Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
ApS

Wink PWCs Finally Get a Break...

Just in case you thought a PWC brake-light kit was unnecessary, and the patent for PWC brakes received bad press two years ago—some news!

November 2009 Popular Science magazine has given kudos to a $16,500 Seadoo model, which has a new adjustable suspension as well as brakes.

PWC owners seem to be divided on the issue. One owner's reaction to the addition of brakes to PWCs:

(...to which this observer agrees... )

Quote:
"...If you're going to hit something, TURN...!!!"
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
NoBozo

This type of device has been standard on "Water Jet" drive boats since their inception. Although it's NOT represented as a Brake, but rather as a reverse gear for backing up. A clamshell like device rotates down behind the nozzel and redirects the jet pumps thrust foreward. Water jets are known for poor handling at slow (idle) speed and most have Bow Thrusters to help with docking.

This same clamshell idea is used on jet planes (reverse thrust) to slow them down after touchdown, combined with the normal braking. NB

PS: Interestingly, the Brake lever in the video is on the LEFT handlebar....just the Opposite of a motorcycle. The handbrake on ALL motorcycles is on the Right, .. and the Left lever is the clutch, which disengages the drive system when pulled. All controls on motorcycles have been standardized (by law) as to location, no matter the manufacturer.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (02-06-2010)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
PS: Interestingly, the Brake lever in the video is on the LEFT handlebar....just the Opposite of a motorcycle. The handbrake on ALL motorcycles is on the Right, .. and the Left lever is the clutch, which disengages the drive system when pulled. All controls on motorcycles have been standardized (by law) as to location, no matter the manufacturer.

I suspect they considered a PWC more akin to a snowmobile than a motorcycle when deciding where to put the brake lever.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default Hinkley Picnic Boat

This boat may arguably be the ultimate pleasure boat powered by Jet Drives. The "Picnic Boat" comes in a number of sizes with this one on the larger side at 37 feet. The Picnic Boat models are considered just "Day Cruisers" so are priced accordingly at a modest $715,000.

I saw one of these Picnic Boats on a Demo Ride a few years ago and the handling at speed is phenominal. It can do a 180 at full speed in almost its own length. It reminded me of a Jet Ski. You had better be holding on.

http://www.dancewithshadows.com/moto...boat-unveiled/
Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
This boat may arguably be the ultimate pleasure boat powered by Jet Drives. The "Picnic Boat" comes in a number of sizes with this one on the larger side at 37 feet. The Picnic Boat models are considered just "Day Cruisers" so are priced accordingly at a modest $715,000.

I saw one of these Picnic Boats on a Demo Ride a few years ago and the handling at speed is phenominal. It can do a 180 at full speed in almost its own length. It reminded me of a Jet Ski. You had better be holding on.

http://www.dancewithshadows.com/moto...boat-unveiled/
I really like their T38R. Nice boat.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
NoBozo

For those not familiar with Hinkley. They are one of the high end American yacht builders ...exclusively building sailing yachts...in wood...in the 40s..and then later in fiberglass..until a decade or two ago when they started building small power boats. They are built in SW Harbor Maine..and recently in Portsmouth, RI.

When you own a Hinkley...you have arrived. NB
Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
dog paw

Here's some info on that Sea Doo IS

http://www.sea-doo.net/units/2010/20...%20English.pdf

I eat sleep and breath Sea Doo's and this barge IMO is Sea Doo's attempt at "jumping the shark" Jet skis do not need seven on board computers, fly by wire throttle connected to GPS, Cruise control??? Give me a break LOL! I won't even touch that stupid suspension system.....

These things have been par with new car technology for a few years now. I shudder to think of the disasters waiting to happen to that ski when it meets Mr Shadetree LOL!
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
chipj29

Funny, when I hit reverse real hard on my Sea Doo, the nose dives down into the water. It does make it easy to turn my PWC into a submarine. I don't think I would want or need a brake on my PWC. Suspension sounds pretty cool, but I have heard there were troubles on the first year models. I will buy a used one in a few years.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Funny, when I hit reverse real hard on my Sea Doo, the nose dives down into the water. It does make it easy to turn my PWC into a submarine. I don't think I would want or need a brake on my PWC. Suspension sounds pretty cool, but I have heard there were troubles on the first year models. I will buy a used one in a few years.
I just received my RIDE ( PWC Magazine) and the new Sea-Doo's look great to me. The magazine has a great article on the 2010 PWC's Model Review. I have a Sea-Doo and I have loved it! I continually go all over Lake Winnipesaukee on it. I live up in Green's Basin so I have to travel to get to much of the lake. I would love one of the Sea-Doo models. Prices range from $11,599-$14,699.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I just received my RIDE ( PWC Magazine) and the new Sea-Doo's look great to me. The magazine has a great article on the 2010 PWC's Model Review. I have a Sea-Doo and I have loved it! I continually go all over Lake Winnipesaukee on it. I live up in Green's Basin so I have to travel to get to much of the lake. I would love one of the Sea-Doo models. Prices range from $11,599-$14,699.
And even higher $$. I thought I saw the RXT-iS 260 priced at $16k. That is an insane amount of money to me. I will get one, but not brand new. In about 4 years I will be in the market for a 2010 model, by then it will be around $6k or less.