Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
Lakewinniboater

Cool Boat models and suggestions needed

Hi everyone,

I have a slight dilemma. We just bought a new house and it comes with a slip. However, the slip is limited to a boat that is no longer than 22'8''.

I will be keeping my boat for this year since I have the slip and what not paid for... my boat is 2003 28 ft. cruiser.

My question is..... we went to the boat show and I HATE everything under 24ft. However, I had an idea.... most of the 24 ft boats i like (because they have a head and better seating...like the Cobalt bow rider). My idea is.... if I can find a 24 ft that doesn't have an integrated swim platform and the hull is no more than 22'8'' (which most work out to be) CAN I find a REMOVABLE swimplatform?? Or one that will fold UP when docked? I know it sounds silly but I saw the Malibu ski boats have a removable swim platform and it got me to thinking!

Any ideas and who would i see for it?????? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Default I think it would be a custom job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinniboater

Hi everyone,

I have a slight dilemma. We just bought a new house and it comes with a slip. However, the slip is limited to a boat that is no longer than 22'8''.

I will be keeping my boat for this year since I have the slip and what not paid for... my boat is 2003 28 ft. cruiser.

My question is..... we went to the boat show and I HATE everything under 24ft. However, I had an idea.... most of the 24 ft boats i like (because they have a head and better seating...like the Cobalt bow rider). My idea is.... if I can find a 24 ft that doesn't have an integrated swim platform and the hull is no more than 22'8'' (which most work out to be) CAN I find a REMOVABLE swimplatform?? Or one that will fold UP when docked? I know it sounds silly but I saw the Malibu ski boats have a removable swim platform and it got me to thinking!

Any ideas and who would i see for it?????? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy

In a direct answer to your question above, the good news is that I'm sure that you can find one (swim platform) or have one custom made. There are pre-made platforms in the West Marine catalog as well as phone #'s for a company that'll make you a custom platform from dimensions you supply. The trick is to make it removable (or fold-able ?). Most of the "add on" type of platforms have either L brackets or strut running from the outer edge of the platform to a point low on the transom (for support). I can envision brackets on the transom that would allow the L brackets on a removable platform to slide in from above and then lock in place. I can't direct you to someone who could make something like this for you but perhaps a marina could.

Alternately perhaps you could have one custom made that folds. The first few to 6 inches would be rigidly attached to the transom. The remainder would be hinged across the platform and fold up when not in use. When dropped into place you'd need some added support which could be done either wire cables from above (arrg, trip hazard) or swinging arms from under the platform. The arms would pivot from under the rigid section and swing out to support the extended section (think of an old drop leaf table). This might be easier to do than a removable and answers the storage issue.

In both cases above I suspect it'll be expensive. I recall looking at swim platforms made from Starboard in the W.M. catalog and they were around $800. Customizing one of these to be removable of fold-able might double the cost easily. How badly do you need a swim platform, might a front loading deck boat suffice ?

On a related note I'm note sure about what you're looking for in a boat. I was thinking about boats that don't have an integrated swim platform (moulded into the hull). Cobalt, Four Winns and Monterey came to mind. Looking at the Cobalt 240 and 226 I found that the former is listed as 24' w/o the added platform. The 226 meets your 22'8" requirement but is a "22' boat" which I assume you don't want. Similar situations exist for the other 2 manufacturers I mentioned. So I'm not sure how easy it'll be to find a 24' boat w/o a swim platform that really is < 22'8" hull length. Have a look at the websites for the above and perhaps you could clarify what you'd be looking for in a boat. How "hard" is your 22'8" requirement, would a few extra inches be OK ?

Hope this helps ....
Old 02-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Slip length

Keep in mind that marinas do not all measure boat length the same way. Our marina measures from the front most protruding point, including pulpits to the rear most protruding point including an outdrive or motor. Other marinas will use the manufacturer's published length overall. Still others may use the number on the side of the boat. If the boat says 240, then it is a 24', no matter what the actual length is. Make sure you know your marina's rules. If you post the marina's name I am sure someone will be able to tell you the rules.

Some people with longer boats keep the big boat at the island and use a smaller boat to get to the shore and the slip.

Good Luck

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
itchin for fishin

Check out a Sea Ray Sundeck 220. I have a 210 and it has plenty of room, a head and really rides great. They did have a 240 at the boat show that is very similar. Another that was very close is the Crownlines. Good luck.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Cool ....my two 1/2 cents!

Yo... Ahoy there 28'er, what about one of them not-so-old 20 somethin' foot Boston Whalers from the 1980's The sort that looks like a Banana Boat. They was built when Boston Whaler's were REAL Boston Whalers and not the new & "improved" style. Just like in their tv ads now playing, go get that chain saw and trim down that Whaler hull for a purrfect fit. .....& it still runs just fine! It's just like slicing up a Pizzerama $4.99 pizza, only costs more but doesn't taste as good. Ahoy...
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Grady223

Default 22'8" Slip

Of course, buy ar Grady White Tournament 225 (bowrider). Comes in at about 22'8" with the engine, you'll never need to buy another boat. Here is the website to check it out. http://www.gradywhite.com/225/

Beside that, why can't your boat ovehang the slip by a few inches - you said its at your place - water fronmt I assume so the dock is private. Set up the tie lines and cleats to safely accomodate your boat. Shouldn't be a problem.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
Lakewinniboater

Angry Thanks everyone!

Well, I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and not have everything i want!

I currently have a 2003 Larson cruiser and still wanted some of the ammenities! This slip is not in a marina but in an association. The slips are actually 24 ft but they are ADAMENT about it not going over 22'8'''. TRUST me. Someone in the past spent a lot of legal money trying to change it ... and lost! The boat I like that I would "settle" for is the Four Winns 205 sundowner... however, it is really 23'. URGH!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Fun4us

Default Location

Is this slip in Alton Bay?
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Default How about another Larson ?

Quote:
Well, I guess I am just going to have to suck it up and not have everything i want!

I currently have a 2003 Larson cruiser and still wanted some of the ammenities! This slip is not in a marina but in an association. The slips are actually 24 ft but they are ADAMENT about it not going over 22'8'''. TRUST me. Someone in the past spent a lot of legal money trying to change it ... and lost! The boat I like that I would "settle" for is the Four Winns 205 sundowner... however, it is really 23'. URGH!!!!!!
It seems that you're looking for a cuddy to keep some of the amenities of your present (larger) cruiser. If the association is really that strict about it's 22' 8" rule and won't allow the 23' Sundowner 205 (you could say it's only 20.5', would they really ever know ? ) perhaps you could look into Larson's Cabrio 220. It's listed as 22' 1" with it's integrated swim platform. I also thought of Sea Ray's 225 Weekender but alas it's longer than 22' 8" (again would the association ever know ? Do they break out the tape measure for every new boat Keep saying 225, 225, 22' 5" .. ) Their 215 Weekender meets your length requirement but I don't know if the deck layout is acceptable. Both the Larson and Sea Ray have the cruiser attribute of a (somewhat) raised sole so that the seating is (just) above the engine and you don't waste (IMHO) space on a sunpad / engine cover.

http://www.larsonboats.com/cabrio/cabrio220.asp

http://www.searay.com/online_brochur...pe=1,9,15,19,5

FWIW - Although we ended up with a cruiser some years ago, we did look at cuddy's and I really liked the way the Four Winns opened up the cabin with the "extra" door.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Lakewinniboater

Red face unfortunately

Unfortunately, I have been told they will break out the tape measure!! SILLY isn't it. The amount of money that we paid for our homes on the lake and do so willing to enjoy all it has to offer.... and a few have to make it a pain in the arse.

THANK YOU again. Any other suggestions... keep 'em coming. THERE has to be a way!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Lakewinniboater

Talking Fun4Us

Fun4Us... yes the slip is in Alton Bay!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
TomC

Default how about trading spots?

could you post an ad in the classifieds suggesting a slip-swap? if someone nearby (neighbor, etc) has a boat short enough to be used on your dock, but has no length restrictions on their slip that would prevent your boat from docking there, perhaps you could work out an exchange?

or, if its allowed, rent your slip (there is always demand) and apply the income to a rental slip elsewhere for your boat..

a couple of thoughts, anyway.. good luck
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
Fun4us

Default Rent Slip

What about renting a dock from one of you neighbors. There are alot of docks empty in the area. If you are in keyweyden I know about the size limit on the docks. Sad part is half of their docks are empty all summer. But I guess Buy laws are Buy laws.
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
Lakewinniboater

Default thanks fun4us

yes it is keewaydin...... yes LOTS of empty slips and I am MORE than willing to PAY for one of the empty slips so that I could keep our boat. Having two slips would eliminate the costly boating exchange!

However, from what I have been told it is best NOT TO EVEN ASK! That will just create more issue's. I do know what I am getting into but the location is worth it for us. The beach is great for the kids and we have friends in there. The way I look at it is..... the members of the association are going to continue to change and with new members over the years... hopefully, rules can change!

Thanks for the help. I think I am close to developing the removable/flip up swimplatform..... just don't know who will build it. LOL!!!

Keep the idea's coming!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #15
Grady223

Default Try this on for size

This Grady has a cabin and with engine will come in under 22'8". With the 4 stroke Yamaha you never know you are running.

http://www.gradywhite.com/208/
Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Thumbs up Grady White....very pricey!

Before someone tells me that 'you get what you pay for', Grady White is a very expensive boat. Over in the classified, there is a 1998 Grady White 208 w/ a Yamaha 175 and trailer for $29000. Wow, & ouch! How much for a new 2005 model? I can go all over the Lake in my aluminum 1974 Starcraft Starchief w/ a Suzuki 70hp 4-stroke -18'! What gives with all these big expensive boats that everyone seems to want or have? Small boats are much more fun!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #17
gtxrider

Default You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Before someone tells me that 'you get what you pay for', Grady White is a very expensive boat. Over in the classified, there is a 1998 Grady White 208 w/ a Yamaha 175 and trailer for $29000. Wow, & ouch! How much for a new 2005 model? I can go all over the Lake in my aluminum 1974 Starcraft Starchief w/ a Suzuki 70hp 4-stroke -18'! What gives with all these big expensive boats that everyone seems to want or have? Small boats are much more fun!
And easier to use you don't need a crew to dock the smaller boats! I guess compromises need to be made. To quote the Rolling Stones "you can't always get what you want".
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 AM   #18
Grady223

Default Different Strokes for Different Folks

You can go anywhere on the Lake in any weather with that 20' Grady. I have a 22' and am an Islander and need the assurance that I can get on and off the Island and accross the Broad at any time. Besides, the reason that that 7 year old boat is selling for better than two thirds of its original value is it will still be around in 25 years.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #19
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Folding swim platform concept

Quote:
{snip} I think I am close to developing the removable/flip up swimplatform..... just don't know who will build it. LOL!!!

Keep the idea's coming!!!

I have a revision on what I'd do for a folding swim platform. As before I would have a fixed portion that is somewhere like 4" - 6" long permanently affixed to the transom. Unlike the brackets shown in the link below I'd have a U section, upside down attached to the horizontal bar of 4"-6" in length and a piece of flat stock (instead of tube) to triangulate the bracket. On the folding section I'd have another upside down U section running from just inside the aft end of the platform to 3.5"-5.5" past the forward, folding edge. The outside width of this U would be such that it just fits into the inside width if the stationary U section(s). Some method to lock and unlock the sections would be needed otherwise it'll bounce all over the place when in motion. Some rubber pads to stop the rattling would no doubt be good too. You could still have a triangulating support tube going from low on the transom to the aft end of the folding swim platform but it would have to telescope. Perhaps if the U sections were big enough you could do without the additional support tube. A lot depends on the boat and how the platform would attach to the transom. I would definitely build a mock-up from plywood or MDF and test fit it to the boat before I drill holes or cut expensive teak or Starboard. I hope my not to scale sketch below helps.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001&langId=-1

http://mastercatalog04.westmarine.co...ckProdId=13026
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
jkjoshuatree

Default Cobalt

The 22 foot Cobalt is an absolutely gorgeous boat but rather expenxive. And you have the option of a swimplatform-although I'm guessing you probably want it.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #21
Lakewinniboater

Talking Thanks again everyone!

I think we are going to go with the Four Winns. I had a 2001 205 Sundowner prior to our Cruiser.

The new model has the pump out head that I really want and a ton of storage and a sink up on deck.

I don't think we will buy right now..... still working on the swimplatform thing!!!!!

Thank you again for all the help