Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default looking for car insurance company

Bought a new GMC Denali truck. Looking for a good reputable insurance company. I have Metlife on all our cars and homes for a very long time. Time to make a change since I sold my other truck now need to insure the new one.

What insurance companies have you used and have they provided good customer service.
I'm going to check out AAA, Geico, AARP for comparisons. Has anyone had experience with any of these or others that you would recommend?

Searched the forum but was not able to find any information. I thought I had remembered there had been a similar discussion about car insurance some time ago.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

I would strongly recommend Allstate. Jon Clark has the agency in Wolfeboro and he has been very helpful. We had a major claim in December (flooded 1st floor), and we needed him at times to prod the proper people, and he was great on the follow through. By having automobile and homeowners insurance with them, there’s a substantial savings. We have 3 cars insured, all with collision and $250 deductible, and it runs about $1200/yr., which saved us quite a bit over the previous company. Hope this helps. 569-0110.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Concord Group

We have Concord Group through Cross Ins in Laconia. Home, auto, personal umbrella, and got Progressive through them for the boat when we had it. Full service agency and the customer service from them had been very good.

Dave
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Mr. V

I switched from Progressive to the Hartford through AARP and was very happy I did.

Much lower rates, and they didn't charge anything out of the ordinary for my Ferrari (surprised me: maybe the person was unfamiliar with the marque?)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Combine for discounts

Almost every company wants both home and auto and gives discounts accordingly. Switching just one line or one car will be a loser for you. Liberty Mutual pricing is great if you fit their niche for rating, otherwise their rates may be average although I think service is still good. If you or a family member has any sort of military affiliation, USAA can't be beat. If you have unique needs, check those out before you switch car and home. Examples, large umbrella, commercial or investment prosperity, second home on a barrier island etc. If you don't have an Umbrella, you probably should. Ask about it. Prices vary more on those and could wipe out a chunk of any base policy savings.
No rush. You can usually add your new car to the existing policy and change at your convenience.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

We just switched from Liberty Mutual to Safeco a Liberty Mutual owned company. Better coverage for same cost. Used Insurance Outlet in Laconia

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

When I moved from northern MA to southern NH, my brother shared some good experiences he'd had with our town's State Farm agent, so we signed up everything with them. In that time, I've had incidents that could've been horrible with the wrong insurance company but that were super fluid with SF. Among them was an accident in which I was rear-ended by an uninsured motorist into a brand new Lexus.

We have two vehicles, Boatie Two, Jettie One, and a $1M umbrella for ~$175/month, which I think is very reasonable. And today I got notice that it'll be $136/mth. for this year because of the CV-19 Good Neighbor Discount.

I'm not really sure where they fall in terms of cost, but it's so easy working with my agent that I don't care.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Newbiesaukee

I have had USAA for everything for 40 years. All done either on the phone or Internet. No problems with any claims. You need some association with the military. Only problem is the trend has been to outsource many lines. For example, just got new boat. USAA sent me to Progressive which will be actual insurer. Still, rates and service have been great.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #9
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I would strongly recommend Allstate. Jon Clark has the agency in Wolfeboro and he has been very helpful. We had a major claim in December (flooded 1st floor), and we needed him at times to prod the proper people, and he was great on the follow through. By having automobile and homeowners insurance with them, there’s a substantial savings. We have 3 cars insured, all with collision and $250 deductible, and it runs about $1200/yr., which saved us quite a bit over the previous company. Hope this helps. 569-0110.
Thank you. Yes it is good information
Old 06-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I have had USAA for everything for 40 years. All done either on the phone or Internet. No problems with any claims. You need some association with the military. Only problem is the trend has been to outsource many lines. For example, just got new boat. USAA sent me to Progressive which will be actual insurer. Still, rates and service have been great.
I wish I could qualify for USAA. I had a brief military service. I was in Navy Officer Candidate Training school when it was discovered that I had a long ago medical issue when I was a youngster. They gave me a medical discharge after 16 weeks and just before graduation. Now I don't think I would qualify for USAA because of my short stay in the Navy. Does any one know if I would?
Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
chasedawg

Default car insurance

Has anyone used Geico or AAA for their car insurance. Rates are very low but also concerns me. With Metlife I have an abundance of coverage. I know they all want all your possessions plus millions of umbrella coverage.

I got a quote from Geico and AAA that was half of what I am paying from Metlife for the new truck. It must not be apples to apples. Anyone have experience with either Geico or AAA?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
I wish I could qualify for USAA. I had a brief military service. I was in Navy Officer Candidate Training school when it was discovered that I had a long ago medical issue when I was a youngster. They gave me a medical discharge after 16 weeks and just before graduation. Now I don't think I would qualify for USAA because of my short stay in the Navy. Does any one know if I would?
If you have documentation that shows you were honorably separated from the service, even after only 16 weeks on active duty, you should be eligible for USAA membership. Be aware, however, that USAA has different tiers of membership, based on an individual member's military background, that can have an impact on the insurance premiums and products that are offered. You can always call USAA for a determination on what you are eligible for.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
Irish mist

Quote:
Has anyone used Geico or AAA for their car insurance. Rates are very low but also concerns me. With Metlife I have an abundance of coverage. I know they all want all your possessions plus millions of umbrella coverage.

I got a quote from Geico and AAA that was half of what I am paying from Metlife for the new truck. It must not be apples to apples. Anyone have experience with either Geico or AAA?
I use Geico...my first-year rate was excellent. After that, no so much. So yes, those cheap rates will not last. Still, they are good to work with.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Fishinfergy

Being a property adjuster and having dealt with claims with every carrier I would recommend any that you do not see on TV besides Amica. Just my 2 cents in handling claims from $0 to millions. Get a local reputable agent that carry’s many lines.
Fishinfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishinfergy For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #15
Winilyme

Default Our experience

Amica provides our home, auto and umbrella insurance in CT. We switched to a dividend policy with them after our prior insurer, a local outfit, sold out to a larger insurer. I decided it was a good time to shop around. Our decision was more about their reputation for great customer service (often reported as second only to USAA) than it was about price. USAA was not an option for us. That said, Amica was competitive at the time though I sense that they are probably more costly now. It's just a feeling I have but I have little incentive to change since they've been great the few times we've needed them.

Interestingly, when we purchased our place on the lake five years ago, Amica was uncharacteristically slow to respond to my request for a homeowners quote. I'm not very patient with those sorts of things so on someone's recommendation, I worked with The Insurance Outlet in Laconia and they secured a Safeco policy that I'm happy with though I've yet to need it. And I'm sure Safeco is happy since they are receiving my money and not paying me any.

I do recommend working with the The Insurance Outlet. They've always been exceedingly responsive whenever I've called them with policy questions. I also got my boating insurance (Progressive) through them. Good guys to work with and they make it easy.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:30 PM   #16
Crusty

Wife's family has five generations with Amica. I switched due to price and service (from Nationwide). Includes home, multiple autos, trailer, boat, liability umbrella. No agents, but their 800 number is VERY responsive. They are a mutual company, owned by the policy holders. You have a choice of rates: dividend participating or "regular". Regular rates are the lowest per month. The participating rates are slightly higher per month, but at the end of the year they refund their profits. The past few years it's amounted to about a 2 month refund. They did decline to cover our lake cottage because they had no experience with NH lake cottages and had no idea how much to charge. Turns out a lot of insurers won't cover them either, although a few still do.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #17
Reilly

Default The Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
We just switched from Liberty Mutual to Safeco a Liberty Mutual owned company. Better coverage for same cost. Used Insurance Outlet in Laconia

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I agree Chris ,Tim & Ryan are the Best , Family owned
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Ask

Quote:
You were qualified when you were in OCS so you ared probably qualified now. Call 1-800-531-87722 and ask, or go to USAA.com.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #19
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by descant View Post
you were qualified when you were in ocs so you ared probably qualified now. Call 1-800-531-87722 and ask, or go to usaa.com.
1-800-531-8722
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #20
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
I also think you would but best call them.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #21
garysanfran

Default Don't use Geico

Quote:

Geico does not pay claims. That's why they are so cheap. Don't ever consider Geico.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #22
Whimsey

Default Try Amica

I had MetLife and Amica was quite a bit cheaper. It's a mutual company so there are no shareholders to satisfy.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Over the years I have found if you are smart you will put your insurance out to bid. You always get a cheaper price than you are currently paying. It's just such a pain in the neck and if you like your insurance company you really don't want to change but if it's a lot cheaper-----
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #24
chasedawg

Default car insurance options

Quote:
Bought a new GMC Denali truck. Looking for a good reputable insurance company. I have Metlife on all our cars and homes for a very long time. Time to make a change since I sold my other truck now need to insure the new one.

What insurance companies have you used and have they provided good customer service.
I'm going to check out AAA, Geico, AARP for comparisons. Has anyone had experience with any of these or others that you would recommend?

Searched the forum but was not able to find any information. I thought I had remembered there had been a similar discussion about car insurance some time ago.
I want to thank all of those that gave me great suggestions and advise about getting new car insurance and reaching to new insurance companies. It is not easy to replace an insurance portfolio that I have had for 37 years that has covered many homes cars boats etc etc. You know how it goes.

Well I have made my decision how to approach this search. Absolutely do nothing. Stay the course! I heard this from another person but one agent really confirmed it for me. Chris McCarthy said to me on a con call...He said I'm very disappointed not to be able to get any of your business, but I would recommend you stay the course. When have you heard that honest opinion from any sales agent. Others just tried to sell me insurance on the new truck. Chris took it all the way to the goal line but didn't score. But yet he did in my mind.

That was a con call with Chris McCarthy from Outlet Insurance in Laconia. I hope I got that right. He was very knowledgeable and professional. After just a few questions about what I have for insurance he told me...I wish I could have your business. But you are better off just where you are. You have a great insurance portfolio. There are items that I could not cover today. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars more for a your new truck but so be it. I can't match or compete with what your portfolio covers and your multimillion dollar umbrella policy is more than adequate. Stay where you are. So there you have it...I'm staying where I am. NO more searching for now. It is not an easy search. Hope this helps others....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-01-2020), Reilly (07-04-2020), upthesaukee (07-01-2020), wobbelbill (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #25
radar4401

Default Car Insurance

I have been with State Farm insurance for over 40 years and have been satisfied with their service and price. I tried to compare prices with other companies, but since I've been with them, no one can come close. When I had to file a claim due to some hail damage when I lived in Vegas, they actually covered much more than I asked for. I have Bob Merwin in Laconia as an agent.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #26
bigdog

I echo 'Uptakesuakee' recommendation for the 'Concord Group'.

I have an indépendant agent (The Insurance Outlet), located on Court St Laconia, been with them for years. The are independent and shop a multiple of insurance companies looking for the best value and price.

They steered me to 'Concord Group' insurance, located in Concord NH.
I have all my cars and home with these folks, and they've provided stellar' service !

I have my boat insurance however, with Progressive just for the price factor.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I agree that Concord Group is GREAT!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #28
SailinAway

I've always had Nationwide. Over the years I compared them to several other companies looking to save some money, but Nationwide was always the cheapest, and they have roadside assistance. My current agent is Chris Demers in North Hampton (because my local agent closed). I've always had top-notch service from them. 603-964-9555.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #29
Maddie

Default Car insurance

The key to finding the right insurance company is having the right insurance agent. A good agent will set you up with the proper coverage with the most competitive company at the proper premium and will be your advocate at the most critical time, claim time. So all the comments that mention how good the agent was in helping are the most important
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote