Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
milesbob

Default Acura MDX Timing Belt Change

My 2014 Acura MDX light came on saying I need a timing belt and water pump changed as I am now over 100k miles.

Dealer says to do those plus serpentine belt and hydraulic thing and coolant will run $1,300.

Anybody know of a shop up in Meredith/Moultonboro area or even south that is knowledgeable, and can do this without worrying it was done correctly.

thanks
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
fatlazyless

www.autohausmeredith.com is where I would take it to see what they say.

So, my 2013 Scion xB, 5-speed manual, with 205,000 miles still has the original four spark plugs, original continuous belt, orig fuel pump ...... all that's new are tires, brakes-140k, various light bulbs, wiper blades, oil/filter, anti-freeze, and engine air filter and had the front windshield replaced once ...... so, how does that work ..... what's up with this. Plan to keep driving it until it needs some unknown super expensive repair or something????

And, when that happens, I will call Busky's Auto Repair in Ashland to come haul it in for repair on their flat bed truck ....... that's my plan. Busky's in Ashland, Rt 93-Exit 24, is a wicked good repair place for a car like mine!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-06-2020 at 09:46 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbob View Post
My 2014 Acura MDX light came on saying I need a timing belt and water pump changed as I am now over 100k miles.

Dealer says to do those plus serpentine belt and hydraulic thing and coolant will run $1,300.

Anybody know of a shop up in Meredith/Moultonboro area or even south that is knowledgeable, and can do this without worrying it was done correctly.

thanks
Dover Honda...1165.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
www.autohausmeredith.com is where I would take it to see what they say.

So, my 2013 Scion xB, 5-speed manual, with 205,000 miles still has the original four spark plugs, original continuous belt, orig fuel pump ...... all that's new are tires, various light bulbs, wiper blades, oil/filter, anti-freeze, and engine air filter and had the front windshield replaced once ...... so, how does that work ..... what's up with this. Plan to keep driving it until it needs some unknown super expensive repair or something????

And, when that happens, I will call Busky's Auto Repair in Ashland to come haul it in for repair on their flat bed truck ....... that's my plan. Busky's in Ashland, Rt 93-Exit 24, is a wicked good repair place for a car like mine!
The original poster was posting that his timing belt light came on at over 100,000 miles.

I could be wrong, but I believe your Scion has a timing chain instead of a timing belt. A timing chain should last a lifetime without any issues, while timing belts do need to be changed around the 100K mark.

Shame on Automobile Companies to continue producing vehicles with timing belts instead of timing chains.... A real easy change on the production line!
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
WinnisquamZ

I remember years ago I owned something that had to change the belt every 30k. Last few cars I always investigate belt or chain. Never belt

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #6
songkrai

Many newer vehicles have an engine with a timing chain. With a timing chain - usually needs no maintenance and will last virtually forever.

Engines with timing belts. The timing belt is a piece of rubber/plastic - usually.
The timing belt should be changed as per owners manual.

There are two types of timing belt engines.

Interference and Non-interference.

If you have an interference engine and the timing belt breaks - the engine is toast. Gone. Destroyed.

If you have a non-interference engine and the timing belt breaks - the engine just stops. No damage to engine.

When purchasing a new or used car. It is best to check what kind of engine that car comes with. Can save quite a bit of money down the road.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
jeffk

You might give Burn's Automotive in Moultonborough a call.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Most 4cyl cars have gone back to chains but many V6 engines still have belts.
As warrantee's get longer the manufacturers will go back to chains as the don't want to be paying for belt replacements under warrantee.
It was all a ploy to get people to return for service and a big repair bill.
We did many timing belt replacements at my shop over the years. The earlier ones had very thin belts that wouldn't last 100K but the newer belts are much thicker and will last beyond the manufacturers recommended time change. The belt runs the water pump, that usually goes first and takes out the belt.
Belts are rubber and the biggest contributor to belt deterioration is time.
Over time they dry out and crack.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote