Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
codeman671

Default Need a slip in the Gilford/West Alton Area

I am looking for a slip in the Gilford/West Alton area for the seaon. I have a 23' boat that I will be commuting to an island on, but would prefer a slip that will hold a 32' boat in case I decide to come in on my big boat (it will be kept at the island normally). I will look at either option. Marina or private dock ok. MVYC will probably not work because as a renter not an owner pets are not welcome even though I am not using the facilities, just loading and going. I want to stay away from the Weirs as well. HELP!!!!!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

West Alton Marina 875-7788

Island Marina Assoc 875-3067

I keep my 19 Ft Bowrider at WAM. Nice facility. Talk to them, but I'm figure you will find that no matter where you go, if you want to bring in the Big Boat and leave it in your slip, you probably will need to rent a 30 Ft slip for the season. That extra 7' of boat just may get in the way of other boater!!!!

Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
codeman671

Default upthesaukee

I am sorry I did not thank you before for your reply on this topic, I certainly appreciate the information. Another member on a soapbox informed me that I was rude for not replying on the forum with a thank-you, this was certainly not my intention.

See you on the lake!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Lakewinniboater

Hi there,

I agree with Upthesaukee... WAM (west alton marina) is very good. I have a 28 ft cruiser there! This will be our third year and I have to admit, I don't have any complaints about them.

IF for any reason you can't find a slip.... I may know of a private one that may be available. Contact me at lakewinniboater@aol.com

Good luck,
Wendy
Lakewinniboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I am sorry I did not thank you before for your reply on this topic, I certainly appreciate the information. Another member on a soapbox informed me that I was rude for not replying on the forum with a thank-you, this was certainly not my intention.

See you on the lake!
Codeman671 : I do hope we have a chance to meet face to face, and then you will know that I took absolutely no offense to "no thank you comments". I am only too happy to give my opinion (hopefully viewed as helpful and constructive) and if the info or opinion is of assistance in making your choice, I'm happy!! So your thanks is gratefully accepted, although not necessary. See you on the lake or "in the area"!!!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Sandy Beach

Lightbulb Was Codeman671 rude?

Quote:
I don't believe you were rude Codeman. You were following forum guidelines:
Have something of substance to say. Bring something to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Forum Guidelines
Not all messages must be momentous but we prefer messages which actually contribute something of substance. Try not to post one-liners or "chat-room" like replies.
The old version of the forum, as I recall, admonished us not to simply post a "thank you", "LOL" or "Great post" response. It appears that Webmaster has lightened up on that somewhat. I know it is hard to resist such one line responses and sometimes a one line response is justified. It can be rewarding to be thanked in public. However, if we all tossed in our short, "Thank you's" to each of the great contributions to the forum we would run out of storage space on the server and have too many messages to read. As UpTheSaukee said, your thanks are appreciated but not necessary.

That's my opinion. Codeman, you were NOT rude.

Last edited by Sandy Beach; 04-08-2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: fix typo
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Commodore

Lightbulb Loophole for Codeman at Mountain View

Quote:
I am looking for a slip in the Gilford/West Alton area for the seaon. I have a 23' boat that I will be commuting to an island on, but would prefer a slip that will hold a 32' boat in case I decide to come in on my big boat (it will be kept at the island normally). I will look at either option. Marina or private dock ok. MVYC will probably not work because as a renter not an owner pets are not welcome even though I am not using the facilities, just loading and going. I want to stay away from the Weirs as well. HELP!!!!!
Codeman. You'll be living on an island and looking just to park your boat at a land based slip while on mainland. I think the intent of the MVYC pet regulation is aimed at those that use the facilities like spending the day or sleeping at the slip. Maybe Mountain View will allow you to bring your pet directly between car and boat. If they say no then consider the following:

They allow dogs belonging to slip owners as long as the rules are followed. You could put the dog in a carrier and carry it between car and boat. That way the dog never touches MVYC ground. Or maybe you could rent a slip from an owner who would agree to buy your dog from you for the season. They then could ask you to take care of their dog for the summer. As long as you don't hang out at the club.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
codeman671

Commodore, thanks for the tip. I did try to negotiate with Carol at MVYC on this and questioned the reasoning behind it but they kept their stance on no pets to renters even though I would be using their facilities. I did end up getting a private spot in Smith Cove which is where I wanted to be anyway. It was half the price and closer to my property so it worked out in the end.

I have no hard feelings towards them and will probably look to buy a spot there later in the season for next year. It is still one of the nicest spots to be on this end of the lake even though it gets rather congested.