Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
itchin for fishin

Question Old Flares

I have some old expired flares that I want to dump. Does anyone know the proper way to dispose of them? Thanks.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
pmj

Default outdated flares

I believe, but cannot confirm, that the local fire department will dispose of them for you.

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Tired of Waiting

Question What type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchin for fishin
I have some old expired flares that I want to dump. Does anyone know the proper way to dispose of them? Thanks.
You don't state the type of flare. However, if they are road ( ground )type flares you can just strike them up and let them bun. If signal flares you shoot into the air, well then the fire dept can handle them for you.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

This article in Boat US Magazine warns against setting old flares off because they become more dangerous and unpredictable with age. Another reason is to avoid a false emergency call.
Boat US - Flare Disposal Article

Without a local collection program, boaters can do one of several things:

* Contact the local county public works or sanitation department to see if they'll accept flares on special household hazardous waste collection days;

* Contact local boating groups to see if they accept flares for use in demonstrations or classes;

* Contact your local police or fire department to see if they can use old flares or dispose of them in burn units;

* Do not set off aerials or hand-held flares on the water or anywhere near the water or where they can be seen and mistaken for a distress call. Do not discard them in the water.

United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Article

Pyrotechnic Disposal

You have two choices when considering disposal of flares and other pyrotechnical equipment.

1. (Preferred method): Contact your local fire department, sanitation department or environmental protection department and determine your local hazardous waste material disposal rules. Then follow the rules.

2. Contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and/or United States Power Squadron unit and see if they would like to have some old flares for training purposes. The Auxiliary and the Power Squadron teach boating courses year-round, and many of them sponsor (after receiving permission from the Coast Guard) pyrotechnic training days for the public.
Rattlesnake Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
itchin for fishin

Thanks all, I'll contact the fire dept first then move on. A special thank you to RG for the awesome research! Three more months till ice out!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Am I to understand that on Lake Winnipesaukee we do not need to carry pyrotechnic VDSs?
Legal Requirements of Boating NH

A potentially good alternative is this Lazer Flare

USCG Approved Xenon Emergency Strobes

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 01-11-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Misty Blue

Default Old Flares

Dear Itchen:

When we do US Coast Guard Auxiliary vessel safety checks we always inspect falres. One of the checks is to verify if they are "out dated". If they are we inform the owner that they do not meet Coast Guard requirements and if you are inspected by a Coast Guard officer you will be given a ticket. There are no such requiremets on NH inland waters.

Out dated flares are not dangerous. The expiration date (as I recall it's 42 months after manufacture, I'll have to check my books) was developed to insure that they operate when needed. The idea is that after three years in a boat they may be too "beet up" to work if needed.

Most of the outdated flares that I see are just fine. You may have to wipe moisture from the caps of the hand held ones once in a while. Our training is to inform the boater that the flares do not meet standards and new flares should be purchased (in federal waters, not the Lake) but keep the old ones as a backup. They will almost always work. Again they are not any more dangerous than new ones.

What to do with old ones that you want to get rid of? Give them to me! I teach the NASBLA approved safe boating classes required by the state and include VDS, visual distress signals, in the course. Part of the drill is to actually light off a flare. I don't want my students to have to figure out how to start a flare whrn they are on the rocks in the rain and scared. It's a good part of the class but I have to pay for the materials used in the class and flares are expensive. So if you want to get rid of them I'll take them and put them to good use.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
itchin for fishin

Misty,

In teaching the course, would you advise their use on a lake such as Winni? I always thought if I really got in trouble on Winni I would just use my cell. I'll send you a private message and we can connect on the lake when ice out occurs.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Misty Blue

Default Flares on the Lake.

Dear itchin:

When we teach our course (need one?) we set two standards. One for the CG and one for NH.

The CG will require a minimum of three day and night VDS signals that are CG approved and in date.

For NH inland waters to get the "Safety Decal" you must show a means of making an " adequate day and night signal". A lot is left to the inspectors disgression.

For me, I like waveing a type II PFD on a boat hook or a oar for a day signal. It works.

For an adequate night signal A flash light will do. I do not prefer Q-beams because about 1/3 of our calls for assistance are for electrical problems.

I also giive a warning about pyrotecnics. Flare guns and flare pens (little flares that fit in your pocket). They work great but remember, you now have a live gun on board. If you load the 12 or 20MM shell into the pistol and pull the trigger that baby is going to go off with a bang. Any kids on board?

The flare pens scare me even more. They don't even look like a gun. Some one who is not familiar with them could fire the thing with it aiming at themselves! Spooky.

Remember when using hand held flares use marine flares only! Road flares are not designed to be held in the hand. Marine flares are. And when you ignite it hold the thing over the leeward side of the boat over the water. The stuff that drips off of the flare is the hottest thing on earth and will burn what ever it lands on.

Hope this helps.

Misty
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
20mile

Default Spent motor oil

Does anyone know if the Tuftonboro recycling center takes old motor oil? If not does anyone know where I can dispose of it?
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
Outlaw

Default Old Flares - Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron

This Spring the Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron, in conjunction with the Laconia Fire Department are currently in the process of organizing an event to be held on Weirs Beach, which will allow you to dispose of those old flares. Discussion has it, there will be demonstrations on using flares, fire extinguishers and possibly hands on as well. More information on this event will be posted as the event is firmed up. Stay turned and save those old flares for this event.

Worse case - when you are at the town docks this summer during one the Vessel Safety Check days, give these old flares to one of the Vessel Examiners, they will dispose of them for you.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Default Handheld flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
Dear itchin:
{snip}
Remember when using hand held flares use marine flares only! Road flares are not designed to be held in the hand. Marine flares are. And when you ignite it hold the thing over the leeward side of the boat over the water. The stuff that drips off of the flare is the hottest thing on earth and will burn what ever it lands on.

Hope this helps.

Misty
I'll second the above, strongly (bold above added) ! While we on Winni aren't req'd to carry flares the only ones that I would are those that shoot a projectile into the sky. I would never recommend a flare that gives off light (good) and smoke and spark and hot debris over (but perhaps onto) a boat. For one they aren't more noticeable than a good (emerency) light on the boat and have the real danger of igniting something that'll ignite the fiberglass that'll burn to the water. Cell phones are good and a VHF would be my preffered backup, with lights and parachute flares coming afterward.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
Audiofn

Make sure you have smoke flares for day time use as well. Normal flares are almost useless durring the day time.

Jon
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 AM   #14
RLW

Thumbs down How did we go from Flares to oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mile
Does anyone know if the Tuftonboro recycling center takes old motor oil? If not does anyone know where I can dispose of it?
Could someone explain to me how in heck did we go from a subject of safety and flares to spent oil?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
20mile

Old flares and old oil both need to be disposed of by means other than land fill. Just like batteries and flourescent lamp ballists. Thought it made sense to ask the question in this string.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #16
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mile
Old flares and old oil both need to be disposed of by means other than land fill. Just like batteries and flourescent lamp ballists. Thought it made sense to ask the question in this string.
Makes sense to me! Disposal of dangerous things that could ruin your day
For the record I have been looking for a place to dispose of waste oil too.
Anyone Know?????
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #17
Outlaw

To be fair to all, let's start a new thread for waste oil disposal.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
To be fair to all, let's start a new thread for waste oil disposal.
Outlaw what is the problem? How is it not "fair to all" to let a thread expand from the disposal of one hazardous product to another? Both products are used on the lake and both can cause a big problem if handled or discarded improperly. Isn't the purpose of this board to discuss items of interest without someone regulating what is said and by who? ( the moderator of course has the final say in everything posted here, it is his board THANK YOU FOR IT!) I didn't bring up the subject of waste oil, but I feel that its inclusion in this thread is a logical and reasonable expansion of the original question. It seems that it is very possible that the same people who would help in disposal of flares could also help in disposal of Oil, hazardous solvents, chemicals, gasoline and many other things. Thank You
Old 01-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Check with your local landfill to see if they have a drum for disposal of waste oil, or perhaps your Highway Dept Barn.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #20
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T
Outlaw what is the problem? How is it not "fair to all" to let a thread expand from the disposal of one hazardous product to another? Both products are used on the lake and both can cause a big problem if handled or discarded improperly. Isn't the purpose of this board to discuss items of interest without someone regulating what is said and by who? ( the moderator of course has the final say in everything posted here, it is his board THANK YOU FOR IT!) I didn't bring up the subject of waste oil, but I feel that its inclusion in this thread is a logical and reasonable expansion of the original question. It seems that it is very possible that the same people who would help in disposal of flares could also help in disposal of Oil, hazardous solvents, chemicals, gasoline and many other things. Thank You
It's simple, when someone wants to know about waste oil disposal they can look at a thread for it - makes perefect sence to me. Not to mention the frequency in which threads tend to get off topic and the original meaning of the thread is lost. Like this one could be becuase it is under Old Flares.

I am one of the people who helps dispose of old flares - I (and the orgainzation in which I am associated) do not deal with the disposal of waste oil. While it is true both are hazardous materials, they are generally delt with by different organizations when it comes to disposal. By giving this topic the title it is worthy of, it is quite possible it may get the exposure needed in order to be properly addressed as it has not as of yet. Hope this clears up the confusion.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #21
Charlie T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
It's simple, when someone wants to know about waste oil disposal they can look at a thread for it - makes perefect sence to me. Not to mention the frequency in which threads tend to get off topic and the original meaning of the thread is lost. Like this one could be becuase it is under Old Flares.

I am one of the people who helps dispose of old flares - I (and the orgainzation in which I am associated) do not deal with the disposal of waste oil. While it is true both are hazardous materials, they are generally delt with by different organizations when it comes to disposal. By giving this topic the title it is worthy of, it is quite possible it may get the exposure needed in order to be properly addressed as it has not as of yet. Hope this clears up the confusion.
Thanks for clearing that up OUTLAW! I will remember from now on that if a thread involves one of your pet causes or has a response from you,to set my GPS on HIGHWAY and never deviate from the straight line in the middle

Seriously what is the big deal? One hazardous waste item to another is not a big leap. GOD ( if I can be so politically incorrect as to say that ) knows threads on this forum deviate alot more than this one has! Like I said, I am not the fourm participant who brought up oil, BUT I felt it was a logical and worthwhile segue! It seems to me with your logic, In the spring when the subject of Waldo Peppers Lobster roll comes up and how wonderful it is, NOBODY better mention their Roast Beef or how clean the place is!
Come on isn't this the "Live free or die state"? Lets lighten up.
I'm done.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #22
Outlaw

Default Under F for Waste Oil

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up OUTLAW! I will remember from now on that if a thread involves one of your pet causes or has a response from you,to set my GPS on HIGHWAY and never deviate from the straight line in the middle

Seriously what is the big deal? One hazardous waste item to another is not a big leap. GOD ( if I can be so politically incorrect as to say that ) knows threads on this forum deviate alot more than this one has! Like I said, I am not the fourm participant who brought up oil, BUT I felt it was a logical and worthwhile segue! It seems to me with your logic, In the spring when the subject of Waldo Peppers Lobster roll comes up and how wonderful it is, NOBODY better mention their Roast Beef or how clean the place is!
I'm done.
Information such a this is very valuable and it is only valuable if it is accessible. The topic is a good one and seems like one that many would like to hear about or research in the future and with clarity it could be informative today, tomorrow and in the future. Forget the suggestion of giving it its own thread, just wanted to see the topic get full exposure because it is something everyone deals with at one time or another. Deviate as much as you would like, makes no never mind to me.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

Quote:

I'm done.
Wow,things certainly have gotten heated on the forum lately.Charlie,Outlaw is a longstanding very well respected contributing member of this forum and in no way deserves the attitude you send her way.Please chill out a little people! SS