Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
nj2nh

Default Weather next week?

Okay, someone please tell me that weather.com and the National Weather Service are wrong and that it is not going to rain 6 of the 8 days we are at the lake next week?

Sixty degrees and rain on Friday? Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jersey Girl
(two days and counting - well, maybe not)
Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
NHKathy

Default Check WMUR, New Hampshire's local channel 9

I alway use WMUR's web site, i find them to be accurate for my travels to NH.
Here's a link to their weather page:

http://www.wmur.com/weather/index.html

(Although, they don't provide a 7 or 10 day forecast)

-Kathy
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl
(two days and counting - well, maybe not)
OK, you asked. It isn't so!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Paugus Bay Resident

There guess is as good as mine
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Island Life

My weather site shows mid-to-high 70s and cloudy. None of the days look terrible (I don't worry too much about projected "scattered" thundershowers), they just don't look sunny - yet. Next week is still so far away, the forecast is likely to change.

That being said, I did have the wood stove going three of the five days I was up there last week.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USNH0261
Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Smile Whether the weather is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Okay, someone please tell me that weather.com and the National Weather Service are wrong and that it is not going to rain 6 of the 8 days we are at the lake next week?

I can't count how many times weather.com and the Weather Channel have ruined a trip to Winnie for me. I would check the forecast, decide to stay home and then look at the forum posts and cams and discover I often missed beautiful weather. So, I'd say you may be in for some good weather. I use those two sources just for radar and imagery rather than forecasts.

I do often check Boston' Fox 25 TV Weather. You can click on their Weekend Sneak Peak icon and find a choice of three regions to look at. One of them is Lakes and Mountains and seems to be fairly accurate. No great details but a nice general idea and it looks good for this weekend so far.

Hope you have a great week.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
kjbathe

Smile Looks good to me

Other than the showers on Friday night (60% chance of precip), it looks good through Tuesday. And beyond Tuesday it's just too early to tell right now. Get up here!

What I've found is that a chance of scattered thunderstorms at any time during the day (like those currently forecast for the second half of next week) typically results in the weather summary showing the graphic/icon for cloudy/rain/lightning -- to which we naturally react and groan, "Ugh....rain." Even if the scattered storms are forecast for late in the day, the same icon usually applies.

That's when I turn to the chance of precipitation. In my experience, a 30% or less chance of precip generally means a sunny and dry day on the water. 40% has me reading to see when the precip might arrive and in what form. 60%, I'm thinking of waving off the day as I've twice been caught in some strong storms, so it's not worth the risk.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
mets3007

Default Weather

In the summertime thats normal with thunderstorms that happen because of the humidity,I would not let that stop me from going. Im going to be up at the Weirs which would be my 20th summer at the Weirs, for 3 weeks one in July and 2 in August and I am not going to cancel because of the rain, get up and enjoy it, its still better than NJ.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up Agreeing with METS3007!

Jersey Girl,

Just remember -- A bad day at the lake is better than a good day in NJ! Don't believe everything you read. Right now the weather link to wunderground.com shows cloudy Sat. and Sunday here in Bergen County, while both CBS and ABC TV weathermen are predicting a gloriously sunny, 80 degree and low humidity weekend. So who do you believe?? Head to the lake and enjoy! I'll be there myself on Monday 6/25.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
mets3007

Default Anything better than NY

Ill be at the lake on July 8th wooooooooooo hoooooooo can't get here soon enough I have been counting the days lol. There are plenty of things to do if it rains like Funspot if you have kids or a kid at heart plus shopping at antiques like Burlwood or go to the Moultonborough Country store on Route 25 , catch a movie at the theatre across from the airport, or see a play at the Winni Playhouse or you can just walk the boardwalk with an umbrella like I do. It beats NJ or NY as I said before.

PS I sound like the Chamber Of Commerce lol, but I have had many of rainy days up there and it doesnt not and will not stop me from enjoying lake Winni.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
hazelnut

Default From Crazy AL WNDS:

Saturday will feature a mixture of sun & clouds with high temperatures 70-75

Sunday will feature a mixture of sun & clouds with high temperatures 75-80

I'll tell ya this guy si usually right on with his forecasts.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
rander7823

Default And the water temp just hit 70

I have been waiting for the temp to hit that magic 70 degrees and it finally has. There is something about that threshold that makes it feel much warmer
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
AC2717

Question Weathermen/women

I do not trust them anymore, only weather report I trust is when I go outside and look up and see what is going on. Oh by the way I have to remember if it is raining to put my head back down or else I will drown like a Chicken when it rains lol hee heeee
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823
I have been waiting for the temp to hit that magic 70 degrees and it finally has. There is something about that threshold that makes it feel much warmer
I dropped the thermometer probe into the lake last weekend and it was reading 72.7 about a foot down off Mark Is. I didn't believe it at first, but after jumping in for a swim and having no immediate urge to get out, I thought it was about right. Do folks have readings from other parts of the lake or is the 70 degree report from the Lakeport Dam?
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Island Life

Default Getting better

The forecast is looking better already. Projected temps are up and a few days show sun.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
nj2nh

Thumbs up We're coming!

Heading north THIS AFTERNOON!

Now I have to pack. Blech.

After 46 summers, I believe I do know every single conceivable thing to do at the lake on a rainy day. We even do some of the sunshine stuff anyway like hiking the trail at the Loon Center one stormy afternoon. That was fun (imagine sarcastic look here).

We used to take a ride on the Mount when it rained since you used to be able to get something free (can't remember what) if you rode in the rain. They don't do it anymore, though.

My favorite thing, though, is to sit on our covered, screened porch and just watch it pour (as my hair curls horribly). Thunderstorms are even better. I love how the thunder just rumbles around in the hills. And I love watching the rain come towards us across the lake - totally cool.

Being in our boat in the rain? Nothing worse than that though - really, nothing worse.

So, instead of days, we are down to hours. My kids are hauling suitcases up the stairs so I gotta get going.

Jersey Girl
(6.5 hours and counting!)
Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
ghfromaltonbay

Default I'll be right behind you!!!

Jersey Girl,

Have a safe trip to Peggy's Cove. I'll be right behind you, heading to Sandy Point on Monday 6/25. Let's hope we all have good weather next week. WOOHOO!!!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #18
gtxrider

Default I took the weather!

I just came home yesterday The past week was BEAUTIFUL! As I left the lake it started to rain! I went out in the boat around 2:00PM to retrive a run away yellow swim line ball from Sandy Point the sun was out but it was starting to rain. I left Alton Bay at 2:30 and by the time I reached Pittsfield it was raining. Had rain most of the way to Joisey. 7.5 Hr ride going in the wrong direction, bummer! To use a Jimmy Buffett song title "The weather is here wish you were beautiful"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
hazelnut

Smile

Just got here today and it was quite windy and cool. I hope the weathr gets better but who cares...... I AM HERE FOR SIX WEEKS. Yeee haaaa. Yep just began a nice six week stay with the family out here on Cow Isle. Life is good!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote