Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
prostar190

Default Looking for some Sea Dooo help

We are looking to buy a new Sea doo watercraft but are not sure what to get. We looked at the Sea Doo GTX. It is 155 hp and is over 800 pounds. We had two Sea Doo GTX limited. They were 1999 and they went really fast. Here is my question. The 1999 Sea Doo was 130 hp and 640 pounds. Will the new 2005 go as fast? It is only 25 more hp and ways almost 200 pounds more. I assume that it weighs so much becasue it is a four stroke. We just want to make sure thsat before we make our purchase that it has enough pick up to get it out of the water with two or three people on it.

Thanks for the help
prostar190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
dpg

Isn't there any dealer on the lake that can let you try one? Who buys a car without driving it? If you tell someone your very interested but need to try it they'll find a way.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
gtxrider

Default Fast enough?

I ride a GTX 4TEC and if 50 MPH is fast enough than it will do. It is a great riding machine but I can only base it on having had a Kawasaki SSXI two seater that was a rocket but only on flat water.
What happens if the speed limit gets voted in?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

My Yamaha xl 1200 has a 155 hp motor weighs appr the same and is a 3 seater.It has plenty of power and I have hit 60 mph.I don't see why the sea-doo would be much different. SS
Old 05-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
prostar190

Default question for GTXrider

How is the pickup on your GTX 4-stroke?

Thanks
prostar190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
smith point boater

Default Fast Enough

I have a GTX supercharge Great get up and go. Easily does 60MPH on relatively calm water Go for it
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Lightbulb Rochester Motorsports

You could always go see Miles at Rochester Motorsports. We have one.... can't tell you the model off the top of my head. 3 person though and it says max speed 72..... granted.... maybe not with all 3 people on it. More like 60 mph very good pick up. Great for towing kids water skiing or tubing.
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Islander

Any four stroke engine weighs more per horsepower than a two stroke. Do you really want to invest a lot in a faster unit when there will probably be a speed limit?
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
gtxrider

Default Ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar190
How is the pickup on your GTX 4-stroke?

Thanks
Prostar190,

It can get out of its own way. Pick up is good and the ride is good! We got ours at Hill Crest. I think Irwins took the place over but we got a good deal trading Kawaski and an older Sea Doo GTI

Last edited by gtxrider; 05-19-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Addition
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
Captain Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar190
We just want to make sure thsat before we make our purchase that it has enough pick up to get it out of the water with two or three people on it.
The four stroke does have great benefits and it has more than enough torque.
Captain Binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
jetskier

Thumbs up Supercharged version if you need more speed

Hi all,

Seadoo is selling a supercharged version of the GTX called the GTX SC. It is 867 lbs (dry weight) and packs 185 hp.

I have a 2002 GTX 4-TEC and generally like it. My only dislike is the OPAS (Off Power Assisted Steering) system. It tends to make the boat behave strangely at relatively slow speeds. It is quite easy to disable the system...which is what I did.

Hope this helps!
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
Hi all,

Seadoo is selling a supercharged version of the GTX called the GTX SC. It is 867 lbs (dry weight) and packs 185 hp.

I have a 2002 GTX 4-TEC and generally like it. My only dislike is the OPAS (Off Power Assisted Steering) system. It tends to make the boat behave strangely at relatively slow speeds. It is quite easy to disable the system...which is what I did.

Hope this helps!
This year Sea-Doo is making the RXT and GTX Limited which are both 215hp 3 seaters. Both have enough power to do anything that you could possibly want, they are stable in rough water but still fast enough to beat almost any stock 2 seater on the market in a race. They are not cheap however, I have been doing my research as I am buying one or the other and prices start at $10.5k for the rxt and $12k for the ltd. Just curious Jetskier, which method of disabling the OPAs did you use? I am stuck between Riva and R&D.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
jetskier

You are correct! My bad. At 215 hp both of these are going to be very fast right out of the box. My guess is that they will push 70 mph and that is very fast on a PWC.

I looked at the Riva webpage and there appears to be two ways to do this. They show a block off kit to fill the void in the event that you completely remove the OPAS. This seems to cost on the order of about $300. The second method is to use a spacer. In this case the fin is held in the retracted position under all conditions. I originally used an aftermarket aluminum billet part that fell off. I then decided to make my own out of PVC tubing. I cut to the same length as the aftermarket part, filed a notch in the top and filed a groove around the waist of the part. I secured the spacer on the shaft with a cable tie. No problems so far! Riva seems to have a part for about $19.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #14
chipj29

prostar, the GTX 4-tec, without the supercharger, will go just a little bit faster than your old GTX (I have the 1999 GTX Limited). My buddy has one, and when we go head to head We stay right next to each other, and he very slowly pulls away from me. The 4-tec has plenty of power, and is very capable of pulling a skier or tuber. Of course the supercharged is a lot more powerful, but also a lot more expensive!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #15
Captain Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
My only dislike is the OPAS (Off Power Assisted Steering) system. It tends to make the boat behave strangely at relatively slow speeds. It is quite easy to disable the system...which is what I did.
Hi Jetskier,

By disabling the OPAS system, what does it improve? The OPAS system is meant to improve handling at low speeds.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
codeman671

Default opas

I have heard that most die-hard Sea Doo riders that like to mod their machines do disable the OPAS as it does interfere with handling at higher speeds especially when in rough water and the boat is coming out of the water frequently. I am told it can get rather unpredictable as to which way it will want to go on landings and gives it a rather unnatural feel compared to other pwc. I booked my new RXT today so I guess I will know for myself next week.

For information on Sea Doo perfomance work and tuning you can check out www.rivayamaha.com, they have a great performance forum. Also www.greenhulk.net. He is the authority on these.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
Captain Binary

Thanks for the links.

It seems that the removing of the OPAS system helps you turn faster and increases the speed overall.

But, does the removing of the system hinder your turning ability at low speeds?

Last edited by Captain Binary; 06-01-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:09 PM   #18
codeman671

I would think that without it you would have the normal low speed steering capabilities of any non-sea doo pwc- basically none unless you are in the throttle. My Yamaha and Polaris now do not turn at all unless under power, docking usually requires a foot in the water acting as a rudder. I hope the opas works, it does not bother me being without but if it is a bonus I would see it as more of a benefit for non-experienced riders. Any insight jetskier?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 AM   #19
chipj29

Default www.sea-doo.net

A couple things. First, one more link to the list codeman gave. Try www.sea-doo.net There is a message board on there with lots of awesome information. Green hulk is a member there.
Secondly, I don't have OPAS on my ski, but if I did I would disable, based on what I have read. There are no benefits to having it unless you are a novice rider. I would guesstimate that well over 50% of the people on Sea-Doo.net have eliminated OPAS and have no regrets in doing so. Most of the comments I have seen are similar to what codeman has said above.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #20
codeman671

Default Riva

I checked with Riva today on this, they suggest for rec riding that you use their competition kit for the opas. It clips the fins up at high speeds but still allows them to drop out at low speeds. They highly recommend not disabling it altogether unless you are in competition and using aggresive sponsons with minimal docking and putting around. It looks like the R&D kit does the same. The rxt is a big boat to swing in confined areas. Can't wait to next week to try it!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #21
chipj29

Default Rxt

Codeman, from what I have heard, you are going to LOVE that new RXT! After breakin, I hear they are almost as fast as the RXP. I think I read that a stock RXT was gps'd at around 68. And you will get to that speed in no time! Have fun, be careful!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #22
jetskier

Talking OPAS - Good Discussion!!!

Hi all,

The OPAS system is meant to provide steering control when you do not have power. A jet propulsion system provides steering by directing the flow of water in a direction. When there is no power, there is no steering or control.

The OPAS system on the Sea Doo uses a pair of fins to provide steering control at very low speeds. This works even when there is no power, the fins do cause drag. At low speeds, this is not a problem. When you increase speed, the water pressure increases and is used to lift the fins and retract them.

I find that there are times that the power control and the off power control conflict and create handling issues. This is true in chop when the pressure can fluctuate and cause the fins to drop and rise. In addition, when you speed up and slow down, there is a point where the fins retract and fall that is a bit variable.

Personally, I just don't like the craft handling with the OPAS. I find that there are times that it is not predictable. Without it, it behaves in a more predictable fashion. So, I have disabled it. I have been riding a PWC for years without this system and know how to handle the craft. I think that the system might be good for new riders or renters...but, for an experienced rider, I don't see too much value.

Regards,
jetskier