Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
TOAD

Red face Time Warner Cable and Internet Service

JEEZ LOUISE! In anticipation of our move to Moultonborough I just called Time Warner, currently servicing the house, to find out how much internet and basic cable service (long as I can get Fox News I'm happy) would be a month.

Took ten friggin minutes to get an "$80-$90 dollar a month" price. She even had to know where I live in Massachusetts now, my last name, number of children and what I had for breakfast to get to the "$80-$90 a month quite.

OK...is it $80 or $90?

"It depends on what you are getting sir."

I want internet and basic TV stations where I can get my news channels.

"There are no specials going on it that area sir."

I don't care about specials at this point I want a monthly cost for Time Warner Internet and Cable TV.

"I can't be sure what it would be without a new customer package sir."

I don't care about a new customer package. What are the normal monthly charges?

"$80-90 month sir"

You already told me that. Now listen carefully is it $80 or $90 a month for internet service and a minimal package so I can get Fox News, History and Discovery Channel?

"Depends on what you are getting for service sir"

GOODBYE!!!!

So can any of the good folks in Moultonborough you have Time Warner give me an idea of what cable actually costs up there?

How are those dishy things working out for everyone.? Never had anything but cable down south here.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Twc

They can be painful. I usually incorporate a trip to the office into a shopping trip to N Conway. I have better luck face to face.

At our main house in Moultonborough. We have a little more than basic cable with 1 DVR HD box and 2 regular HD boxes. No movie channels or crazy sports packages. We have HS internet through TWC as well. Total package is $148. They get you on the boxes.

We also have a house in Suissevale (also Mboro) that has basic cable (no box, coax connected directly to TV) and HS internet and pay $100.

Both prices include all of the crazy taxes and fees they never tell you about!

Toad- what part of town are you moving to and welcome to Moultonberry! It is a great town.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
fatlazyless

DSL w/ FairPoint for the internet and a dish, either DirecTV or Dish Network is probably worth a look-see. The dishes run about 30/month 1st year, 60/month second year, and not sure about the 3rd year as a two year contract and a credit card is required to open a new satellite tv account.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
They can be painful. I usually incorporate a trip to the office into a shopping trip to N Conway. I have better luck face to face.

At our main house in Moultonborough. We have a little more than basic cable with 1 DVR HD box and 2 regular HD boxes. No movie channels or crazy sports packages. We have HS internet through TWC as well. Total package is $148. They get you on the boxes.

We also have a house in Suissevale (also Mboro) that has basic cable (no box, coax connected directly to TV) and HS internet and pay $100.

Both prices include all of the crazy taxes and fees they never tell you about!

Toad- what part of town are you moving to and welcome to Moultonberry! It is a great town.
Thanks for the info. Moving is not a done deal yet. Still need some inspections to be had but have settled with the seller on the price. Good inspection reports and we will close as soon as possible. Part of town is called "Second Neck" area?

Moultonberry?? Might that be a play on Mayberry, RFD?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
patman

If you just get internet, it runs about $50/mo plus $5 in taxes. That's about twice what the equivalent service would cost you in a populated area, but...welcome to monopoly pricing. The 'bundled' price gets you about $5 off that if you get a TV package also. (Try to contain your excitement.)

I cut off even basic cable, and I just have internet through TW now. I bought a couple of Roku boxes and a $9.99/mo Netflix subscription, and that gets me all the video entertainment I need.

You can get some news channels through Roku, but the usual suspects (ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN/FOX) currently only have digest versions...5-15 minute video clips with the day's news, and not a live feed.

You might be able to get what you need with an antenna...worth a try.

Also, once I switched to the 'internet only' service, they put filters on my line. This works to block out the analog channels, but apparently the blocking technology isn't quite there yet, so I still get 8 or so digital channels (twice...sd and hd) even without the basic cable.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
fatlazyless

A pretty good number of people seem to use the free internet computer terminals at the Meredith Library, and especially at the Laconia Library which must have ten or more 'puter terminals.

Does Moultonborough or Center Harbor have a library with internet access and computer terminals?

Most likely, none of the public libraries would have a tv viewing room? Libraries and tv seem to be mutually exclusive of one another for some unknown reason?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
A pretty good number of people seem to use the free internet computer terminals at the Meredith Library, and especially at the Laconia Library which must have ten or more 'puter terminals.

Does Moultonborough or Center Harbor have a library with internet access and computer terminals?

Most likely, none of the public libraries would have a tv viewing room? Libraries and tv seem to be mutually exclusive of one another for some unknown reason?
Moultonborough has computers and free wifi inside during hours and free wifi outside 24X7.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Moultonborough has computers and free wifi inside during hours and free wifi outside 24X7.
Laconia library is the same. Sometimes, I think there is a party going on in the parking lot after hours. It's really folks using the free wi-fi with their laptops/smart phones.

I'm happy with Metrocast. I get basic cable and internet for less than $70. No box. I have a TV with a QAM tuner. I get HD channels, but you need to 'translate' the channels. For instance Channel 9 is '9' analog, '9-1', HD and '9-5', DT.

With basic internet I can 'stream' movies into my Bluray. Sick!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
songkrai

[QUOTE=TOAD;160983]OK...is it $80 or $90?

"It depends on what you are getting sir."

I want internet and basic TV stations where I can get my news channels.

Now listen carefully is it $80 or $90 a month for internet service and a minimal package so I can get Fox News, History and Discovery Channel?
QUOTE]

There is no simple answer. The best stated above is to visit Time Warner office in either Conway or Plymouth.

You can try all sorts of combinations of DSL, satellite, cable broadband. It all adds up to about the same. Satellite internet is very expensive, DSL (not available in all locations the last time I checked) is slightly less. Some have "promotions" for one year with a 2 year contract. Some have a promotional 1 year contract. Some "offers" throw in the broadband telephone. But today, most under a certain age do not need or use any land line phone.

I have Direct TV for television and I own my own equipment. After the 2 years, the satellite can be turned of and turned on at any time at any location. If you own your own equipment there is never any additional 2 year contract if you upgrade your equipment/receivers. I have one account with Direct TV at 2 locations. No, you can't have the 2 locations on at the same time. I have Time Warner for broadband.

Note carefully, that Direct TV, Dish Network, and Time Warner you may get different answers from different customer service people. The satellite ones - Direct and Dish are notorious for their lack of knowledge with customer service issues or questions.

Cable allows customer to go on "Winter" service. The broadband is dropped but TV still works.

There is no one best solution.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
TOAD

Now know that I can get the basic TV with my required channels and internet service through Time Warner for $99 month for a year as a new customer.

I would have considered visiting a local office but I'm in Mass and haven't moved up there yet. Didn't figure it would be any great shakes to get a price on a package that had Fox, History and Discovery over the phone.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Time warner cable

TWC removed Boston channels 4 and 5 off their station line up here on Squam Ashland Plymouth area Anybody know why? Just channel 7 left from Boston's 3 older stations. Ive been watching the channel 4-5 sports guys my whole life.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Sue Doe-Nym

Consider yourself lucky if you still get channel 7, NBC, out of Boston. Most of TWC customers lost channel 7 and no longer have any Boston station. They shut down our other Boston station, channel 4, due to their wanting more HD channels, according to what we are told.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Guy

That was a lie as we watch all three Boston channels in HD on another cable company. It's usually about money. The station wants more the cable company wants to pay less. Both sides can pull the plug.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

We have TWC in Moultonborough. We only get Channel 7 out of Boston on our TV's with an HD box, but not with those that don't have a box.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
RANGER CANOE CO

I have a hd box so I guess that's Y I still get 7. I cant believe some folks get ZERO Boston stations. I think it's a huge Jip losing 4 + 5. These affiliates where replace with small Vt affiliates to keep the networks on the Tel-ie. Probably for cheap $ Our cable system was bought and sold 3-4 times over the last 30-40 yrs. And now your left with a big greedy corporation that only cares about the stock holders $. It really $ucked during the Bruins playoffs.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
wifi

Default Its the law, now TW

As discussed here in the forums and explained by TWC in a selectmen meeting, Moultonboro, being in Carroll County is considered in the Portland market area, not Boston. This map is determined by the FCC, not Time Warner.

Apparently, the Portland NBC affiliate does not object to the Boston stations being shown in its marker area, hence Channel 7 is broadcast. The other Portland stations assert their right to object to out of market stations being shown (advertising revenue, you know).

So, the best course, as stated in the above linked articles is to petition the FCC, the same situation is experienced by Dish and Direct customers. Understandably, TWC doesn't want to be sued by violating the law, nor do any of the Satellite companies
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
songkrai

With satellite you just call CS and provide an address in Belknap county or anywhere. The receivers themselves are dumb. That is they do not know where they are located even if connected to a phone or cat5e.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
As discussed here in the forums and explained by TWC in a selectmen meeting, Moultonboro, being in Carroll County is considered in the Portland market area, not Boston. This map is determined by the FCC, not Time Warner.

Apparently, the Portland NBC affiliate does not object to the Boston stations being shown in its marker area, hence Channel 7 is broadcast. The other Portland stations assert their right to object to out of market stations being shown (advertising revenue, you know).

So, the best course, as stated in the above linked articles is to petition the FCC, the same situation is experienced by Dish and Direct customers. Understandably, TWC doesn't want to be sued by violating the law, nor do any of the Satellite companies
Channel 6 in Portland does object to Ch 7. They have the news which is different but when the programming is the same, you can't get Ch. 7 and they say something like Ch 6 has requested they don't (compete) and they agree to that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Sue Doe-Nym

Thank you wifi for the clarification that I failed to make. As you stated, whenever there is a national program, inclubing news, we get the blue screen with the message that channel 7 can't be broadcast. RG, you are in Belknap county and therefore in a different metro area served by, I think, Metrocast. The part that burns us is that TWC was not forced to take away channel 4 out of Boston, thereby eliminating our last prime time Boston channel.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
Two dobys

Default Twc

Over here in my place in S Maine we get both ch 6 Portland and Ch 7 Boston.
We lost ch 4 Boston a couple years ago.
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Channel 6 in Portland does object to Ch 7. They have the news which is different but when the programming is the same, you can't get Ch. 7 and they say something like Ch 6 has requested they don't (compete) and they agree to that.
I get the blue screen on Channel 7 when I use my TV's that don't have HD box's, but I get Channel 7 along with Channel 6 on my tv's with HD boxes. The channels both have the same shows on at the same time.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
Sue Doe-Nym

GBG, do you have TWC or Metrocast?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
NickNH

Default TWC Saga

TWC is NOT my friend these days......we first got cable up at our Lake house (M-boro) in 2005. All I asked for was to be sure we got NESN so my mother-in-law could watch her SOX.....and I required Internet as I work from the house frequently (sadly...let's not go there!).

So, since 2005 we've been getting Channels 2 - 75ish.....+ Internet for around $70/mo. Never asked for any changes.

About 2 weeks ago, we suddenly lost everything from Channel 21 to Channel 72 (still got 73-75 for some reason).

I called....was told I had been getting a "gift" all these years as I was paying the Basic Cable price and receiving the Classic Package. Um, no, NOT a "gift"...the channels that we received were EXACTLY what I had asked for and was given back in 2005. I was told I needed to pay another $50/month for the Classic package. Ok, fine.....gotta keep Grammy happy with her SOX.....when I made the switch I asked if the change was instant and that we would get the channels back right way...I was assured this was the case....

3 days later.....still no 21-73. Called again...."Oh no, ma'am (when did I become a "ma'am???)....there's a trap on your line and it needs to be physically removed.....and the earliest we can get out there is Monday, 6/27. Great.....so my sons friend who came up for the week from FLA won't get to see any of the Red Sox games either....fine......but I am NOT paying the extra charges when we're not getting the channels.....ok ma'am...we'll prorate your account.

Yesterday....got a telemessage from TWC.....you have an appointment tomorrow and someone 18 years or older has to be there from noon - 5. Ummm....NO! Nothing was said about having to be there.....called again.......I told them "You didn't seem to have any problem putting trap ON the line when no one was there....why do you need someone there to take it OFF???? Ooh no, ma'am......you don't have to be there...that's just the "standard" message that's sent out to everyone with appointments.....

I'm tempted to call Direct TV although not sure about a clear path to the dish as we have ALOT of trees around...also not liking the look of the dish on a rustic 1930's cabin.....but when I get up there next weekend if we STILL don't have those channels (that I was ASSURED would be there MA'AM!) I may have to rethink.....

Sorry for the rant.......
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Sometimes, when there's a satellite access problem the dish can get installed onto a 4x4 post, about 3-feet high, off on a remote spot on the property, like directly on the waterfront or something like that.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #25
songkrai

Time Warner Cable.

My neighbor advised me that he is paying $90.00 per month for basic TV.

I did not believe that it cost that much so today I attempted to telephone Time Warner.

Well, it is virtually impossible (if you do not have a number ahead of time) to telephone Time Warner cable. Conway does have a telephone number but you cannot actually speak with anyone. The recordings go around and around and around.

I attempted the Time Warner cable web site. There is a number someplace there but then again no person.

I eventually did get a real person in Atlanta, GA and she provided me with this number: 800-833-2253 for Time Warner cable.

I did find out that the standard monthly charge for Time Warner without HD is $70.00 per month for basic service.

Anyone get Time Warner cable for less? As a stand alone?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #26
Greene's Basin Girl

To: Sue-Doe-Nym

I ( Green's Basin Girl) have TWC
Old 06-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Time Warner Cable

I did find out that the standard monthly charge for Time Warner without HD is $70.00 per month for basic service.
If it is similar to Metrocast Cable for Meredith, which has a walk-in office in Belmont, there are additional monthly fees for the black box and clicker and local town fees which bring it up another ten dollars to about 80-dollars.

Maybe the cable companies are aware that the two dish satellite services, DirecTV and Dish Network are promoting their two year service; $30/1st year and automatically raised up to 60/month second year and every year thereafter and simply do not want prospective buyers to know how much more their cable service costs, at least for the first year.

A credit card is required to start up a satellite dish account. A credit card is not needed to start up a cable account. So, that automatically locks out a big number of people who do not have a credit card, and makes them pay more for monthly tv service when they go with cable.

Going with DSL-FairPoint for $45/month and DirecTV $30/month could be one way to go?

32.9 million dollar man: DirecTV Prez Mike White definitely has something to smile about!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ite-was-169221
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #28
songkrai

Is there any way to get cable without a 12 month contract?

Time Warner - in digging into website - lists the following just for TV.

$49.95 per month.
$42.50 installation.

BUT. This is a 12 month contract. What do seasonal people do? If you are only here for 3 months you have to pay for a full year - as a new customer? And the website is not clear as to after the 12 month.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #29
jniff101

Default Maybe I can help

I have been living in Moultonboro almost all my life. TWC has had its ups and downs with me. With that said I am very happy with the service that is given to me from them.
I can answer your question TOAD first hand. I have both basic Internet and cable (channels 2-75) and I pay just under $80 a month. That's right, just under. I was paying almost $90 a month and I called saying that I was having a very hard time making the payments since my husband was out of work and things were very tight. I asked if there was anything they could do and they were very helpful in giving me a better deal. No contract either...never had one through them. All in all I am very happy with their service.
The reason it was hard to find someone to talk to is because you have to google TWC in Maine, that's when you get the number listed in an earlier post. When you get the answering machine and they give you all these options to choose from just dial 0 and you will get directed to a customer service rep. Hope this helps.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
C Tucker

Default seasonal service

We routinely switch to off-season for Nov-Apr. It is about $10-12 per month for the off-season with no service, but no installation charges or hassle each spring. I do end up having to call them to get service turned on although I have given them the date for turn on when I shut off in the fall.
The general customer service people can't seem to solve any problem but as soon as you get a tech you're all set. The techs do seem to know the equipment well and can talk you through any problem.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #31
Greene's Basin Girl

Whenever I call TWC I just have to go through a few prompts and then I can speak to someone in tech support. I never have to wait on the phone to speak to anyone. I think their customer service is great.