Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Wicked Clown

Question Alternative to Expensive Sea-Doo 2-Stroke oil?

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Rotax Sea Doo oil they sell at DaSilva's. I have a 2000 Sea Doo GTX. I do not want to use something less quality. Just a little cheaper.

Has anyone tried this AMSOil product?

TIA
Wicked Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Cobalt 25

If you post this same question on BoaterEd.com in the Engines forum you will get lots of knowlegeable responses. I have learned a great deal from that site.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
chipj29

Wicked, please don't take this the wrong way, but you bought an expensive machine, why do you want to save a couple bucks on oil? I have a 99 GTX, same engine as yours. Dealer I bought it from recommended the XPS2 Sea Doo synthetic. He even threw in a couple gallons when I bought it. And that is all I have used since. Sure it is a little bit more expensive, but not that much. It gives me piece of mind to use what the dealer, and the manufacturer recommends. BTW, if I am not mistaken, Shade Tree Powersports (mail order company) sells it for quite a bit cheaper than your local dealer. Buy a case and save a bundle.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

WC,same deal with my Yamaha.You could use off the shelf replacements but the manufacturer likes to scare you into buying their products by saying the warranty will be void if other oils are used.I don't beleive there will ever be a problem with a suitable replacement and besides,your PWC is probably not under warranty anymore anyways.I've used replacements in the past and never saw any adverse effects.I'd ask dealers of other manufacturers and see what their answer is. SS
Old 03-17-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Rockdaddy

If you do change oils brands, be sure to empty & clean out the old oil.
Some different 2 cycle oils do not mix well with others and could cost you a motor
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Wicked Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Wicked, please don't take this the wrong way, but you bought an expensive machine, why do you want to save a couple bucks on oil? I have a 99 GTX, same engine as yours. Dealer I bought it from recommended the XPS2 Sea Doo synthetic. He even threw in a couple gallons when I bought it. And that is all I have used since. Sure it is a little bit more expensive, but not that much. It gives me piece of mind to use what the dealer, and the manufacturer recommends. BTW, if I am not mistaken, Shade Tree Powersports (mail order company) sells it for quite a bit cheaper than your local dealer. Buy a case and save a bundle.
Point well taken. I couldn't find the oil for sale on that site, but I sent them an e-mail.
You're right, I do want to use the best available oil. My family and myself have a blast on my "Red Bull".
Thanks!!!

Brian
Wicked Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #7
chipj29

Default Oil

Brian, here is a link to a page with their Ski Doo oil (same as for Sea Doo). I stand corrected, their price is not that much less than dealer. I must have been looking at the synthetic blend rather than the full synthetic. The blend is $25.99, the full synthetic is $33.99. That is not a bargain at all. Pretty much what I pay at my local dealer, and you would have to pay shipping with Shade Tree. I am not sure if I am going to try the synthetic blend for my Sea Doo, will probably stick with the full synthetic to be safe. Again, a bit more expensive, but the piece of mind is worth it to me.

http://www.shadetreesnowmobile.com/c...PSG&group=SOIL
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote