Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Moultonborough Town Meeting

I would like to encourage...no BEG...Moultonborough residents who are against Article 6 ($6.7 million rec. center) to attend Town Meeting tomorrow, June 20, at the Sandwich fairgrounds. The final Selectboard meeting was last night, and Town Moderator refuses to postpone the event, despite countless emails and letters imploring him to postpone the meeting. Seniors are concerned about Covid-19, plus the unbelievable heat and humidity forecast for tomorrow, plus questionable sanitary facilities, porta potties, at our disposal. This entire situation is an outrage, fostered by the people who are desperate for this rec. center, ignoring the dangers to the health and well being of everyone, particularly the elderly and those with health problems. It’s another example of the ME generation, going after what they want, regardless of the dangers to others. GO and VOTE NO on Article 6!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
phoenix

I assume this to pass would need a 2/3 vote.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Yes, that’s correct, but many seniors are planning to skip the meeting because of Covid, the heat/humidity and the lack of adequate sanitary facilities. Therefore, there’s a very real probability that the younger voters will finally get their way, and the senior and waterfront owners will get the bulk of the bill. It’s a hideous and unfair situation. I think that many people who are not in favor of the rec. center (myself included) could accept the results either way if so many worried seniors were not going to be disenfranchised.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
longislander

Article 5, Community Center for $3 million, and article 6 Community Center plus gym for $6.7 million need 2/3rds yes votes to pass.

The last gasp attempt has been to "table" both articles till next year, or when there will be more representation, attendance. A motion to table, only takes a simple majority and can be made by any voter.

The final select board meeting of last night was also the meeting that the Chair of the Select Board resigned, because of the turmoil of pro and con of this, and the select board decision cancelling recreation programs for the summer. There was an uproar about this. Probably the proponents of article 6. The select board voted to request the moderator to postpone the meeting, at the previous meeting, and reiterated last night.

The moderator set the date several weeks ago, after, at least, three cancellations because of the governor's emergency orders. The moderator is damned if he does, or doesn't, postpone the meeting. Opponents of article six demand it be postponed. If he does, proponents of article 6 would probably bring court action. There has already been written request to the select board to bring court action against the moderator to postpone.

Expecting the petitioned article 6 proponents to "table" the article is a bit much. Will there be a 2/3rds majority of the proponents of article 6... likely, and the same majority that will reject article 5.

The wife and I (in our seventies) will be there, and vote NO!
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
winni83

In my opinion, the Moultonborough Town Moderator is a shill for the proponents of Article 6 and those who feel that the Moultonborough Recreation Department is part of the Holy Trinity. Look at his Blog and Facebook posts and his history as a Selectman in Moultonborough.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
In my opinion, the Moultonborough Town Moderator is a shill for the proponents of Article 6 and those who feel that the Moultonborough Recreation Department is part of the Holy Trinity. Look at his Blog and Facebook posts and his history as a Selectman in Moultonborough.
We couldn’t agree more! It’s just plain criminal that he, as Moderator, is clearly so biased toward the rec. department and has the power to run (ruin) the show. Very distressing situation.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #7
longislander

Announced this afternoon:

Quote:
The Town Moderator announces the postponement of the 2020 Town Meeting scheduled for June 20th 2020 to June 29th 2020 at 4:00pm at the Moultonborough Academy. The School District meeting will be held as scheduled at 9:00am at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Shipfitter

Looks like School Meeting is on and town meeting is rescheduled to June 29
Shipfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
longislander

Moderator:

Quote:
Due to threat of pending litigation, I will have to postpone town meeting once again. The new date will be Monday June 29th 2020 at 4pm at Moultonborough Academy.

School district meeting has not been cancelled and will occur as planned at 9am tomorrow morning at the Sandwich Fairgrounds.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
winni83

I find it very odd that in his post on his infamous Blog, the Town Moderator makes reference to a threat of pending litigation, yet there is no such reference on the Town Website announcement nor in the E Mail from the Town.

Pandering to his base perhaps?

Litigation is either pending or threatened. There is no such thing as "Due to threat of pending litigation..." [Quote from his Blog]

Last edited by winni83; 06-19-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Tell your friends and neighbors

June 29th at 4 P.M. at Moultonborough Academy is a huge improvement! The place will very likely be packed so I don’t know how they’re going to handle social distancing, but we’ll have air conditioning and actual indoor plumbing. In case any of your friends, neighbors don’t get Moultonborough email blast, please let them know about the change, and encourage them to please come the 29th to vote against this colossal waste of taxpayer money.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #12
Shipfitter

I see all the snowflakes are melting over on the blog
Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Might have to be postponed again.

Stay tuned, everyone. It’s possible that there might have to be another delay. I will report anything we find out.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
Lakegeezer

Default Nefarious forces at play

Seems like the practice of voter manipulation is going strong. Don't like it outside on a June day, forecast to be in the mid-80's? File a law suit. Instead, let's have it indoors at 4PM on a Monday. Moultonboro hasn't had many cases and perhaps this will fix that. Those trying to avoid large indoor crowds will be sure to stay at home and those with a job can stay away too. How many super-spreaders exercising their liberty to not wear a mask will be at the meeting? People that use voter suppression techniques disgust me. Is it too late to sneak a SB2 question on the ballot?
Old 06-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #15
longislander

Quote:
Due to threat of pending litigation, I will have to postpone town meeting once again. The new date will be Monday June 29th 2020 at 4pm at Moultonborough Academy.

Litigation is probably not the correct word. It would presume a contest between individuals, outcome to be determined by a judge or jury.

"Legal action" might be more appropriate.

Example might be an ex parte order, like a restraining order ... to not hold a meeting because of ...

Legal dictionary:
Ex parte: Latin meaning "for one party," referring to motions, hearings or orders granted on the request of and for the benefit of one party only. ... Ex parte matters are usually temporary orders (like a restraining order or temporary custody) pending a formal hearing.

No need for a hearing, the meeting date and time were changed.

I'm wondering if the 4:00pm meeting at Moultonborough Academy on the 29th is inside. Nothing stated. Maybe it will be on the outside Moultonborough Academy school property, called for in article 6! Jesting a bit. Maybe not!

I didn't attend the meeting at the fairgrounds today, but did hear about the possibility of another legal action. If it's from the same source, it will fail, and do not believe, now, it will even be attempted.

I'm all for SB2, especially now that the law changed last year, and now must be voted in, at town meeting instead of the official ballot (so-called Australian ballot). Couldn't be done for this meeting. Warrant is out and publicized. No changes that affect intent of the article.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #16
TheProfessor

Taken from Moultonboro Speaks

"ERIC TAUSSIG, MARLENE TAUSSIG, AND OTHER MOULTONBOROUGH REGISTERED VOTERS, PETITIONERS
v.
PAUL PUNTURIERI, MODERATOR, TOWN OF MOULTONBOROUGH, RESPONDENT"

Have no idea what any of this means. Do not know any of the involved.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
longislander

See today's Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...4a869c61d.html
Old 06-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
phoenix

So what happened last night
Old 06-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
longislander

Neither article, 5 nor 6, passed the 2/3rds majority vote needed.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #20
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
So what happened last night
So.....Phoenix.....we missed you! We needed your votes. We killed almost 5 hours there before leaving, exhausted but happy that art. 6 was defeated.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #21
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Oops, I think...

Phoenix, I apologize for scolding you for not attending the town meeting. I think you are probably one of our beloved non- resident taxpayers....and the attitude of some in town who routinely try to stick it to the waterfront and non-resident taxpayers makes me crazy! The demands are relentless....what is provided by the taxpayers is never enough. Sickening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (07-01-2020), tummyman (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #22
phoenix

Correct i am not allowed to vote but glad it was defeated. Maybe at some point the selectmen will bring a reasonable proposal forward that might gain broad support
Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #23
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Correct i am not allowed to vote but glad it was defeated. Maybe at some point the selectmen will bring a reasonable proposal forward that might gain broad support
Article 5 called for renovation/addition to the former Lions Club building on Old 109. That plan made sense to many, especially senior citizens, who saw the need and could swallow the $3 million. That article also didn’t pass. Stay tuned...in March 2021, we’ll have a rerun of Groundhog Day.... this goes on year after year ad nauseum.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Article 5 called for renovation/addition to the former Lions Club building on Old 109. That plan made sense to many, especially senior citizens, who saw the need and could swallow the $3 million. That article also didn’t pass. Stay tuned...in March 2021, we’ll have a rerun of Groundhog Day.... this goes on year after year ad nauseum.
I gotta think people see the economy getting crushed and are voting down anything immediately needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #25
Susie Cougar

Are they still using the Lions Club building?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Are they still using the Lions Club building?
Yes, and it needs a facelift....actually more than a facelift, but $3 million is a lot more palatable than $6.7 with no real plans, other than knowing it would be more than the $6.7.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #27
Susie Cougar

Why do you think they voted it down? If the Lions Club is in need of more than just a facelift, what is the objection?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
jbolty

Quote:
Yes, and it needs a facelift....actually more than a facelift, but $3 million is a lot more palatable than $6.7 with no real plans, other than knowing it would be more than the $6.7.
how does it cost $3m to renovate a 50x100 building?
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #29
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Hmmmm...not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
how does it cost $3m to renovate a 50x100 building?
That price might be a tear down...this has been hashed and rehashed and regurgitated so many times that it’s hard to keep track. The location is preferable to the seniors because traffic is not a problem there as it would be abutting the school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #30
DesertDweller

As I recall, a big part of the issues with that building are septic related.

Last edited by DesertDweller; 07-01-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #31
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
As I recall, a bit part of the issues with that building are septic related.
I had forgotten that, but my husband reminded me about the wetlands on that property. Years ago, when the rec. dept. wanted a new building there,
Joanne Coppinger, a civil engineer, was able to design a septic system that would work on that site.
Also, any new building or renovations would require ADA compliant bathrooms, which the current building lacks.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #32
phoenix

I suspect the big 7m article scares off people so vote no across the board. I blame selectmen . Only offer a well thought out 2-3m senior center and i bet it will pass
Old 07-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
I suspect the big 7m article scares off people so vote no across the board. I blame selectmen . Only offer a well thought out 2-3m senior center and i bet it will pass
I have to disagree about the fault being with the Selectboard. They have tried several times to put something reasonable together, but it always gets shot down because the very vocal group of parents of school aged children want something much more grandiose with a huge ticket price. They will settle for nothing less.....and this goes on without fail every year! I haven’t kept score, but I would say this saga goes back 10-12 years. Exhausting stuff!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #34
Susie Cougar

Yes, I can remember many years ago this being discussed. I’m not sure why they can’t come up with a plan that can be voted through.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Doesn't the school have a gym? Why do they need a big rec hall?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
jbolty (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Doesn't the school have a gym? Why do they need a big rec hall?
We don’t think they do, and that’s why the old fogies, a group to which I belong, vote it down year after year. These people don’t care about the cost, and of course the initial cost of construction is just the beginning. This painful issue has torn the town apart...and it’s truly emotionally exhausting. Makes me sad yet disgusted at the same time.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #37
jbolty

Quote:
We don’t think they do, and that’s why the old fogies, a group to which I belong, vote it down year after year. These people don’t care about the cost, and of course the initial cost of construction is just the beginning. This painful issue has torn the town apart...and it’s truly emotionally exhausting. Makes me sad yet disgusted at the same time.
Me, and everyone I know was able to grow up in moultonboro without a rec center and we didn't even have cell phones, internet or cable tv. I know times change but the population has gone up since then maybe 4 times and the number of town employees has gone up by about 20x. enough.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #38
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Me, and everyone I know was able to grow up in moultonboro without a rec center and we didn't even have cell phones, internet or cable tv. I know times change but the population has gone up since then maybe 4 times and the number of town employees has gone up by about 20x. enough.
My sister has lived in Moultonborough forever. Both of my nieces went through Moultonborough schools and graduated. I never heard anybody complain that they were lacking anything at the school.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #39
tis

None of the towns are any different. They are spend crazy. They don't know the difference between need and want.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #40
Sue Doe-Nym

Oh, by the way, I believe that we are paying around $30k per student attending Moultonborough schools.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #41
ARV

Lightbulb Something for everyone

It’s been interesting to watch the conversation going on here post town meeting. What I find most interesting is the notion that a community center would be “for the kids”. I will also add that I can definitely see both sides of this coin. The town currently owns both properties. At some point, I’m sure the idea was to do something with them.

Some interesting facts:
Did you know that if we had a community center, there would be more programs for everyone, young and old?

Did you know that most people seeking recreation (walking, exercise, socialization, clubs, kids programs) are currently paying money in other towns to participate in these kinds of activities? (This also has an effect on people moving to other towns because they do offer those programs)

Did you know that because of all the grants and pledged donations, the tax rate would only be impacted by ~ .14/$1000?

Did you know that the town would be able to make revenue from a community center, which would further benefit all of us?

Did you know that there isn’t enough room to hold Rec department Programs because the space is being utilized by the school?

I know the discussion will start to quiet down, now that town meeting is over. I am wholeheartedly interested in knowing the opposition to this. Why not have a community center?
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #42
phoenix

Sue if i remember the select board voted 5-0 for the 7 million article
Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #43
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Arv: I have no skin in the game but after you posted that you could see both sides the remaining 95% of your post was to support the idea of a rec center. Interesting that there wasn't one sentence supporting the other sides position that it is not needed. Just an observation.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #44
ARV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Arv: I have no skin in the game but after you posted that you could see both sides the remaining 95% of your post was to support the idea of a rec center. Interesting that there wasn't one sentence supporting the other sides position that it is not needed. Just an observation.
I appreciate the comment! I do understand where the oppositional side is coming from, for reasons previously stated although I support the community center. I hope that makes sense!
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #45
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Sue if i remember the select board voted 5-0 for the 7 million article
I think they were split on the initial vote. However, when the pandemic hit and businesses had to close down, most re-evaluated spending. As an aside, at Monday night’s meeting, several items in the town budget were amended to much lower figures, and these amendments were put up by various members of the Selectboard.

As for ARV’s questions about a community center, most of the seniors who attended are for it...that was art. 5, but it was defeated. Many of us are perfectly fine with a community center at a reasonable cost ($3 million). The younger set won’t accept that.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #46
jbolty

not everything that's a good idea has to be done at government expense.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:58 AM   #47
loonguy

I agree with ARV that the Rec Center is a good idea and the minimal incremental tax cost is justified, but it appears that this might never be approved by the voters. Has the Town explored funding the center with charitable contributions, perhaps with naming rights to the center, gym, food kitchen, etc. tied to major contributions? I am not personally into naming rights or the related major contributions, but would be willing to make a charitable contribution otherwise. This could be an opportunity for Sue Doe-Nym to use her real name!
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #48
Shipfitter

Default I think we all agree

The way I see it is one side of the community wants a senior center with room for meals on wheels. This could also be used as a function hall. This side of the community has also stated that the preferred location is the old lions club property. A walking track for winter use and pickle ball courts Is also on their wish list and I don’t believe that has to be at the lions club. The others side of the community wants a recreation complex that has to be walking distance to the school. So why don’t we do both. 3.5 million apiece.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 AM   #49
Shipfitter

Default I think we all agree

The way I see it is one side of the community wants a senior center with room for meals on wheels. This could also be used as a function hall. This side of the community has also stated that the preferred location is the old lions club property. A walking track for winter use and pickle ball courts Is also on their wish list and I don’t believe that has to be at the lions club. The others side of the community wants a recreation complex that has to be walking distance to the school. So why don’t we do both. 3.5 million apiece.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #50
Susie Cougar

If I remember correctly, hasn’t there been a lot of disagreement over the $6.7 million price tag? Didn’t someone mention that Fryeburg Maine was building a rec center very similar to the one that Moultonborough had proposed but at a much lower cost? Did anyone look into this further? It seems to me there are many issues as to why the town is not able to move forward.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #51
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
I agree with ARV that the Rec Center is a good idea and the minimal incremental tax cost is justified, but it appears that this might never be approved by the voters. Has the Town explored funding the center with charitable contributions, perhaps with naming rights to the center, gym, food kitchen, etc. tied to major contributions? I am not personally into naming rights or the related major contributions, but would be willing to make a charitable contribution otherwise. This could be an opportunity for Sue Doe-Nym to use her real name!
It’s funny to me that I don’t know the real identities of most everyone on the forum. I keep waiting to be surprised to learn that one of you is someone that I have known in the past.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #52
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Ah, the days of yore...

Quote:
It’s funny to me that I don’t know the real identities of most everyone on the forum. I keep waiting to be surprised to learn that one of you is someone that I have known in the past.
Ah the days of you're. Eight years ago, and longer, we had a Forum Fest each year at a particular location, pot luck meals usually, and lasted for most of an afternoon, usually on a Saturday afternoon. It was a chance to meet the face behind the User Name, and in some cases form a friendship that it lasted the Forum Fests.

Some of the years there were raffles, like a penny sale, with the money going to a local charity or non-profit (Loon Society one year).

Unfortunate that as with many good endeavors, the planning and work fell on only a few shoulders, and with no one else willing to step up to help, the gathering fell by the wayside.

Look at the index of forums on this site, on a full site view, and near the bottom of this list is "Forum Fests". Take the time to view, interesting read.

Back to the town meeting.

Dave
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #53
Susie Cougar

Thanks, Dave.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #54
tis

Quote:
I was very surprised to discover that up had signed my yearbook.

As far as the Forum Fests, I never made it to one but I followed them. I think they got to be too much work. At first it was a simple drop by and say hi and bring a pot luck or something if you feel like it. Then it got complicated and somebody had to do an awful lot of work to organize them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-02-2020), webmaster (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #55
tummyman

While this has been just recently brought up to the BOS, there is a VERY FINE building currently available at 130 Whittier Highway...the old Keepsake Quilting headquarters. Go to Roche Realty Commercial properties and see the pictures. Link is below....

https://rocherealty.com//mls-4796817...-NH-03254.html

All for $1.65M plus some renovation costs. Bet for a small $2.0M we could be in the building by next April if Town Meeting would approve. There will need to be a little more parking added to the approx. 65 spaces currently there, but this building is really ready to go. Even has high bays that could handle sports activities. But then again, nobody here has any creativity. Town could work on a short term lease with option to buy if TM approves. And with some $$$ donations, costs would be less than $2M for a top notch facility. Nobody here can compromise on anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why????? I am sure you will all hear about the folks that say why it cannot happen, but we need to move forward. Are there no reasonable people left???? Time for folks to buck up, as we have not made any headway on prior ideas.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #56
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
While this has been just recently brought up to the BOS, there is a VERY FINE building currently available at 130 Whittier Highway...the old Keepsake Quilting headquarters. Go to Roche Realty Commercial properties and see the pictures. Link is below....

https://rocherealty.com//mls-4796817...-NH-03254.html

All for $1.65M plus some renovation costs. Bet for a small $2.0M we could be in the building by next April if Town Meeting would approve. There will need to be a little more parking added to the approx. 65 spaces currently there, but this building is really ready to go. Even has high bays that could handle sports activities. But then again, nobody here has any creativity. Town could work on a short term lease with option to buy if TM approves. And with some $$$ donations, costs would be less than $2M for a top notch facility. Nobody here can compromise on anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why????? I am sure you will all hear about the folks that say why it cannot happen, but we need to move forward. Are there no reasonable people left???? Time for folks to buck up, as we have not made any headway on prior ideas.
That certainly merits investigation. Trouble is that the school parents want a fancy schmancy building adjacent to the academy. They will settle for that or nothing, and so far that’s what they have achieved: NOTHING! Year after year: same old, same old. Very tiresome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
tummyman (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #57
Susie Cougar

It’s a good location for sure. I think most people that live in Moultonborough go to Center Harbor and Meredith. It would be very convenient for the seniors but they would not be happy because it is on busy route 25. It’s too bad it could not be accessed from Lake Shore Drive.
Then, of course, that’s only half the issue. If they still need some kind of a rec center for the students, it needs to be at the school.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #58
TheProfessor

Quote:
Article 5 called for renovation/addition to the former Lions Club building on Old 109. That plan made sense to many, especially senior citizens.
Not quite.

At the last Charette Meeting in Moultonborough, the regional director of Meals on Wheels was totally and completely against this. She spoke at that Charrette meeting. That ladies comments seem to have been placed into the dust bin of comments.

Note that the kitchen in the Lions Club building was upgraded a few years ago to the tune of $40,000. The proposed renovations would have dismantled that new kitchen.

I wonder if most/many of the seniors that utilize the Meals on Wheels sit down meal were just plain satisfied with what is there now.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #59
Cal-to-NH

Default The need

I have watched this for some years. Hopefully I can be balanced on this....

Yes, the Lions club has inadequate bathrooms/septic, roof, windows and kitchen. The building is (obviously) not ADA compliant. The parking lot is not near large enough. At the same time, they serve over 30,000 much needed meals per year, host numerous town events, etc... I think the big issue is why the $1.5M Lions club renovation and $3.5M rec center at the Taylor property turned into a nearly $7M all-in-one site.

As far as the kids, it's a red herring according to the Recreaion Dept head herself.. The Rec Director herself was at town meeting and said that you wouldn't build a rec center for the kids. They have a Gym at the Middle school and High School. The biggest Rec activities for kids are outdoor sports like Soccer and Baseball.Softball, etc....

That's not to say there won't be kids activities - there undoubtedly will, but I think the building would be used mostly for more mature residents during school hours.

The issue is the same every time we look at this. Since we don't have adequate facilities in the first place, usage information, etc... we have no idea what the use of such a facility might be. We simply don't have a baseline to go from. Let's face it, like most places on the Lake our average resident age grows with each census - we are a retirement resort community up here. Would it be highly used or a red-herring? THAT is the question that is very very hard to answer (nobody knows). Because of that, both sides have to admit one thing. We can't demonstrate need for such a facility using any available information. That leaves it up to the resident to decide - would I use it or not? And what about my neighbor, would they? People have their own ideas. There will always be the "people of no" on anything that increases their taxes, and that's fine. I would like to think that most people are prepared to fund it if it will be used. But simply put, nobody can know this.

Most people are nervous about such an expense without some idea of how much it will be used... And that I can respect.

One thing that's true. For each year we wait the construction costs will increase. Some estimate that since year 2000 construction costs have gone up an average of 3% per year. So that means next year the same project will cost $150,000 more. The only thing that fluctuates is interest rates, and they likely will never be lower than now. So in the end, if we DO decide to do this thing, then we should do it sooner than later. I don't like spending money, but I REALLY don't like spending money when I could have spent it 3 years ago for the same thing and saved hundreds of thousands of dollars....

I have no issue with either side on this Rec Center - it's a hard one. I do agree in the end that the Lions Club is kind of a slam-dunk. We know what it does and we know its importance to the people here. Its impact is great. It's impact is also quantifiable (unlike the Rec Center). And the cost of fixing it is FAR lower. The more that it is coupled to the Rec Center as the same project, the more it suffers.
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post:
mishman (07-03-2020), Trail Goer (07-06-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #60
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Not quite.

At the last Charette Meeting in Moultonborough, the regional director of Meals on Wheels was totally and completely against this. She spoke at that Charrette meeting. That ladies comments seem to have been placed into the dust bin of comments.

Note that the kitchen in the Lions Club building was upgraded a few years ago to the tune of $40,000. The proposed renovations would have dismantled that new kitchen.

I wonder if most/many of the seniors that utilize the Meals on Wheels sit down meal were just plain satisfied with what is there now.
I can’t speak for all the seniors, but it appears that the ones who care enough to come out to vote do want a new or renovated community center. To generalize, the art. 5 vote would have passed had it not required a 2/3 majority. We left after the vote, but before the Art.5 results were known. As for art. 6, the vote was approximately 47 short of the requisite 2/3. Please don’t hold me to exact numbers...it’s what I recall and I think it’s pretty close.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #61
longislander

Article 6, a $6.72 million project, received a vote of 253 in favor and 237 against.

Article 5, received a vote of 158 in favor and 153 against. It called for building a $3 million community center

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...8c93413d6.html
Sue Doe-Nym (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #62
phoenix

Interesting to see 200 plus more Total voting on 6 vs 5. Did they chose out of order and people left ?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #63
longislander

2nd email I sent to the select Board:

"I should have added"...or as otherwise determined by the voters at the meeting" from the statute, when I read the statute at town meeting, after the push to place article 6 in front of 5. This is what the article 6 promoters were pushing at the CDAC presentation. Like it really makes a difference with the same 2/3rds requirement. All it did was instill more conspiracy theory.

Couldn't believe the statement "if both articles passed" ... in what world! Not the same items and locations.
Same 2/3rds majority ... and the legal beagles thought MoBo is dumb enough to pass both of them!

If the town wants and votes both ,whatevers ... sue anybody, including state officials, if they get in the way. Let the NH Supreme Court decide what a town can do with its money."

First email:

"Would the select board ask town counsel what is meant in:

" RSA 33:8-a Procedure for Authorizing Bonds or Notes in Excess of $100,000. –
II. All articles appearing in the warrant which propose a bond or note issue exceeding $100,000 shall appear in consecutive numerical order and shall be acted upon prior...

Is "numerical" referencing the sequence on warrant articles, like 2020 articles 5 & 6 ... or the dollar value, $3 million , $6.7 million .

Here's a Feb. 2020 moderator teaching tool "for experienced moderators" from the NHMA.

" Articles must appear on warrant in order of the amount proposed, highest to lowest" (page 12)
https://www.nhmunicipal.org/sites/de...p_advanced.pdf

Also, same teaching tool: (page 13)
"After a majority of voters have voted on the First Bond Article, the moderator could then begin discussion on the Second Bond Article, announcing that while discussion proceeds on the Second Bond Article, ballots on the First Bond Article will be accepted for not less than one hour.The same would be true for voting on the Second Bond Article and discussion and voting on the Third Bond Article."

The tool mentions SB2 at the top of the first page but the statutes may be for traditional town meetings as well.
Or start looking for new counsel or NHMA advice."

It had been suggested to the BoS and moderator that discussions for both 5&6 occur before balloting and thereby have the mandatory one hour open ballot rule overlap. It would have reduced the hours we spent between waiting for the vote on 6 before starting 5.

Yes it is legal, and mentioned by the NHMA Chief Counsel.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #64
longislander

Also sent this to the Select Board:

"Anybody else notice the difference in the number of votes between articles 5 & 6 or should I say 6 & 5?

Reported in The Laconia Sun, July 1:
Article 6, received a vote of 253 in favor and 237 against. Total votes: 490
Article 5, received a vote of 158 in favor and 153 against. Total votes: 311

A reduction of 179 votes; a 36% reduction in votes. The town speaks, once a year, and influenced by who/what?

Article 5 was balloted after article 6, thanks to counsel, because, maybe, both articles could pass ... fat chance!

From the blog, above:
"On the advice of town counsel, voting on the two bond articles should not be held simultaneously. Unless the order of the bonds is changed by the voters, we will discuss article 5 and when completed discuss article 6."

With the time difference between the votes, were there any other article votes affected? "
Old 07-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #65
2thelakewego

Default Confused

Hello. My husband and I would very much like to retire to Moultonborough in the near future. We are in our mid-60s. We are staying with friends in town and they love it and we want to be close to them and like the low tax rate.

I have been reading a lot about Moultonborough for the past year and following this Community Center issue here and also through our family. I have read posts and letters about both Article projects. From what I have read, and heard about the larger project ($6.7M) besides it costing more, (it is a larger building), I am unclear why people object to it. The smaller project seems to be just a new function hall.

Our friends brought home a booklet from town meeting about Article 6 with an FAQ document with links to other documents. There was a link to a study of the building site so I looked at it. To me, from reading the study, it looks like that property was okayed by an engineer to build on. And it looks like now there is already a road to access it.

The FAQs also mention that traffic was looked at on the DOT website and the number of cars are not different than the cars down closer to the roads that lead to the other building.

I exercise regularly at home now and would think for people of our age and older, having somewhere indoors to walk and take classes (if they are offered) during the day would be a good thing, especially in the long winters. In the booklet there was an article from the Conway Daily Sun about how important senior recreation is. Personally I agree, and I would like to see my husband exercise more.

Also, I was told that the person who talked about Article 6 at Town Meeting said that the cruise company on Rte 25 had pledged $15,000 and the water bottling company in town had pledged $10,000 to the project and a local furniture store had said they would discount furniture for the project. That sounds good.

The tax part seemed low, which I believe someone mentioned here on this discussion is $.14/$1000 so if my husband and I bought a $350,000 house (which is the range we are going to look in) it would be $49 per year? Also, someone here mentioned interest rates are very low, which is true.

It know this has been going on for a while and I am late to the party, but can someone explain what is the down side to the larger project if it fixes the issues with the older building so everything for the Seniors is there, and has the offices, and a gym which can be used during the day?
2thelakewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #66
mishman

Default Why 200 less voting on Article 5? no brainer

There were far less people voting on article 5 because the vote came late - literally 2 plus hours after the start of the meeting. Many of us did not feel comfortable being inside (mask and all) for that length of time. Some were outside at the beginning but the rain drove them to their cars or home. The town did their best on communications among the various locations but it was a long way from ideal - with sound cutting off regularly and confusion about what ballot to use for voting. In short, it was a less than ideal situation all around.

I agree with previous comments on several issues:

1. As someone who has been a town resident for only six years, my view is that town officials (employees and selectmen) are not as open to public participation as the town that I came from (where public input was welcomed, encouraged and listened to). Unscientifically, I feel this is part of the problem with the factions in town and with town leadership. The lack of public participation (and/or the inability or unwillingness to listen to public input -town charette and previous votes are examples) is at the heart of our town's problem. Few residents want to be in a middle ground/compromise position.
2. The town seems to operate in silos or fiefdoms. With decreasing enrollment in our schools, one would think we could find some compromise on availability of the current gyms for recreational use of children during summer and after school. When the adult pickle ball group wanted to explore the availability of the high school or grade school gym in the winter time, it was a flat no. There was no willingness to compromise or even discuss this creative option. Instead, they were relegated to the old gym/cafeteria and it was a grudging allowance at best.
Another example, the town library sale is an enormously popular even each Fourth of July weekend and raises significant dollars for the library. The biggest expense? Renting several large tents. Meanwhile the public safety garage housing fire trucks and emergency vehicles is 150 yards away. Why couldn't the trucks relocate or stay outside in a suitable location for three days and allow this large space to be used for the library sale? The answer I got (informally) was public safety would not allow this use. In the town I came from, the fire trucks were relocated several times a year so the space could be used for town events and fundraisers. My point is it is the unwillingness to think creatively to save money and use facilities efficiently. (and I also think for some residents just believe the town taxpayers can afford it, why not just build it.)
3. The town meeting process was a fiasco this year - largely due to Covid but also poor communication and haphazard decision making. If the town is to ever come together, we need to find a way to reach compromise that benefits all of us - to some degree. And the town leaders need to be much more open to listening to residents - all residents and invite them into the process to solve problems.

That's my two cents and probably what my thoughts are worth!
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #67
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thelakewego View Post
Hello. My husband and I would very much like to retire to Moultonborough in the near future. We are in our mid-60s. We are staying with friends in town and they love it and we want to be close to them and like the low tax rate.

I have been reading a lot about Moultonborough for the past year and following this Community Center issue here and also through our family. I have read posts and letters about both Article projects. From what I have read, and heard about the larger project ($6.7M) besides it costing more, (it is a larger building), I am unclear why people object to it. The smaller project seems to be just a new function hall.

Our friends brought home a booklet from town meeting about Article 6 with an FAQ document with links to other documents. There was a link to a study of the building site so I looked at it. To me, from reading the study, it looks like that property was okayed by an engineer to build on. And it looks like now there is already a road to access it.

The FAQs also mention that traffic was looked at on the DOT website and the number of cars are not different than the cars down closer to the roads that lead to the other building.

I exercise regularly at home now and would think for people of our age and older, having somewhere indoors to walk and take classes (if they are offered) during the day would be a good thing, especially in the long winters. In the booklet there was an article from the Conway Daily Sun about how important senior recreation is. Personally I agree, and I would like to see my husband exercise more.

Also, I was told that the person who talked about Article 6 at Town Meeting said that the cruise company on Rte 25 had pledged $15,000 and the water bottling company in town had pledged $10,000 to the project and a local furniture store had said they would discount furniture for the project. That sounds good.

The tax part seemed low, which I believe someone mentioned here on this discussion is $.14/$1000 so if my husband and I bought a $350,000 house (which is the range we are going to look in) it would be $49 per year? Also, someone here mentioned interest rates are very low, which is true.

It know this has been going on for a while and I am late to the party, but can someone explain what is the down side to the larger project if it fixes the issues with the older building so everything for the Seniors is there, and has the offices, and a gym which can be used during the day?
Welcome to the Forum.

In reading your note, there are some thing needing some clarification. First, the .14/$1000 is the mil rate per $1000 of property valuation. It has absolutely nothing to do with any mortgage financing. So not valid for any mortgage repayment calculation.

Second, the data from the DOT web site may not have been correctly interpreted. Traffic data on the NHDOT web site for 2016...the last year they posted information...traffic counts at RT25 east of Sheridan Road were 11,000. Traffic count on Old RT 109 was never measured. But traffic counts at RT109 south of Bodge Hill Rd. were 4,500. Nowhere does the DOT even mention Old RT109 traffic. It is false to try to equate traffic on RT25 and Old RT 109. However, when you look at traffic counts on RT109 in general, they are less than half of the volumes of RT25.

The "road" is not an access road. It is an emergency road for the Academy in case of a significant incident.

As far as I know, except for a couple of shallow test borings on the site, no other detailed engineering site evaluation has occurred, including ground water, drainage, traffic studies, excavation/foundation issues, etc.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #68
longislander

Tummyman is correct. The "road" is an emergency road for police and fire dept. use, only. It came about when the school dept. got nervous about only one entrance/egress at the time of the school shootings. The school board had to get on the select board 's case to act. It is on town property not school district property. Please, I know we are the same tax payers.

No site survey has been done, and the $100,000 to begin to do so, regardless of article 6 passing, was motioned to change to zero dollars, in place of the $100,000. It passed.

Article 6 included "acquiring" some school district property. That has to be approved at the school district meeting, not the town meeting by the voters; same voters as the annual town meeting, but separate legal entity (school version of town meeting).

It should be noted that neither article 5 nor 6 define a building. They both only seek, money for "the design, engineering, construction ..." for a community center.

There's been argument since day one on what to build. The select board tried to get something done and have proposed drawings (attached).

Look at the drawing for a gym and then Google "structural steel gyms". Compare these pre-engineered buildings with a contract price.

Plans etc.
https://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/maj...mmunity-center
Old 07-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #69
Susie Cougar

Quote:

I’m trying to figure out what is most important to you. First, I am wondering where you are moving from. If you have not spent a winter in New Hampshire, it may be different than what you expect. I would certainly try to visit for a couple of weeks in the dead of winter to see how it feels.
You ask about the costs of many things.
You should probably expect to pay about $2500 to $3000 a year in taxes on a home worth about $350,000.
You asked about the lower mortgage rates as well, but I’m assuming that you own a home in your present location. Unless you’re moving from someplace extremely inexpensive, I don’t think you will have a problem financially.

If you’re hoping that the community center will be finished anytime soon so that you can use that for indoor exercise, I think you’re still in for a very long wait. There are too many things that no one can agree on.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #70
longislander

Moultonborough present tax rate per thousand assessment (not market value):

Town:2.18
County:1.10
School:1.91
State Ed.:1.96

Total:7.15

One of the lowest in the state.

Town re-evaluates assessment at 20 % of properties per year. So, after 5 years the town assessments have been adjusted to so-called market value for the whole town.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:03 AM   #71
phoenix

Did anyone also project the annual operating cost of the 7m project which will not be capitalized but expensed yearly
Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #72
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Did anyone also project the annual operating cost of the 7m project which will not be capitalized but expensed yearly
That is a topic that seems to be taboo, and you’re apt to receive a “hairy eyeball” when that’s brought up....maintenance, staffing, utilities, etc....
just trivial expenses. I’m sure that some have taken a stab at it, but we haven’t seen any estimates....and those are important numbers, for sure.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #73
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
That is a topic that seems to be taboo, and you’re apt to receive a “hairy eyeball” when that’s brought up....maintenance, staffing, utilities, etc....
just trivial expenses. I’m sure that some have taken a stab at it, but we haven’t seen any estimates....and those are important numbers, for sure.
LOL you go that right, nobody wants to talk about it and I'm sure those pushing this don't either. You can be assured that if the total costs were put out there support for this would drop considerably.

How about doing an amortization of servicing 7M in debt while we're at it? Should come out to at least twice the initial cost. So now you're looking at 14M including interest before you start getting into the operating and carrying costs. For something that is not remotely critical to the town.

Another epic failure of an idea that no doubt will eventually pass, just a matter of time.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #74
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Financial information for rec. center

This morning, I reached out to 2 of our town financial gurus, and received a full report from January, 2016....very complete and informative. The committee charged with the project came up with annual expenses of $162,000. If I could figure out how to get this to anyone interested, I would be happy to send the attachment.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #75
ITD

Quote:
This morning, I reached out to 2 of our town financial gurus, and received a full report from January, 2016....very complete and informative. The committee charged with the project came up with annual expenses of $162,000. If I could figure out how to get this to anyone interested, I would be happy to send the attachment.
That will just about cover the heat and utilities.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #76
phoenix

That seems incredibly low. The facility if used needs to be manned whenever it is open. Maintenance , trash, heat , lights and other support
Old 07-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #77
TheProfessor

Quote:
Hello. My husband and I

From what I have read, and heard about the larger project ($6.7M) besides it costing more, (it is a larger building), I am unclear why people object to it. The smaller project seems to be just a new function hall.
Some moving to Moultonborough may be millionaires. Some may have earned a very large salary. Some my be silver spoon babies who inherited lots of money. Others sell their 30 - 40 year old homes in NY, CT, NJ, MA - and make a huge profit.

For the locals here. Taxes are an important subject. Some live on pensions, some with Social Security, some have savings. Taxes may be "lower" in Moultonborough - but they are taxes just the same.

Politically, some think of "small" government. That the government should not be in the entertainment or recreation business.

Some think that the entertainment or recreation should be done by private enterprise. Not the government.

Some think that the two newer schools have enough gymnasiums and multi-purpose rooms already that are under utilized. Count them. There are plenty existing right now. Underutilized.

One of the camps on Long Island have a beautiful newer gymnasium that is under utilized and could be used by the town with a little financial help. Or rent.

There is a huge new gymnasium complex on Route 25B that is for sale right now. But that one is just over the line in Center Harbor. A strikingly beautiful complex that is empty and for sale.

The Town of Moultonborough has already purchased two vans that just sit at the town complex mostly underutilized.

Others do not mention the proposed sidewalk with traffic light costs associated with any complex. Those costs are "hidden".

Also hidden is the staffing and maintenance costs of any complex.

The Recreation Complex in Meredith although "new" is now needing expensive upgrades and repairs. A cost that is never mentioned.

These recreation complexes or gymnasiums or refurbishing have been on the town ballot for 9 years and have been voted down 9 times in 9 years. Down.

Yet each year this small cabal of folks keep asking for some massive complex and by doing so cause disharmony in the town.

The purchase of the former Lions Club property was a "bag" job done by the former superintendent of schools. No soil studies were ever done and the land proved to be mostly swampy and not buildable. A "con" job done by a town employee.

Maybe it is time for those who wish that this local government to extinguish this constant town turmoil and cease any warrant articles to construct a Taj Mahal complex. Paid for by a sizeable property tax increase for the next 20 years and longer if staffing and maintenance is thrown in. Never mind the increased costs of providing sidewalks and street lights as proposed by some.

There is plenty of recreation that already exists in the Lakes Region. No need to construct new taxpayer paid and expensive monuments for the few who dream of a utopia.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (07-11-2020), jbolty (07-05-2020), MAXUM (07-06-2020), olde nh (07-07-2020), phoenix (07-05-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (07-05-2020), Top-Water (07-05-2020), tummyman (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #78
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Some moving to Moultonborough may be millionaires. Some may have earned a very large salary. Some my be silver spoon babies who inherited lots of money. Others sell their 30 - 40 year old homes in NY, CT, NJ, MA - and make a huge profit.

For the locals here. Taxes are an important subject. Some live on pensions, some with Social Security, some have savings. Taxes may be "lower" in Moultonborough - but they are taxes just the same.

Politically, some think of "small" government. That the government should not be in the entertainment or recreation business.

Some think that the entertainment or recreation should be done by private enterprise. Not the government.

Some think that the two newer schools have enough gymnasiums and multi-purpose rooms already that are under utilized. Count them. There are plenty existing right now. Underutilized.

One of the camps on Long Island have a beautiful newer gymnasium that is under utilized and could be used by the town with a little financial help. Or rent.

There is a huge new gymnasium complex on Route 25B that is for sale right now. But that one is just over the line in Center Harbor. A strikingly beautiful complex that is empty and for sale.

The Town of Moultonborough has already purchased two vans that just sit at the town complex mostly underutilized.

Others do not mention the proposed sidewalk with traffic light costs associated with any complex. Those costs are "hidden".

Also hidden is the staffing and maintenance costs of any complex.

The Recreation Complex in Meredith although "new" is now needing expensive upgrades and repairs. A cost that is never mentioned.

These recreation complexes or gymnasiums or refurbishing have been on the town ballot for 9 years and have been voted down 9 times in 9 years. Down.

Yet each year this small cabal of folks keep asking for some massive complex and by doing so cause disharmony in the town.

The purchase of the former Lions Club property was a "bag" job done by the former superintendent of schools. No soil studies were ever done and the land proved to be mostly swampy and not buildable. A "con" job done by a town employee.

Maybe it is time for those who wish that this local government to extinguish this constant town turmoil and cease any warrant articles to construct a Taj Mahal complex. Paid for by a sizeable property tax increase for the next 20 years and longer if staffing and maintenance is thrown in. Never mind the increased costs of providing sidewalks and street lights as proposed by some.

There is plenty of recreation that already exists in the Lakes Region. No need to construct new taxpayer paid and expensive monuments for the few who dream of a utopia.
Bravo, Professor! Well said. You speak for many of us.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #79
FlyingScot

Great piece, Professor!

The only economic aspect you did not mention is that the locals have the opportunity to shift the lion's share of the cost onto part-timers who own waterfront property. I don't know the numbers, but isn't it something like 70% of the tax base in on the lake?

I'm not saying this is fair or right, only that it's an important part of the calculation. On a personal basis, it's to your credit that you do not want to "soak the rich". But if I were a local, I might think my friends and I could have 100% of a rec center, while only paying for 30%(?) of it.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #80
jbolty

Personally I would rather have no rec center at zero percent. People and governments all go broke with "nice to haves" How many ads do you see for "all new furniture for less than a cup of coffee per day" One of my co workers was complaining about saving for a house. I pointed out she was spending $600/month on coffee. After adding it up for her and her husband she was horrified to see I was right. I make coffee at home.

We all need to learn the power of the word, no.

when I was a teen the town had about 1500 people. That amount is up by about 4x but the amount of town employees is up by about 20x. when do we have enough and who's quality of life is improved by a bunch of extra hands looking for stuff to spend money on justify their employment.

I remember a couple years ago everyone was heated up over building pointless sidewalk from the old country store to the gas station.

People used to move to a small town for the lifestyle but then of course a large percent then want to re-create what ever they left behind,
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-06-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (07-05-2020), tis (07-06-2020), Top-Water (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #81
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Where are the results of voting?

One week after Town Meeting, and the results of the voting have not been posted on the town website, yet the moderator has posted them on his private blog, Moultonboro Speaks. It’s very strange that the Town Administrator hasn’t found the time to see that this is done...after all, it’s one of his functions..
Old 07-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #82
longislander

Quote:
It’s very strange that the Town Administrator hasn’t found the time to see that this is done...after all, it’s one of his functions..
The town administrator may be waiting for the town clerk to issue the official minutes of the meeting (not TA responsibility) before posting the official tally on the town website.

The town clerk will be listening to, and reviewing the video of town meeting to publish the the town meeting minutes, and record thereof. How long ... couple of weeks?

Normally town meeting is not at the end of June, and just before a major holiday.

The town clerk will then post the minutes (which has the vote of each article) on the town website.

The town administrator may then post a separate notice on the town website of the results and tally of the votes.
breathe easy (07-06-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #83
longislander

Town website post of town meeting results:

https://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/sit...s_07062020.pdf
Old 07-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #84
2thelakewego

Default A lot of information

Wow, I had a busy weekend and a couple days of visiting other friends and I missed a lot. I hope everyone had a nice 4th.

There is a lot of information in the past few posts.

Some of the info doesn't line up with things I have read or seen on the Town website, but I asked why people objected, so I am not here to debate anyone.

For whoever asked, we are planning to move from Massachusetts so we are familiar with snow and cold winters, and we understand they can be a little longer in NH.

It definitely sounds like a Community Center with a replacement portion for the function space at the old Lion's Club and a gym which allows for adult recreation activities is not going to happen in the near future (if ever).

I am wondering, currently what do adults of all ages do for health and fitness in the winter in Moultonborough? We are not super active skiers or winter hikers but would still like to do something to stay active preferably indoors. Also, if there are a lot of people coming to Moultonborough to retire, how do people meet each other or make friends. We have one couple who are our friends in town and they don't know very many people so I told them too I would ask on here where do 60-70 somethings meet people?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #85
TheProfessor

Quote:
We have one couple who are our friends in town and they don't know very many people so I told them too I would ask on here where do 60-70 somethings meet people?
There is so much to do in the Lakes Region that many do not have enough time.

Get involved with your place of worship. If you don't have one - join one.

Join a local civic organization such as the Lions Club. The local Lions Clubs are always seeking new energized members.

If either is a Veteran - join all of the local Veterans organizations.

The local hospitals are always seeking volunteers. Whether Laconia or Wolfeboro or the Veterans Home in Tilton.

The local library has a book club. Join in to get some good discussions going. The library has other offerings to consume your time and maybe learn something new.

There is the local Woman's Club and an informal monthly Men's Breakfast.

The Moultonborough Sportsmen's Club is an active organization.

The local snowmobile club is also active with outdoor adventures.

Visit the local town hall or contact and sign up for a multitude of volunteer committees.

Moultonborough has a wonderful Historical Society. Sign up and join in.

The local restaurants and coffee shops are always a place to meet new people.

Many have informal card playing or other informal social activities.

And there is much, much more. Join in and you will find out that you have too many friends with too much to do and not enough time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
2thelakewego (07-10-2020), Top-Water (07-10-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #86
loonguy

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful post, Professor. Notably absent from your list is any reference to a facility to play indoor sports in the Winter. Are there any such facilities in Moultonborough, or in neighboring communities that would welcome Moultonborough residents to use the facilities? I would especially welcome such a facility with a seniors basketball group.

Last edited by loonguy; 07-09-2020 at 05:14 PM.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
2thelakewego (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #87
2thelakewego

Quote:

Get involved with your place of worship. If you don't have one - join one.

Join a local civic organization such as the Lions Club. The local Lions Clubs are always seeking new energized members.

If either is a Veteran - join all of the local Veterans organizations.

The local hospitals are always seeking volunteers. Whether Laconia or Wolfeboro or the Veterans Home in Tilton.

The local library has a book club. Join in to get some good discussions going. The library has other offerings to consume your time and maybe learn something new.

There is the local Woman's Club and an informal monthly Men's Breakfast.

The Moultonborough Sportsmen's Club is an active organization.

The local snowmobile club is also active with outdoor adventures.

Visit the local town hall or contact and sign up for a multitude of volunteer committees.

Moultonborough has a wonderful Historical Society. Sign up and join in.

The local restaurants and coffee shops are always a place to meet new people.

Many have informal card playing or other informal social activities.

And there is much, much more. Join in and you will find out that you have too many friends with too much to do and not enough time.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:07 PM   #88
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
.....any reference to a facility to play indoor sports in the Winter. Are there any such facilities in Moultonborough, or in neighboring communities that would welcome Moultonborough residents to use the facilities? I would especially welcome such a facility with a seniors basketball group.
Moultonborough residents get to play in the basketball game from Oct 1 - May 31 that meets something like two nights per week at the Meredith Community Center gym.

Ditto that for pickleball on Tues and Friday from 9-11am, plus Wed night.

The Meredith Community Center gym is huge with translucent glass windows high up that let in a lot of natural daylight. There's room for three pickleball courts, plus it has a very tall rock climbing wall, Mt Meredith with an overhang, and a small stage, and is located about two to three miles from the local public schools.
loonguy (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #89
ITD

I've always thought this area might be a good fit for something like a YMCA, i.e. privately funded recreational facility, much more work than writing an article to spend tax payer money, but probably more realistic in the end.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
jbolty (07-11-2020)