Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
tummyman

Default Attack at Pearl Harbor....71 years ago today

Let us not forget the hero's who died 71 years ago today (December 7th 1941..."A day which will live in infamy") in the horrific surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. As time marches on and age claims many who lived through this event, may those of us who survive never forget the sacrifices made that day nor the war that would ensue. Today, Japan is thankfully one of our closest allies....a testimony to how people can forgive but never forget. May all who gave the ultimate sacrifice rest in eternal peace.

Last edited by tummyman; 12-07-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Corrected title error
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-07-2012), camp guy (12-07-2012), dippasan (12-07-2012), ishoot308 (12-07-2012), Misty Blue (12-09-2012), PaugusBayFireFighter (12-07-2012), RailroadJoe (12-07-2012), Redwing (12-07-2012), riverat (12-08-2012), September (12-07-2012), Tallyho (12-08-2012), VitaBene (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A good time to take a moment to remember would be...

...just before 1 PM today. Depending on timelines, the time would be 753 to 755 HST, 5 hours from EST. Suffice it to say, that at 1 PM our time, we can be remembering those heroes who lost their lives, and those heroes who valiantly fought to defend our nation. Thanks to all who gave their all on this "Day of Infamy" in 1941.
AC2717 (12-07-2012), camp guy (12-07-2012), dippasan (12-07-2012), Redwing (12-07-2012), RLW (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
PaugusBayFireFighter

They played a great video of the bombing at Pearl Harbor on the big screen at my son' Navy graduation last week during the ceremony. Watching the bravest fight and die in the Pearl video and simultaneously looking down at the 1300+ newest sailors, standing at attention, was very emotional.
Thanks to all of the heroes that fought and died for our country that terrible day.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
dippasan (12-07-2012), Redwing (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Let us not forget the hero's who died 71 years ago today (December 7th 1941..."A day which will live in infamy") in the horrific surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. As time marches on and age claims many who lived through this event, may those of us who survive never forget the sacrifices made that day nor the war that would ensue. Today, Japan is thankfully one of our closest allies....a testimony to how people can forgive but never forget. May all who gave the ultimate sacrifice rest in eternal peace.
Whenever I find myself in the presence of a Veteran, whether it be at an airport, restaurant or mall, if the time is right, I make a point to approach them, look them in the eye's and quietly and respectfully thank them for their service. I love to do it. It give's me a chill every time and I especially love when I'm with my son's and they see me do it. On several occasions, when at a restaurant, I have picked up their tab without them knowing.

I love to see the old timers wearing the Veteran hat on their head or a jacket with the pins etc. If they're with their spouse or other family member, I make a point to thank them for their sacrifice as well.

I can only begin to imagine the places they've been, the hardships they've endured and things that they've seen through their eyes.
Redwing (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
RLW

Thumbs up Thanks to all Vets and now serving

I usually never forget this day as it was 55 years ago today that I joined the Naval Air out of Weymouth MA. I spent my time on this side of the Atlantic on 3 aircraft carriers. It was a wonderful experience and I was proud to be able to wear the uniform. Bless the Vets and servicemen and women for their great duties in keeping this wonderful country safe and free.

AC2717 (12-07-2012), barefootbay (12-07-2012), dippasan (12-07-2012), JMR (12-07-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (12-08-2012), Winnisquamguy (12-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
CateP

Default Wright Museum and Your Memories

I was at the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro last night for a gala fundraiser and for the first time I spent some time looking at the exhibits. It really is a wonderful museum. I felt like I had gone back in time. One display had pictures of the Pearl Harbor attack taken by a guy who had just flown in that morning. Incredible.
(I am a HUGE WWII buff)

Even though I wasn't alive that day I feel like I have a sense of what it must have felt like having gone through 9/11.

Wondering if there are forum members who can tell us about their memories of that day?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
ghfromaltonbay

Default Pearl Harbor remembered

Ever since visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial several years ago, this date has taken on more significance for me. My stay in Oahu was at Turtle Bay which was the northwest point on the island where the Japanese planes first crossed the island and used the mountains to shield their flight path until they were right on top of Pearl Harbor.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
TheProfessor

I and a friend made a visit to Normandy and the D-Day beaches and cemetery on June 6th two years ago. Quite an astonishing sight even today.
Just standing on one of the beaches locals came up and thanked me.
Each year there are celebrations and ceremonies.
St Mere Eglise still has the parachutE hanging on church. The one Red Buttons made famous. Private John M. Steele.
Lots and lots or reinactors all about.
10,000 crosses and stars are in the American cemetery in Normandy.
Many smaller monuments along the back roads.
Quite an astonishing feat and sacrifice.
All have a lot to be thankful for for those who served. And to those "KNOWN BUT TO GOD".
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
luckypete

Default Just Saying

D-Day June 6,1944 Attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7th 1941 Just Saying
The Following User Says Thank You to luckypete For This Useful Post:
tummyman (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
NoBozo

I have subscribed to DirecTV for the past many years. As part of that, they have Free Music chanels...various types...Country, 40's 50's Rock ..etc.

This past month they Dropped the 40's......The War Years. NB

PS: I was born (11-11-41) ..just three weeks prior to that (Pearl Harbor) event.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Just an Observation

I watch the first 20 minites of the Today Show..AND the cable chanels every morning......Morning Joe, Fox and Friends, C-Span, etc: There was NO Mention of December 7th anywhere. I hadn't thought of it myself..UNTIL I turned on my Local Radio Talk show......They reminded me. Where was the National Media.... NB
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I was at the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro last night for a gala fundraiser and for the first time I spent some time looking at the exhibits. It really is a wonderful museum. I felt like I had gone back in time. One display had pictures of the Pearl Harbor attack taken by a guy who had just flown in that morning. Incredible.
(I am a HUGE WWII buff)

Even though I wasn't alive that day I feel like I have a sense of what it must have felt like having gone through 9/11.

Wondering if there are forum members who can tell us about their memories of that day?
My Dad and an acquaintence of his could keep us WW2 buffs enthralled for many hours. Both Wolfeboro residents keep finding articles and souvenirs to send to the Wright Museum.

On December 7th, 1941 my Dad was a lowly Navy Ensign "getting hours" in his logbook in a patrol-bomber, known as a Catalina flying boat in England, and PBY in the states. When news of Pearl Harbor was received, he guessed he would be doing patrol in the SW Pacific, which did pan out. He probably didn't count on losing five PBYs to gunfire and misadventure, but the U. S. Navy kept giving him more of 'em. He shared a hospital room with JFK.

World War II buffs can't be complete without a subscription to World War II History bi-monthly magazine—(800) 219-1187. In the latest issue, WWII History magazine relates that, prior to Pearl Harbor—and the two Declarations of War that followed:

1) The U.S. was already in a shooting war in the Atlantic,
2) The U.S. had invaded Iceland,
3) The U.S. Coast Guard (!) removed the Nazis from Greenland,
4) and that although the PBY that sighted the Nazi's Bismarck battleship—leading to its destruction—was British, the pilot was an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I watch the first 20 minutes of the Today Show..AND the cable chanels every morning......Morning Joe, Fox and Friends, C-Span, etc: There was NO Mention of December 7th anywhere. I hadn't thought of it myself..UNTIL I turned on my Local Radio Talk show......They reminded me. Where was the National Media.... NB
The National Media needs to be reminded of Joseph Pulitzer's admonition:

Maybe this postage stamp needs to be reissued as a "Forever" stamp?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I watch the first 20 minites of the Today Show..AND the cable chanels every morning......Morning Joe, Fox and Friends, C-Span, etc: There was NO Mention of December 7th anywhere. I hadn't thought of it myself..UNTIL I turned on my Local Radio Talk show......They reminded me. Where was the National Media.... NB
They were too busy following Lindsay Lohan around!

Sad times we live in NoBozo.

Dan
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
stingray60

Default Overseas Military Cemeteries

The United States maintains 24 military cemeteries on foreign soil. The largest is the Meuse-Argonne cemetery in France. More than 14,000 World War I remains are interred there. The Normandy cemetery contains more than 9,000 graves.

Two excellent websites with lots of information and photos can be explored:

www.abmc.gov is the American Battle Monuments Commission.

www.cwgc.org is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It describes Great Britain's military cemeteries.

Both offer solemn testimony paid by young men and women for the price of war. The ABMC is dedicated to preserve that legacy. American graves will not simply vanish.

Remember Pearl Harbor!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default The Navy doesn't forget

I remember my first trip to Hawaii newly enlisted in the Navy late teens and here I am going to Hawaii, how cool is that. As we approached pearl harbor, being a newbie I was "selected" to be one of many to 'man the rails' as we pulled into port. So I put my dress whites on and step out onto the flight deck and take up a position along the edge of the deck. Now most of us sent up there were newbies, all excited to be there and had some difficulty standing there at parade rest as anticipation of beaches and babes were rattling through all our heads. As we neared the USS Arizona memorial, it caught my eye, this large white building suspended over the beautiful water, shortly before we passed it, the flight deck 1MC (loud speakers come on, captain puts us at attention. For those not directly facing the memorial, instructed to do an about face, hand salute and taps belted out as we passed by followed by utter silence for another few minutes it took to pass by. Even afterwards, not much was said, the reminder of what happened there could not have been more poignant. Later that afternoon when liberty was called, my first stop was the USS Arizona memorial. I cannot describe what it is like to see it, to be there and to experience it, but it is by far a place all Americans should visit.

Those guys were the real heros!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
CateP (12-10-2012), ghfromaltonbay (12-08-2012), RailroadJoe (12-08-2012), rander7823 (12-11-2012), thebix (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
RailroadJoe

Any servicman or American should stop and see the Arizona when in Honolulu. It really makes you think.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
ApS

Default Lessons from 71 Years Ago...

I forgot one factoid: When Congress convened to declare War against Japan, there was one "Nay" vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Ever since visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial several years ago, this date has taken on more significance for me. My stay in Oahu was at Turtle Bay which was the northwest point on the island where the Japanese planes first crossed the island and used the mountains to shield their flight path until they were right on top of Pearl Harbor.
Pearl Harbor was payback for the intransigence of US' "Isolationists—what we'd call Peaceniks or Pacifists today. Even during the war, cutbacks in training led to incredible reports by surviving WW2 pilots.

The cost of Washington's pre-war dalliance has produced more than one costly account of aircraft, pilots, and crews—here's one:

http://ships.bouwman.com/WWII-Planes/Cost.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (12-11-2012), RailroadJoe (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
John A. Birdsall

Default hawaii

In 1969 when stationed on the USS BOYD DD544, we were headed for a Westpac tour and the day prior to entering pearl harbor was the day my enlistment was over, however I extended my enlistment for duration of cruise. I should not have done that cause I did not have a re-enlistment physical and there for I was restricted to the ship. I wanted to go see the Arizona Memorial, but was not permitted to do so. I agree that every person when passing thru Pearl Harbor or closeby should go to the Arizona and pay there respects. I have never been able to get any closer than the fantal of the Boyd.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
trfour

Default History Of Sacrifice

The Price Of Freedom Is Not Free.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I forgot one factoid: When Congress convened to declare War against Japan, there was one "Nay" vote!

Pearl Harbor was payback for the intransigence of US' "Isolationists—what we'd call Peaceniks or Pacifists today. Even during the war, cutbacks in training led to incredible reports by surviving WW2 pilots.

[/url]
While in Hawaii we stayed at Turtle Bay on the northwest shore of Oahu. I noticed a large building that resembled a water tower on a bluff across the road from the resort and wondered what it was. When we went to Pearl Harbor and heard the US Parks Dept. Ranger relate the story of Dec. 7th, my ears perked up when he explained that the tower across from Turtle Bay was a radar station which was newly constructed back then and was to be placed into service on Dec. 12, 1941! The Japanese planes crossed Oahu undetected at Turtle Bay and continued SSE to Pearl Harbor. Because of the high mountains the planes were not sighted until they were directly over the basin there. It made me wonder who knew that the radar facility was 5 days from being put into service??
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
CateP

Quote:
While in Hawaii we stayed at Turtle Bay on the northwest shore of Oahu. I noticed a large building that resembled a water tower on a bluff across the road from the resort and wondered what it was. When we went to Pearl Harbor and heard the US Parks Dept. Ranger relate the story of Dec. 7th, my ears perked up when he explained that the tower across from Turtle Bay was a radar station which was newly constructed back then and was to be placed into service on Dec. 12, 1941! The Japanese planes crossed Oahu undetected at Turtle Bay and continued SSE to Pearl Harbor. Because of the high mountains the planes were not sighted until they were directly over the basin there. It made me wonder who knew that the radar facility was 5 days from being put into service??
Cool story!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Senter Cove Guy

Default Pictures

Here are some pictures from 1976 when my wife and I were there.
Attached Images

ApS (01-09-2013), CateP (12-13-2012), trfour (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #23
NoBozo

Quote:
I have subscribed to DirecTV for the past many years. As part of that, they have Free Music chanels...various types...Country, 40's 50's Rock ..etc.

This past month they Dropped the 40's......The War Years. NB

PS: I was born (11-11-41) ..just three weeks prior to that (Pearl Harbor) event.
GOOD News: Apparently some people have spoken up: 40s Music is BACK on DirecTV as of today.. Goody. NB
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Here are a couple I took at Pearl a couple years ago. We had dinner on the Mighty Mo so I took this shot off the Starboard bow.

The Mighty Mo

On the Memorial.

I did by a flag at the that flew over the Memorial on Dec 7th 2001. I also have one that flew on the USS Missouri during Desert Storm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (01-08-2013), trfour (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #25
NoBozo

Default 1987

My wife and I had the opportunity to actually SAIL in the USS Iowa, BB 61, from Newport, RI to Staten Island, NY. IOWA was the first of four battleships of that Class, (Our Largest) which included the USS Missouri, USS Wisconsin, and USS New Jersey. NB
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
NoBozo

You can find them all today if you go to Google Earth. One is in Norfolk ,VA. One is in Philadelphia, Pa.... and IOWA is in Long Beach, CA. ZOOM down and look...in the rivers... NB
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
RLW

Smile

Question: Isn't the USS Massachusetts in Fall River MA????
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #28
ApS

Default More Factoids...

Quote:
Because of the high mountains the planes were not sighted until they were directly over the basin there. It made me wonder who knew that the radar facility was 5 days from being put into service??
• An hour before the attack, a Japanese submarine was sighted from the air by a Patrol Bomber (PBY), and rammed/sunk by the destroyer USS MONAGHAN:
http://www.pearlharborsurvivorsonlin...e%20Attack.htm

The USS Ward sank another—the first shot of WW2—and was itself sunk on December 7th, 1944.

Japanese torpedoes were state-of-the-art—actually better! In the early years of the war, most enemy ships were destroyed using US torpedoes dating from WW1.

• One US submarine was sunk by a "new" US torpedo—launched by the same submarine.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08216d.htm

• Following the Pearl Harbor attack, there was a major victory at sea—but it wasn't for the US!

• If the President is still in Kailua, Hawaii, he could see that little island in the attached photograph. When my family lived in Kailua, that island was called "Rabbit Island"; since then, the name has reverted to its original native name:
Attached Images

Closed Thread