrored TINA.org’s findings. These findings include claims that Lindell is a “sleep expert” despite having no specialized training or board certification in actual sleep medicine (see below); the misuse of several news organizations’ logos, including The New York Times that falsely suggests endorsements by the media outlets; and the misleading nature of the company’s ubiquitous buy-one-get-one-free pillow offer. Citing consumer complaints about the BOGO offer, the BBB in January 2017 revoked MyPillow’s accreditation and lowered its rating from an A-plus to an F.

Several people complained about the company’s ubiquitous buy-one-get-one-free offer. Turns out, the price MyPillow quotes in the promotion as the “regular price” is roughly double what you can pay for a single pillow — a fact now at the center of another class action against the company.

In an interview, MyPillow founder and CEO Michael Lindell noted that MyPillow did not admit any wrongdoing in the California case. He said the company settled in order to avoid the cost and time associated with further litigation.

What can we conclude? Slick marketing is still slick!
Old 03-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #242
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Same here!
I bought a pillow- didn't like it- but the guy does seem genuine.

I'm not impressed by the pillows either.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #243
dippasan

Default And now a word from our sponsors

Breeeeeeeathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RwubJIIa0Q
Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #244
lakeporter65

Quote:

That is such a Foolish question. Not quite sure how anyone with any intelligence could ask that question. Just boggles a mind. Just plain WOW...
Old 03-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #245
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Perhaps I should apologize, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeporter65 View Post
That is such a Foolish question. Not quite sure how anyone with any intelligence could ask that question. Just boggles a mind. Just plain WOW...
As I write this, I am shaking my head in awe....your posts are boggling my mind.....how can you make such foolish comments? Just plain WOW. Please stop disgracing yourself.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-31-2020), TiltonBB (03-31-2020), Winilyme (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #246
StevenGilford

It was an ineloquent question but how is it any more "foolish" than someone saying "I don't know anyone with coronavirus so the country is overreacting"? Talk about selective outrage.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #247
FlyingScot

Quote:
You need to read more slowly, and then (PUHLEASE!) stop posting.

Readers who were actually paying attention realized that BiggD asked about Maxum's family rhetorically--he "knew" that Maxum would not sacrifice family and only wanted Maxum to acknowledge as much.

But then Maxum--in maybe the most powerful post I've ever read--said that as a military man with 2 tours he WOULD sacrifice his family for the country he loves, and then went even further by noting his current risk for what truly is an essential service.

So as it turns out, BiggD asked an excellent question that provoked an excellent response. My hat is off to both BiggD and Maxum.

This is different that your posts, which as others have noted, are just bitter and ill-founded. Please stop
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #248
lakeporter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post

Readers who were actually paying attention realized that BiggD asked about Maxum's family rhetorically--he "knew" that Maxum would not sacrifice family and only wanted Maxum to acknowledge as much.

But then Maxum--in maybe the most powerful post I've ever read--said that as a military man with 2 tours he WOULD sacrifice his family for the country he loves, and then went even further by noting his current risk for what truly is an essential service.

So as it turns out, BiggD asked an excellent question that provoked an excellent response. My hat is off to both BiggD and Maxum.

This is different that your posts, which as others have noted, are just bitter and ill-founded. Please stop
Yet !! True. They don't follow your left leaning agenda, however they are true. SO, Did you try and be nice to a total stranger today? I sincerely doubt you did. Mass people are just like that.
If the shoe fits??
Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #249
Biggd

Thumbs down

If you just signed up to this site to post nasty remarks you will get nasty responses. Esp now that everyone is house bound and stressed to the max!
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ebko87 (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #250
lakeporter65

Quote:
If you just signed up to this site to post nasty remarks you will get nasty responses. Esp now that everyone is house bound and stressed to the max!
LOL, not that way at all. I speak the truth and some don't want to hear it. I'm fine with that! But I don't on the other hand have to listen to others
misunderstanding of the truth or Their side of the truth and be caught up with what ( I ) call bulls&%t. This is GLOBAL. And all the travelers think it doesn't apply to them. How can that be? Serious question. How can that be?
Old 03-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #251
lakeporter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post

And as you pointed out( others have noted )... A few others, AND There are 3 times as many that agree with me and have not posted. Just like the 2016 Election when Hillary was SURE to become the next President. How did that work out for you guys? There are always 2 sides to every opinion.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #252
Bigstan

Quote:
LOL, not that way at all. I speak the truth and some don't want to hear it. I'm fine with that! But I don't on the other hand have to listen to others
misunderstanding of the truth or Their side of the truth and be caught up with what ( I ) call bulls&%t. This is GLOBAL. And all the travelers think it doesn't apply to them. How can that be? Serious question. How can that be?
Since you're the only one that knows/speaks the truth why are you asking a question? You should be telling us.

Please tell us why ALL travelers think the exact same way and enlighten us ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #253
Bigstan

Quote:
And as you pointed out( others have noted )... A few others, AND There are 3 times as many that agree with me and have not posted. Just like the 2016 Election when Hillary was SURE to become the next President. How did that work out for you guys? There are always 2 sides to every opinion.
Good that you can quantify the amount of people who do not say anything that agree with you, what a talent you have.

And it worked out well, thanks for asking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #254
FlyingScot

Quote:
My point on your posts was not based on politics or popularity--it was strictly personal. Personal in the sense that you insult people with nothing behind you but some sort of deep amorphous rage. Just for example--it is wrong to assert that everybody from Mass is less kind to strangers than those from NH (you've done this two or three times now).

On the political front, you'll notice that I have not asked other Republicans to stop posting, and that I acknowledge when they make reasonable points. This Maxum post is just one example--I disagree vehemently with his position, but he did make a damn good point. It's too bad that you missed it
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #255
Biggd

I've never blocked anyone but I'm going to block this guy! Just don't want to read his BS.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #256
Pricestavern

Thumbs down Over the Top

Quote:
Yet !! True. They don't follow your left leaning agenda, however they are true. SO, Did you try and be nice to a total stranger today? I sincerely doubt you did. Mass people are just like that.
If the shoe fits??
Dude - relax. 'Mass people are just like that'? Really???? So, it's not pigeon-holing if they're all really like that, right? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to cut you off. In the meantime, take a deep breath and get a hold of yourself.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #257
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Dude - relax. 'Mass people are just like that'? Really???? So, it's not pigeon-holing if they're all really like that, right? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to cut you off. In the meantime, take a deep breath and get a hold of yourself.
You just gave him a New Yorker to target, stand back...
Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM   #258
ApS

Arrow Starbucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebon View Post
I am confused. Didn’t our president limit activity with social distancing guidance? Didn’t the governor of NH limit business activity? Also, didn’t our president and our congress just give the biggest welfare package in history? I am not seeing this as a liberal handouts or a grab of personal freedom.

If you or a family member was laid off, I feel sorry for them. The economy has been propped up by the government for a long time and it was bound to happen at some point. Check the relief package for money you can get from the government. Also, check with the company that laid you off because if they had less than 500 employees, they can still make payroll through June 30th up to annual salaries of $100k per employee through the relief package.

My opinion is that this is all because testing failed and it was not taken seriously by most people from the get go. When it gets to NH, most resources in the country will be depleted. So, NH will not be immune.

Telling out of state home owners to stay in their home states is taking away personal freedom. And, no state or individual has any right to do that. My opinion is that the spread will occur regardless of out of state home owners. The spread will occur because disease spreads and people move from state to state for many things, including deliveries of supplies.

I am one county away from NYC and I am NOT going to my lake house. I am staying here because (1) NY will be over it by the time it peaks in NH and (2) NH in the spring is the worst time to be in NH.
Starbucks has re-opened its stores in China.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #259
TiltonBB

Quote:
I've never blocked anyone but I'm going to block this guy! Just don't want to read his BS.

I agree. It would not surprise me if the powers in charge decide he has worn out his welcome. And then Poof! Never heard from again!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:34 PM   #260
lakeporter65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I agree. It would not surprise me if the powers in charge decide he has worn out his welcome. And then Poof! Never heard from again!
Did you say Hello to a total stranger today TiltonBB ? If you did, did it make you feel any better or are you still a Bitter person?
Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM   #261
Susie Cougar

There are some hard feelings here about people from Massachusetts. We were summer people in the 1950s and the 1960s from Massachusetts, until my parents retired in 1972. Back then, there was so much lakefront available that locals sometimes would buy it for a dollar an acre just so they could log it. People never thought that the lake would ever be this developed.

I think there was a lot of resentment back then when some of the locals realized that out of staters saw the value in the lake that they didn’t. A lot of people like my parents from Massachusetts bought land and it was a very good investment!

I remember back in the 1960s when lakefront was selling for $100 a foot. Locals laughed in my father’s face when he was buying large chunks of property.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #262
MAXUM

Quote:
Actually it is a fair and legitimate question based on my response. I see it perfectly fair to question one's consistency in taking a certain position whether you happen to agree with it or not. In no way was it personal or inappropriate considering the context.

I may not agree with anything Biggd or others believe in regards to politics or this virus situation- but I certainly respect their opinions. I can't say as much for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #263
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default 14 Days

I say put FLL and lakeporter65 in a room for 14 days and see what happens!

Now that I think about it- include Major!

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 03-31-2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: addition
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #264
Sue Doe-Nym

Another informative press conference featuring Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci. It’s a no BS
data-driven session. Stay at home, mind your business, avoid groups, and hope for the best. Also....avoid slinging arrows at people with whom you disagree....
that’s imperative!
😎
Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #265
lakeporter65

Quote:
Another informative press conference featuring Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci. It’s a no BS
data-driven session. Stay at home, mind your business, avoid groups, and hope for the best. Also....avoid slinging arrows at people with whom you disagree....
that’s imperative!
😎

They are just proving my point.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #266
StevenGilford

This is going to be a rough two week period or maybe even three weeks. It is absolutely critical for the American people to follow the guidelines. It’s a matter of life and death.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #267
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
This is going to be a rough two week period or maybe even three weeks. It is absolutely critical for the American people to follow the guidelines. It’s a matter of life and death.
Absolutely! It is deader than dead down here on Florida’s west coast...restaurants, bars, beaches, pools, almost everything....CLOSED. People seem to be taking it all seriously .....very little traffic. It’s no fun, but well worth the effort if the damage done by the pandemic can be mitigated. We’ll have to wait and see. 🤞
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Pricestavern (05-11-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #268
MAXUM

Quote:
I can tell you on my way to work this week the volume of traffic on the roads has slightly increased. Why? Dunno - have some had enough and are starting to return to a normal routine or is there a legit reason for it?

Every day on my way home I am seeing more out of state plates headed into NH, beyond the typical mix of MA plates, I'm talking CT, NY, NJ, RI and beyond.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #269
fatlazyless

Quote:

Every day on my way home I am seeing more out of state plates headed into NH, beyond the typical mix of MA plates, I'm talking CT, NY, NJ, RI and beyond.
Put up a road block, built with huge 100-year old pine trees, blocking Rt 93 between Methuen Ma and Salem NH, at the state border, and start hitting out-of-stater's with a big, fat NH entry fee based on what car they is driving ..... economy - regular - luxury ...... say $1000 - $5000 - $10000.

This next one here ...... it looks like an Audi ....... well, hellooooooooo! ....
Old 04-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #270
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Put up a road block, built with huge 100-year old pine trees, blocking Rt 93 between Methuen Ma and Salem NH, at the state border, and start hitting out-of-stater's with a big, fat NH entry fee based on what car they is driving ..... economy - regular - luxury ...... say $1000 - $5000 - $10000.

This next one here ...... it looks like an Audi ....... well, hellooooooooo! ....
If they are driving an older Scionn XB, a little smashed up, what do you think? Give them a sympathy card and a few dollars to help them along their way?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #271
ApS

Arrow Dr. Birx Tells Off CDC...

Quote:
Another informative press conference featuring Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci. It’s a no BS data-driven session. Stay at home, mind your business, avoid groups, and hope for the best. Also....avoid slinging arrows at people with whom you disagree....that’s imperative!
😎
Yesterday, Dr. Birx tells CDC Director:

Quote:
"Coronavirus mortality numbers are inflated by as much as 25%."

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...lated-much-25/
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #272
Newbiesaukee

I know I will regret this...but if you really read the link, it does not say what you are claiming. As with most distorted reports/conspiracy theories, there is a kernel of truth but the insinuations lead to distortions and erroneous conclusions.

I can’t find a direct quote attributed to the doctors...but I would opine it is taken out of context if one exists.

This is not limited to either right or left wing distortions. But, in this case it is right wing.

This deliberate disinformation virus is more dangerous, in the long run, than Covid.

Finally, I am not saying the poster does not believe it and that is the problem. We believe what we wish to believe...but that does not make it true.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #273
ApS

Lightbulb Shining a Bright Light on Bezos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I know I will regret this...but if you really read the link, it does not say what you are claiming. As with most distorted reports/conspiracy theories, there is a kernel of truth but the insinuations lead to distortions and erroneous conclusions.

I can’t find a direct quote attributed to the doctors...but I would opine it is taken out of context if one exists.

This is not limited to either right or left wing distortions. But, in this case it is right wing.

This deliberate disinformation virus is more dangerous, in the long run, than Covid.

Finally, I am not saying the poster does not believe it and that is the problem. We believe what we wish to believe...but that does not make it true.
I couldn't find a direct quote attributed to the doctors, either. Apparently, their online product was slow to come out. However, by Monday, several online sources mention the Washington Post.

The "outburst" was on Wednesday. Was one of the "unnamed sources"— quoted by the Washington Post—the Gateway Pundit?

Today, there's another reference:
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #274
Mr. V

Default covid-19 is killing businesses as well as people

Meanwhile businesses are failing, closing, going dark, filing bankruptch in droves.

Just saw Cirque du Soleil filed for bankruptcy.

see list: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hanktuc.../#17818ee53425