Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Phone survey?

I received a automated call to my answering machine last night. I didn’t pick it up but I heard the first part of the message. It was a survey on the lake speed limits. It did not say who they were or whom they were calling for. I got the same call this evening and out of curiosity picked up and listened to the whole survey. The questions were;

Are you in favor of the speed limit?
Are you strongly or somewhat in favor?
Are you in favor of the speed limit being at 45/30?
Strongly or somewhat?
Are you in favor of an increase to 50 mph?
Strongly/somewhat?
Are you a Republican or a Democrat?
Mail or female?
Age group?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
lawn psycho

So they ask if you support speed limits but not if you oppose them. WinnFabs must be losing a lot of sleep right now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-31-2011), RTTOOL (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

I didn't start this to be a continuation of all the posts you can find or make on the Lake Issues section. All I did was report what I had experienced. I first thought I should post it down there but I thought everybody should have a chance to know what happened.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-30-2011), Skip (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
MarkinNH

I received the same phone call and you are asked whether you "favor" or "oppose" the speed limit and the 2nd question asks whether you "strongly favor" or "strongly oppose" the speed limit and then they ask whether or not you "favor" or "oppose" increasing the speed limit to 55mph in the broads etc. etc.
I don't see what differance being a republican or a democrate or a male / female has to do with it
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Just returned home to find the same call as noted above on the answering machine and no indication of who is behind call. I'm not pleased for several reasons including the fact thar we are on the "No Call" list. Does anyone know who is sponsoring this message?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Pine Island Guy

Default doesn't matter in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I'm not pleased for several reasons including the fact thar we are on the "No Call" list. ?
unfortunately the federal "do not call" list does not apply to survey's, companies you have an active business relationship with (e.g. your bank), or charities...

the ice is melting the ice is melting!!! PIG
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Just returned home to find the same call as noted above on the answering machine and no indication of who is behind call. I'm not pleased for several reasons including the fact thar we are on the "No Call" list. Does anyone know who is sponsoring this message?
I don't know how NH works but there may be a violation if they don't identify themselves. I would contact the NH Attorney General.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Pine Island Guy

Default i don't believe so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I don't know how NH works but there may be a violation if they don't identify themselves. I would contact the NH Attorney General.
A quick check of the NH State site says we don't have a State DNC, and redirects to the Federal DNC... (some states have their own, and can be more specific than the federal)...

Here's the FAQ from the Federal DNC about what organizations are exempted:

Q: If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

A: No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most telemarketing calls, but not all. Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request

a helpful link for anyone interested in getting the facts on DNC http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt107.shtm

snow and ice should go away and come back to visit next januarayyy

Last edited by Pine Island Guy; 03-31-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added link and ice melt encouragement...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
lawn psycho

I think you are mixing two concepts. That information yu posted is about the Federal Do Not Call registry.

NH has seperate law(s) because of robo-calling in the past that requires identification of the caller. The fine for a violation is steep and can be levied for each call.

My suggestion is for this to be reported to the NH Attorney General as you can bet they will investigate it.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Pine Island Guy

Default maybe, but maybe not...

I understand the difference in the Federal and State Do Not Call lists, I work in a business that needs to differentiate...

Here's the link to the NH State DNC site... I'm from Missouri, and don't see how a call from a survey company (robo or human) violates the NH law and needs to be reported to the AG...

But I've been corrected before, so am open to seeing what you are talking about documented on the NH site...

thank you -PIG

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/donotcall.html

Last edited by Pine Island Guy; 03-31-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: forgot the link again!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
lawn psycho

The law is not a consumer based law but a political action, campaign based law.......
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Rusty

I don’t know if the call was political or not…… BUT….It is not permissible to send prerecorded political calls to individuals who are on the Do Not Call list in New Hampshire.
While political calls are exempt from the federal Do Not Call regulations, New Hampshire modified that law when the state adopted it. It makes prerecorded political messages illegal if they're called to people on the registry.
Violating the state law for the Do Not Call registry can be punishable by fines of up to $5,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Pine Island Guy

Default mixing apples and politicians...

given the questions that Jonas Pilot recorded, it seems like a legitimate survey and I would have a hard time understanding how this is related to a political candidate or campaign, which is the law you are quoting... the only question that comes close is are you a republican or democrat - but that is in the context of getting demographic information...

In any case, I don't care if you call the AG and try to make a case out of it. It will provide further entertainment for all of use while we wait for the ice to melt and can get out on the Lake!!!

over and out -PIG

p.s. maybe our legal eagle Skip can provide more insights

p.p.s. another interesting link to the NH law where it notes "is ripe for a constitutional challenge" http://www.copilevitz-canter.com/ind...ecorded_calls/
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
In any case, I don't care if you call the AG and try to make a case out of it. It will provide further entertainment for all of use while we wait for the ice to melt and can get out on the Lake!!!
Nice try but when you try to make insunations about the constitutionality of telemarketing regulations, I think you do care

If you or any other telemarketers does happen to get me to pick up the phone, they should be prepared for the unexpected. Free speech works both ways
Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Pine Island Guy

Default sorry, but with that accusation, i need to respond...

i'm not a telemarketer, nor do i work for a firm that does it. the "insinuation" was from an article (that i linked) that i found while researching your claim, and thought was interesting information...

i was just trying to contribute to the conversation with what i thought was relevant information. i'm not sure what your agenda is, but i promise i will not walk on your lawn...

believe me, when a telemarketer calls me, they probably get the same response you would give them...

-PIG
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Sandy Beach

Thumbs down Telephone solicitors are worse than boating cowboys

I extremely dislike telemarketers or those that make unsolicited calls to my home. They use every nuance to skirt or blatently violate the DNC laws. Of course, Non-profit groups, surveys, polls and political related calls are EXEMPT from Do Not Call rules.

The latest round to my phone are people who claim I have possibly won a prize, and I just have to answer a few qualifying questions. It winds up turning into something that will cost me money to get a FREE prize.

Even worse are those that use fake Caller ID name/numbers or display private call on the caller ID. They hang up on the answerphone and call numerous times a week waiting for a real person to answer. Or recordings that are left on my voice mail that says, "Press 8 to be removed from our calling list". Of course by the time I retrieve the answerphone message pushing the number 8 is a waste of time.

IMHO WinnFaBS paid people to call and disturb us at home to ask questions skewed to provide the results they wanted to get. No evidence that they tried to poll people familiar with boating or the lakes.