Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
prostar190

Default Safe Boater's Certificate

I recently received my safe boater's liscence and was wondering something. I was wondering what happens if you get stopped by MP and you have forgotten your liscence at home or at your house in NH, what happens to you? Do they have some sort of data base on all the MP boats to look up your name or are you just out of luck?
prostar190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Frdxplorer

I have often wondered this as I frequently hop in the little 13' whaler and scoot around after having been in the lake without my wallet. It is just not always the first thing on my mind to grab the proper ID. I try to remember, but sometimes it just happens. I suggest making a photocopy to keep somewhere safe in your boat. I can't imagine that an MP would try to give you the shakedown for having forgotten it if you can prove that you have taken the course etc.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
Wing Nut

Cool

I'd agree - the best thing to do is make a photo copy (laminate it if you can) and keep it in your boat. That's what I do with my fishing license so I'm never without it.

My wife just got her certificate and she's not around right now for me to ask her what would happen if you get caught without it. Maybe they'd punish you by making you swim home or worse yet, they'd force you to say your ABC's backward.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Wing Nut

Got some info - I don't know if they can radio in and do a database check, but the fines are:

$50 for a first offense and $250 for any subsequent offense
Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Nut
Got some info - I don't know if they can radio in and do a database check, but the fines are:

$50 for a first offense and $250 for any subsequent offense
Live free or die
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
jrc

this the actual law from the NH website, you have 48 hours to show the MP the certificate:

270-D:11 Possession Required; Penalty. –
I. Any person required to have a safe boater education certificate shall:
(a) Possess the certificate when operating a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of the state.
(b) Present the certificate upon the demand of a marine patrol officer.
II. No person charged with a violation of this section shall be convicted if, within a period of 48 hours, the person presents to the officer evidence that he or she held a valid safe boater education certificate which was in effect at the time of the violation.
III. Enforcement of this section shall be accomplished only as a secondary action when an operator of a motorized or registered vessel has been cited or charged with a violation or some other offense.
IV. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty of a violation punishable by a fine of $50 for a first offense and $250 for any subsequent offense.
Source. 2000, 52:3, eff. Jan. 1, 2002. 2002, 272:3, eff. May 18, 2002.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

This question was asked of a Marine Patrol officer at our lake association meeting last week. He indicated the 48 hour rule, and also indicated that a photocopy of the original would suffice in most cases.

It was also interesting to learn that photo id's are also requested. He recommended a photocopy of your drivers license also.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote