Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Smith Point

Default History of Welch Island?

I’ve been looking for any history of Welch Island. That’s where my grandmother (Hilda Luce) was originally from.
I herd some disturbing news from a family member that she lost there house on Welch Island in a lawsuit involving the butler or the chauffeur in a BUI accident, death resulting.
Is there a website or a link on the history of Welch Island?
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Just Sold

A search of the Belknap County Records shows no Luce with ownership relating to Welch Island. Maybe the property was in a trust or another family members name.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Red face

You'll want to check out The Gunstock Parish - A History of Gilford, NH - 1995 by Adair Mulligan originally recommended to me right here on this forum. This extremely well-done book is ful of photos. There is a chapter about the Gilford islands in general ...with pp. 264-268 devoted to Welch Island. Apparently the Luce family was quite prominent on the island but I see no mention of a Hilda. In part it reads as follows (p. 266),

"Among the early visitors to Welch Island were Richard and Lucy Luce, relatives of the White family who had completed their camp in 1908. The Luces moved into their new summer home on the northern point in 1914, and within four years had acquired thirty acres at "North Ledge." The Luce estate is perhaps Welch Island's answer to the Adironadack Great Camps then being built in northern New York State..........."

I highly recommend this book if you ever run across it. It may be available at the Gilford Public Library. It is also available through the Thompson-Ames Histocial Society.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Smith Point

Mcdude, that’s what I’m looking for! I just ordered the gunstock parish, I know that it will be good reading materal. Found another link but can’t open it. Rattlesnake gal please help! Click here: TLC PAC - Labeled Display New Hampshire Historical Society

Title: The story of Welch Island through 1945 / by Mary G. D. Donsker.
Author: Donsker, Mary G. D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Publisher: Welch Island, Lake Winnipesaukee, NH : Camp Gilletta, 1984.
Collation: iii, 102 p. : ill., maps.
Note: Includes bibliography : p. 102.
Subject: Gillett family.
Subject: Davis family.

Location Information
LIBRARY 917.78a2 D674WI

Browse: TitlesAuthorsSubjectsNotesDEWEY CALL NumberLOCAL CALL NumberCONTROL NumberLCCNISBNISSNMUSIC NumberSUDOC NumberNLCN for
Return 102030405060100 per page. All LocationsLIBRARYMUSEUM Set Limits
Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Hope This Link Works!

I could not find an actual copy for sale, but the Library of Congress does have it. Not sure if that link will work or not. If it does, scroll down to the bottom for viewing options. (I've never tried this, so I do not know how it works and unfortunately I am pressed for time at the moment and cannot try it.)

If all else fails, stop by the Historical Society in Concord. I guess they haven't scanned this book.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
snowbird

Default Adair Mulligan's book

Thompson-Ames Historical Society up in Gilford Village should have a copy, maybe even one for sale.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
welch100

Default History of Welch Island

I have a copy of Mary Donsker's "History of Welch Island" which has information about the Luce Estate on the north side of the island. The history ends in 1945, and I see no mention of the property leaving the Luce family, but on a chart of camps built on Welch from 1906-1945 she indicates it was occupied by the family until 1938.

The estate still stands and has been restored over recent years. It encompasses a lot of land and is very lovely! It's currently owned by the Irwin Muskat family.
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
snowbird

While the T-A Historical Society's hours may not be convenient, I learned today that "The Gunstock Parish" by Ms. Mulligan is also for sale at the Gilford Public Library for $35.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
welch100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point
I’ve been looking for any history of Welch Island. That’s where my grandmother (Hilda Luce) was originally from.
I herd some disturbing news from a family member that she lost there house on Welch Island in a lawsuit involving the butler or the chauffeur in a BUI accident, death resulting.
I spoke to an old-time Welch islander about this who said it is true. She said the chauffeur was driving the Luce family speed boat, was distracted dealing with children in the back of the boat, and ran into a rowboat with a man and child in it. The child was killed. Resulting law suit forced the family to liquidate assets including the Welch Island estate.
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welch100 For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
carguy

Default Welch Island History

This thread hasn't been visited in a few years. I recently found the following information on the Internet in regards to Welch Island.

http://www.bluewaterrealtygroup.net/...Winnipesaukee/

As a teenager spending Summers in the 50's and 60's at Lake Shore Park in Gilford, we use to have an "Iron Man" test, which was to swim to Welch Island and back to LSP. Of course we were accompanied by a boat.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
This thread hasn't been visited in a few years. I recently found the following information on the Internet in regards to Welch Island.

As a teenager spending Summers in the 50's and 60's at Lake Shore Park in Gilford, we use to have an "Iron Man" test, which was to swim to Welch Island and back to LSP. Of course we were accompanied by a boat.
The stone wall mentioned is on our lot. I don't see how corn could have been very productive, the soil is so poor.

BTW, there is open water today between LSP and Welch but it a bit cold for swimming. In the Ice-In thread, so called, there is a story about ice fishermen who almost swam bringing a bob house in.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-01-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
NYCtoLSP

Default Still swimming to welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post

A group of us have been swimming out to welch island in the recent years from the shores of LSP. Usually the week or two after timberman. But we just do one way, accompanied by boats and jet skis. It takes about an hour and is really fun. I can't imagine doing it back and forth!
NYCtoLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Waco1148

Default Welch Island history book available

Just to let you know, the Moultonborough Public Library has the book about Welch Island mentioned in this thread. Answering this from home so haven't got the book at hand but as I recall it's kind of a photocopy and plastic comb binding production, would be glad to check on your question this week, or come take a look yourself if you wish. Library phone is 476-8895.
Waco1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waco1148 For This Useful Post:
Smith Point (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Smith Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The stone wall mentioned is on our lot. I don't see how corn could have been very productive, the soil is so poor.

BTW, there is open water today between LSP and Welch but it a bit cold for swimming. In the Ice-In thread, so called, there is a story about ice fishermen who almost swam bringing a bob house in.
The stone wall mentioned is interesting to me! Because I have 8mm movie (digitaly converted) of it being built! Over the summer last year we celebrated our 100th year at our camp on smith point and some old movies of Welch Island and smith point showed up! Very cool, the movies show how the built the breakwater on Welch, with an old coal cart on railroad tracks, and to move the huge boulders they used a tree the size of a telephone pole on a pivot point to place the boulders into place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smith Point For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
The stone wall mentioned is interesting to me! Because I have 8mm movie (digitaly converted) of it being built! Over the summer last year we celebrated our 100th year at our camp on smith point and some old movies of Welch Island and smith point showed up! Very cool, the movies show how the built the breakwater on Welch, with an old coal cart on railroad tracks, and to move the huge boulders they used a tree the size of a telephone pole on a pivot point to place the boulders into place.
SP,
After sending you a PM expressing interest in the old 8mm movie, I went back and read the article reference in post # 10. I believe that the stone wall on our property on the west side of Welch was part of the sheep pasture. If so, it was probably built in the 1800s long before 8mm film existed. I am not aware of any other stone wall on Welch unless one is on the former Luce property, now owned by Muskat.

SC
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Default Lucy W. Luce

You can search deeds online at:
http://www.nhdeeds.com/belknap/BeHome.html

Select county records and then accept disclaimer at bottom of page. You need Java operating to then see a search window open. You can only search by grantee and grantor back to 1950. However you can start with a current Muskat deed such as book 1972 page 789 (1972/789 in my notation) and note the references to prior deeds by book and page.

As there are multiple parcels there are several paths back. Take the 681/10 reference which leads to 250/231 which has reference to land formally of Lucy W. Luce. 250/231 also has hand drawn plans on following pages that show the abutting Luce estate.

I’m sure that you can find other paths back that may be of interest.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Stone wall purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
SP,
After sending you a PM expressing interest in the old 8mm movie, I went back and read the article reference in post # 10. I believe that the stone wall on our property on the west side of Welch was part of the sheep pasture. If so, it was probably built in the 1800s long before 8mm film existed. I am not aware of any other stone wall on Welch unless one is on the former Luce property, now owned by Muskat.

SC
I've long been under the impression that the stone wall was used as a barrier to assist in gathering the sheep to get them lined up for loading onto a barge for the return trip to the mainland.
That would make sense to me as one of the closest mainland/island crossings to the beach at what is now Broadview Condominiums. Wasn't Chanticleer Restaurant/Inn predecessor to Broadview, originally a farm? (Wasn't everything once a farm?)
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I've long been under the impression that the stone wall was used as a barrier to assist in gathering the sheep to get them lined up for loading onto a barge for the return trip to the mainland.
That would make sense to me as one of the closest mainland/island crossings to the beach at what is now Broadview Condominiums. Wasn't Chanticleer Restaurant/Inn predecessor to Broadview, originally a farm? (Wasn't everything once a farm?)
That is also our understanding of the function of the wall, to help funnel the sheep onto the barge. The shape of the wall leads to a narrow loading spot with obvious man made intent. The daughter of the prior land owner who sub-divided the land into the current lots, is certain of the sheep barge loading function. We have discounted the story about separating the sheep from a corn garden, the very poor soil there just barely supports scrub blueberry bushes.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #19
muskatd

Default Welch Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith Point View Post
Hi. I'm Dan Muskat. This post was just brought to my attention.

My great grandfather purchased the Luce property at auction some time in the 1940's. The auction listing is framed and hangs on the wall. North Ledges (as it was named) was passed down to his son, Lester Shapiro, c. 1963 then to my father, Irwin Muskat, c.1987. A few years ago I had the honor of meeting Hilda Luce and touring the property with her. I believe she was in her 90's at the time. He memory was incredible. She showed us things we never knew about this fabulous place. Since, I have met Sarah Spaulding. She is a wonderful woman.

My father has made it his life work to keep the property in the condition it was meant to be. It is still as beautiful as when the Luce's built it. There are a few modern accoutrements but all in all still rustic.

Our family cherishes North Ledges. It is very special to us. If you or anyone in your family would like to come visit, we'd love to have you. We generally go up through the last weekend of October.

And, sadly, I have heard that the story about the chauffeur is true.
muskatd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to muskatd For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-15-2015), Broken Glass (09-15-2015), Diana (09-15-2015), ishoot308 (09-15-2015), mcdude (09-15-2015), Slickcraft (09-15-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
SIKSUKR

Wow, both names I'm very familiar with. I met Lester when Granite State Packing was still a slaughter house. Our family was also in the meat processing business in Manchester so Irwin gave us a tour a bunch of years before it was sold. FWIW