Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
george b

Default Nolans

Did Nolans suddenly close ?
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
Neko

It was closed yesterday afternoon when I went for lunch.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default No help?

No one has enough staff. Remaining people are burnt out across the restaurant industry.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

They did cut back their hours because of lack of kitchen staff, but even that's not enough so they have been randomly closing when they don't have enough help. The same thing happened to Garwood's. (as it is to a lot)
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
andy3519 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Would sure be nice if restaurants posted information for customers. I'd actually be more willing to support them if so, rather than just getting annoyed at showing up for nothing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Would sure be nice if restaurants posted information for customers. I'd actually be more willing to support them if so, rather than just getting annoyed at showing up for nothing.

I agree, but that's not so easy to do. Even if you put it up on Facebook or something, that's a small number of your patrons. I think we have to call before heading out...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I agree, but that's not so easy to do. Even if you put it up on Facebook or something, that's a small number of your patrons. I think we have to call before heading out...
Many area Restaurants have set days they are closed to get labor off time. VK isn’t doing dinner, Patrick’s is closed Tuesday’s T Bones Monday’s and they could close Cactus Jacks for the off season like they did last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

I agree but Nolans did change their hours. However, from what I heard, even with these new hours, they unexpectedly didn't have enough help. I mean if you don't have help you just can't open right? I feel bad for them.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:01 PM   #9
John Mercier

It is going to become a thing in most industries.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
It is going to become a thing in most industries.
That is a wide sweeping statement. I actually don’t agree with it at all. However I do think it will be an issue going forward in the food service and retail industry.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is a wide sweeping statement. I actually don’t agree with it at all. However I do think it will be an issue going forward in the food service and retail industry.

I agree. I saw an interesting article a couple of weeks ago that was interviews with food service workers saying that covid disruption gave them time to realize they don't need to work their butts off for pay that is often not good...they have better jobs now...etc

Leaving aside whether those jobs were underpaid or not, if even 10-20% of food service people believe that, it will be quite a pinch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-30-2021), joey2665 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
I agree. I saw an interesting article a couple of weeks ago that was interviews with food service workers saying that covid disruption gave them time to realize they don't need to work their butts off for pay that is often not good...they have better jobs now...etc

Leaving aside whether those jobs were underpaid or not, if even 10-20% of food service people believe that, it will be quite a pinch
Agreed, a lot of former service industry help are finding other jobs with better hours, better pay and better benies! I think they are in for a long tough winter.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #13
SAB1

Which will just lead to prices going up and going out to eat gets more expensive…..
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Which will just lead to prices going up and going out to eat gets more expensive…..
Along with less options which will lead to long waits for seating even though it is off season.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Repeat of an earlier post

Our solution is to fire up the grill, prepare something easy and delicious, add a simple salad and a view of the lake……PERFECT! No wait, no agitated crowds, and a great solution for us. I actually prefer doing it this way…..but it’s probably not for everyone.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Grove84 (08-31-2021), Heaven (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #16
John Mercier

Quote:

Then you are not in any other industry. Window manufacturers - not food or retail - are seeing extended lead times... some as much as six months. Currently of the more than two dozen vinyl siding colors, I can get you two... or you can wait up to eight months; and the list goes on and on.

Each of the manufacturers tell me the exact same thing... can't find enough help so they need to extend lead times and narrow their offerings.

The secret to every company at this time is to be selective as to your customers. Some customers will be with you for decades, for others it is just a simple singular transaction. Depending on what your company is about is how you have to resolve the choice.

Where more money used to ''buy'' us employees, that pattern no longer seems to hold true. Employees seem to be seeking something other than money... and managers have to find that.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

The biggest loser in the shortage of Restaurant workers is actually the State of New Hampshire. I'm assuming the State's revenue from restaurants is way off, and that revenue is badly needed to run the State.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the tax is 9%. That adds up fast!

Hopefully the State won't have to implement an income tax or sales tax, but they will need to make up for that lost revenue if they are unable to cut expenses.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Then you are not in any other industry. Window manufacturers - not food or retail - are seeing extended lead times... some as much as six months. Currently of the more than two dozen vinyl siding colors, I can get you two... or you can wait up to eight months; and the list goes on and on.

Each of the manufacturers tell me the exact same thing... can't find enough help so they need to extend lead times and narrow their offerings.

The secret to every company at this time is to be selective as to your customers. Some customers will be with you for decades, for others it is just a simple singular transaction. Depending on what your company is about is how you have to resolve the choice.

Where more money used to ''buy'' us employees, that pattern no longer seems to hold true. Employees seem to be seeking something other than money... and managers have to find that.
You have no idea what I do for a living all my background I’m involved in many different industries from real estate to medical to manufacturing to construction. Additionally service industry clients and the only clients I have that are experiencing labor issues are the service industries. So again I respectfully disagree with you

Old 08-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #19
John Mercier

So my manufacturing vendors are lying to me?
Old 08-31-2021, 05:59 AM   #20
jeffk

We were at the Lakehouse Grille last week and, literally, as we approached to check in (had reservations) they were discovering that two people scheduled to work just didn't show up.

It's not just a shortage of help, it's unreliable help. Worse, when proven unreliable, what do you do? Fire them and make yourself even more short of help?

Plus, there is an attitude gaining ground concerning "quality of life". "9 - 5, 40 hours a week, and THAT IS IT! It used to be that the people that chipped in with overtime to meet a need were appreciated and compensated for their overtime and possibly promotions and wage increases. Now, you can't pay some of them enough to get them to work overtime.

The US was known for a "Can Do, Get the job done" attitude. It was the country's competitive edge. That may be becoming a thing of the past. It did create more stress on workers. Some can handle it, some can't.

However, economics is a rather merciless environment. If companies are slowed down by various staffing issues and attitudes, they make less money and will have to limit the amount they can compensate workers. Eventually, some workers may find it harder to "get ahead" with their "limited work" attitude. Maybe they won't care. Maybe some will. Customers will notice a lack of responsiveness and shortages of services. Maybe there will be "premium" service companies that provide high levels of service and quality for an associated premium price.

The way we work is going through a transfiguration. I don't think workers, in the end, will get what they expect. It's similar to unions forcing up wages and succeeding for a while but then being replaced by automation and cheaper labor in other parts of the world. Economic forces are a "natural law" phenomena. They eventually balance out. X work yields Y compensation, not because that is what the business owner wants to pay but because if they don't follow it, they go out of business.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #21
tis

Quote:

I agree. Shingles, glues, hardware, sawmills. It is everywhere.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #22
Biggd

Maybe we'll get back to offering several choices of items instead of several hundred choices.
I was in the automotive business for 50 years. When I first started there was about 12 oil filters that fit every car. Now there are about thousands but recently with all the shortages, amazingly, all of a sudden consolidation happened and many of the same filters fit multiple applications.
It's was all a scam to push more inventory but now they can't keep up so it's all about consolidation!

Last edited by Biggd; 08-31-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:03 AM   #23
Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I agree. Shingles, glues, hardware, sawmills. It is everywhere.
I'll throw in my 2 cents based on the professional "services" industry in Boston which is also struggling to find talent and leading to labor shortages / overworking current employees, etc. Starting pay is not far off from 6 figures now for a professional services job in boston. And I fully understand it will be different across markets where people will have varying necessities and levels of motivation to work. But for jobs gated behind any sort of qualification (CPA, CFA, bar, etc) there are two easily bucketed main scenarios playing out:

1. Younger folks are making lateral moves to industry or in house jobs/smaller firms that are much closer to 9-5 and away from the big firms. This is leading to an overall decrease in hours worked across the industry and the "shortage" at these firms is delaying projects and driving wages up. Without crazy high expensive office space / entertainment & benefits costs many smaller firms and new players are offering enticing pay packages alongside work life balance if you don't desire to be the 1%.

2. People who are further along in their career many of whom have children and whose lives have been disrupted are getting stretched thin with the additional attention necessary for family. In addition to that, anyone who has been working for 6 years or more has held a great paying job and experienced a unequaled bull run in just about every investment and asset class you can imagine. These people are deciding they can sell the inner city house for eye shattering sums and move else where. Taking an early retirement with literally millions in their 401k/savings as well as home equity while maybe 1 parent continues to works.

My only point being there are labor shortages in every industry. High paying as well as restaurant / retail. Covid really changed things for a lot of people.

Call me crazy, but one of the biggest changes i think driving this whole labor shortage is the imbalance in time vs. money. How would you convince someone that it makes more sense to work a 50 hour a week job or a highly stressful job for 15-20k more over a 32 hour a week job?

I know the lakes region is still relatively affordable, so 15-20k may make the difference for some - but in more expensive markets like Boston an extra 20k a year buys you nothing if you are already making good money. The restaurants you go out to eat at are the same, the house you buy is the same, maybe paid off 1 or 2 years early. I think the disruption in the labor force will be shaking out for a few years to come.
Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boundary For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-31-2021), DotRat (08-31-2021), TheRoBoat (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundary View Post
Call me crazy, but one of the biggest changes i think driving this whole labor shortage is the imbalance in time vs. money. How would you convince someone that it makes more sense to work a 50 hour a week job or a highly stressful job for 15-20k more over a 32 hour a week job?

I know the lakes region is still relatively affordable, so 15-20k may make the difference for some - but in more expensive markets like Boston an extra 20k a year buys you nothing if you are already making good money. The restaurants you go out to eat at are the same, the house you buy is the same, maybe paid off 1 or 2 years early. I think the disruption in the labor force will be shaking out for a few years to come.
It's not that either the 32 hour person or 50 hour person is crazy or irrational, it's that they have different goals. The 50 hour person is aiming for 2-3 or 10(!) times the reward in the future. I'm not saying one is better or worse, it depends on the person/circumstances. It could be that there are fewer people who believe the sacrifice is worth the potential reward
Old 08-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #25
Biggd

Quote:
It's not that either the 32 hour person or 50 hour person is crazy or irrational, it's that they have different goals. The 50 hour person is aiming for 2-3 or 10(!) times the reward in the future. I'm not saying one is better or worse, it depends on the person/circumstances. It could be that there are fewer people who believe the sacrifice is worth the potential reward
Over the past 18 months they had a realization that there is more to life than working 24/7 and that there are things they were missing out on by working so much.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #26
phoenix

I am ok with the trade off assuming people understand that spending has to drop also. Also dont be envious of someone who choses to work longer and has ability to havr a bigger house, kids in private school etc. life is a series of tradeoffs
joey2665 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #27
John Mercier

That has been going on for awhile.
Some management is now finding that work environment is playing much more of a key role in acquiring and retaining skilled employees. I think the tech industry new about it for years... but it seems to be everywhere now.

For the next several years, we will have more Americans turning 65 than turning 18, so it is going to get tough.

The dichotomy that your speaking about hits only some of us. A couple years ago they were noticing a hygge movement, but cottagecore hadn't really hit its stride.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
That has been going on for awhile.
Some management is now finding that work environment is playing much more of a key role in acquiring and retaining skilled employees. I think the tech industry new about it for years... but it seems to be everywhere now.
Though people in the tech industry--at least what we think of as the tech industry of hard core programmers with stock options, ping pong tables, and t shirts to the office--work ferociously hard
Old 08-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #29
John Mercier

I wasn't suggesting that they were not working hard. Just that to keep skilled labor requires management to focus intently on the well-being of that labor - something that industry understood before the rest of us.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:41 PM   #30
Heaven

Quote:
You have no idea what I do for a living all my background I’m involved in many different industries from real estate to medical to manufacturing to construction. Additionally service industry clients and the only clients I have that are experiencing labor issues are the service industries. So again I respectfully disagree with you

Joey, manufacturing is certainly short handed. Even here in Wolfeboro. Also, products from overseas are hung-up.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #31
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
We were at the Lakehouse Grille last week and, literally, as we approached to check in (had reservations) they were discovering that two people scheduled to work just didn't show up.

It's not just a shortage of help, it's unreliable help. Worse, when proven unreliable, what do you do? Fire them and make yourself even more short of help?

Plus, there is an attitude gaining ground concerning "quality of life". "9 - 5, 40 hours a week, and THAT IS IT! It used to be that the people that chipped in with overtime to meet a need were appreciated and compensated for their overtime and possibly promotions and wage increases. Now, you can't pay some of them enough to get them to work overtime.

The US was known for a "Can Do, Get the job done" attitude. It was the country's competitive edge. That may be becoming a thing of the past. It did create more stress on workers. Some can handle it, some can't.

However, economics is a rather merciless environment. If companies are slowed down by various staffing issues and attitudes, they make less money and will have to limit the amount they can compensate workers. Eventually, some workers may find it harder to "get ahead" with their "limited work" attitude. Maybe they won't care. Maybe some will. Customers will notice a lack of responsiveness and shortages of services. Maybe there will be "premium" service companies that provide high levels of service and quality for an associated premium price.

The way we work is going through a transfiguration. I don't think workers, in the end, will get what they expect. It's similar to unions forcing up wages and succeeding for a while but then being replaced by automation and cheaper labor in other parts of the world. Economic forces are a "natural law" phenomena. They eventually balance out. X work yields Y compensation, not because that is what the business owner wants to pay but because if they don't follow it, they go out of business.
Right, but if it didn't go through these cyclical swings, it wouldn't "balance out". It's an employee's market right now, not an employer's market. Simple.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #32
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundary View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents based on the professional "services" industry in Boston which is also struggling to find talent and leading to labor shortages / overworking current employees, etc. Starting pay is not far off from 6 figures now for a professional services job in boston. And I fully understand it will be different across markets where people will have varying necessities and levels of motivation to work. But for jobs gated behind any sort of qualification (CPA, CFA, bar, etc) there are two easily bucketed main scenarios playing out:

1. Younger folks are making lateral moves to industry or in house jobs/smaller firms that are much closer to 9-5 and away from the big firms. This is leading to an overall decrease in hours worked across the industry and the "shortage" at these firms is delaying projects and driving wages up. Without crazy high expensive office space / entertainment & benefits costs many smaller firms and new players are offering enticing pay packages alongside work life balance if you don't desire to be the 1%.

2. People who are further along in their career many of whom have children and whose lives have been disrupted are getting stretched thin with the additional attention necessary for family. In addition to that, anyone who has been working for 6 years or more has held a great paying job and experienced a unequaled bull run in just about every investment and asset class you can imagine. These people are deciding they can sell the inner city house for eye shattering sums and move else where. Taking an early retirement with literally millions in their 401k/savings as well as home equity while maybe 1 parent continues to works.

My only point being there are labor shortages in every industry. High paying as well as restaurant / retail. Covid really changed things for a lot of people.

An for some professions, this shortage isn't new. . . it started 5 years ago. I have two almost 70's people working for me. When they decide to stop, there is no one with the needed training to step in.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Right, but if it didn't go through these cyclical swings, it wouldn't "balance out". It's an employee's market right now, not an employer's market. Simple.
Actually, it means that management must up its game.
In the referenced event of the OP, management determined that certain periods of time were producing more revenue.
They shut down the slower times and focused resources on the more productive part of their business.

There is an article in the Laconia Daily Sun were Newick's Lobster House is asking customers that behave inappropriately to leave. That management decision he expects will create a less stressful environment and allow him to keep his employees.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:33 PM   #34
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Over the past 18 months they had a realization that there is more to life than working 24/7 and that there are things they were missing out on by working so much.
until he bottom drops out and their soft company lays them off- it will happen... again
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #35
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default School?

My expectation is that, when schools reopen on a reliable schedule, people will re-enter the workforce and things will even out again. This will take 2-3 years. In the meantime,. the birthrate continues to be low. Even if it changes, it will tale 20 years for new babies to enter the workforce.
As much as we may be apprehensive about "illegal" aliens, we may need them in these entry level positions. Currently , Afghans who speak English should be highly employable. 'Nuff said.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #36
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
until he bottom drops out and their soft company lays them off- it will happen... again
I would guess that many of them changed jobs for a more suitable schedule.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:09 PM   #37
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
My expectation is that, when schools reopen on a reliable schedule, people will re-enter the workforce and things will even out again. This will take 2-3 years. In the meantime,. the birthrate continues to be low. Even if it changes, it will tale 20 years for new babies to enter the workforce.
As much as we may be apprehensive about "illegal" aliens, we may need them in these entry level positions. Currently , Afghans who speak English should be highly employable. 'Nuff said.
It is the training and knowledge that takes a long time. The employees, other than retirees, are not leaving the workforce... just taking their skill set with them to an employer that provides the right ratio of pay/benefits, hours, and working environment for them to be happier.

When employers have the upper hand, many employees will do things they are not passionate about to make a living. We joke that this is the ''You will pay me just enough not to quit, and I will work just hard enough not to be fired'' model. That model is currently broken.

So my replacement is coming along quickly... but there may not be the passion that I had for the job. Hard to know for sure.
Heaven (09-13-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #38
LoveLakeLife

“Illegal” aliens? No need for the quotation marks.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #39
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Yes, what goes around, comes around. We all will have to deal with that in our own way when it happens.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #40
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by george b View Post
Did Nolans suddenly close ?
so, did anyone ever figure out if they closed or not? Or was it just they had no one to cover like most places?
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #41
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
so, did anyone ever figure out if they closed or not? Or was it just they had no one to cover like most places?
If you read the replies you would know they did not close. I know its a lot to read sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
george b (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #42
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
If you read the replies you would know they did not close. I know its a lot to read sometimes.
I did read them and didn't notice any definite answers, just a lot of "probably" could have been this type of answers and other things having nothing to do with Nolan's.
But thank you for clarifying.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #43
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Nolan environs

This is not about Nolan’s, but we met friends for dinner tonight at O Bistro in Wolfeboro. I don’t think we are especially fussy, but the food was mediocre at best, and a bit pricey for what we got. Also, we noticed on the way through town that Garwoods appeared to be closed up tight. This was at 7:30. Maybe another help shortage?
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #44
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
This is not about Nolan’s, but we met friends for dinner tonight at O Bistro in Wolfeboro. I don’t think we are especially fussy, but the food was mediocre at best, and a bit pricey for what we got. Also, we noticed on the way through town that Garwoods appeared to be closed up tight. This was at 7:30. Maybe another help shortage?
Garwoods is closed every Wednesday.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:25 AM   #45
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I do agree the Pricing at O’Bistro is a bit high but I have never had a bum meal there and the atmosphere is decent. I can actually hear the people I’m sitting with.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Marinalou (09-26-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #46
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I did read them and didn't notice any definite answers, just a lot of "probably" could have been this type of answers and other things having nothing to do with Nolan's.
But thank you for clarifying.
I thought my post number four wasn't a probably but maybe you took it that way. sorry. It just gets frustrating because so often people don't read posts and you wonder why you even bother. Sometimes ten people will answer and the person will ask again.( not meaning you)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #47
I.C.Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I do agree the Pricing at O’Bistro is a bit high but I have never had a bum meal there and the atmosphere is decent. I can actually hear the people I’m sitting with.
Second that on O’s. Had seven for dinner there past weekend. Good staff, service, drinks, and food. We may be at a point where you have to pay a little more for good service. Too many places seem to be in constant training mode with someone new.

I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #48
John Mercier

By pricing themselves high enough, they have removed some of the demand on their staff. Happy staff means less turnover, so training is focused on improving the skill set rather than just administering the basics.
FlyingScot (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:35 PM   #49
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Increased prices?

Quote:
By pricing themselves high enough, they have removed some of the demand on their staff. Happy staff means less turnover, so training is focused on improving the skill set rather than just administering the basics.
Also means higher tips per dinner served. Overall, a better dining experience, but perhaps less often for some consumers. In time, the service businesses will likely catch up to manufacturing and other union driven wage levels. That will make it harder for inexperienced (students) to break into summer jobs. The cycle will work itself out, but not this season. Once again, thise businesses that can improve productivity will lead the way. Fifteen cent burger, anybody? McD's will not be left behind.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:50 AM   #50
TheTimeTraveler

One nice thing about O'Bistro; Unless you have a reservation you may not be able to get in. So they have a good idea in advance of each evening as what their food and staffing needs exactly are.

FYI: Starting Tuesday September 7th they will only be open Wednesdays thru Saturday evenings. Will no longer be open on Tuesdays.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #51
Merrymeeting

We went to Nolan's last night. We were second in line and waited at the hostess station for 15-20 minutes before someone came to take the first couple to a table, then another 5 or so before we were seated. While watching, we saw that there were only 2 waitresses and the regular bartender running the whole show. They were working their butts off. The bartender was also waiting on tables.

Once seated, our waitress was very attentive and the service was great. Our meals were very good too. I had the veal scaloppini and my wife had the Ravioli.

We sat outside on a lovely evening. Overall a very nice dinner and kudos to the staff for making it work.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-03-2021), BoatHouse (09-07-2021)