Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
speed

Default Spiritual

Does anyone else feel that the Big Lake has a Spiritual feel/Aura to it?
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speed For This Useful Post:
beachgal (06-12-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly

Absolutely!! It's the "Smile of the Great Spirit" after all!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

All you have to do is cruise through the gallery and look at some of the pictures in there. Like the sunsets, sunrises, wildlife.....Yeah there is something spiritual about the lake alright. And I think when people take those pictures the person taking it finds something spiritual within themselves when they click the shutter, and they say something to themselves like....Man that was cool....
And then there is pull the Lake has....you just have to come back once you have been here. Yes the Lake can grab your soul. And once it does you are not getting it back.....
Attached Images

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-10-2010), Jonas Pilot (06-11-2010), mommyjosie (09-08-2010), Redwing (06-14-2010), Waterbaby (06-11-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
ApS

Default Not Aesthetics...but Survival...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Absolutely!! It's the "Smile of the Great Spirit" after all!
Agreed...

About Lake Winnipesaukee, what honorable AmerIndianwould have reflected:

Quote:
"Beautiful Water in a High Place"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-11-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
NHKathy

Default Absolutely!!

Lake Winni and it's beauty and serenity is very spiritual...
"Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God"

and I absolutely agree about the picture taking...
capturing that beauty is quite a feeling
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lake Winnipesaukee

As far back as I can remember, as I am sitting on the pier when the sun rises in the morning. I hear the lapping of the waves on the shore. It sounds as if a spirit is talking to me. Then the cry of a loon confirm my believe. This is the smile of the great spirit.
Waterbaby (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
LadyJane

Default Spirit

Absolutely !!! The lake and the mountains here have a special energy and it does keep pulling me back. I feel different here, no doubt about it. No matter how I'm feeling.....it lifts me up a few notches.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
fodalo

Default Spiritual

I agree there is, after all it was made by GOD for us!
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
It's the "Smile of the Great Spirit" after all!
That's not the Great Spirit. That's Pastor Bob Farah...keep a hand on your wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (06-12-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Pineedles

Default The spirit moves me

It refreshes my soul everytime I come back here! Ready to take on the world, or communists, which ever comes first after my time here!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Lucy Goose

Default Something always draws me here

Since I was a child I have been coming up here either renting cottages, skiing all the time, hiking you name it. I love it up here. Went to ski camp at Mt. Pero in Plymouth all my life as a child. Wonder if anyone remembers it. I have always loved it up here and finally this year was able to by a home in Melvin Village. Coincidently the Abenaki Tower is almost next to us and I am a small part Abenaki heritage. Maybe that is why I keep coming back. And now to stay. When I am here I am in a different world. As I sit and type I overlook the lake and the mountains and all their glory like a post card every day. And I never tire of it. AMAZING!!! and so happy to finally be able to purchase a home and a boat to thoroughly enjoy everything there is to offer in this region. I look forward to meeting different folks as well. So far everyone has been out of there way truly wonderful!

Lucy Goose
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

The first ride in the boat in the spring is so exciting to me, every single year. I love to be back out on the water again. It is a feeling I can't describe
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Since I was a child I have been coming up here either renting cottages, skiing all the time, hiking you name it. I love it up here. Went to ski camp at Mt. Pero in Plymouth all my life as a child. Wonder if anyone remembers it. I have always loved it up here and finally this year was able to by a home in Melvin Village. Coincidently the Abenaki Tower is almost next to us and I am a small part Abenaki heritage. Maybe that is why I keep coming back. And now to stay. When I am here I am in a different world. As I sit and type I overlook the lake and the mountains and all their glory like a post card every day. And I never tire of it. AMAZING!!! and so happy to finally be able to purchase a home and a boat to thoroughly enjoy everything there is to offer in this region. I look forward to meeting different folks as well. So far everyone has been out of there way truly wonderful!

Lucy Goose
Hi Lucy and welcome! Do you happen to remember a small ski camp that was run by the Greers in Plymouth. They owned a small area and had their own rope toe etc? He was a school teacher in MA as I recall. There were trips to his ski camp during school vacations. It ran in two sessions I think....half a week and half a week. Does any of this sound familiar. I think there was a daughter who was disabled in some way and maybe a son who died? Any of this sound at all familiar?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Funny - how many times has man tried to create something synthetic to produce the same kind of experience as those described here? It's impossible to do, the wonders of the natural world are simply amazing for those that take the time to unplug and get out there and really experience it. The lake is a unique and magical place, no doubt about it. When just being there seems to allow us to forget about life for a while, or melt those worries away.... as they say on the MasterCard commercials, it's simply priceless.

For those who have never experienced it, they may never understand, for those that have it's an addictive drug to which there is no cure. Places like this web site are merely the equivalent to a couple Advil and a support group until we can once again get our lake fix. If there was a lake goers anonymous I'd be a lifetime member!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
mommyjosie (09-08-2010)
Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
beachgal

Default Spiritual

I was sitting on the swimraft one afternoon, admiring the beautiful lakeshore- trees,sky,lake-thinking of the Indians, and how they lived back in the day. I was really thinking how much they respected and cherished the land...thought of how the lake helped them survive and how it was so vital for them. As I dove off the raft and swam towards shore, still concentrating on the Indians lives...an American Bald Eagle came out of the treeline and started flying over my head...circling me- getting lower and lower!! I called to my husband who witnessed this, then the eagle flew off! I felt a VERY spiritual connection to the lake and Indians since then!!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
speed

Beachgal: I feel the same way!
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

beachgal...LOL your lucky. I think that Eagle thought you were lunch! yeah that would have been "spritual" alright! Would have given me a heart attack!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Cleanses my soul

Returning to the lake every year is a ritual, which cleanses my soul and reinforces my spirituality, and re-strengthens my cycle to nature.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Hi Lucy and welcome! Do you happen to remember a small ski camp that was run by the Greers in Plymouth. They owned a small area and had their own rope toe etc? He was a school teacher in MA as I recall. There were trips to his ski camp during school vacations. It ran in two sessions I think....half a week and half a week. Does any of this sound familiar. I think there was a daughter who was disabled in some way and maybe a son who died? Any of this sound at all familiar?
Sure sounds like Mt. Pero ski camp. They had their own rope tow. And yes we would go on school vacations. With two lessons a day and they would teach us how to race. But the folks I knew who ran it were name Frank Favorite and I don't remember his wifes name. They had a huge fireplace which heated all the cabin bedrooms upstairs. They had a small candy store and old fashioned bowling alleys. Mr. Favorite use to tell the story of the green hand and the dog would sit outside howling scaring any of the newbies to the camp. He was a school teacher in Mass. We use to take the bus from a school in Reading Ma. up to Plymouth. The hill sits across from Mt. Tenney.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #20
ApS

Red face Addictive...No Cure in Sight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
"...an American Bald Eagle came out of the treeline and started flying over my head...circling me- getting lower and lower!! I called to my husband who witnessed this, then the eagle flew off! I felt a VERY spiritual connection to the lake and Indians since then...!!"
You've reminded me of how the American Bald Eagle can inspire one's spirituality. I witnessed this encounter with two Bald Eagles and posted it to this forum seven years ago:

Quote:
"I learned a lot about eagles one quiet sunny afternoon last weekend. It’s great that bald eagles have made a comeback.

"No chainsaws, no back-up alarms, no boats -- the first clue was a distant, high, shrill cry -- inflected upwards: Kweee-erk? Kweee-erk? Kweee-erk? Kweee-erk? Kweee-erk?

"From my dock, all I could see were two tiny dots in the sky, soaring in large circles -- perhaps a mile high. Checking the bird book wasn’t any help: "various squeaks and squeals". The same cries got louder, though, as one bird had dropped quickly, swaying in tight semi-circles, left and right, with his talons spread wide and down. 'Jinking' -- like a dive-bomber.

"It was a young bald eagle, and he 'pulled up' just as he reached the water and snagged a fish floating on the surface ¼-mile away. Unnoticed (by me, anyway), the second eagle had swooped down on the first, reaching down with his talons. The first eagle dropped the fish, flipped over on his back in flight, and returned the 'threat'.

"I’ve seen body-surfing seals, and otters body-surfing muddy banks repeatedly -- even tree swallows snatching feathers out of the air carrying them even higher, and releasing them for another tree swallow to repeat the 'fun'.

"'Fun' doesn’t happen in Nature very often.

"The 'fun' was probably a practice exercise: bald eagles will do this to ospreys to get a "free" fish. Some ospreys will put on a long burst of speed and dodging, but the result is always the same. A passing eagle -- minding his own business -- will get the same threat from large ospreys.

"These bald eagles were apparently healthy, large, well-fed 'juveniles' (no white markings yet) -- and they were clearly playing with their food. Though colored a very dark brown, both had a beautiful polished 'coat' of feathers which gleamed when the angle of the sun was right. This teasing went on for 15 minutes, with just one more attempt at the fish -- again 'unsuccessful'.

"Finally, they broke off the merriment, and headed in my direction at treetop-level. As they approached, it was clear that they were both panting -- like puppies after play!

"Although I had stayed very still, they saw me just as they reached my treeline, suddenly banked together above the treetops and, for a moment, the late afternoon sun flashed silver-gold across their broad backs and wings."
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
beachgal

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
beachgal...LOL your lucky. I think that Eagle thought you were lunch! yeah that would have been "spritual" alright! Would have given me a heart attack!
HA-HA!! I actually thought of that...except he would have been going after quite a "large" fish!!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote