Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
VM2000

Default Internship opportunities?

I am pursuing a degree in software engineering, and I'm wondering if there are any internships available in the lakes region that could help me further my understanding of the subject. Are there any businesses in this area that provide internship opportunities for aspiring software engineers?
VM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Greetings

Welcome to the Forum. I hope we can help.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
VM2000 (01-01-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Your best bet is probably to contact a contract agency to help you out, chances are you won't find much around the lakes region but there is plenty of industry in Portsmouth, Concord and Manchester.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VM2000 (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
phoenix

There is a large copier manufacturer in Meredith that I know plans to move to Manchester but don't know if they will be around this summer and have have an opportunity
VM2000 (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Your educational institution?

Does your educational institution offer any kind of job placement service? Also check with job search agencies that deal with hi-tech employment?
VM2000 (01-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #6
tummyman

With all the changes in medical insurance, you may find a great opportunity at Lakes Region General Hospital. Would be worth checking.... You could also check in with CruCon in Moultonborough....seems their entire operation is dependent on software and they seem to be growing.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
VM2000 (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
MeredithMan

Default internship search

Hey VM--

Unfortunately, the lakes region is not the hub of high tech, so you may have to be flexible to go outside the area. You may want to check out Dyn, (now part of Oracle), in Manchester; BAE in Nashua; Data Gravity in Nashua; Extreme Networks in Salem. If you are able to go further out of NH, the greater Boston area has a multitude of technology companies which do bring on interns, both paid and non-paid.

Additionally, Deloitte Consulting publishes an annual list called the Deloitte Fast 500, which is the 500 fastest growing tech companies in The US. You can access it via a google search and you can search by state, by industry, etc. Also try Glassdoor, which is a jobsearch site for tech roles. You may also want to get on LinkedIn, if you are not already. Although it is mainly for working professionals, many college students are putting their profile on there to network and find jobs, (there is also a pretty good job search function on there too).

I am in the high tech world and I can tell you that numerous internships lead to job offers post-college, so I would highly encourage you to follow this path.

Good luck!
MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
VM2000

Default Thank you everyone!

I truly appreciate everybody's input! Unfortunately I might not get around to thanking everyone, but I hope this post serves as one big thank you!
VM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
phoenix

the company in Meredith is electronics for imaging they make very complex ink jet printers
Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
NHskier

As mentioned, check in with the Career Services folks at your school. They are likely to have contacts wth area/regional employers and may be able to help. And expanding the area to Manchester/Nashua can open up many other options.

While not all that common, some companies may be willing to consider virtual internships and that too can open up options.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I should have mentioned that I also work in the IT world - internships are available from time to time but usually they aren't advertised and shockingly enough many are filled by the kids of current employees. However I do know we have put out word to contract agencies in the past when we have positions like this to fill.

Heck you can always create a resume of sorts and post it online asking for an internship as well or maybe even a contract gig.

I can tell you one thing (looking ahead to starting your career), as somebody who is directly involved with hiring and reviewing resumes in the IT world, one thing that always gets my attention for entry level talent are those that aggressively seek out internships and can demonstrate that go getter attitude. There are far to many out there that think they are deserving of something just because they have attained a 4 year degree yet all they have to offer is a degree from wherever they went to school and nothing more. End of the day most schools no matter who it is provide a similar curriculum so it's the little extras you can show that you've done that will make you stand out, internships for sure are huge. Doesn't matter if you have a piece of paper what matters is that you can learn on the fly and get things done with a high degree of competence and better that you've gone the extra step to apply what you were learning along the way.

The only down side to what you are trying to do is that NH for the most part has limited opportunities in this space, not impossible to find just not as plentiful as you will find closer to the Boston area.

Good luck in your search - if you put yourself out there and look around I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. Just takes a little old fashioned hard work!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
kawishiwi

Default Merrimack NH - Fidelity

If you can do Merrimack NH I would suggest looking into Fidelity Investments. There have historically been a lot of internships available there. I believe it is still the largest single company location with 4 to 5k employees with a heavy software engineering focus. The campus is huge & beautiful and the Fidelity name is a good one for the resume.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #13
Water Camper

Default Interships

You might consider contacting the State of NH. I know they have offered internships in the past and they are always looking for employees.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
wifi

I like that one, the state will never move or go bankrupt, usually have great retirement packages too
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #15
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
I like that one, the state will never move or go bankrupt, usually have great retirement packages too
You sure about that bankrupt part?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote