Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
jrc

Default Be careful out there!

This poor girl had her life changed by a preventable boating accident in Maine

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...44993&srvc=rss
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Merrymeeting

Even worse than missing the 5 buoys, I've read in other accounts that the rocks were only 20' from shore. Sadly, this could have been avoided by using a bit more caution. Tubing 20' from shore...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
NBR

A very good reason to have and use a kill switch.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
KayakinKid

Holy Bejeebus!

I hope that the young lady is able to resume a full and active life. Sometimes, the emotional scars are more crippling than the physical. I can only imagine the horrendous guilt that her father must be feeling right now, and hope that he is able to recover as well.

You would think that 5 markers are hard to miss. Maybe he was making a turn fairly close to shore, cut in too close to the shoreline and didn't see the markers as he came around the turn? Hard to say without actually seeing the area. Was he trying to drive and keep an eye on the tuber as well? Perhaps. I thought about the possibility of being blinded by the sun, but the accident occurred mid-afternoon, so a low-lying sun is out.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for all involved.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
ITD

Can't tell you how many times I see the potential for this when I am out there. People don't use charts and don't understand the buoys. If I'm in position I'll waive people away from danger. The scariest for me is when there is a boat full of young kids with parents barreling for the rocks near Center Harbor, I've flagged boats three times like this over the last 2 years. Felt bad for the last guy as his wife wasn't too happy, he sat for about 5 minutes while his wife let him have it, then slowly putted away.

Some don't stop though, one guy and his buddy kept going until a submerged rock stopped him, kicked up his outdrive. I went over and asked if he was ok, he just grunted yes, lowered his outdrive and limped away.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Can't tell you how many times I see the potential for this when I am out there. People don't use charts and don't understand the buoys. If I'm in position I'll waive people away from danger. The scariest for me is when there is a boat full of young kids with parents barreling for the rocks near Center Harbor, I've flagged boats three times like this over the last 2 years. Felt bad for the last guy as his wife wasn't too happy, he sat for about 5 minutes while his wife let him have it, then slowly putted away.

Some don't stop though, one guy and his buddy kept going until a submerged rock stopped him, kicked up his outdrive. I went over and asked if he was ok, he just grunted yes, lowered his outdrive and limped away.
For some out there the best way to learn is the hard way. Hopefully no one gets hurt during the learning process.
My wife and I have given up, we just slow down and watch the outcome.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
For some out there the best way to learn is the hard way. Hopefully no one gets hurt during the learning process.
My wife and I have given up, we just slow down and watch the outcome.
I believe that too BR, but sometimes the stakes are just too high, especially with 2 or 3 under fives sitting in the bow with big smiles on their faces, I just wouldn't have been able to live with myself. I'm also amazed at the number of people who make it through areas unscathed.... Darwinism will eventually get them.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote