Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
winni wanderer

Unhappy Help! Pontoon Trailer Needed.

Wondering if the general boating community can help? I went to retreive my pontoon from the lake ( yes, i am one of the procrastinators ) only to find out my trailer is no longer usable,rust has finally taken over the frame. The boat only gets moved a short distance to the house. The pontoon is 28'. It is located in Moultonborough at the long island boat ramp. If anyone knows of or has one please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. I tried Trexler's here at the bridge but they do not own a pontoon trailer! Thanks in advance to anyone out there !!!!
winni wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Just Sold

Try Meredith Marina - they sell pontoon boats so they should have a trailer. (603) 279 - 7921

Goodhues in Moultonboro may have a trailer but their web site is too basic with no info about what they sell. (603)253-7889
Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
feb

Default Winnisquam Marine

Winnisquam Marine has trailers for pontoons and tri-toons.
feb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni wanderer View Post
Wondering if the general boating community can help? I went to retreive my pontoon from the lake ( yes, i am one of the procrastinators ) only to find out my trailer is no longer usable,rust has finally taken over the frame. If anyone knows of or has one please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone out there !!!!
You can try Trailer Outlet in Tilton and ask for Joe (Owner). They are a wholesaler/retailer and have hundreds of different types of trailers on the lot. I believe they also have used, but not all types and styles. The phone number is 603-524-4344 and 1-888-350-6500. He gives real good prices and I have bought 5 trailers from him and have never had a problem what-so-ever. Good luck and Happy Holidays. Check the site

Last edited by RLW; 12-04-2009 at 05:55 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
winnidiver

Default Independent Marine

Independent marine in Moultonborough. Does take outs. http://www.independentmarine.com/welcome.html
winnidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
winni wanderer

Thank you all for your guidance.Most of the marinas are interested only if i will store it with them. I had planned on buying one come spring when finances are better but the trailer wasn't aware of my plans. Is there anyone who would like to use perhaps there own trailer and pull it out? Like i mentioned in my original post it only needs to go less than 300' up the road to it's resting spot from the boat ramp on Long Island. Let me know if anyone can do this . Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni wanderer View Post
Thank you all for your guidance.Most of the marinas are interested only if i will store it with them. I had planned on buying one come spring when finances are better but the trailer wasn't aware of my plans. Is there anyone who would like to use perhaps there own trailer and pull it out? Like i mentioned in my original post it only needs to go less than 300' up the road to it's resting spot from the boat ramp on Long Island. Let me know if anyone can do this . Thanks again.
Sounds good, but how does one get it off the trailer to take it home with them unless one has one that you can raise up and a 28 footer isn't a small boat.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Kinda like the tablecloth and the dishes

You simply back up rapidly toward where the pontoon boat will sit and just before you get there, you slam on your brakes, throw it in drive, and take off the other way. Boat slides off and sits neatly on lawn til spring.

Then in the spring, you invite several of your young strong, heck-ya-we-can-pick-it-up friends over, ply them with wonderful strength giving libations, have them pick it up, and place it on the new trailer. Simple
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
jst_4_kiks

what type of pontoon is it? regular twin tube or a tri-toon? if regular then can be done with a crank-type center trailer. tri-toon needs a bunk-type trailer. many people needed to lift a 28 foot tri-toon atleast 8 or so strong people on each side. or some sort of jacking system to get it off a trailer. good luck with your boat transport.

any questions PM.

Kyle

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
winni wanderer

Thanks Kyle, That is exactly the type of trailer i had, the scissor type or center crank type or i also believe they call them by the mfg. of most of them ''Hoosier'' trailers. It is indeed just a typical pontoon not a tri-toon. As difficult as "upthesaukee" makes it sound,i have the support blocks already in place so all anyone would need do is back the boat in place and simply lower the boat onto the blocks. Whole pullout if it lasts longer than 1/2 an hour would surprise me. Thanks for responding Kyle.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
RLW

I would say that you are kinda running late asking for help with a boat trailer as most are loaded up and put away for the winter at this time. I think your best chance at this time is to move your spring plans up to now and purchase the trailer and then you will not be in this position later.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
sunset on the dock

Wish I had that kind of trailer but I don't. Only 300 feet? For that short a distance couldn't you patch up the rusty trailer with a little bit of scrap metal, a bunch of clamps and/or bolts? That's my kind of project.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
winni wanderer

I must say i agree with you! But being on the lake is like an addiction........."JUST ONE MORE DAY OF BOATING AND THEN I'LL STOP !!!!!!" Yes i think you're right but people have a way of surprising you. I have seen some pretty cool things happen from this forum. All i can say is i have reached out and we'll see what happens. Alot of these type of trailers are owned by by a group of pontoon friends who pitch in on one trailer.Then use it to take all the boats out with.It is not the type of trailer you leave the boat on(although you can) It fits between the pontoons and has a cable that like on a regular boat trailer is attached to a crank. except when you use the crank on this type of trailer it makes the trailer go up or down.So you put blocks under the pontoons and then lower the boat by the crank onto the blocks and drive away. Same thing in reverse come spring. When i posted this request i assumed those who owned this type of trailer would be the ones to respond and there would be no boat on the trailer and it would be sitting there waiting for spring. (unless someone might have a semi emergency ) But it is always interesting when you put yourself out there on this forum. Thanks again to all who have tried to help.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
winni wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Wish I had that kind of trailer but I don't. Only 300 feet? For that short a distance couldn't you patch up the rusty trailer with a little bit of scrap metal, a bunch of clamps and/or bolts? That's my kind of project.
If i did try that and the patch should fail i would have a bigger problem with a boat sitting in the middle of the road. But i did think of trying it. Time is now more of the issue. Should have inspected trailer last month but it was at a different local that i don't visit except to get the trailer. I think it was weak and something fell on it to cause it to break. Either way i thought i would this as plan A. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Learn something everyday

WW, I have not seen a trailer such as you described, and in my ignorance just assumed (that troubling word again) that your trailer would be like mine...got racks the boat slides on and a crank to pull the boat up the last couple of feet.

Thanks for the education.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
RLW

Trailer looks like this. Click to view
upthesaukee (12-07-2009)
Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
Irrigation Guy

I beleive Goodhue Marine can take care of that for you.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #18
Just Sold

Those that have a pontoon trailer for a group of toon's generally leave it under the last one pulled. That is what happens at my friends place in Barrington. He happens to own the trailer but he takes his neighbors out and drops them at their cottage's before taking his out. That way he is last out and 1st in.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #19
trfour

Default No Pontoon Trailer...

Some folks that came to visit me at the camp on Paugus Bay towed their boats behind their motor homes. I always towed the boats over to Christmas Island and put them in the water with my pickup truck.

Surely someone will help winni wanderer with his pontoon!
I have faith!

Happy Holidays to all!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
jst_4_kiks

Contact Andy with Complete Marine Care 603-651-9727. Manages Harilla Landing Yacht Club on Long Island. Has the crank up trailer made by Yacht Club. Can Handle a large pontoon no problem. Very reasonable prices.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #21
ApS

Default A PM-Worthy Project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
"...For that short a distance couldn't you patch up the rusty trailer with a little bit of scrap metal, a bunch of clamps and/or bolts..?"
My thought, too. After all, it was adequate for the beginning of the season. You'll need a jack, a short piece of 4x4, a ½-inch drill, a 6-foot piece of metal (or pipe) and four ½-inch bolts.

It's possible your trailer won't return obediently into alignment—which is a good indicator that there's some strength left in the trailer. You could back a corner of your truck over the part that is "disobeying". (You would be using the jack to lift the trailer upwards—against the truck's weight—to return it into alignment).

It's a long story, but a hibernating Black Bear caused me to resort to a similar "procedure" .

'Sounds like a project that FLL would handle, so in addition to the above items, you'll need a couple of Big-Mac double-cheese, mushroom-bacon cheeseburgers, too.

Oh yes: join Triple-A just in case.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
winni wanderer

Thumbs up jst 4 kiks is the man, aka "Kyle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst_4_kiks View Post
Contact Andy with Complete Marine Care 603-651-9727. Manages Harilla Landing Yacht Club on Long Island. Has the crank up trailer made by Yacht Club. Can Handle a large pontoon no problem. Very reasonable prices.
Just so everyone knows another forum miracle has happened! jst 4 kiks has set me up in a huge way. The boat is coming out !!!! ( the frown is because the boat is coming out for the season ) IF I COULD FIND A WAY TO PUT SNO-CAT TRACKS ON IT I WOULD. Come to think of it..... picture that, a pontoon tooling across the lake like a trail groomer!!!!!!! o.k I'm back from my little fantasy trip. Thank you Kyle, Can you PM me i would like to give you my # if you should ever need a hand. Thank you "WINNI FORUM" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
winni wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
WW, I have not seen a trailer such as you described, and in my ignorance just assumed (that troubling word again) that your trailer would be like mine...got racks the boat slides on and a crank to pull the boat up the last couple of feet.

Thanks for the education.
"UPTHESAUKEE" it's o.k i actually got a laugh out of it !! I enjoy your threads and responses on this forum keep'em coming.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #24
sunset on the dock

Let us know when it's safely out of the H20.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote