Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
GWC...

Default FYI - Lights on Non-Power Boats...

Saf-C 403.16 Lights on Non-Power Boats.

(a) Boats propelled by oars, paddles or other human or natural device except sails, operated on any public water, shall, between sunset and sunrise, display one white light in a conspicuous position, so placed as to show all around the horizon.

Link: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c400.html

Question: Does a blinking (strobe) light comply?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
ApS

Post What's "Legal" aside...

Technicalities aside, night boating can be a real "Iffy".

Last year, three things were mentioned here that transcend what's "legal":

1) A swim raft was announced that it had "broken free" and its location wasn't known for >24 hours.

2) A pair of boats passed before my eyes -- before sundown -- to the West. And 1½ hours later, now in the dark, passed by again to the East. The occupants were two small boys, and the older boy was getting the two of them home -- tied together. He was using a single oar. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8&postcount=22

3) Nyctalopia. (Night-blindness) affects 1 out of 50 boaters. Additionally, one's night vision is also affected negatively by radial keratotamy and LASIK operations.

In the case of the latter, the operator ("driver") is clearly the only arbiter of how carefree his night boating can be.

In the case of "the boys", I have no idea what to offer: Calling the MPs was probably the worst thing I did (or could have done) that night.

Although the swim raft had reflectors on it, how many boaters use their docking lights to boat at night?

Answer: A few. One out of 50? Those having night-blindness?

We're left with "Common Sense".

Too bad.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Although the swim raft had reflectors on it, how many boaters use their docking lights to boat at night?
Unfortunately, using your docking lights while underway is illegal. One night I inadvertently had mine on and was stopped by the MP

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 04-20-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
PROPELLER

Default Docking lights?

Many boats do not have docking lights, if you are referring the ones that look like headlights mounted in the bow. I have a spotlight on the bow but that should not be left on constantly.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
jrc

Default No boater education...

is required for human powered boat operators, so how does a kayaker know that she needs lights? Seems like a pretty big hole in the education law. Same goes for operators of sailboats, and small outboards, doesn't make much sense.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Probably not

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
Saf-C 403.16 Lights on Non-Power Boats.

(a) Boats propelled by oars, paddles or other human or natural device except sails, operated on any public water, shall, between sunset and sunrise, display one white light in a conspicuous position, so placed as to show all around the horizon.

Link: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c400.html

Question: Does a blinking (strobe) light comply?
I don't think so. For the time the strobe is off there is no light and thus it would not be in compliance. Now if the strobe were to alternate btw low and high settings .... I've always wondered about boats running with a transom light (usually low to the water) plus the req'd all-around/anchor light. There's another rule re: not displaying other lights which may be confused with the req'd lighting. Does a transom light used when underway violate this rule ?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Evenstar

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
is required for human powered boat operators, so how does a kayaker know that she needs lights? Seems like a pretty big hole in the education law. Same goes for operators of sailboats, and small outboards, doesn't make much sense.
Maybe she knows how to read and owns a copy of New Hampshire's Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities.

Last edited by Evenstar; 04-20-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
jrc

Default No good deed go unpunished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
Maybe she knows how to read and owns a copy of New Hampshire's Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities.
This whole thread seemed to be leading to the conclusion that the blinking light you mentioned, was not a proper light, at least according to the NH laws. Hence my comments on the ability to canoe, sail, etc, without even reading the rules. No offense intended. I still think anyone operating around large boats on a busy lake should read the rules and take the test.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #9
Evenstar

Wink

jrc, I didn't take any offense to your post at all. I was just trying to point out that just because a kayaker isn't required to take a boating course, that doesn't mean that they don't know the boating regulations. All serious kayakers that I know, who paddle on larger lakes, know the boating regulations very well. And I'm not against requiring all boaters to pass a safe boating exam. In fact, I think that's a good idea.

GWC is just trying to push me off this forum, because I stood up to him in another thread. His comment, "Does a blinking (strobe) light comply?" was made because I mentioned that I carry an emergency light and that "it even blinks". I never said that it only blinks. It actually has three brightness settings, along with a blinking mode.

The other thing is that my light is not intended for navigation. It is only my emergency light, just in case I'm delayed and end up returning to the shore a bit late. This has never happened, but I like to be prepared for the unexpected. Yet I'm being criticized in this forum for carrying an emergency light. How silly is that?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
PROPELLER

JRC's point is well taken. Many operators of human powered vessels may know the boating rules & many may not. The only way to attempt to insure that they do would be for them to show some knowledge.

Many power boat operators know how to read & own New Hampshires handbook of boating laws & regulations but that does not mean they read it. Thats why we now have the boater education certificate.

Evenstar, no one is trying to push you off this forum. Your posts might be better received without the sarcasm. Your original post responding to JRC could be considered rude & sarcastic. JRC was only pointing out that there maybe people who use canoes, kayaks or whatever & are not aware that they should not be out before sunrise or after sunset without proper lighting.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 04-21-2005 at 08:21 AM.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

Talking Sometimes, you have to break the rules

There is no doubt that you have to be safe, but there is also something very special about being out on a warm, clear, new moon night, in a kayak or canoe, without the lights on to wreck your night vision. If you stay in among the rocks, closer to 150 from shore, and are very careful - it can be done safely without a light. The old rules allowed this. You could carry a flashlight to be used in case there was danger approaching - but did not have to shine it all the time. Sometimes you have to break the rules.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #12
Evenstar

Unhappy

Propeller, my reply to jrc, wasn't meant as anything but an honest answer. He asked a question, which I felt had been directed at me, and I answer it, as briefly as possible.

If I make any additional comments in a reply, I'm accused of highjacking a thread. When I give a simple, brief reply, it's taken as being "rude & sarcastic". Sometimes I just can't win.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
jrc

Default Text is an imperfect medium

I guess I should learn from my own mistakes. Text like these forums or emails can be misleading. Answers or comments that the writer intends to honest and sincere, can be mis-interpreted.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:29 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default .....another close call

On tuesday afternoon while pushing my boatlift into position I was standing in about four feet of water and thinking that the water was pretty cold. Anyway, for the last hour or so, a white 14' aluminum boat with two fisherman had been trolling around with an electric motor a few hundred yards out from buoy 3. Then, all of a sudden, from out of the east, baroooom, bubba, budda,....barooom, budda, budda, barooom....a white 32' Baha Outlaw w/ grahics & open pipes comes thundering past buoy 3 at about 65 mph. What a whole lot of noise & commotion onto what had been a very serene scene. At least, it left as quickly as it arrived.
How close did it come to the 14' row boat? Maybe 100' Did it see the boat what with all that speed and the sunlight.........a good question?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #15
restauranteer

Thumbs down What's in this soup, anyway????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
......a good question?

Hmmm,

Here's a better question.....

What, pray tell, does this post have to do with this thread????

Inquiring cooks need to know!

Bon apetit!
restauranteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Coastal Laker

Default Proper Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
This whole thread seemed to be leading to the conclusion that the blinking light you mentioned, was not a proper light, at least according to the NH laws. Hence my comments on the ability to canoe, sail, etc, without even reading the rules. No offense intended. I still think anyone operating around large boats on a busy lake should read the rules and take the test.
A strobe light is not the proper light for a non-powered vessel as described. No flashing light would be acceptable under the Rules for this purpose. Reason is that a flashing light is typically a navigation aid and could confuse boaters. While any light is better than no light, you're better off being a prepared boater and have a fixed light (like a flashlight) on hand. Powerboats should also carry some sort of battery operated fixed light in case of an electrical problem.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Lo and behold...yes, I tink that maybe you are onto something here. I tink I agree with you. What does my response have to do with a navigation light for a non- motor boat like a kayak, canoe, rowboat or even, a surf board. Not a whole lot.....it was an obtuse, peripheral thought...way out on a tangent, or someting. As long as I brought it up, I wonder if that 32' white Baja Outlaw was the same one involved in the fatal accident of August, 2002. Eh....soups on!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #18
Coastal Laker

Default transom light

A transom light (officially referred to as a stern light) as you describe on a powerboat MUST be used in conjunction with a masthead light to be legal. Under the Rules, you are required to have 360 degrees of white light. The transom (stern) light covers 135 of those 360. That leaves 225 degrees for the masthead. No masthead on your boat???? That's why you see the 360 all-around light that is so popular on small boats.

Check this out for more clarity on the subject...
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/Arcs.htm#
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:06 PM   #19
Island-Ho

Question How about more than 360

I apologize for the slight tangent, but this is related. I have a combination running and anchor light on a power boat. I can't call this a mast head light - no mast-. While running it shows forward 225 degrees only, and in conjunction with the 135 degree stern light I have 360 degree coverage. At anchor, it displays 360 degrees, but turns off the red/green port/stbd. Would it be acceptable to display this with 360 degrees showing in addition to the stern light? My gut feeling says NO, only one 360 degree white light is ALLOWED on a boat under xx feet, xx being 22 in my case. Discussion??

I also concur with previous posts regarding the strobe: This is not an acceptable substitute for a constant 360 degree white light.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #20
Mee-n-Mac

Question 360 degree coverage or 360 plus 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
I apologize for the slight tangent, but this is related. I have a combination running and anchor light on a power boat. I can't call this a mast head light - no mast-. While running it shows forward 225 degrees only, and in conjunction with the 135 degree stern light I have 360 degree coverage. At anchor, it displays 360 degrees, but turns off the red/green port/stbd. Would it be acceptable to display this with 360 degrees showing in addition to the stern light? My gut feeling says NO, only one 360 degree white light is ALLOWED on a boat under xx feet, xx being 22 in my case. Discussion??

I also concur with previous posts regarding the strobe: This is not an acceptable substitute for a constant 360 degree white light.
I added the bold above because it's pretty much what I was refering to. What I see are boats underway that display a stern light (though I'm not sure it's a true stern light per COLREGS or just a transom boarding light) plus an all-around light (full 360 deg vs masthead 225 deg coverage). Now per NH regs

403.15 "Lights on all motorboats" we have;

(a) All motorboats, including boats propelled by outboard motors, shall while under way carry lights with distances of visibility on clear nights shown as follows:
(1) For motorboats of classes A and I:
a. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon; and
b. A combined light on the fore part of the vessel and lower than the white light aft, showing green to starboard and red to port, so fixed as to throw the light from right ahead to 2 points abaft the beam of their respective sides;
(I add : this is the common R&G "nav" lights plus white "all-around" or "anchor" light)
(2) For motorboats of classes II and III:
a. A bright white light in the fore part of the vessel as near the stem as practicable, so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 20 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light 10 points on each side of the vessel, namely, from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on either side;
b. A bright white light aft to show all around the horizon, and higher than the white light forward;
(I add : this is a forward masthead plus an aft all-around light)
c. On the starboard side, a green light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the starboard side;
d. On the port side, a red light so constructed as to show an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 10 points of the compass, so fixed as to throw the light from straight ahead to 2 points abaft the beam on the port side; and
e. The side lights shall be fitted with inboard screens of sufficient height and so set as to prevent these lights from being seen across the bow.
(b) Each motorboat shall carry only the combined light or separate side lights as appropriate to its class. Additionally, one white light at the stern so constructed that it shall show an unbroken light over an area of the horizon of 12 points of the compass so fixed as to show the light 6 points from right aft on each side of the vessel.
(I add : so sentence #1 says you can have a combined or separated "nav" lights and sentence #2 says ?? only a "stern light" ?? huh ??)
(c) When propelled by both sail and machinery a motorboat shall carry the lights required by this section for a motorboat propelled by machinery only.
(d) Every white light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least 2 miles. Every colored light prescribed by this section shall be of such character as to be visible at a distance of at least one mile. The word "visible" in this subsection, when applied to lights, means visible on a dark night with clear atmosphere.
(e) Any motorboat may carry and exhibit the lights required by the federal requirements for preventing collisions at sea, 1960, International Rules of the Road, federal act of September 24, 1963, 33 USC 1051-1053, 1061-1094, 77 Stat. 194-210, as amended, in lieu of the lights required by this section.

I've underlined and bolded the part above that I'm trying to understand. It prohibits lighting contrary to the rules but seems to allow a stern light, as Capt Costal Laker mentions,(?) in addition to (?) an all around light (one interpretation of the bolded part above). But the sentence contruction* of b) is such that I'm unsure. Note that the COLREGS Rule 23 allow a second masthead light in addition to a masthead & stern light combo for any boat, or a single all-around for our sized boats. In other words for >50m LOA you have to have 2 mastheads plus stern plus side (aka "nav") lights. For < 50m you may eliminate the 2'nd masthead (aft) and for <12m you may replace the remaining masthead plus stern combo with an "all-around". Nowhere can I find mentioned a stern light plus an all-around. I thought the NH rules were basicaly equivalent to the US COLREGS, though they would seem to be more restrictive wrt to masthead vs all-around for differing boat sizes.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...les/Rule23.htm

Perhaps the good Capt's CL or Al can further clarify this and help us out

ps - yes I'm aware it bad to start a sentence with "but", but I'm just an engineer and lucky I can even spell at all let alone form coherent sentences

pps - 1 point = 11.25 deg so 6 points is 67.5 deg and + to - 6 points = 135 deg coverage. 20 pts is 225 deg or +/- 112.5 deg = 90 deg + 22.5 deg so the COLREGS and NH SAF rules are the same wrt arcs of coverage.