Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
JasonG

Default how do I get the water out of my seat cushions?

We have a 5 year old boat that got it with rain heavy while the cover was off. The seat cushion foam got wet in many cushions. Shy of cutting the seat apart, how do I get the water out of the foam?

The seats are in fantastic shape, so I am not keen on opening them. I let them drain on a seam which helped get water out.

thanks!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
brk-lnt

Are there drain holes in the base of the cushions?

Waterlogged cushions can be very hard to dry out, and not all cushions use the same foam and materials so there isn't an easy universal answer.

I'd start by trying to compress them and squish as much water out as possible and then bring them indoors to someplace warm and dry. Maybe even put them in a room with a dehumidifier (if you have one).
Old 11-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Perhaps this might work.

Get some of that silica stuff.

I use it in the boat when I put it away in the winter. Two of them, and they take the moisture out of the boat. Little to no mildew.

So, if the seat cushions would fit in a plastic tub, thinking those Rubbermaid tubs, that might work. Or putting them in a large plastic bag with the same material in the bag.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Kamper

Prop them on a corner and leave them there for the winter. It's okay of they freeze. You will never get all the moisture out of them unless you cut them open, in which case they will not look so good if you put them back together yourself.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Merrymeeting

Not sure I agree with the prior replies.

It's a boat. Assuming a good design from a quality manufacturer, it should be designed to get wet. Boats get wet...rain, splash, etc.

It will cost you in electricity this time of year, but if it were mine, I'd cover it in a way that keeps reasonable heat in while letting moisture out. Then use a small heater to bring up the temp in order to dry them out.

Given enough time, heat and evaporation should do the job.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Once dry, you should probably think about adding a zipper for future wet episodes.

Dan
Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
ApS

Smile Good DIY Winter Project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
Prop them on a corner and leave them there for the winter. It's okay if they freeze. You will never get all the moisture out of them unless you cut them open, in which case they will not look so good if you put them back together yourself.
Even hung up by a corner all winter and heated, I'd expect the stitching (and maybe even the fabric) will appear mildewed by spring, with the foam still damp. (So they're not going to look very good anyway). You could start by pinching one corner and use a leather punch to make two perforations.

Me? I'd start over:

Locate large sheets of closed-foam material, such as that found in PFD Type IIs and swim noodles.

Then cut open the cushions down the center. Add the foam material cut somewhat oversized (for firmness). GORILLA® makes a transparent and strong "Duct Tape". Then seal with GORILLA® Tape or add zippers. The cut surface would have to be "down" all the time—as would a zipper. Cut drain holes in a corner with a leather punch—which could also be done now, as above.

The result would be cushions that are firm, non-absorbent, easier to dry for next time, and add a measure of PFD type IV flotation safety.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
JasonG

Thanks!
I have them leaned up on a shelf in the boiler room in my basement.
No zippers, no holes for draining.

Wondering if I take a small paddle bit to the bottom for a hole or two would be a good idea. Then I could staple in the same black fabric to cover the hole.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Thanks!
I have them leaned up on a shelf in the boiler room in my basement.
No zippers, no holes for draining.

Wondering if I take a small paddle bit to the bottom for a hole or two would be a good idea. Then I could staple in the same black fabric to cover the hole.
Technically a forstner bit would make a cleaner hole and reduce the chances that you tear up the foam. But generally speaking I think that's a good idea.
JasonG (11-30-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Rich

If your covering is in good shape, perhaps take it to someone that specializes in repairs and have them restuff with new foam, or a foam that won't hold water.

Perhaps someone like Ship-Shape marine. They can take out the old foam, install new and restitch the seams.

This should be a lot less expensive than having a new cushion made as there is not a lot of labor involved.

If you try to wait for your current foam to dry out itself, you will probably end up with mold stained covers, then the replacement will be a lot more expensive in the long run.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it works out in the long run.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
salty dog

I like what Rich is recommending. I really wonder if you're not able to expose the foam if it ever completely dry. I'm having my port and starboard bow cushions re-done but for a different reason, however it might be a reasonable and effective solution for you. My cushions are too soft (in my opinion) and after sitting on them for about 10 minutes, your butt is right on the hard plywood as the foam completely compresses. A local marine and auto upholsterer is re-doing them using the existing vinyl for $100 ea plus cost of new HD foam, 3" thick, 2.8 density which will hold anyone's weight. This includes new black backing and drilling corner holes. I'm pleased with the price although I'm sure it could be a DIY with someone more talented than I am.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
ApS

Arrow Just Do One Side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If your covering is in good shape, perhaps take it to someone that specializes in repairs and have them restuff with new foam, or a foam that won't hold water. Perhaps someone like Ship-Shape marine. They can take out the old foam, install new and restitch the seams. This should be a lot less expensive than having a new cushion made as there is not a lot of labor involved. If you try to wait for your current foam to dry out itself, you will probably end up with mold stained covers, then the replacement will be a lot more expensive in the long run. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and how it works out in the long run.
If the OP really likes the foam density, cut open one side, and remove the foam so it can be fully dry by Spring. In Spring, take the cushions to a professional, and replace the cut panel with a panel made of breathable Sunbrella®.

Should your cushions be drenched again, the cushions can be squeezed out and dried in the sun. The color of the new Sunbrella® material may include a perfectly-matching shade.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
michael yopp

Default wet seat's

Jason, I don't believe there is a way to dry them. The only way is to replace the foam. You can take them out for the winter and bring them indoors.
I have always taken them out and kept them inside. I am looking for dock space in Gilford area, if you know of one please let me know.
Thank you
Michael
michael yopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
V ger

Red face Drying Cushions

This usually works well.
Drill a hole or holes in the plywood base or back of the cushion.
Cut notches or drill holes in a short section of reinforced PVC hose.
Tape the hose to the cushions plywood backing.
Place a some bubble wrap bubble side against the hose and plywood to keep the bag from sealing the hose.
Place the cushion in a plastic bag.
Seal the bag with tape where the PVC hose exits the bag.
Connect the hose to a vacuum pump. Not a vacuum cleaner.
Drawing the air out of the sealed bag will compress the cushion squeezing much of the water out. The low pressure will speed evaporation. A little gentle heat will speed the drying process. You may have to repeat this a few times to get complete drying.

Last edited by V ger; 01-17-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: 1 step skipped
V ger is offline   Reply With Quote