Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
colt17

Default Dogs On Boats

This past winter we got a new lab who we would like to include this summer out on the boat. Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to introduce Bear to the boat? We have had him swimming plenty, but never in open water. Anyone have any advice to lake life with a lab??
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
KBoater

Default Boating Magazine

Although it has not made their web site yet, this months Boating Magazine has a good article about dogs on boats and what you should do with them.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
kchace

In my experience, labs and Goldens take to boats pretty well. Here's a link to a couple of good articles at BoatUS about pets on board.

Ken

http://www.boatus.com/pets/articles.asp
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
PROPELLER

Just bring him along, he & your family will work out any issues. We have a 6 foot leash strapped to a rail on the boat when we want her to stay put. But I would not leave him strapped indefinitely. If the boat goes down you may not be able to unleash him. We only use it to get gas or something like that.

We also have a PFD for the dog. Not only is it safer if the boat goes down or he goes overboard but the handle on the back makes it alot easier to pluck her out of the water from the swim platform. I recommend Outward Hound PFD's. They are the most well made & it wraps secure around the neck & it vecro's snug under the belly.

http://www.bestpetsupply.com/brands/Outward-hound/
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
jrc

On the swimming front the biggest issue will be getting him back in the boat. A wet lab will be too heavy to lift. Our lab loved the pool and we taught him to use the ladder, you should try that with your swim ladder. You may want to try it when you have a back-up path available, like a beach and a dock.

Another issue is where will he do his business. If your talking short trips he can hold it. But if your out all day you're going to need a plan. I've seen people bring there dogs onto private land near sandbars, but I'm sure the landowners would not be happy. Some of the public docks have nearby areas.

Finally, watch how tired he gets. Dogs don't plan very well. They don't make sure they have enough energy to get back from where ever they go. That's why some people but life jackets on dogs, even swimming breeds.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Labs love water

Dogs can have a great time on the boat, but need to be introduced to it carefully when a pup so that its a good experience. If you have any problem getting the dog in the boat at first, just throw a tennis ball in the boat and the dog will jump right in. The tennis ball can also be fun playing keep-away while in the water with the dog. We trained our dog to come to the ladder after swimming and then help her up by the collar or if we are in the water, push her up by the butt. Sometimes she will get caught on the anchor rope or the side of the ladder, so its important to watch for when the dog decides it is time to get back on board. One trick that somehow worked for us after the dog is on the landing, is commanding her to "shake" while on the ladder. Less water in the boat that way. Beware - a wet dog contains a lot of water, and can soak everything on the boat. We've tried the doggy life vests, but it just didn't work out. I think it depends on the breed. Oh, keep a water dish on board and make sure there is some shade the dog can hide under.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
Rinkerfam

With respect to getting the dog back on the boat, check out WWW.pawsaboard.com. They sell a ramp that attaches to boat ladders. It's a bit pricey, but it may be a worthwhile investment for a large breed dog.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
DT Diesel

We have 2 Labradors that are always on board when we go out on the lake. They're unproductive 3rd and 4th mates but they always love the swimming or just cruising around with the wind in their fur. If your lab is outgoing as most of the breed is, I'm sure he/she will not have any objection what-so-ever to boating!

We've tried to get ours to use the swim platform to do their business but no such luck, (we have a Four Winns with a huge extended platform so its real easy to clean off by reversing hard until a wave or 2 goes over the platform). So we usually wind up planning on docking a few times during the day to let the dogs do their business, needless to say the plastic bags and paper towels are always on board as you never know when nature will call for them.

One company I would recommend is Ruffwear.com, they sell lifejackets with handles which makes hauling the dogs back on board real easy. The bigger of the 2 weighs in at 85lbs and the jacket makes it easy to pull him on board unassisted. Plus you never have to worry about them tiring in water way too cold and deep to assist them without risking your own safety.
DT Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
colt17

Thanks for all the help!! All we need is some sun and we should be good to go.
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
JG1222

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Diesel
We've tried to get ours to use the swim platform to do their business but no such luck, (we have a Four Winns with a huge extended platform so its real easy to clean off by reversing hard until a wave or 2 goes over the platform).
You've got to be kidding.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
DT Diesel

About what?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
PROPELLER

Winnipesaukee is a no discharge lake. Meaning NOTHING including feces & urine is to be dumped, pumped or discharged into the lake. It also means no soap for your boat or yourself should be used while in the water.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
DT Diesel

I understand all of the pertinent rues and regs. regarding that perfectly well. For the record I have never allowed my pets to do that on Winni or any other inland lake in NH...please keep in mind that there are other bodies of water (i.e. the open ocean) where the regulations are different.

I regret if anyone mistook the intent of that statement and will try to refrain from making any reference to any non-winni boating activities if that is how this forum is managed. As nice is Winni is there are in fact other lakes, rivers and oceans out there where one's years of boating knowledge skills and abilities come from.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

What the heck are you talking about?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
What the heck are you talking about?

I think in his first post he said it is ok to wash dog doo into the lake but his dogs don't cooperate by going on the poop deck (swim platform) so he hasn't done this on a lake.

In the last post he says that its only ok to wash dog doo into the ocean.

I hope this helps.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote