Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
dpg

Default Gel Coat Restoration

Hello - This morning I ordered a Gel Coat restoration system on line. I was wondering if anyone has used these products before and what your results were. Hey, for $70.00 even if it does half of what it claims it'll be an improvement! It happens to be called Vertglas Restoration System.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Silver Duck

DPG

From what I've heard, if you follow the directions "to the letter" the results can be fantastic.

However, I've also heard that when it needs to be re-done the old stuff needs to be stripped before another treatment can be applied, and that this is a real PITA to do.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
dpg

Ya, I guess I never thought of stripping it. Not sure but I believe the stuff just kind of "wears off" don't really know. The company does sell a stripper on their site now that I think of it. Oh well, looks terrible I'm going for it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Lightbulb Gelcoat repair

Let's face it. When the gelcoat is gone it's gone. All the boat magazines says there is now way to permanently repair faded gelcoat other than to paint over or replace it.
As for temporary restoration, 3M gelcoat cleaner and wax gets my vote. There is a heavy duty one for extreme oxidation as well as a medium. Unfortunately the wax only last about a month. I apply the Bright Star with teflon over the initial treatment. That will make it last the season. The teflon makes it a snap to keep clean.
A trick I learn is to dilute the 3M product in a bucket of water and 'paint' the effected area with a paint brush with it. Then use the buffer. This is a lot easier.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Smile

Hey that sounds like a great short cut. What is the ratio you use to dilute the 3M compound. Also do you use a regular orbital car buffer? Thanks for the insite.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Exclamation Shortcut

I just dilute it enough so that I can spread it with a paint brush.
I use a regular car orbital buffer. But make sure you use a 'cutting' pad rather than the normal buffing pad. If the cutting pad gets clogged I just run a screwdriver through the pad and 'fluff it' up.
Good luck in your detailing.

BTW. Did anyone use 'Australian Timber oil' by Cabot Stain on teak platforms and decks? I like to try it but need opinons.