Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Steveo

Default Shoreline Protection Act seminar

I put this embedded in another thread and got no reaction. So I am starting new thread to see if people are interested:

The UNH Cooperative Extension is sponsoring a Shoreline Protection Act seminar on Monday, April 19th, in Alton.

I contacted them to see if it was possible to have a Shoreline Protection Act seminar on a weekend instead of a Monday when most non-residents can not make it. They did respond and are willing to hold one in late summer/early fall on a weekend. Is this of interest to people? I don't want them to go to all this trouble and no one show up. Let me know what you think of the idea or suggestions for the best dates and times.

Thanks,
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (04-13-2010)
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Steveo,

I for one would definitely be interested in such a seminar on a weekend day. Late summer early fall will work for me. I think with all the changes that have been happening this would be a very informative session.

In as much as you apparently already have someone you are talking to at the Cooperative, Could you ask them if they will be taping the seminar? I for one would be willing to pay a small fee and send in for a DVD or VHS copy, or high even go high tech and use pay pal for a streaming video copy of such a seminar.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I put this embedded in another thread and got no reaction. So I am starting new thread to see if people are interested:
The UNH Cooperative Extension is sponsoring a Shoreline Protection Act seminar on Monday, April 19th, in Alton.
I contacted them to see if it was possible to have a Shoreline Protection Act seminar on a weekend instead of a Monday when most non-residents can not make it. They did respond and are willing to hold one in late summer/early fall on a weekend. Is this of interest to people? I don't want them to go to all this trouble and no one show up. Let me know what you think of the idea or suggestions for the best dates and times.
Thanks,
kindly and this person would love to attend one at most anytime. for taking the time to request it and letting us have the opportunity to give our input.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
kindly and this person would love to attend one at most anytime.
RLW: Pick me up on your way by and I'll tag along. If I'm not up there that week-end....take good notes!!
McD

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

Depending on time and place, I would try to make it.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Town Planners

and Building Inspectors should go. I friend of mine had plans approved by the town last summer and the building inspector been approving the work since the foundation was poured late in the fall. The NH DES recently inspected the property and found the building is in noncompliance. DES was telling my friend that he is ultimately responsible to be in compliance. Not the town. My friend repeatedly ask the planners and building inspector if he was in compliance and they said yes. I'm not sure where this will lead. You can't rely on local government.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Pine Island Guy

Default well worth your time!!!

Having been to one of the DES all day sessions in Meredith a couple of years ago, it was well worth it! All the speakers were great and I got an immense amount of information, which ultimately helped me determine the best approach to my project and obtaining the permit. To Broadhopper's point, at the session I was at there were a lot of town planners, inspectors, etc. all learning what the new regulations were all about.

Even if you have to take a day off from work, do it (hey, call in sick and go to the lake for a day and learn something)...

Enjoy and learn -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
and Building Inspectors should go. I friend of mine had plans approved by the town last summer and the building inspector been approving the work since the foundation was poured late in the fall. The NH DES recently inspected the property and found the building is in noncompliance. DES was telling my friend that he is ultimately responsible to be in compliance. Not the town. My friend repeatedly ask the planners and building inspector if he was in compliance and they said yes. I'm not sure where this will lead. You can't rely on local government.
BH,

I feel from your friend. This is a down fall I have seen before around the lake. It seems as though the local towns don't always keep up. I know of two stories where there have been problems after the town has approved the plans, but then DES finds things not complient.

What I can't understand, why doesn't the state ask for the DES permit application information and wait for the results before issue the final permit.

Anyways hopes it all works out for your friend.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
Heaven

I'm a little confused as to why the UNH Coop-X would be putting on the lecture when it is a DES approval and DES rules? Wouldn't it be safer to get the lecture right from DES?

I'd be curious which town(s) and what type of project or non compliance was found, more specifically if possible?
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I'm a little confused as to why the UNH Coop-X would be putting on the lecture when it is a DES approval and DES rules? Wouldn't it be safer to get the lecture right from DES?

I'd be curious which town(s) and what type of project or non compliance was found, more specifically if possible?

It is a joint effort between the UNHCE and DES, see description below:

Workshop in Alton on April 19 will cover N.H. shoreline protection act
ALTON ¬ UNH Cooperative Extension is offering
a workshop on understanding the Comprehensive
Shoreland Protection Act and Landscaping at
the Water’s Edge on Monday, April 19 at the Gilman
Museum In Alton. Learn about NH Comprehensive
Shoreland Protection Act and the 50 point method
and how they pertain to forestry and non-forestry
activities. Understand how landscaping choices, ecologically-
based design, and low-impact maintenance
can help protect, even improve, the quality of our
water resources. The presenters will be Cathy Neal,
UNHCE and Jay Aube, DES.
To register, call UNH Cooperative Extension at
603-447-3834 or 603-527-5475.
This workshop is co-sponsored by UNH Cooperative
Extension, New Hampshire Department of
Environmental Service and the New Hampshire
Division of Forests and Lands.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Natt

Default Worth while

They UNHCE Service and DES's Jay Aube conducted just such a seminar at the Moultonborough library two weeks ago. Perhaps 25 meople attended. It was certainly worth it and informative not only from a regulatory point of view but a very good introduction to proper and beneficial landscaping at the waters edge.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

Default Any planned?

Does anyone know of any planned/upcoming training sessions on CSPA?

I am looking to submit all the forms to gain approval for my lakeside lot. But given the number of forms, rules, etc, it would be good to be able to get some guidance along the way.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Onshore

Nothing currently scheduled. In the lakes Region but you can call the phone number on the application and set up a time to come in and we can go over it with you before you submit the application.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Merrymeeting

Shore Things,

Thanks for the prompt and informative post.

The main thing I am looking for right now is an example of, or more specific information on the plan requirements.

I have a small, pre-existing, non-conforming lot. The post-construction conditions will be very close to the pre-construction, with no work planned in the Waterfront Buffer.

Would a notated plot plan be acceptable, or do I need to hire a surveying firm to create a formal plan. (Obviously I'm trying to keep costs down here while still meeting the needs of the Act). Are there any example applications available online?

Thanks again
Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Onshore

We have accepted plot plans modified by the property owners before. Call Jay Aube in our office. He is technically our Outreach Coordinator, but is currently retasked to permitting. I know he has put some short powerpoints together on various aspects of completeing the application. If he has something on plan preparation he can get it to you.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
Nothing currently scheduled. In the lakes Region but you can call the phone number on the application and set up a time to come in and we can go over it with you before you submit the application.
Sarcasm Alert!

Right, talk it over ahead of time. Really, all you are doing is taking down all the info to make it impossible to do anything with their waterfront property.

Really shore things, time to come clean with this... It can't possibly be that easy.

Last edited by jmen24; 08-31-2010 at 09:07 AM.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Onshore

No, it really is that easy to come in and talk over an application before submitting it. It is better for everyone if the application is complete when it gets to us. Suprisingly, none of us here actually enjoy doing unnecessary papework so if we can suggest a design alternative that wouldn't require a permit or if for some reason the project just isn't approvable we would just as soon tell the applicant before they file an application.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
DRH (08-30-2010), Merrymeeting (08-30-2010), RLW (08-30-2010), Yosemite Sam (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
RLW

Quote:
No, it really is that easy to come in and talk over an application before submitting it. It is better for everyone if the application is complete when it gets to us. Suprisingly, none of us here actually enjoy doing unnecessary papework so if we can suggest a design alternative that wouldn't require a permit or if for some reason the project just isn't approvable we would just as soon tell the applicant before they file an application.
That sure as heck makes a Lotta since to this ole geezer. It is very beneficial to both parties and will save a Lotta lead and paper. Lets be Green.
Yosemite Sam (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
jmen24

I forget, anyone know what this smily means?

Oh well. Guess CSPA is not the big monster it is portrayed as being.

Anyway, what is the expected turn around time for an appointment to be scheduled for a preliminary permit review.

Preliminary permiting meetings are standard issue in the construction industry, but they need to be handled timely in order to work as intended. Some folks have contracted deadlines that we are working with.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Onshore

I saw the smiley and had crafted a reply just dripping with sarcasm, but then deleted it for fear it would show up in some other place taken completely out of context.

The 2 gentlemen primarily responsible for permitting right now are usually able to schedule within a week. I can be a little more difficult to schedule with depending on the season.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #21
jmen24

Quote:
I saw the smiley and had crafted a reply just dripping with sarcasm, but then deleted it for fear it would show up in some other place taken completely out of context.

The 2 gentlemen primarily responsible for permitting right now are usually able to schedule within a week. I can be a little more difficult to schedule with depending on the season.
I should have known better, but with all the bad rap folks give CSPA, I just had to point out that it is really not that bad.

Thanks for the replies and the additional information for anyone that may be in future need of your services.