Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
rrr

Default will my SeaDoo survive?

This is one of those 'ask the experts'...

Long story short - last week, I let the younger generation use my SeaDoo to go tubing. It's a 2002, GTX 4-stroke. At some point, the tow line was sucked in. In order to remove it, the SeaDoo got rolled. When it was returned to upright, it was filled with water. We got all the water out and left it to dry out. A couple of hours later, it started right up but on a slow putt around was beeping (you know the tone you get when you plug the lanyard in?) but it kept running. Last I looked, there was still some moisture clouding the display. Should I take her in for service or do you think she'll be okay?

thanks in advance for your advice
rrr
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
ITD

Call Chuck at Dasylva motorsports, I always tell people (the very few I allow to use my jet ski) that they are not water tight when rolled and to roll back up right asap. Good luck. Sounds like nothing a few hundred (or more) dollars won't fix.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
rrr (08-21-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Call Chuck at Dasylva motorsports, I always tell people (the very few I allow to use my jet ski) that they are not water tight when rolled and to roll back up right asap. Good luck. Sounds like nothing a few hundred (or more) dollars won't fix.
Just had them do one of mine for the same reason last week. Runs fine.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
rrr (08-21-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Just had them do one of mine for the same reason last week. Runs fine.
What did they do? How bad was the price?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
nhboat61

Earlier this year, some one pulled the drain plugs out of our Kawasaki and found it sitting on the bottom.

We took it to Rochester Kawasaki and they found lots of water in the oil. It took them 4 oil flushes to get the water out of the block. We also had to replace the battery. They did great work and told us we were real lucky that we didn't start it up.

So, my advise is to get some one to look at it and make sure there is no water in the oil.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
This is one of those 'ask the experts'...

Long story short - last week, I let the younger generation use my SeaDoo to go tubing. It's a 2002, GTX 4-stroke. At some point, the tow line was sucked in. In order to remove it, the SeaDoo got rolled. When it was returned to upright, it was filled with water. We got all the water out and left it to dry out. A couple of hours later, it started right up but on a slow putt around was beeping (you know the tone you get when you plug the lanyard in?) but it kept running. Last I looked, there was still some moisture clouding the display. Should I take her in for service or do you think she'll be okay?

thanks in advance for your advice
rrr
Was there any indication on the display when it beeped? Have you started it and run it at all lately?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Was there any indication on the display when it beeped? Have you started it and run it at all lately?
Hard to tell as there was moisture in the display. I haven't run it in about a week. I was hoping to run it to the ramp this weekend and pull it.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As everyone here has said, these things are not water tight.... and the possibility for damage is high....

I suggest at a minimum, pulling the jet ski out of the water, and doing a oil change to look for water in the oil.

Most of the electronics should be sealed so as not to be effected by the moisture....

Bring the machine to the dealer is not a bad choice, as they have experience with dealing with just this type of situation. However this can be costly.... However not as costly as running with water in the oil....

now as for getting things caught and tangled in the jet pump... The only safe way to remove them is unfortunately to get the jet ski on land and disassemble the pump, as much as is needed. As was discovered here, the longer the ski spends upside down in the water, the more likely you are to have problems.

Also to note is that towing a disabled jet ski requires some caution as well... I have a fresh water cooling line in mine that needs to be clamped, to prevent raw water from getting back to the engine through the exhaust.
rrr (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
ITD

If water infiltrated the crankcase, then every day it sits more rust forms, I would not wait too much longer to figure out if there is a problem or the prognosis may not be good....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
rrr (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
What did they do? How bad was the price?
Removed the rope and got the water out of the engine. The bill was around 270.00. I think this is very reasonable for the time involved. It might cost more or less as more or less work could be needed. All repairs differ. He will give you an estimate before he does any work. I have always found them to be good.

Last edited by dan; 08-24-2013 at 03:39 PM.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (08-22-2013)