Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
KTO

Question Free Response Poll: Why are people in such a rush?

I'm kind of rambling on from other posts, but I was wondering, WHY ARE PEOPLE IN SUCH A RUSH? I mean, unless you go to work by boat (and I'm sure that there are quite a few who do!) you don't have much of a reason to rush in and out and act disrespectful towards smaller and basically any other craft? I mean, I'm sure if we all just slowed down a bit, the lake would be a much friendlier and inviting place! Today it's just rush here and rush here. As I'm sure I have said at an earlier time, If you are on vacation, what's the rush? My mind is completely empty now of why people rush, and that is why I am starting this free response poll; to see if anyone would like to suggest why people are in a hurry!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
jeffk

Default Different folks, different strokes

I think that there are many different types of people and what what you describe as "rushing" is more natural for some than others. Why do some people jog and others walk? For some, a faster pace is simply preferable. Faster is interesting, challenging, and just more fun. We watch car races, not car "Sunday drives". Some people go in vacation and lay on the beach, some go to the water slides, some water ski. The vacation pace is as different as the pace of life. However, if I am well clear of others and I want to travel fast, why should it bother anyone else? I'm not "rushing". I'm simply vacationing in my own way.
On the other hand you combined rushing with another characteristic, disrespect, that I would suggest is the real problem. No one should act disrespectfully, whether on vacation or not, just because they feel that they have urgent business to attend to. Disrespect doesn't require high speed. I have had many annoying boating problems at a leisurely pace.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
ApS

Question A frantic, acquisition-based culture?

Our American culture rewards those on the frantic "Hamster Wheel of Life".

They can't leave that lifestyle behind, even vacationing on a scenic lake.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default How about NWZ at Weirs?

One of the most dangerous places on the lake is the Weirs. Since someone brought up about ideas to make the lake a safer place I’ve been wondering what could be done about the traffic cluster around the Weirs. Some of us are seriously looking into having a No Wake Zone put in place similar to the one in Meredith.
A No wake zone would serve to greatly improve traffic around the Weirs.
1. Boats could spread out further thus preventing the hectic rush to get away from the people who are clustered together trying to get away from one and other.
How often are people powering up because the boats around them are going at the same speed but no one is attempting to spread out. My self included. It’s frustrating at best.
2. The weirs docks would be a safer place to pull into and out of. No more boats smashing up against the docks.
3. Less chance of finding people pulling tubes up to the NWZ buoys. Why someone would endanger someone by pulling them around in that bay is beyond me...
The response from this has been very positive from the power boaters I've talked to so far.
Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Bear Islander

I will agree that there are to many people rushing to nowhere on the lake. I think it's part of out culture. Slowing down a little is a great idea.

But there are more reasons to be in a rush on the lake than getting to work. When you live on an island your boat becomes your only means of transportation. There are many times that the term "pleasure boating" just does not apply.

Here are a few of the things I have done.

Rushing to get to the island before the ice cream and other frozen groceries melt.

Going full speed to the drug store in Center Harbor to get Benadril before they close.

Rushing to get some elderly people in the boat under cover before the thunder storm.

Having to get some 5 year olds to the island before the Mail Boat leaves with all the ice cream.

Rushing to get your child to the ER.

Trying to get new beds and mattresses across during a lull in the rain.

Looking for a small boat full of teenagers in the minutes before full dark.

Bringing a repair man that is on the clock to and from the island.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Dave R

My boat's most efficient planing speed is 30 MPH. Don't what you mean by rushing but if you see me going 30 and think I'm in a rush, just be aware that I'm using less fuel in MPG than I would at 20 or 25 MPH. Making a much smaller wake too. That said, I have a feeling you didn't mean 30 MPH when you wrote "rush".
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Silver Duck

An "ungent call of nature", maybe?

In all seriousness, I think that Acres per Second has it right. Today's frantic pace of life gets to be a habit, and it's hard to back off the throttle, even on vacation. It's the same on the highways; it costs maybe a few seconds to let somebody make a lane change, but few people want to give the other driver a break.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
KTO

Question

Ok, so I agree with that. But why the disrespect towards others on the lake regarding speed?
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It's not just the lake

It's not just the lake...It's waiting til the last possible minute to take the off ramp off the interstate, not caring how many people have to hit the brakes because of that move...It's life in the supermarket, almost pushing their way through to get to the register before you...It's not waiting 2-3 seconds to hold the door for someone (male or female) coming up behind you...It's the road race in the parking lot at the mall, supermarket, high school, etc. to get to the parking space, get out of the lot, etc. ...It's going to a nice restaurant that features a nicely paced, leisurely meal and then get vocal because the food "takes so long to come out of the kitchen" (want fast food, go to the Arches/the King/Wendy's/join Jarrod to eat healthy).

It's a lifestyle that I would not enjoy, and certainly do not appreciate some of the rudeness that can come out of that type lifestyle.

And then you can get into that old thing about a wave and a smile, a "Hi, howyadoing" and a "have a nice day", and a genuine "after you" "No, after you" "No, I insist" arguement.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 AM   #10
Misty Blue

Default Life in the fast lane

Well put upthesaukee! Have you ever noticed that we drum our fingers on the counter waiting for the microwave oven to accelerate the molocules in our food?

I have found that many, by no means all, of the "discourtious" boaters operate their boats the way they earned the money to buy them...Fast and Rude. No law will change this.

Be careful about no wake rules Belmont! Making Wiers bay a no wake zone would only increase congestion. Greatly. Same number of boats but but slower speed. That's why the channel in bow to stern. It would also take an extra 12 minutes to reach Eagle Island. Even on a September morning when you are the only boat on the Lake.

Just a thought.

Misty
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote