Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2005, 08:04 AM   #1
pmj

Default West Alton Marina

Does anyone here keep their boat at West Alton Marina?
I am wondering if this is a suitable place (depth wise) for a 2 foot draft 22' sailboat. Also wondering if anyone knows the availability status there..is there a waiting list?

Thanks for any help.

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I keep my bowrider at WAM. I believe the overall depth of the channel would be a safe 4-5 feet, but I honestly don't keep my eye on the depthfinder so I just don't know. there are a couple of sailboats in there and a lot of Larsons and other cruiser types. Certainly give them a call 875-7788 and leave a message. I don't know how often they will be down at the shop, so it may take a little time to get back to you this time of year. Fortier family are fine people and we enjoy keeping our boat there. Real family atmosphere, gas dock with good attendants, bathhouses for the people keeping their boats there.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Steve C.

We kept our bowrider there, and it was great. We were trying to sell the boat, so we ended up taking it out. Never sold the boat and wish we were still at WAM. We are on a waiting list ourselves.

Steve
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
pmj

Default thanks for the WAM responses

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. We stopped by WAM today and spoke with someone who happened to be available. Unfortunately the channel cannot accomodate a sailboat 2 foot draft in the fall months so it's back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.
pmj
Old 01-22-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
Rinkerfam

PMJ, that's too bad. We have kept our boat at WAM for several years. I can't say enough good things about them. They are friendly, honest and a joy to do business with. They even helped me fix a faulty ignition switch on my brand new boat last season, free of charge. Imagine having several friends up for the day, (Saturday no-less) and your boat wont start. I simply asked if someone could take a look at it, and within 10 minutes I had a knowledgeable technician on board. He diagnosed the problem, (a loose ignition wire), fixed it and had us on our way in no time. Many kudos to WAM from me!!
P.S. Back in the early days when I was trailering our first boat I had a similar experience at Silver Sands. I was able to get a jump-start from the service department, on a boat I didn't even purchase there, within minutes of requesting help (again at no charge). Maybe I've just been lucky. These two marinas however, in my opinion, are willing to go out of there way for their customers.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

PMJ...check with Winnipesaukee Divers. Look under members list and the second page of the "W's". He has a large sailboat that he keeps at Wolfeboro Corinthian yacht club in Wolfeboro... Also check with Roberts Cove Marina...they have a few sailboats in there, I think. Fays Marina in Gilford has a bunch of Sailboats in Smith's Cove. Sorry WAM didn't work out. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
pmj

We were disappointed also. We had heard from others that WAM was a fine organization to do business with. We have spoken with the owner at Roberts Cove but the waiting list is very very long there. We had hoped to support local business since we live in Alton but Fays may be the only alternative. We have looked into WCYC. I do wish that there were public moorings available for Alton residents.

Thanks again for you help.

pmj