Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
This'nThat

Default Christmas Weekend Possible Snow Event

When will the weather hype end? Already the local and regional TV stations (WMUR, all Boston stations) are talking about the "possible" BIG storm coming next Sunday -- 6 days away. This was all over the morning shows this morning. Nothing definite. JUST POSSIBLE -- so, therefore, get ready to hype -- and, of course, stand by for more hype right after these commercials.
News Babe: [To hot Weather Guy]: Another possible storm, Weather Guy?
hot Weather Guy: Could be. More coming right up.
[boring 3-minute commercial]
News Babe: And what about our White Christmas?
hot Weather Guy: Could be. This could be BIG . More tonight. Thanks for watching our commercials. Watch us tonight.
What a crock. These people need to grow up and be more responsible. If something's there -- then report it. But I really don't need to hear "Wolf" yelled each time a cloud shows up in the sky!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
When will the weather hype end? Already the local and regional TV stations (WMUR, all Boston stations) are talking about the "possible" BIG storm coming next Sunday -- 6 days away. This was all over the morning shows this morning. Nothing definite. JUST POSSIBLE -- so, therefore, get ready to hype -- and, of course, stand by for more hype right after these commercials.
News Babe: [To hot Weather Guy]: Another possible storm, Weather Guy?
hot Weather Guy: Could be. More coming right up.
[boring 3-minute commercial]
News Babe: And what about our White Christmas?
hot Weather Guy: Could be. This could be BIG . More tonight. Thanks for watching our commercials. Watch us tonight.
What a crock. These people need to grow up and be more responsible. If something's there -- then report it. But I really don't need to hear "Wolf" yelled each time a cloud shows up in the sky!
I agree, the weather reports have been going downhill for several years. It is all about the ratings.
I watched the 10PM news on FOX last night. The weather guy Kevin Lemanowitz did a pretty good job explaining the differences between the weather models, and how a couple show a storm hitting us, and a couple show a storm going out to sea. The fact is that the weather guys have no idea 3+ days away what is going to happen. That is not their fault. What is their fault is when they say unequivicably that we are getting a storm 3+ days prior to the event.

Again, I have my fingers crossed for a storm hitting us, but if it does, I really hope it waits until later Christmas night. Lots of us have driving to do that day.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Hughie

Default Hyped Up Another Notch!

The 93 blizzard had a low pressure of 960 mb. Euro is predicting a pressure of 968 mb south of Long Island, NY. This is getting real interesting. Winds & Snow could be very historic if this pans out. Still many more model runs to go, STAND BY!
Hughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
This'nThat

Default And the BS continues

Headline on Weather.com:

Dangerous Christmas Weekend Winter Storm

And what do they say about the possible storm track?

There is high uncertainty, however, when it comes down to location.

But, now, read about their expert analysis:

There are two scenarios that can play out this weekend and early next week:
  • Scenario 1: Hugging the East Coast
  • Scenario 2: Glancing Blow
  • Scenario 3: In the Middle
Why is this storm "dangerous", is my first question. And how much thinking did it take to come up with these 3 scenarios, is my second question.

And yet, these people still seem to draw a salary. Heck, I wish I could be just as incompetant and still get paid.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Rose

Default Hype - yes, incompetent - no

While I agree that the hype is annoying, the explanation of the scenarios is better than I expected from Weather.com. And let me tell you, the majority of meteorologists don't pull much of a salary. I should know...I am one (but don't play one on TV).

Could you tell me specifically what you find so incompetent about the explanation of the possible scenarios?

Quote:
And yet, these people still seem to draw a salary. Heck, I wish I could be just as incompetant and still get paid.

Last edited by Rose; 12-23-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (12-23-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Could you tell me specifically what you find so incompetent about the explanation of the possible scenarios?
Specifically, labeling this a dangerous storm without providing specifics as to who is in danger, and what the danger might be. And labeling it as such without providing probabilities of the 3 scenarios. The only specifics provided were "some snow, and some wind". Snow and wind, of themselves, are not dangerous. While they did mention the word blizzard -- again, no definites, no probabilities.

They also mention "one model" that was giving them the worst case scenario. But nothing about all the other models, and what they were giving. Are they a 1-model bunch? Is the model they are citing the most reliable, and the one they lean on the most?

They did a similar thing last week for the no-storm that didn't appear. Did they rely upon the same model last week as they are citing this week?

In my business, if that's the type of information and data I gave to my clients, I would be fired. If they don't have specifics, then they shouldn't be offering up the hype at this point. And Rose, even though you might be ok with their explanation of the scenarios -- please go back and re-read those explanations. They aren't based upon anything. All it was is an interesting discussion, without any basis whatsoever. This is all fluff at this point -- and they have decided to delibertly choose the most extreme scenario as their headline -- and that's what I call incompetant reporting to their clients -- us, the public.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Jonas Pilot

Default Question to Rose.

I’m guessing that one of the toughest things you had to accept when you decided to make weather your field was the fact that weather evolves very slowly. I bet you are like every body else. We feel we need to know right now what’s ahead. We want to know what is going to happen, Now! We are so used to instant gratification. I think we are setting ourselves up for unattainable expectations when we approach the future weather that way.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 12-23-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
This'nThat

Default Weather.com has modified it's predictions

I just checked Weather.com again. Big, BIG differences in their current wording and headlines from earlier today. Not as much hype; and more reasonable discussions. And that's because their "single model" is now vearing away from Scenario 1 -- the hyped "dangerous" storm. Here's the current headline:

Possible Christmas Weekend Winter Storm

See? They're using the words "Possible". And have removed "Dangerous".

Reading further, here's what they say:

another major winter storm could potentially create a holiday travel nightmare for millions

Much different. Use of the word "Potential". And being a bit more specific, like "holiday travel" -- but still very general, and with hype. But overall, more reasonably presented.

Maybe someone complained. Or maybesomeone at Weather.com wised up a bit. Whatever -- they need to tone it down a lot untill they have real data to work with. But I still think they have little credibility. Weather predictions are tough -- and they shouldn't be pretending to have all the answers before they have all the data.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Rose

Default Faster than plate tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
I’m guessing that one of the toughest things you had to accept when you decided to make weather your field was the fact that weather evolves very slowly. I bet you are like every body else. We feel we need to know right now what’s ahead. We want to know what is going to happen, Now! We are so used to instant gratification. I think we are setting ourselves up for unattainable expectations when we approach the future weather that way.
I actually was torn between studying plate tectonics and meteorology, so comparing the two, meteorology is fast.

I do get frustrated waiting for the next model run to come out when there's the possibility of a major storm. And even more frustrated when it goes out to sea!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Rose

Quote:
In my business, if that's the type of information and data I gave to my clients, I would be fired. If they don't have specifics, then they shouldn't be offering up the hype at this point. And Rose, even though you might be ok with their explanation of the scenarios -- please go back and re-read those explanations. They aren't based upon anything. All it was is an interesting discussion, without any basis whatsoever. This is all fluff at this point -- and they have decided to delibertly choose the most extreme scenario as their headline -- and that's what I call incompetant reporting to their clients -- us, the public.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. They're providing what the majority of the public wants. If they weren't, they'd be out of business. As a meteorologist, do I like that? No, not at all. I'd rather see more detail, which models are giving what storm track, etc., but I've gotten slammed on this forum for being too technical with my forecasts and they've probably had similar complaints.

Ardent weather weenies gave up on that channel long ago. There are better options. I would suggest you change the .com to .gov and use the forecasts that you're actually paying for. Read those forecast discussions and see if you like those any better.

And, out of curiosity, what business are you in?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Rose is right. The press is a reflection of its viewers. There are a lot of "sheeple" out there to support the sensationalism. It's scary how many people are so easily led. Today's people want to be mothered -- hence the news increasingly pointing out "dangerous" situations. It equates to an adult version of "you better stay inside or you'll catch a cold..."

A few years ago, a couple of the Boston TV meteorologists told me about the struggle between news directors and meteorologists whenever storms were a possibility. The weathermen said they didn't like mentioning any possible storm until they absolutely HAD to. As soon as the cat's out of the bag, they said, the news directors want to make it dance for the camera. They told me it had frustrated the meteorologists to the point where regular meetings of "the two sides" were necessary in order to reach compromises between the conflicting interests of "attract viewers" versus "give them the scientific (ZZZZZZZ) truth."

If any information bores you, makes sense but still doesn't seem very exciting, or if it makes you uncomfortably aware of your personal flaws, you're probably getting the truth.

The truth is exciting and sensational only when the monster storm really IS coming. In those cases, hype actually dwindles because human nature is to deny the big stuff and get excited over small stuff. If the computer models are in agreement that a whole city will be buried under as much snow as it normally gets in two seasons, it's a bit hard to imagine. So the forecasters might cut it down to more believable levels.

In California last week, the forecast called for 4 to 8 feet of snow. That was sensational enough. The storm actually dropped 10+ feet in many locations. But who would have believed them if they had predicted that much?

Lately in the world of weather forecasting I've been observing more. In the last couple of years some large cycles (namely the sun, and the Pacific Ocean) have come around to points last visited decades and centuries ago. At the same time, I've noticed the computer models have been struggling, and forecasters expressing less confidence and more frustration in the technical discussions they write. I think the rules of weather forecasting have changed a bit, and lately I've been trying to get a feel for what they are now. If we as weather forecasters were batters in a baseball game, I'd say we're facing a new pitcher and we don't have great stats on what he throws.

It's a good time to observe the strategy. This weather forum has been a place where we've talked about what will come, followed by measurements of what happened.

It should now also become a place where we discuss what went wrong, when forecasts go wrong. Many more will.

When I first started posting forecasts on this forum in winter of "06-07, I had a handle on the rhythm of the atmosphere that went back a few years. My gut feeling is that those forecasting rules aren't as useful now. I'm not seeing the same rhythm. At the moment the weather holds both aces and jokers, and will play them both in such a way as to win.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (12-25-2010), Hughie (12-24-2010), Jonas Pilot (12-24-2010), rander7823 (01-06-2011), Resident 2B (12-24-2010), Ropetow (12-25-2010), Rose (12-24-2010), SteveA (12-25-2010), upthesaukee (12-24-2010)
Old 12-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Rose

Default How's this for a forecast discussion

Below is an excerpt from the area forecast discussion put out by the NWS forecast office in Taunton, Ma at 3:30 pm. Is this the type of discussion you're looking for, TnT?

SPECIAL NOTE AT 1140 AM...WE HAVE GOTTEN A GOOD LOOK AT THE 12Z NAM
AS WELL AS A QUICK LOOK AT THE 12Z GFS THROUGH TUESDAY /SO FAR/. WE
HAVE SEEN THE DRAMATIC TREND THAT THE GFS HAS TAKEN ON THIS RUN...AS
WELL AS THE W TREND ON THE NAM /THOUGH REMAINING WELL S OF THE
BENCHMARK/. WE WANTED TO NOTE THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED MESSAGES FROM
HPC ABOUT INITIALIZATION PROBLEMS ON BOTH THE NAM AND GFS RUNS THIS
MORNING. HAVING WORKED ON THIS DESK FOR THE LAST SEVERAL DAYS...ONE
THING THAT HAS SHOWN THROUGH IS THE LACK OF RUN-TO-RUN CONSISTENCY
BETWEEN INDIVIDUAL MODELS. WHILE WE ARE NOT RULING OUT A SHIFT TO
THE W...WE DO NOT WANT TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON EITHER. WANT TO
WAIT UNTIL WE GET A LOOK AT THE ECMWF RUN BEFORE MAKING ANY MAJOR
CHANGES.

SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY...
LOW PRESSURE TRACK AND TIMING ISSUES CONTINUE TO PERSIST AMONGST
THE OPERATIONAL MODELS AND ENSEMBLE DATA BUT WITH SLIGHTLY BETTER
AGREEMENT IN RECENT RUNS OF A MORE PROGRESSIVE SOLUTION.

THERE REMAINS THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM OVER A
PORTION OF THE AREA AS A LONG WAVE TROUGH AMPLIFIES ACROSS THE
EASTERN CONUS...AND RIDGING OVER A PORTION OF THE WESTERN CONUS.

LATEST WATER VAPOR LOOP EARLY THIS MORNING INDICATED A SOUTHERN
STREAM SHORT WAVE LOCATED ACROSS EASTERN NEW MEXICO...WITH A
NORTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE ACROSS THE DAKOTAS. THESE TWO SHORT
WAVE DISTURBANCES ARE EXPECTED TO PHASE ALONG THE EASTERN SEABOARD
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY. INITIALIZATION LOOKED FAIRLY
GOOD EXCEPT THE 00Z GFS HANDLING OF SOUTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE
ENERGY.

UNCERTAINTY CONTINUES REGARDING THE TRACK AND INTENSITY OF COASTAL
LOW PRESSURE SUNDAY. THE 00Z GFS IS NOW LESS PROGRESSIVE AND ON THE
WESTERN ENVELOPE OF ITS ENSEMBLE MEAN. THE 00Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLES
HAVE TRENDED SLIGHTLY FURTHER WEST. THE 00Z UKMET AND CANADIAN GGEM
CONTINUE TO TRACK LOW PRESSURE SE OF THE BENCHMARK LATE SUNDAY. THE
00Z AND 06Z NAM CONTINUES TO FLUCTUATE OFFSHORE. THE 00Z ECMWF HAS
BECOME MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE...TRACKING JUST SE OF THE BENCHMARK
AROUND 00Z MONDAY. IT IS FAIRLY WELL REPRESENTED BY THE GFS
ENSEMBLES AND THE GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEAN. THE 00Z ECMWF IS NOW ABOUT
6 TO 12 HOURS FASTER THAN THE LATEST 00Z GFS SOLUTION.

THE OPERATIONAL MODELS ARE CONTINUING TO HAVE DIFFICULTY RESOLVING
PHASING ISSUES BETWEEN THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN BRANCHES OF THE JET
STREAM. OVERALL DECIDED TO USE A 50/50 BLEND OF 18Z HPC/00Z GFS
AND THE MORE PROGRESSIVE 00Z ECMWF. THIS BRINGS LOW PRESSURE CENTER
CLOSE TO THE BENCHMARK POSITION APPROACHING 00Z MONDAY...THEN QUICKLY
INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES AFTER 12Z MONDAY.

IF THIS DOES OCCUR...THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT SNOWSTORM WOULD
INCREASE ACROSS A PORTION OF THE AREA. ATTM THIS APPEARS TO PRIMARILY
BE FOCUSED ACROSS SE NEW ENGLAND FOR THE SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY
TIMEFRAME. IT APPEARS THAT EVEN WITH AN OFFSHORE LOW TRACK...THE
RAPID DEEPENING OF THE SURFACE LOW...AND THE NEARBY COMMA HEAD
PRECIPITATION/DEFORMATION ZONE BANDING WILL LIKELY REACH A PORTION
OF EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND. THEREFORE HAVE MAINTAINED
LIKELY POPS PRIMARILY ALONG AND SE OF THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR
SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY MONDAY...WITH CHANCE POPS INLAND.
USED A BLEND OF THE LATEST SREF AND MOS GUIDANCE TO DERIVE POPS.

AS MENTIONED STRONG WIND MAY ACCOMPANY PRECIPITATION ALONG
THE COAST AS THE DEVELOPING OCEAN STORM DEEPENS. DID CAP WIND
SPEEDS GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTY OF STORM TRACK...BUT AT LEAST WIND
ADVISORY CRITERIA IS A POSSIBILITY ACROSS THE CAPE AND ISLANDS.

CAUTION IS ADVISED IN LITERAL MODEL INTERPRETATION AT THIS
POINT...AS WE ARE STILL A COUPLE OF DAYS AWAY FROM THIS POTENTIAL
EVENT. A LOW TRACK FURTHER SOUTHEAST WOULD CONFINE THE SIGNIFICANT
SNOW THREAT TO THE CAPE AND ISLANDS...AND A LOW TRACK FURTHER WEST
WOULD BRING THIS THREAT TO MUCH OF THE AREA.

THE DETAILS REMAIN UNCERTAIN REGARDING SNOW AMOUNTS AND WIND
IMPACT...BUT SOME POSSIBILITY EXISTS FOR WINTER STORM WATCHES AND/OR
WIND ADVISORIES/HIGH WIND WATCHES BEING HOISTED THE NEXT DAY OR SO
FOR A PORTION OF THE REGION LATE SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. GIVEN THE
UNCERTAINTY ON POTENTIAL AREAL IMPACT...STILL HAVE SOME TIME TO MULL
OVER FUTURE MODEL DATA TO REFINE THE FORECAST...STAY TUNED TO THE
LATEST FORECASTS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (12-24-2010)
Old 12-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
This'nThat

Default Rose

Quote:
Below is an excerpt from the area forecast discussion put out by the NWS forecast office in Taunton, Ma at 3:30 pm. Is this the type of discussion you're looking for, TnT?
So, that's it? My choice is either uber-hype or NWS text?

My answer is -- I accept neither one. I expect the so-called meterologists to accurately interpret the information they have, use the tools available to them (graphics, etc), and explain the weather. And if they aren't capable of doing this, or refuse to do so, then I will complain -- as I have already done in this thread.

I stand by my initial complaint -- Weather.com incompetantly over-hyped a potential storm based upon a single model. I believe they did so solely for the sensation, and not necessarily to serve the public. And I'm calling them out for it. At a minimum, they should be embarrassed for being so unprofessional. And I don't accept their "oops, sorry" explanations.

And before everybody jumps all over me, I know that the weather models are complex. I'm not a weather guy. But I've developed, programmed, and ran my share of non-linear, 2nd-order partial differential equations [think: higly modified Bernoulli equations] with non-deterministic boundary conditions evaluating the movement of effluents under various pressure conditions, and so I have an appreciation for the difficulties of long-range predictions. If the boundary conditions are just right, there could be significant errors in the end result. But knowing that -- and then higly publicising the most sensational model [regardless of the potential error] as "this is the case, folks" is just plain incompetance on someone's part. IMO.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Rose

I suggest you look for a source that is satisfactory to you and avoid the ones that you don't accept. If you can't find a source that satisfies you, teach yourself how to forecast and do it to your own satisfaction. Shouldn't be tough for someone with your background.

CLA mentioned the difficulties that on-air meteorologists have with trying to get the producers to keep the hype to a minimum. It's what brings in the ratings. Why don't you try haranguing the general public who asks for dumbed-down information, not just in their weather forecasts, but in all their news items?

And I definitely take issue with your contention that the article itself hyped one model. The original title, definitely, but the article talked about several scenarios. If you have a complaint, write a letter to Weather.com, but don't come on here and repeatedly disparage all meteorologists based on one website which, as has already been stated by me, is not one that any self-respecting weather aficionado is going to pay attention to.

And I'm still waiting to see a "hot weather guy" on my TV.

Quote:
So, that's it? My choice is either uber-hype or NWS text?

My answer is -- I accept neither one. I expect the so-called meterologists to accurately interpret the information they have, use the tools available to them (graphics, etc), and explain the weather. And if they aren't capable of doing this, or refuse to do so, then I will complain -- as I have already done in this thread.

I stand by my initial complaint -- Weather.com incompetantly over-hyped a potential storm based upon a single model. I believe they did so solely for the sensation, and not necessarily to serve the public. And I'm calling them out for it. At a minimum, they should be embarrassed for being so unprofessional. And I don't accept their "oops, sorry" explanations.

And before everybody jumps all over me, I know that the weather models are complex. I'm not a weather guy. But I've developed, programmed, and ran my share of non-linear, 2nd-order partial differential equations with non-deterministic boundary conditions evaluating the movement of effluents under various pressure conditions [think: hingly modified Bernoulli equations], and so I have an appreciation for the difficulties of long-range predictions. If the boundary conditions are just right, there could be significant errors in the end result. But knowing that -- and then higly publicising the most sensational model [regardless of the potential error] as "this is the case, folks" is just plain incompetance on someone's part. IMO.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (12-25-2010), Blue Thunder (12-25-2010), Jonas Pilot (12-24-2010), Resident 2B (12-24-2010), Ropetow (12-25-2010), Skip (12-24-2010)
Old 12-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
This'nThat

Quote:
If you have a complaint, write a letter to Weather.com, but don't come on here and repeatedly disparage all meteorologists
I think most people reading my comments know what I am saying. And as for a single site -- please re-read my original post, and you'll see that the hype isn't isolated to a single weather site.

Thanks for the advice -- but I will continue to call it as I see it.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #16
Skip

Smile

Hi Rose....

I just had to comment that I don't know what I like best about you, your prognostication skills or your refreshing candor....

It is great seeing you posting again....Merry Christmas!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Pepper (12-26-2010), Resident 2B (12-25-2010), Ropetow (12-25-2010), SteveA (12-25-2010), upthesaukee (12-24-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #17
Resident 2B

Merry Christmas to all.

Forecasting is a very complicated task. We have come a long way over the last 25 years, and the more we learn the more we realize we do not know. TnT, as someone who has studied plasma physics and atmospheric physics and have been very involved in computer modeling before I retired, I can relate to your frustration, but it is far more complex than you are suggesting. Model initialization is a major issue right now and the algorithms do a poor job of trying to over correct for weak initialization. Good people are working on this problem.

Many of us that post here share our opinions for pleasure and enjoyment. None of us are ever completely correct, but we love the challenge of trying to be correct. The NWS has the best overall forecasts because they are not impacted by the spin required by the news editors at the TV stations so accurately noted by CLA.

As to the current situation, I see it as a small event for the Lakes Region. The phasing of the two jets will not occur in time for this to be a big deal around here. As a result, most of it will go out the sea, but not as far out as the last storm. However, there is enough energy around to make it interesting.

Again, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! I heard this somewhere before!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #18
Lakegeezer

Default Model initiation?

What is "model initiation"? I'm thinking it is when the model realizes it is wrong and has to start with "as is" rather than continuing with its erroneous prediction. Do the standard models get improved as time goes on, or do new models emerge to challenge what is already in use?

The 3:07AM NWS report for Laconia is saying SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW. HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION. - so there is some hope.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
john60ri

Default Storm?

My father used to say, "Whether it's cold or whether it's hot, we're gonna have weather, whether or not." Merry Christmas and "God bless us, everyone."
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
Resident 2B

Default What a difference a day makes!

The models have begun to get into agreement, and it is looking more and more like a serious storm is on the way. Last night, I thought it would be minor around here, but disregard that forecast.

This could get very serious!

NWS has a Blizzard Watch for a lot of the area.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Hughie

Default Historic New England Snow Coming Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
The 93 blizzard had a low pressure of 960 mb. Euro is predicting a pressure of 968 mb south of Long Island, NY. This is getting real interesting. Winds & Snow could be very historic if this pans out. Still many more model runs to go, STAND BY!
The Euro had the right solution 5 days ago before a few other solutions in between. Hopefully the data from the last few storms will make 5 day forecast models more consistent and trustworthy.
I had planned on being at the Lake Monday, but expect to witness Historic Jack Pot snow totals in Eastern CT. I hope the heavy totals reach into Central & Northern NH for all Winter Sportsman. Right now NY-Boston is a direct hit.
I am enjoying all the quality weather blogging on this site and interested in snow total forecasts by this well educated group.
Merry Christmas!
Hughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
CanisLupusArctos

A cup of coffee, about to delve into Mom's apple pie, figured I'd check up on the potential storm. Fully expected to see a forecast for a couple of inches at the lake, a couple of feet on the outer cape. Fully surprised to see the words, "Blizzard Watch" greet me when I logged into my own web page!

Now's a good time for us all to observe the personality differences in forecasters (as well as prepare for the storm if we need to.) Skip wrote what's best about Rose, and TnT mentioned what should be expected of a meteorologist. I'd like to point out to all, that meteorologists are humans with their own personalities, likes & dislikes, habits, flaws, winning points, and personal struggles. Each modern-day weather forecast is a mixture of two things:

1) A number of computers that look at the present state of the atmosphere and calculate the probabilities of where it will go from here --different scenarios--based on the known past. It's more complicated than that, but for the layperson, that's the basic idea.

2) Human meteorologists who've studied enough math to have a pretty good idea how those computers think, and who've studied enough weather to know how it moves and changes so that when any given computer is being a [expletive] again, they know well enough to disregard the computer.

Each forecaster's life experience and personality plays a role in what he/she ultimately decides. Two forecasters predicting the same storm may have two different levels of excitement. You might have one guy who spent 10 years flying Air Force missions in Alaska who simply doesn't get excited about winter weather anymore. He'll predict 2 feet of snow but he'll be ho-hum about it. His collegue might be a woman from southern California who never saw snow until she went to college at Mississippi State and witnessed a 3-inch snowfall close everything down. She'll predict the 2-foot snowfall with a great deal more excitement than the former USAF guy.

Times like this, when a potential blizzard knocks at the door, are when we can start to see forecaster personalities come out. It's like when I first became an EMT, and noticed that my co-workers had certain personalities that always showed in true emergencies. After a while you get to know them -- this guy gets easily excited, that guy gets calmer as the situation gets worse, etc. Same for the weather forecasters. Look for their personalities in the technical discussions they write.

I once had the opportunity to shadow two NWS mets for a college paper. After hanging out with them for a whole shift I was much better at reading their forecasts. One of them was a spastic/athletic personality who had a tendency to put a lot of big words and exclamation marks in his forecast discussions any time a storm was coming. I can't explain how meeting him helped me forever-after know what he was predicting, but that whole "put a face to the name" concept worked. I could read through one of his storm forecasts with a general sense of what was actual information and what was just "him being him."

NWS meteorologists usually sign their last names or initials at the end of whatever they write. Services like AccuWeather usually have a by-line on each article, like a newspaper would.

As we now have a blizzard threatening New York City and parts of New England during a period of increased traveling, we can expect forecaster personalities to play a bigger role in what they say. Take note of it for future reference. When another big storm threatens, remember this one and take mental notes again.

As for my early opinions on this storm, regarding the lake...

Wind with this storm is expected to be from the northeast. That's not a good direction for snow at the NW end of the lake. It all hits the Ossipees, and everything downwind of those pesky mountains gets "shadowed." The stronger the wind, the longer the shadow. Moultonborough center (Old Country Store) is open to the northeast, barely. They're in a wind funnel between the Ossipees and the Sandwich Range. The wind could pick up speed going through there. A 40 mph wind from the NE can become a much stronger wind right along the Rt. 25 corridor from Moultonborough Airport all the way to Moulton Farm.

For snowfall, however, Moultonborough Neck would be in the "shadow" of the Ossipees, as would Center Harbor and perhaps Meredith Bay area. Those locations would get lower snow totals.

Higher snow totals would happen on northeast-facing slopes. Sandwich is one of those places. Ossipee is another. So are Gilford and West Alton.

What I've predicted is all based on a snowstorm with strong wind from the northeast -- that's a great scenario for Gunstock. And right in the middle of Christmas vacation week, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Whimsey (12-26-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #23
Rose

Hosted Christmas today for my family, so I'm way to tired and stupid right now to forecast intelligently. I did want to thank Don for the beautiful snowflakes floating down my browser page!!! Hoping to be intelligent enough to put my 2 cents worth in tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
Rose

Hi Skip!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, too!

That candor thing can get me in lots of trouble at times, but as Popeye says, "I am what I am!" Thanks for seeing the good in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Hi Rose....

I just had to comment that I don't know what I like best about you, your prognostication skills or your refreshing candor....

It is great seeing you posting again....Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #25
Argie's Wife

Quote:
And I'm still waiting to see a "hot weather guy" on my TV.
Me too.

I googled "cute meteorologist", "hot weather man", "male meteorologist babe", etc. - no luck...

Guess we need to put that one on our Christmas lists for next year....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
As for my early opinions on this storm, regarding the lake...

Wind with this storm is expected to be from the northeast. That's not a good direction for snow at the NW end of the lake. It all hits the Ossipees, and everything downwind of those pesky mountains gets "shadowed." The stronger the wind, the longer the shadow. Moultonborough center (Old Country Store) is open to the northeast, barely. They're in a wind funnel between the Ossipees and the Sandwich Range. The wind could pick up speed going through there. A 40 mph wind from the NE can become a much stronger wind right along the Rt. 25 corridor from Moultonborough Airport all the way to Moulton Farm.

For snowfall, however, Moultonborough Neck would be in the "shadow" of the Ossipees, as would Center Harbor and perhaps Meredith Bay area. Those locations would get lower snow totals.

Higher snow totals would happen on northeast-facing slopes. Sandwich is one of those places. Ossipee is another. So are Gilford and West Alton.

What I've predicted is all based on a snowstorm with strong wind from the northeast -- that's a great scenario for Gunstock. And right in the middle of Christmas vacation week, too.
Thank you to Rose and CLA (and all of the others that contributed).

CLA, I was really interested in the section that I have quoted above, I live on the North Side of Holland Hill (up the hill from the Country Store). My house faces due North and we get some crazy winds here as it is. It sounds like this one may be real signicant here.

I currently do not have an anemometer but would like to get one, any idea on where to find one (reasonable but decent? possible?).

As you may know Skip and I are both volunteers with snowmobile clubs and this forecasting is really key for us!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
jetskier

Post A beast!

The forecast is for 8" to 12" at the lake. They are predicting 12" to 20" in the Boston area. This thing is going to be a beast. Hopefully, it jump starts the snowmobiling season.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #28
robmac

It's snowing now in Nashua and according to WMUR and Boston weather people it looks like the real deal a big one.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #29
TomC

Default So well get about 6"...

if history is any indicator
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM   #30
john60ri

Default Snow!

The forecast down here in RI is for 10-15 inches. We have light snow now at 8:00 AM. Should be an interesting Monday morning for those of us who are working.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #31
This'nThat

Default Got 99c and an iPhone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I googled "cute meteorologist", "hot weather man", "male meteorologist babe", etc. - no luck...

Guess we need to put that one on our Christmas lists for next year....
You didn't expect hot weather guys to be free, did you? Here's an iPhone app -- supposedly.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #32
phoenix

now predicting 15-20 inches between providence and boston right over me this year
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
Rose

Well, from what my male meteorology students tell me, there are some hot weather babes on air for free...we demand an equal opportunity!!!

Actually, my husband is a meteorologist, too, and I thought he was hot the first time he walked into the weather lab at school where we met, so I can't complain.

Quote:
You didn't expect hot weather guys to be free, did you? Here's an iPhone app -- supposedly.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #34
Rose

With all the forecasts out there, I feel rather stupid putting out my own now that the event is almost upon us. But at least the house is close to looking like it normally does.

I do want to mention that rapidly developing storms like this can generate what's known as gravity waves. It's like a wave in the mid-levels of the atmosphere, and where the air is moving downward, precipitation can be diminished or shut off entirely. This is when nowcasting comes into play. A good meteorologist will take note of what's actually happening, decrease possible amounts where necessary, and not hold on to their original forecast when it's obvious things aren't going to play out like they thought.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

CLA, I was really interested in the section that I have quoted above, I live on the North Side of Holland Hill (up the hill from the Country Store). My house faces due North and we get some crazy winds here as it is. It sounds like this one may be real signicant here.

I currently do not have an anemometer but would like to get one, any idea on where to find one (reasonable but decent? possible?).
You're going to get some wind out of this. Wind is expected to be from the north.

The winter storm warning has been upgraded to a blizzard warning for Belknap & Carroll Counties a few minutes ago. That means wind sustained at 35 mph for at least 3 hours, combined with falling or drifting snow, to create visibility of less than a quarter-mile.

The blizzard warning is being expanded west to inland areas as well as coastal, as forecasters at the NWS become confident in a prediction that the above criteria will be met there.

Looks like an average 12" around the lake. If the wind comes from the north instead of the usual northeast, then Moultonborough Neck will not be sheltered by the Ossipees this time. Center Harbor might be sheltered by Red Hill. Otherwise, I would expect locally higher totals (15-18") in Tamworth, Sandwich, Gilford, and Alton.

If the 35+ mph sustained wind actually happens this far inland, I would expect a wind tunnel effect to set up along the Rt. 25 corridor in Moultonborough, where the wind will be forced between the Ossipees and Red Hill. The wind tunnel effect, if it happens, would increase the wind speed going through there.

I might also expect some wind enhancement along Rt. 11 in Alton Bay, IF the wind is from the north. A strong north wind would be forced "around the bend" by Mount Major, and wind speeds up when it does that. Rt 11 lies on that bend.

The same kind of effect may also occur on the eastern side of the Ossipees, near the intersection of Rt 16 and 25.

These locations, along with any exposed hill/ridge tops, are the areas I think are most likely to experience wind damage. This prediction is based on a NORTH wind.

As the storm begins to clear, wind will shift and come from the Northwest (Center Harbor to Alton.) We deal with that all the time. Everyone knows exactly what happens at his or her own location when we get hit with strong NW winds, because they're so common in fall and winter. Therefore I don't need to point them out.

As for an anemometer, a good place to shop online is www.ambientweather.com. If you'd rather shop in person, Robert E. White Instruments in Boston is the kind of business that's rare today -- honest, good service, sells quality stuff, puts customers first, etc. They are also online.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (12-26-2010), VitaBene (12-28-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #36
Nagigator

Default here it comes.....

Very light snow just starting and the wind has picked up here in north Central Mass.....Snowshoes and poles are ready by the back door!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #37
wifi

Quote:
....Actually, my husband is a meteorologist, too, and I thought he was hot the first time he walked into the weather lab at school.....
So, how long have you been married ?

Merry Christmas and happy New Year..
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #38
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
So, how long have you been married ?

Merry Christmas and happy New Year..
Hahahahahaha!!! Oh, God, I'm really depressed now! It's been 14 years.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #39
wifi

Quote:
Hahahahahaha!!! Oh, God, I'm really depressed now! It's been 14 years.
You beat me by a few..
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
ghfromaltonbay

Default Get ready in New England!

It's been snowing here in northeast NJ since a little before 11 am. Real small light flakes. Within the past hour the winds have begun to howl and the tiny flakes are almost horizontal and plentiful. By 5 am tomorrow we're expecting 12-16" here which is about 12 miles due west of the George Washington Bridge. The snowblower is gassed up and ready. This looks like a nice dry snow which won't clog up the chute.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #41
robmac

Driveway her and the sides of the road are covered,sno-blower is at the ready. I spray the augers and shute with cooking antistick spray before starting never a clog( dragracers trick to prevent rubber buildup)
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
SteveA (12-27-2010)
Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #42
john60ri

Default Snow!

Things have come to a standstill down here in northern RI. It's been accumulating all day, coming down sideways at times, and it's bloody cold. Awesome and mysterious. I'm gonna get out my old copy of Whittier's "Snowbound", which we had to memorize in grade school:

The sun that brief December day
Rose cheerless over hills of gray
And darkly circled gave at noon
A sadder light than waning moon . . .

Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #43
Jonas Pilot

Default 8 inches in Wolfeboro.

It's 9:00 am, still snowing lightly and there is 8 or 9 inches of snow so far.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #44
SIKSUKR

Default This coming from a weather nut,myself.

Totally agree with the over the top weather hype which comes from the local stations. Did we really need all the Boston stations pre-emting all broadcasts all Sunday and Sunday night. Jeesh, give me a break. About 8-9 inches so far in Mamchester at 11:00 and snowing heavily.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
ghfromaltonbay

Default Yikes!

I wish I could send you guys some snow up there. Along with 50 mph winds thru the night, we got over 20" of snow here in Clifton. The winds caused drifts up to my shoulders in the driveway. Thank goodness for the 6 hp Ariens snowblower! I started clearing snow around 10 am since it snowed till dawn. My new neighbor came out and since he's probably 25 years younger than I am, he asked if he could help and try out the snowblower. He widened his sidewalk as well, and did my 80' driveway, 50' of sidewalk and the front walk and driveway apron. I think he was having fun with a new toy. I used the shovel to walk ahead and knock down the drifts so the blower wouldn't stall out in too deep snow. The snow was higher than the top of the chute where it had drifted. Got the whole thing + the front and back porches done in 90 minutes. There is a state of emergency here in NJ and most roads are impassable with some cars trapped since last night on the highways. The winds are still howling, Newark airport had gusts over 50 mph and should continue thru tonight. The wind chill is 7! The weatherman said that by Saturday we will hit 50 degrees. Now to settle down with the rest of Sunday's NY Times and a bowl of hot soup. There's heat and power so I can hunker down till the roads are plowed. Glad I'm retired!

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 12-27-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: grammar
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #46
This'nThat

Default Ice-eating North wind today

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
I might also expect some wind enhancement along Rt. 11 in Alton Bay, IF the wind is from the north. A strong north wind would be forced "around the bend" by Mount Major, and wind speeds up when it does that. Rt 11 lies on that bend.

As the storm begins to clear, wind will shift and come from the Northwest (Center Harbor to Alton.) We deal with that all the time. Everyone knows exactly what happens at his or her own location when we get hit with strong NW winds, because they're so common in fall and winter. Therefore I don't need to point them out.
I can see the wind eating away at the ice in Alton Bay today. Before the storm, the ice was past Echo Point. Now there are white caps in the bay, and the leading edge of the ice has been pushed well South of Echo Point, even though the temperature is in the teens.