Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
crownline_guy

Default Title Seasonal Camper in NH yet live in MA?

Does anyone know the rules to title a permanent seasonal camper in NH while I actually reside in MA. Is there any residence stipulation or time that the camper needs to be in NH prior to title application?
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownline_guy
Does anyone know the rules to title a permanent seasonal camper in NH while I actually reside in MA. Is there any residence stipulation or time that the camper needs to be in NH prior to title application?
The title lists the name and address of the owner, not necessarily the location of the vehicle. Lease cars are titled in the name and location of the lease company. I should think a trailer would be the same. The title shouldn't even be an issue unless you register or sell the unit.

You don't mean registration, do you?
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
crownline_guy

Default It's for bank purposes

I'm not registreing the trailer but the bank need a title to it and I don't want to title in in MA as it's not being used there.
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownline_guy
I'm not registreing the trailer but the bank need a title to it and I don't want to title in in MA as it's not being used there.
Is that a tax issue?
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
RLW

Post Tax issue

It really shouldn't be a tax issue as you pay that when one registers the trailer and he doesn't sound like he'll be doing that. Couldn't he just list the address where the trailer is going to reside at?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
onthebay

Default Tax Issues

I live in MA and ran into a similar issue a number of years ago. I bought a camper at a RV show from a dealer in Fitchburg MA and had it delivered to a seasonal site in Wells ME. Since I didn't have it registered I didn't have to pay a sales tax or so I thought. Before I went to sell it a few years later I received a Use Tax bill from the state of ME for a couple of thousand dollars. The tax was $875 and penalties and interest of over $1,300.00 They also put a lien on the camper so I couldn't sell it.
I had to fight to have them waive the penalties and interest. My reasoning was that they never sent me a bill. They countered that ignorance of the law was no excuse. Like I am going to go search out any potential bills that I might have to pay and then get penalized for not searching hard enough.
After fighting them for about 6 months with penalties and interest getting worse all the time thay agreed to waive the penalties. I had to pay the tax plus interest before they would release the lien. The town also got involved and tacked on a property/excise tax.
I don't know if you bought the camper in MA or NH but you may just want to register it and pay the tax so you can get a clear title.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
joann721

Default Trailer in NH- live in Mass

We had a similar situation. We live in MA and purchased a trailer at the RV show to be placed on a seasonal site in Meredith. We did pay the sales tax at the point of sale to avoid a similar situation that you explained. The finance company has the title, and will until the note is paid. We did not originally intend to pay the sales tax because it wasnt being registered. But it was explained to us, by the dealer, that in the long run it was in our best interest, when it comes time to sell it, that we pay it up front. Hope this helps.. The reason we didnt want to register it is the excise tax that the lovely state of MA imposes on anything with wheels. But now the town of Meredith is telling us that each trailer needs to be registered to avoid a luxury property tax- so this spring I dont know what we will do... Its never easy is it...

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
RLW

Default Taxes, taxes

What is paying up front mean. If yo do not register in MA and sell it, there still isn't any tax to you. If the purchaser registers it then he/she will pay the tax on the amount he paid for it from you. New Hampshire does have a non resident registation which means you can use it in that state and that state only. I have a vehicle registered that way, but I do not know if that goes for trailers or not.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
What is paying up front mean. If yo do not register in MA and sell it, there still isn't any tax to you. If the purchaser registers it then he/she will pay the tax on the amount he paid for it from you. New Hampshire does have a non resident registation which means you can use it in that state and that state only. I have a vehicle registered that way, but I do not know if that goes for trailers or not.
The non resident registration seems to work only if you own land in NH. When I used that technique for my boat trailer that was the first question the town clerk asked...after that it was just paper worked. So my question for Crownline guy becomes where is the trailer headed? (e.g. owned land, leased land, or just a campground).......... Owned land or leased land you might be able to tittle it in NH, not sure how they would treat it if you just had a site in a camp ground .....
Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
hoytglp

Default title

If you go to worc. reg. they have a form for it and are the only ones who understand it. You have to have it delivered in NH and ALL TRANSACTIONS MUST TAKE PLACE IN NH.
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote