Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default surviving cold water

Alrighty, the water temp just hit 50, and that means thats surviving a flip-flop off your boat and into the cold water is somewhat survivable, even without a pfd. Wearing a pfd definately is a big plus but even without one, 50 degree water does not have to be a killer. Upon getting dunked you can create a make-shift 'pfd' out of your long pants and a belt, before your hands freeze. Remove pants, tie each leg off with a knot, tighten the belt all the way, raise this new operational 'pfd' up over your head and down into the water and allowing it to fill w/ air and use it as a support float under and around your stomach-waist area.

One person can drown in cold wter while another will survive under the same hazardous overboard situation. A sense of determination and strong will to survive can make a big difference, once the water temps reach 50 degrees. If you tell yourself you will definately make it, you probably will. At least. that's what I tell myself. In 1998 during the no-wake period in June, two fisherman drowned in Alton when their small boat swamped.

Before someone else chimes in and says that cold water is all the more reason to wear a pfd, yes, that's true , but falling in at 50 is totally survivable, if you work at it.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
JohnNH

Great advice,

Sounds like something you may have learned in the NAVY.

Ever wonder why the Navy issued bell bottoms?

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
jrc

Late Saturday afternoon, two young teen boys and two young teen girls are on the swim platform in Alton bay. One boy decides his best move is to dive into the lake. Before he jumps he takes off his shirt but leaves on his jeans. He swims back and does it again. The rest of the group is suitably impressed. Teen age hormones provided all the heat he needed as he walked around the parking lot soaking wet. When there's a cute girl around, any temperature is survivable
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Default ...still another challenge

Ok, so I'm flip-flopped off the stern while salmon trollin' along at about 1.4 mph, on a rainy Monday morning in May. Convinced that I can survive the 52 degree water, I manage to do the 'trousers into make-shift pfd manuever' and I'm floating lazily in the choppy waters above the 103' deep Timber Island trench hoping another boat will soon happen by to rescue me. Then, a distinct buzz is heard coming from the direction of Gilford. It's a 49' Fountain with three engines accelerating the fast boat along from 70-80mph.....and its' got that buzz-buzz-buzz going along and getting louder until there it is, almost on top of me. A big fiberglass hull complete with graphics. And then, it's buzz - chop - buzz - chop - buzz....pfffft...the air goes out of my size 52's.

Attracted by the shredded mess, two happy salmon come up to the surface to feed.

(Too bad FLL. Survivin' just the cold water is no guarantee on the big lake.)
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

FLL has quite the imagination.But it is always interesting.SS
Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Could have been worse Les, it could have been one of those kayakers who slowly paddled over to you and then said "Sorry, but I only have one life preserver, so I can't pick you up. Nor can I tow you in, because I have no one to be an observer. When I get back to camp, I'll call the marine patrol, but right now I gotta get out of here because there is what looks like a 49' Fountain heading our way..."
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 AM   #7
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
"...and I'm floating lazily in the choppy waters above the 103' deep Timber Island trench hoping another boat will soon happen by to rescue me..."
While 103' water depth is plenty deep, survivalists say that even 7' of water is dangerous without a PFD. To survive in those waters, they suggest you minimize your motions: Take a breath at the surface and exhale slowly while sinking to the bottom at those relatively shallow depths. When you need air, push off from the bottom, take another breath at the surface, and repeat.

(Sounds like a lot of work to me).

"Size 52 denims" though, give FLL an ample survival edge on the rest of us for cold and deep water rescue.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Trolling with what !?!!??

Quote:
Ok, so I'm flip-flopped off the stern while salmon trollin' along at about 1.4 mph, on a rainy Monday morning in May. Convinced that I can survive the 52 degree water, I manage to do the 'trousers into make-shift pfd manuever' and ... {snip}

All I have to say is that with your trousers made into a make-shift PFD, I hope the fish aren't biting that day
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
ITD

Default Trolling????

Quote:
Ok, so I'm flip-flopped off the stern while salmon trollin' along at about 1.4 mph, on a rainy Monday morning in May. Convinced that I can survive the 52 degree water, I manage to do the 'trousers into make-shift pfd manuever' and I'm floating lazily in the choppy waters above the 103' deep Timber Island trench hoping another boat will soon happen by to rescue me. Then, a distinct buzz is heard coming from the direction of Gilford. It's a 49' Fountain with three engines accelerating the fast boat along from 70-80mph.....and its' got that buzz-buzz-buzz going along and getting louder until there it is, almost on top of me. A big fiberglass hull complete with graphics. And then, it's buzz - chop - buzz - chop - buzz....pfffft...the air goes out of my size 52's.

Attracted by the shredded mess, two happy salmon come up to the surface to feed.

(Too bad FLL. Survivin' just the cold water is no guarantee on the big lake.)

I'm afraid there is more than one type of trolling going on here......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote