Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
SeaDog

Default New Boat Advice??

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to put a quick request out there for general advice on a new boat purchase. We are at Samoset, moored right on the broads, and I owned a 17.5' foot Bayliner bowrider about 10 years ago. I loved it and only sold it when I had some changes in my life that dramatically cut down time for the boat and funds. Of course, I also remember some rough rides in and out of Samoset since I used it mostly on weekends and it got pushed around a little bit here and there.

I am eager to get back on the boat during the summers and headed to the boat show this week hoping I might find the right deal. Before getting the "advice" from any salesman, though, I thought I would get some advice on here.

First, recognizing that 17.5 feet does not quite equal comfort on the broads, what do you recommend as the minimum length? I have searched through the forum and seen a range of suggestions here. Also, what other measurements or features (beam, weight, etc) would you suggest I look at?

Second, any advice on the ideal boat style or even company would be appreciated. Mostly I used it for fishing and just cruising with the family around the lake. I recall someone telling me a deckboat may be a better choice than a bowrider. I got the Bayliner years back because it was affordable, but I also see on here it does not seem highly recommended? Cheap build? Open to other suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for the advice and suggestions. If I do find the right deal I will be sure to follow up on here!
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Look for a boat with a higher deadrise at transom so it slices through chop and wake as opposed to pounding through the same. 22 or (even better) 24 degrees. 21 feet is the minimum I would run and even at that length there are days it should stay on its mooring!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

My wife and I looked at deck boats and pontoons last summer. We ended up with a pontoon because it had more room for fishing, lounging, etc. We absolutely love it, BUT now that we'll be keeping it west of Moultonborough Bay, I wish we would've gotten a larger engine than the 70HP so we could get to places quicker, especially after seeing tritoons scooting around. Since our chillens are both under five, it'll do for now, but in a couple years when they start with water sports, we'll trade in for a tri. LOVE the toon, though.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to put a quick request out there for general advice on a new boat purchase. We are at Samoset, moored right on the broads, and I owned a 17.5' foot Bayliner bowrider about 10 years ago. I loved it and only sold it when I had some changes in my life that dramatically cut down time for the boat and funds. Of course, I also remember some rough rides in and out of Samoset since I used it mostly on weekends and it got pushed around a little bit here and there.

I am eager to get back on the boat during the summers and headed to the boat show this week hoping I might find the right deal. Before getting the "advice" from any salesman, though, I thought I would get some advice on here.

First, recognizing that 17.5 feet does not quite equal comfort on the broads, what do you recommend as the minimum length? I have searched through the forum and seen a range of suggestions here. Also, what other measurements or features (beam, weight, etc) would you suggest I look at?

Second, any advice on the ideal boat style or even company would be appreciated. Mostly I used it for fishing and just cruising with the family around the lake. I recall someone telling me a deckboat may be a better choice than a bowrider. I got the Bayliner years back because it was affordable, but I also see on here it does not seem highly recommended? Cheap build? Open to other suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for the advice and suggestions. If I do find the right deal I will be sure to follow up on here!
Hi Sea Dog: what is your budget? I probably would look in the used market as there are lots of deals when someone decides to get out of boating. The fall is the best time to buy. Good luck!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
paintitredinHC

Default Pre-owned

I recommend finding an older Formula from the late 80's to early 90's. They are incredible in rough water due to their sharp deadrise. A few years ago, my family bought a Formula 223 (~24'w/swim platform) from Meredith Marina to use down on the Chesapeake Bay. It was a great deal for a ton of boat under $15k. It was basically a time capsule from the 90's - spend most of it's life out of the water on the racks.

Now, it might not be the best for fishing, but it is actually pretty darn efficient getting from point A to B. And the classic lines turn a few heads too. For the life of me, I can't understand why people buy new boats when you can find a deal like that. (Those deals are out there, you just gotta find em')
paintitredinHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintitredinHC For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Sea dog,

If you can make it to the boat show, stop in at Winnisquam Marines booth and speak to Ryan Crawford about your needs. They sell both pontoons and fiberglass and he will set you up with the proper boat and treat you right.

My personal feeling would be a tritoon in the 24' range with big horsepower. I think this setup will do exactly what you ask just nicely and be a very a safe platform for your family.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dan
SeaDog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
pjard

Last year I bought a new 24' Berkshire STS series RFC 231 (check out their web site). I looked long and hard for a good fishing and just cruising/pleasure boat. I wanted a boat where the fishing didn't interfere with the cruising and vice versa. I liked this one the best. It really is like two different boats. Premier was a close second so I second talking to Winnisquam Marine. With regards to handling the broads, I put 230 hours on the boat last year without any issues even on the worst windy summer Saturdays....except for that Sophie C and Doris E....man they leave a wake...LOL! Anyway, if you're going to Boston this week stop by Irwin Marine and ask for Raj...tell him Paul sent you. I'm going on Friday so I haven't been yet but I think Irwin is in the SeaRay booth and Berkshire booth.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

I love my Harris 24' tritoon. We can travel anywhere on the lake without any problems, even on those rough days.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
jrc

I spent four years at Samoset with a 26 foot searay bow rider. It was a good fit for Samoset. Pretty much the biggest you can have with 8.5 foot beam. Really if you go smaller you will move up eventually, so save the loss of a trade-in.

A lot of people had the 240 deckboat, it also was a good fit. I have not shopped for boats in a few years so I don't know if they still make similar models.

The unique combination of Samoset is mooring balls and waves from the broads. Samoset mooring balls demand an open bow, you really don't want to try and pick up one with a closed bow. When I was there the mooring had no painters.

But the big, broads waves suggest a closed bow. So a trade off needs to be made. I enjoy many more days of boating since leaving Samoset. Mooring in a breaking surf is not a fun end to a day of boating.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #10
SeaDog

Default Thanks...

Just a quick thank you for these replies and thoughts on the boats. Very helpful and very valuable. I checked back in hoping for two or three responses and was pleasantly surprised by the quick response. Much appreciated! I am looking forward to visiting the show on Friday I think and welcome all these views in my decision-making process.

I definitely need to look closer at the pontoons and tritoons. I never really considered them because I think I had a naive view of them, being slower cruising boats that take a long time to get places, awkward maneuvering with their rectangular shape, and getting swamped on a mooring on the broads. But, not only from these replies but also from many many messages on the forum here, I am coming to realize that perception may be very very wrong. So... more homework for me going forward. =)

Thanks again for the feedback and advice! And thanks, in advance, for any advice yet to come!

Last edited by SeaDog; 02-16-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added comments
Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
NHskier

I would second the recommendation to consider a used boat. You can either save considerable $$ or get much more for your dollar, sometimes both.

Most of the marinas on the lake have used boats taken in trade or on consignment, and you can see what they have available on their websites. The best situation is where the dealer originally sold the boat and has done all the service and storage work, and therefore has all the records available. We've bought two such boats and have been very satisfied. Our most recent was a 2002 with less than 200 hours on the engine, purchased in 2014. One owner, all history and records available, and the dealer knew the boat inside-out because they'd originally sold it (and others of the same model).

Consider a marine inspection - well worth the money. Stick with high quality brands - you'll find many recommendations here on the forum. (Bayliner is typically considered an entry level make. Similar brands do not always hold up as well over time, so more of a consideration when buying used.)

Fall is a good time for used boats but I would think there can be some deals mid-winter too. Of course you should water test, so have to be able to work with a seller to hold for that. It'll be a bit before that can happen.

Good luck with the hunt!
SeaDog (02-16-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I think I recall from another thread here that the 24' Sea Ray Deck Boat is about the most popular boat on the lake. There's no question Irwin Marine and Sea Ray have great reputations. I understand the appeal of the open bow for mooring, spreading out the guests, etc. Personally, as an island resident, I prefer the closed bow for rough water. It also gives a cuddy cabin for safe storage of equipment, out of sight when you are at public docks. Nice to be able to leave some extra jackets or whatever on board so you don't have to load and unload every time you go out. If you are financing, the cuddy may make sense since sleeping quarters and a head make the loan interest tax deductible as a "second home". If your boat is exposed to the weather a lot, I'd look for a model that doesn't have a lot of upholstery on the sides of the cockpit or decks. It's easy to reupholster seats. Not so easy to do all those trim panels that are subject to more wear and tear than you might expect. If you fish, nothing with carpet, or at least snap in carpets. It's a lot easier to wash and mop than it is to vacuum. Same applies if you like to picnic and spill food when a wave hits.
I've had a lot of boats, but never a 'toon. However, they're getting to be very popular, so they certainly deserve a look.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 03:38 AM   #13
SAB1

I think you need to establish a price range for people to help. All good ideas above but until people see how much money you want to spend, not much they can do. As above the deeper the "v" the better it will cut the water. If you buy used do your best to stay out of boats that have been in the salt water. I would head to the boat show for sure and look at what you want. Everything will be there and you cut down your running around time this spring by going there and establishing whAt you like. If you can't afford new you will know what you are looking for used.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
SeaDog (02-19-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
Closetzguy

Default 1st boat last year

Last year was my first year on the lake so I feel your pain with boat choices. I ended up with a used SeaRay 230. My wife is a bit nervous on the water so anything smaller would have been asking for trouble or lots of lonely rides! (Hey, maybe I should have gone with the 17')

I have plenty of room for guest, ample power for towing and zipping across the broads, and because it is older; I don't get too worried about putting the first scratch on it while docking, etc.

Agree with SAB1, we need your budget to better advise! Good luck!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
Dad sold the C * C

I would strongly recommend renting a Tri-toon. I had been out of boating a number of years and had similar thoughts about Pontoon boats.
A few years ago I took a Tri-toon for a test drive at Winnisquam Marine's "in-water demo day"; since then they have been my boat of choice when on vacation. So far I'm still renting when I want a boat, it works for us right now.

If your boating days are limited I would think about renting for a year and see what's out there now. Happy hunting!
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #16
Leoskeys

Go 24' or larger if you want to boat on Saturday!
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

^ Maybe for a bowrider or similar, but we have a 20' pontoon with 25" toons (only two) and we've not had any issues. In fact, we were scooting around The Weirs on that weekend in early fall that many referred to the busiest day of the summer. We had my 70-year-old father, 4-year-old son, and 2-year-old daughter on board.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
Happy Gourmand

If you want to boat on the weekends, you should consider a pontoon boat.
I don't know where you spend your summers, but you might also consider the American Boat Club just north of Weirs beach. That would give you the opportunity to use fiberglass hulled boats and pontoon boats. That's what we did after we sold our Four Winns 24' bowrider and didn't know if we should get another bowrider or a pontoon boat.
We went with a Premier PTX with 200HP and have no regrets.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

What do you want to do with the boat.. that is what I really need to know to give you good advice.

If you want to water ski and tube that is one style of boat ( 18 - 22 ft bow rider)

If you are looking for strictly cruising pleasure on reasonable days and less concerned with tubing, and water skiing.. ( 20 -26 ft. bow rider / deck boat / pontoon / cuddy cabin

If you are looking for extended cruising pleasure in all conditions (20 - 26 ft Cuddy Cabin w/ porta-pottie)

General thoughts to consider have already been mentioned.. Dead rise, and beam... these attribute make a huge difference in how a boat rides... I have a wider 18' four Winns and love it... The days when I won't venture, are the same days I wouldn't venture out even with a longer boat. On the flip side, I have been in other 18' that aren't as wide, and found them for less comfortable on the weekends...

My best advice for anyone looking at boats... Is don't just look... take boats out for test rides... Most Marina's will do this with out much prompting... the sales men love to be on the water as much as possible.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Also if you take a boat out make sure it's reasonably choppy... any boat will perform nice on flat, calm water, where you will see the difference is when the water isn't so flat!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Also if you take a boat out make sure it's reasonably choppy... any boat will perform nice on flat, calm water, where you will see the difference is when the water isn't so flat!
Yes true... of course the other alternative is to get out and create the chop yourself and ride back through it....
Old 02-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #22
SeaDog

Default More thanks...

Just another quick 'thank you' to everyone for the advice and helpful suggestions.Spent a good long visit at the boat show today. No new boat, but had fun looking and got a lot of questions answered. All the replies were very helpful. The tritoons were interesting and seemed like a nice choice for the combo of fishing and family cruising. Will most likely wait for a demo day since I have never been on one, never mind driven one, but I liked them a lot and they seem to get a lot of good feedback. Thanks again!