Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Barney Bear

Default Missing Buoy

While taking guests through one of our favorite lake locations, the narrow channel between Mark and Mink Islands, we observed that the red top spar buoy at the south end of Mink Island is missing. I called the Marine Patrol to report this missing buoy. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Music Man

OK, I'll say it: the buoy probably went out with a gull....
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
MeredithMan

....and they both went to the buoys and gulls club....

....and met up with bob, skip, Russell, and Ben Dover from another thread....
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
mishman

Default Does Marine Patrol respond quickly to missing/misplaced buoys

Just curious how quickly Marine Patrol responds to a buoy issue. I called the other day to report a buoy was in the wrong location and needed to be relocated to protect boaters from a rock ledge. The woman took down all the info but who knows if it will get reset in the right location.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
LFOD

Default May take a while

I reported one missing by the east side of Long Island multiple times over the past two years and haven't heard anything. Called and emailed Marine Patrol with no response.
LFOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
steve-on-mark

Just hug the Mark side of the channel and you'll be good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
....and they both went to the buoys and gulls club....

....and met up with bob, skip, Russell, and Ben Dover from another thread....
Don't forget Eileen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
SteveO123

Little buoy lost?
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
Just curious how quickly Marine Patrol responds to a buoy issue. I called the other day to report a buoy was in the wrong location and needed to be relocated to protect boaters from a rock ledge. The woman took down all the info but who knows if it will get reset in the right location.
Mishman: Where is this buoy? I'd like to put it on my list of things to check for Bizer's annual lake survey in September.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
I reported one missing by the east side of Long Island multiple times over the past two years and haven't heard anything. Called and emailed Marine Patrol with no response.
Ever since the state police took over Marine Patrol - things are different.

There is a buoy/marker missing near neighbors home. Had been there since the 1940's. Rocks/ledge in water.

Marine Patrol states that the marker is not needed anymore and that marker will not be replaced.

Go figure.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #11
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Ever since the state police took over Marine Patrol - things are different.

There is a buoy/marker missing near neighbors home. Had been there since the 1940's. Rocks/ledge in water.

Marine Patrol states that the marker is not needed anymore and that marker will not be replaced.

Go figure.
Could you be more specific as to the location of this former buoy so that I can confirm with MP and take if off my chart.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
mishman

Default misplaced buoy near Cook's Pt

The black buoy is located just nw of Cook's Pt in Moultonborough. The current buoy location does not protect boaters from a large rock ledge that is current 3.5 ft below water level. The buoy needs to be moved west approximately 100 ft to protect boaters from running into this ledge (as I did last week on my sail boat).
I will be very curious to see if Marine Patrol will do its job and relocate this buoy to protect boaters.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #13
Phantom

It is QUITE disconcerting to me that MP is slow to react to such obvious hazards when we rely so heavily upon the accurate charting of the Lake (Kudo's Bizer).

At this point, I rarely need to dig out my chart EXCEPT when boating up in Moultonborough FL#12 and beyond .... when it becomes a fixture in the gunwale at my side.

Totally agree that ever since State Police took over operations servicing boaters (not patrolling) has been severely impacted.

I could NOT BELIEVE that in States wisdom when building this multi million dollar (well needed) facility that they determined that it doesn't need a dispatch center, if for nothing else to monitor and be responsive to VHF Ch 16 calls ...................... this part I truly miss

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
Rich

The MP no longer listens to nor monitors ch 16?

Is this true? If yes, the topic deserves its own thread.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Light out in the Weirs Channel

I'm sure everyone is well aware the outermost light buoy on the lake, south side has been damage since spring. A close look and it appears someone had struck the buoy and damage the light. Will it ever be replace?
Why replace the old lights with expensive solar powered LED lights when you can't afford to replace them??????
Old 08-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
chaseisland

Default buoy

Knowing how members of this forum like pictures, thought I'd supply a picture of the missing buoy.Name:  20170811_134357.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  95.4 KB
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseisland View Post
Knowing how members of this forum like pictures, thought I'd supply a picture of the missing buoy.Attachment 13189
Your picture is just a wee bit to the left
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #18
noreast

Now that's funny chaseisland.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #19
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Chase, how about the next bay up? There has been one missing from there for a couple of years.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #20
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The MP no longer listens to nor monitors ch 16?

Is this true? If yes, the topic deserves its own thread.
When I visited the new MP facility this past Spring, I specifically asked if they were dispatching or had plans to dispatch out of the Glendale site and was told "NO" State Police Concord now is in control. I then asked about VHF monitoring and although a few of the Patrol boats have VHF's the Glendale cite was not equipped.

Getting a patrol boat is "hit or miss" for when they are underway at any speed they (as it is not their prime radio) never hear a call to them.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
When I visited the new MP facility this past Spring, I specifically asked if they were dispatching or had plans to dispatch out of the Glendale site and was told "NO" State Police Concord now is in control. I then asked about VHF monitoring and although a few of the Patrol boats have VHF's the Glendale cite was not equipped.

Getting a patrol boat is "hit or miss" for when they are underway at any speed they (as it is not their prime radio) never hear a call to them.

Wow, this is surprising news. You'd think they would let the boating community know of something as important as this.

A week or so ago I heard someone on ch 16 saying a few times "boat calling the marine patrol, do you need their cell phone number". I thought it was strange at the time. IMHO This should get fixed, but probably deserves its own thread.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
mishman

Default misplaced buoy relocated!

The misplaced buoy west of Cook's Pt in Moultonborough has been relocated to its proper position. Good for the Marine Patrol to get this done and save other boaters from hitting a rock. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Eventually, we'll all use GPS constantly, and we won't need the buoys. Airplanes have been navigating this way for ages, and they (almost) never hit a rock.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
Marine Patrol

Default Please contact me with Buoy Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD View Post
LFOD,

I am interested in the specific location of the buoy that has been missing for 2 years. I can be reached by calling 603-227-2110.

The Marine Patrol recognizes its important role in the safe navigation of all our waters and aim to replace markers as soon as possible.

The change in our administrative structure has not had any impact on our nav aid program. I take these comments seriously and request that people call our dispatchers with missing buoy info at 293-2037 #0. If you are not satisfied with our response to buoy concerns, please let me know.

Finally, with all due respect to this forum...posting missing buoy info on this sight is not going to get the proper response from the Marine Patrol. I urge you to please take the time to call us.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Captain
NH Marine Patrol
Marine Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
Blyblvrd

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Patrol View Post
LFOD,

I am interested in the specific location of the buoy that has been missing for 2 years. I can be reached by calling 603-227-2110.

The Marine Patrol recognizes its important role in the safe navigation of all our waters and aim to replace markers as soon as possible.

The change in our administrative structure has not had any impact on our nav aid program. I take these comments seriously and request that people call our dispatchers with missing buoy info at 293-2037 #0. If you are not satisfied with our response to buoy concerns, please let me know.

Finally, with all due respect to this forum...posting missing buoy info on this sight is not going to get the proper response from the Marine Patrol. I urge you to please take the time to call us.

Safe Boating!!

Tim Dunleavy
Captain
NH Marine Patrol
Thanks for the response and the clear information on the best process. Much appreciated!
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #26
znh

Default Additional missing buoy

The black-spar buoy that has always been out in front of Ellacoya State Park is not there this year? Wonder if it was removed or just missing? I will also contact MP directly to ask but just wanted to put it here for other people to take notice...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
Phantom

That Black Spar is quite important as it marks the beginning of a QUITE shallow area that extends over to Lakeshore Park !!

Three years ago I helped drag a 32 footer back to deeper waters after he essentially beached himself there.

(I didn't say that the Captain was the brightest bulb in the chain -- now did I)

Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #28
znh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
That Black Spar is quite important as it marks the beginning of a QUITE shallow area that extends over to Lakeshore Park !!

Three years ago I helped drag a 32 footer back to deeper waters after he essentially beached himself there.

(I didn't say that the Captain was the brightest bulb in the chain -- now did I)

So first off, the Marine Patrol has already called me a couple of times to discuss this and I tip my hat to their prompt and concerned service.

Apparently this is not an official 'navigational buoy' but were black top buoy's supplied to Ellacoya State Park to put out there to help keep people away from the large swimming area. So if it is not out there this year that is a decision by Ellacoya or they ran out of buoy's. Either way the MP is working with Ellacoya to figure out a plan to help mark this area to keep the swimming area safe,and I expressed that the shallow water there should also be marked as it is certainly a hazard, especially at lower lake levels. They are going to discuss internally and get back to me.

Oddly enough this marker does NOT show up on the Duncan Press maps, but does show up on the Bizer maps and app. I wonder if it shows up on Navionics or other similar apps / maps?

To be continued...(enter Batman music)...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #29
Phantom

znh -- thanks for the informative reply .......

as for your question -- YES - it shows on the Navionics chart.

Attached Images

Old 08-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
Phantom

For those interested --- here is a link to Navionics chart so you don't have to hunt around for it

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=kx%7DhGdpqrL

Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #31
smith point boater

Default Thank you all

Wish we had the "Thanks" button (understand why we don't) but thank you to all for the responses on a very important topic to those of us who boat all areas of the lake. Shout out to Marine Patrol for posting and defining how we should alert them to problems we find. It benefits us all and they (Marine Patrol) can't be everywhere.
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #32
ApS

Question MP Hidden in Plain Sight?

The Marine Patrol has small boats whose specific mission is in keeping markers in their proper place. Another is for inspecting moorings: both types are skippered by only one person aboard.

One "workboat" in particular I've seen perhaps once per season for maybe 25 years. It's a Whaler-type outboard loudly projecting its distinctive sound from ˝-mile away as it approaches—as it porpoises badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
Wish we had the "Thanks" button (understand why we don't) but thank you to all for the responses on a very important topic to those of us who boat all areas of the lake. Shout out to Marine Patrol for posting and defining how we should alert them to problems we find. It benefits us all and they (Marine Patrol) can't be everywhere.
If you see one of the above boats near missing markers, maybe hail it, and get the up-to-date scoop?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #33
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
... Oddly enough this marker does NOT show up on the Duncan Press maps, but does show up on the Bizer maps and app. I wonder if it shows up on Navionics or other similar apps / maps? ...
The buoy off Ellacoya was decommissioned in 2014. It does not appear on Bizer's latest edition. This fact is in Bizer's list of corrections to Bizer's 9th (March 2012) edition.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #34
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Bizer, does Duncan even make charts any more or are you the only show in town?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #35
LoveLakeLife

There's a missing red and white buoy at the southwest corner of Long Island. The lighted one is there near Jonathan's but the unlit one around the corner is invisible.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote