Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Reminder / Refresher

With the salmon season upon us, I thought I would post the attached link as a reminder to all who enjoy this wonderful fishery we call Winnipesaukee.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...rs_pledge.html

For you experienced anglers, I'm sure you have seen this and will continue to share the awareness and the importance of being a responsible fisherman.

For the new or less experienced angler, please read the attached, watch the video and take the pledge!

The more we all do to help our lake, the more of a chance it will be here for our children, grandchildren and their grandchildren to enjoy!!

Thanks for listening!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-05-2015 at 07:08 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (04-05-2015), mhtranger (04-06-2015), Orion (04-06-2015), PaugusBayFireFighter (04-07-2015), pjard (04-05-2015), secondcurve (04-06-2015), Sunbeam lodge (04-09-2015), Tired of Waiting (04-06-2015), trfour (04-05-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
CraigFerraro

Default Thanks and a question.

Thanks Dan. I've been fishing the lake for over 20 years now, but mainly in the warmer months. I'm trying to work in some time this spring for salmon. Would you say the first ten days after ice out are the best for catching salmon on the fly?

Craig
CraigFerraro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFerraro View Post
Thanks Dan. I've been fishing the lake for over 20 years now, but mainly in the warmer months. I'm trying to work in some time this spring for salmon. Would you say the first ten days after ice out are the best for catching salmon on the fly?

Craig
Hi Craig;

I personally wouldn't say "it's the best" but the salmon are usually pretty hungry and right up on top till sunrise chasing smelt mainly around their spawning tributaries so it is a little easier.

There is also a lot less fishing pressure overall early in the season, though places like Alton Bay and other similar tributary areas can get a little hectic. Once the derby hits, things slow down for a couple weeks as the salmon have seen just about everything dragged in front of them and are definitely more line shy. After the derby it's all about water temp and bait fish, mainly smelt and their migratory path. If you know where both of those are, you and your flies will have lots of fun catching fish all summer long!

I pretty much fish 95% flies only now when fishing for salmon. I just enjoy it more and seem to have better luck. Since I catch and release, a small single hook fly is also a lot easier on the salmon when releasing. I rarely use hardware.

Good luck Craig and use those flies even in the warm summer months!!

Dan
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
CraigFerraro

Default How's it look

Dan and others,

What's the scene up there right now? I read a report saying the salmon fisherman are out on the town docks. Anyone having any luck? I'm thinking about a trip up this weekend and throwing some streamers. Any thoughts? Too early?

Thanks,

Craig
CraigFerraro is offline   Reply With Quote