Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
eyenotall777

Default Sandy Point Restaurant Announced Closed for Good

Sad to see that they announced they closed for good on 9/13. Served their last meals this past Sunday. Wish they had provided some notice as every time we tried to get in there w/ a reservation they stated they were full to capacity. A shame they could not make it work. It surely will be missed especially where it seemed they pulled together this past season Best of Luck to them.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyenotall777 View Post
Sad to see that they announced they closed for good on 9/13. Served their last meals this past Sunday. Wish they had provided some notice as every time we tried to get in there w/ a reservation they stated they were full to capacity. A shame they could not make it work. It surely will be missed especially where it seemed they pulled together this past season Best of Luck to them.
Always hard to get reservations as they were always packed. Seems like they did make it work, but maybe they felt that it was just too much work.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
phoenix

Me too a group of us have gone every summer for maybe twenty years
Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Winnisquamer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Me too a group of us have gone every summer for maybe twenty years

If you've been going there that long than good for them for closing (yes we know it sucks for us). Hope they enjoy retirement because we all should when the time comes.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Redwing (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
drwamcross

Default Sandy Point Closed For Good ???

Eye, where did you see they were closed for good? Their website is current and indicates they closed on Sunday, 9/13 for the season.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwamcross View Post
Eye, where did you see they were closed for good? Their website is current and indicates they closed on Sunday, 9/13 for the season.
From their Facebook page...

"We locked the doors for the last time on Sunday September 13. Thank you to all of you who have believed in us from the first day to the last. Your support kept us going, but unfortunately we have had to face the reality that this wasn't going to work for us. We have enjoyed meeting all of our new friends and are looking forward to what life has in store for us. Sincerely Mike and Loree"

eyenotall777 (09-16-2015), Redwing (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
drwamcross

Default On Facebook, not their website

Eye, I just went to their facebook page and found their announcement. They have only operated it for a couple of years, 2014 wasn't very good but we were there just a couple of weeks ago and had a delicious meal. Too bad another one bites the dust.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
rander7823

Default I would think they would try to sell?

I can't imagine that they would just abandon everything and maybe they are looking for a buyer?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
phoenix

I guess I don't get your point . yes everyone has an opportunity to leave
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Eric Weiss

Default SP closing

I believe that they only had a short term lease on the restaurant..
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default They don't own the restaurant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
I can't imagine that they would just abandon everything and maybe they are looking for a buyer?
The physical restaurant building is owned by Sandy Point Resort family. As when the Damon's ran the restaurant, it is a leased operation. Evidently, the current leasees felt this was not working for them.

In all fairness, it is a lot of work during a 4-5 month period. Best wishes to them.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #12
rander7823

Default Lease clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The physical restaurant building is owned by Sandy Point Resort family. As when the Damon's ran the restaurant, it is a leased operation. Evidently, the current leasees felt this was not working for them.

In all fairness, it is a lot of work during a 4-5 month period. Best wishes to them.
Thanks that helps clarify the situation. I was just trying to say for all of the folks that are sad about the closing of the restaurant was that maybe a new owner may come into play. Reviews were getting better and not exactly a turn key operation but someone could step in and take over.
I know I couldn't walk away for what is probably a sizable investment in fixtures, equipment unless those are also leased not to mention a staff that is trained.
Best wishes to them as well it probably wasn't an easy decision
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
eyenotall777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
Always hard to get reservations as they were always packed. Seems like they did make it work, but maybe they felt that it was just too much work.
Correct, the current Lessee's, especially this Season. I should have noted that it was not the Damons', the Lessee's from many previous years.

Best Wishes to them.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
eyenotall777

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwamcross View Post
Eye, I just went to their facebook page and found their announcement. They have only operated it for a couple of years, 2014 wasn't very good but we were there just a couple of weeks ago and had a delicious meal. Too bad another one bites the dust.
Yes, I should have noted that is where I viewed the announcement, I apologize for not including that information. This was also the Current Lessee's (not the Damons from many previous years). I unfortunately was not able to get in there this year Best of Luck to them and hopefully a new venture for someone else up for the challenge if the Resort decides to Lease
Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
ghfromaltonbay

Default Correct, Uppie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The physical restaurant building is owned by Sandy Point Resort family. As when the Damons ran the restaurant, it is a leased operation. Evidently, the current leasees felt this was not working for them.

It is a lot of work & the Damons put in lots of long hours for many many years. The new leasees kept cutting days & hours of operation. Jeanne Damon would open early & the crew would do prep work all day. The new people often did not show up till an hour before opening. Also did not show up to meet suppliers, just left door unlocked. They sure didn't have the work ethic of the Damons & the results are evident. You can't run a seasonal business by cutting hours, not putting in 100% effort, & raising prices so the locals no longer eat there. Hope the next leasee is more like the Damons.
There were not many nights when the lot was full & many nights there were no boats @ the restaurant dock. I think they didn't book as many reservations so those that called were told they had no room. At 6 pm the Friday of Labor Day weekend,there were fewer than 10 cars there when I drove in. That would have been unheard of in the Damon years.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 09-16-2015 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote