Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default 1st Amendment

As most of you know, this is a moderated forum. Members in good standing have no restrictions on posting while others are screened if they have a pattern of flooding, attacking others, hijacking, vendettas or other behavior that is a red flag to me. All posts, moderated or not, are reviewed.

When a member is moderated for whatever reason I frequently get nasty emails accusing me of violating their 1st Amendment rights and worse. Let's review the 1st Amendment:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
The 1st Amendment protects you from the Government suppressing your free speech. If someone comes to your house to convince you of how to vote you have the right to tell them to shut up and leave. Publishers of newspapers, books and other publications (like Web sites) have the right to post or not post anything they'd like, with some limitations. You can exercise your 1st Amendment rights by starting your own Web site and publishing whatever you want.

While I have been attacked before for my moderation decisions, the nastiness has reached new levels. People come to the forum, ignore the rules and guidelines and then attack me when I moderate their posts. Recently a member posted a comment that I considered possibly libelous and it was removed. After they posted it again I put them on moderation. I was immediately flooded with dozens of emails from them with the word "NAZI" repeated hundreds of times. Nice. Despite this disgusting behavior they are still allowed to post, although heavily moderated.

This is becoming more common as civility, courtesy and respect for others seem to be disappearing. It was disturbing to read how many of you think nothing of giving the finger to your fellow boaters and lake lovers.

As this problem grows I am forced to step in more if I want this forum to remain a friendly and helpful place for those who love the lake. If a comment of yours is not posted please review the content of the 1st Amendment before sending me hateful NAZI emails.

This problem is not limited to our little forum. Some large national forums have recently announced new moderation policies to stop their sites from becoming cesspools of rants and hateful comments. Additional steps are being considered to prevent that from happening here.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
NightWing

Needed to be said!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
CaptDan

Default too bad

I agree with you.. Im sure you started this site for fun and enjoyment and to tie a large community together.

Its too bad your attention has to go from enjoyment to baby sitting.

- Dan
The Life of Riley
Old 07-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Keep up the good fight, Don. It's tough going, but you make it look easy
Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
jeffk

Thumbs up Thank you Don

Thank you Don, for all the work that you do to keep this forum afloat. It is unfortunate that you have to put up with such personal attacks. It is good to be passionate about what you believe in but when that passion degrades into personal attacks and viciousness it has crossed the boundaries of civil discourse and rightfully should be rejected. That portion of your support for this site must be very rough.

Jeffk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
JTA

Well said Don. I certainly derive great enjoyment from reading this forum. I agree that it should promote the enjoyment of Lake Winni and to share useful information. I also join those who thank you SOOOO much for your efforts on our behalf.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
JDeere

Don,

There are more good guys out there than lunatics.............it is just that the lunatics make more noise.

Thanks for all you do!!! Do not let them bring you down.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

When a member is moderated for whatever reason I frequently get nasty emails accusing me of violating their 1st Amendment rights and worse.

It's pretty telling that the people who scream the loudest know the least. Ignorance knows no bounds.

Thank you for providing this forum and thank you for the great job you do moderating it.

To those who bristle at being moderated, stop blaming the Webmaster and take a good long look in the mirror to see where the problem is.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default On your side Don

May this type of behavior be short-lived and a minor speedbump in the long road of happiness relating to this wonderful website and all its features.

Perhaps your more loyal friends and forum members can help by avoiding the trolls and troublemakers and make use of the "ignore" feature of the forum. We should all be adult enough to help police ourselves.

Thanks for all you do for us.

Dave
Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
Lakegeezer

Default Great job

Don't let the boneheads get you down. You're doing a great job and the moderation is effective while still allowing the site to be edgy. You have more patience than I would. Those that seriously threatened me would have their account and IP address banned. Somewhere, you are collecting zen master points for future use.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Orion

Thumbs up Right on!

I totally agree with all these responses and your original message. Posters should consider whether or not their post is of general interest to the whole forum or if they just have a "message" they want to give to another poster and use private messages for them. Many otherwise useful threads have been ruined by childish, pointless, arguments.

Overall, the forum is a huge asset to all of us lake lovers and a source of endless enjoyment and knowledge.

Thanks for all you do, Don!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Thanks for what you do

Don, it is disturbing to read about what you have to put up with. This forum has provided me with many hours if entertainment and tons of information to help my family enjoy the lake.

Hang in there!
Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
DRH

Default Thanks!

There really isn't much more I can add, Don, that hasn't already by posted above. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for making the Forum available to us. It's a real shame that a small number of people seem to think they have no obligation to follow the very reasonable rules and guidelines you have established, and an even bigger shame that they then attack you for enforcing those rules.

You've got a great many loyal supporters here, and we outnumber the "bad guys" by a wide margin!

Thanks for everything.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Wow!It's disturbing to hear your being trashed so hard.Even if I have been moderated I look right at myself for the answer.I know I've gotten a little to heated in some threads and if I'm out of line I EXPECT to be put back in my place.Keep up the hard work Don as you know there are way more great members on this forum than the dirtballs.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Cool Say hello to my little friend ...

Kudo's to Webmaster D for having more patience than I would but methinks when it gets that bad it's time to introduce them to the appropriate authority (below) and say adios ...
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
Pepper

My thoughts have been expressed by all the posters to this thread.

It simply boggles the mind to think that anyone would have the audacity to send such hateful emails. Even more mind-boggling that they send multiple times!

There aren't even words to express my sadness that our happy little sandbox has been visited by bullies. They're not welcome in this neighborhood, and soon they'll tire and wander off.

Thank you, Don, for all that you do. It is genuinely appreciated my many, many, many good folks.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #17
Drummer Girl

Default Wow

We are so sorry to hear that such awful sentiments were sent your way. Such an attack must have jolted you. Please know that your true forum friends are sending warm and thankful thoughts that will hopefully overshadow the mean spirited words sent your way. The forum does bring true joy, happiness, and comraderie to the majority of its faithful community.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Tallyho

Default First Amendment

A quote from Robert Frost:
"Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it"

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #19
Just Sold

Exclamation You are Doing the Right Thing

Don,
I echo everyones comments here. There is no reason or justification for the hostile and negative attacks on you or this site. There is too much negativity and hostility in other places so let those that choose that path stay there.

Winnipesaukee.com has always been a friendly place to visit and enjoy. All the thanks for that goes to you and your efforts. I know it will remain this way. So keep exercising your 1st Amendment Rights to keep it the way you want.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
2Blackdogs

Drummer Girl writes,

Quote:
We are so sorry to hear that such awful sentiments were sent your way. Such an attack must have jolted you.
Don was identically attacked on an open public Internet boating forum on 04-07-2005 at 09:16 AM, and on several occasions afterwards.

There are several shameful links I could provide, but it would be another "red-flag issue" for Don. My guess is it's the same poster-insurgents from 2005.

The job of "The Mod" was never an easy one, and a local issue continues to make it no easier.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #21
hazelnut

Just give us his or her name and we'll......... ahhhh just kidding.

Seriously though thanks for keeping the site up and running through all the adversity and chaos. I myself have treaded the line and I believe one or two of my comments have been pulled. No big deal I usually follow it up with an email apology to you and then I recheck my self and move on.
Closed Thread